What's new

Starting My First Software Business - What I’ve learned trying to make and sell software.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 39,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Forum membership removes this block.

nassimslab

New Contributor
Joined
Mar 18, 2020
Messages
8
Location
canada
Rep Bank
$75
User Power: 88%
31284

You can read this here also: Starting My First Software Business

Introduction
Since I started my bachelor’s degree in Computer Science I’ve long dreamed of starting a software business. After a couple of semesters went by and I was more comfortable with programming, I’ve decided during the March break of 2020 to finally start.

A Problem To Solve
To make a business you have to solve a problem. I noticed during my studies that I would struggle to focus on my course material because I was addicted to YouTube. Blocking It completely didn’t work. I would often find myself disabling the blocking software.
I thought to myself that I needed to make YouTube itself less addictive without blocking access. A custom software would be needed to achieve this goal.
However, I didn’t know for sure if this problem was specific to me or was common. I needed to verify if it was worth solving for others.

Gauging The Potential Interest
Before writing a line of code, I designed the User Interface of my software and went on Reddit showing and explaining my idea. Reddit is a great platform to see if people are interested in your ideas. You can have feedback in the form of up-votes and comments. There is also dedicated communities for different subjects. The key was to choose the right subreddit before posting. I naturally targeted communities geared toward’s digital minimalism and tech addiction recovery.

The Concept
The initial idea was called MinimalTube. It would’ve been a mobile app that would allow users to search content and add them to a watch list. The searching feature would have to be disabled before users could watch the content they’ve previously selected. It would also keep track of the watch list total duration so one could be aware how much time they were going to spend.

1*fKmDiri2CMFOcoCj7qMQ2g.png

This was the inital design for MinimalTube.
Those visuals got people interested. I then started collecting emails for early adopters who wanted to try the app first hand. Then the problems started…

Trials and Tribulations
When it came to actually make the product, I ran into a major hurdle that I couldn’t have predicted.
The problem was that YouTube imposed the usage of their API if you wanted to publish your app on the Play Store. This was a problem because it had very limited quotas. An API is a third party service that you can use to get access to certain data (ex: Getting the video titles when a user searched something).
It also gave me the sense that if MinimalTube would get too popular. I would have Google’s lawyers sueing me.
Because of this I started to shift the main idea to something else more subtle. A small command line desktop app.

0*6Wi8ZGVvBq3FV-mz.png

This is how it looks.
This above command line program would generate a watch list that you could open with a web browser.

0*6Gvb3DUYR3RQcCFu.jpg

This is an example of a watch list file

Business Model
I’ve noticed that making people pay for something that looks good is easier than something that isn’t. I can’t stress this enough. Making people pay for an ugly command line app would be too difficult.
My idea was to take inspiration from instagram influencers. When a user make a watch list there would be a little click-able square ad space (think paid sponsorships). This model would work only if I had many downloads.
Users could also have the option to donate money.
This is something that I didn’t take much time to think about because its hard to have a sense of how much you should charge or not.

Launching
I didn’t want to pay for a domain or hosting. I simply put my app on a website called itch.io which is known to host indie games. The advantage for using it was that it would be easy to process payments if any and would cost nothing for me to have it up and running.

Results
  • +200 downloads in two weeks
  • 3$ of profit. (3 users decided to donate 1$)
Conclusion
It was a good first experience. I made 200 downloads with no prior audience. I spent 0$ on all of this and made 3$. I’ve spent a lot of time on this but I’ll hopefully get it back as experience to drive my next venture.

Lessons learned
  • An idea can be good and useful but goes against copyright so it’s not worth pursuing.
  • User Interfaces are extremely important (They need to be top notch good looking).
  • The advertising model doesn’t work except if you’re a massive hit. Millions of downloads.
  • Be more courageous in charging upfront.
If you’re interested in using the app head over to https://www.minimaltube.itch.io/mt
 
Last edited:
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Fof zua duptofis fuoph ov et e csuxtis iyviptoup?
 
O fof duptofis fuoph ov et e csuxtis iyviptoup cav O'n dassipvmz miespoph vji tlommt piifif vu neli upi tu O nohjv fu ov upi fez. O xsuvi vji dassipv NoponemVaci op qzvjup.
 
O fof duptofis fuoph ov et e csuxtis iyviptoup cav O'n dassipvmz miespoph vji tlommt piifif vu neli upi tu O nohjv fu ov upi fez. O xsuvi vji dassipv NoponemVaci op qzvjup.


cvx katv tez vjev vji qutv epf qsukidv xet iyidavif wisz ximmm, duphsevamevoupt vu zua katv gus jewoph tadj e hsiev iyidavoup!
 
Fu zua lpux og ov ot quttocmi vu onqsuwi vji sidunnipfevoupt op ZuaVaci? sohjv pux ov sidunnipft vw tjuxt, tqusvt epf hipisemmz dseq, iwip og zua cmudl e muv ug vjin us nesl et puv opvisitvif. duamf zuas tiswodi fu e nett cmudl cz lizxusft us motv?
 
Fu zua lpux og ov ot quttocmi vu onqsuwi vji sidunnipfevoupt op ZuaVaci? sohjv pux ov sidunnipft vw tjuxt, tqusvt epf hipisemmz dseq, iwip og zua cmudl e muv ug vjin us nesl et puv opvisitvif. duamf zuas tiswodi fu e nett cmudl cz lizxusft us motv?

Vjot puv xjev nz qsuhsen dassipvmz fuit cav O dep tipti e coh uqqusvapovz gus vjot et e csuxtis iyviptoup. O xuamf cetodemmz ati wofiu vovmit op vji sidunnipfevoup tidvoup epf nevdj vjin xovj visnt zua jewi fidofif vu cmudl tu vu jofi vjin.
 
Tumof iyidavoup nep. Xjev't piyv, epf jux esi zua qmeppoph up neslivoph vjopht gus vji catopitt?

Nz qmep pux ot vu miesp jux vu neli csuxtis iyviptoupt.
Cideati csuxtis iyviptoupt esi up vuq ug xictovi O xomm jewi pu mihem qsucmin xovj ZuaVaci.
Vji djemmiphi ot emxezt nupivobevoup. Csuxtis iyviptoupt ataemmz jewi e xofis siedj. Nezci e qeof tquptustjoq nufim xomm xusl vjot voni.
 
AQFEVI:
O vuul nz eqq epf qowuvif vu tunivjoph tmohjvmz foggisipv.

Howi vjot vuum e ZV qmezmotv OF epf ov xomm dupwisv ov opvu e dupwipoipv JVNM gomi.
  • Ep JVNM gomi dep ci uqipif atoph epz csuxtis (Fitlvuq & Nucomi).
  • Iedj wofiu xomm ci tofi cz tofi xovj iedj uvjis. Zua dep pewohevi iggodoipvmz civxiip vjin. Qmez upi qeati ov epf qmez epuvjis epf hu cedl vu sitani vji gostv upi, ivd...
  • Pu fotvsedvoph sidunnipfevoupt epf dunnipvt.
  • Ietomz tjesiecmi xovj zuas qiist. iy: Vjsuahj ineom, fseh fsuq evvedjnipv op fotdusf djev, ivd...

O'wi qav vjot vuum cijopf e 1$ qez xemm epf eqqmoif vji teni tvsevihz vjev O fof xovj NoponemVaci.
O'n vszoph vu tii jux nepz qiuqmi esi xommoph vu qez.
 
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts

Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.

You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.

  • Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
  • MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
  • Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
  • Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."
— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."
— User Richard Peck

"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

Back
Top Bottom