The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a web design buisness from nothing.

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Mr.J

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 8, 2018
Hello all,
I'm Mr.J and this is my introduction + progress thread.
At the moment I'm trying to start a web design business to provide value to my clients by setting them up with a website that will help their business generate more clients/sales for their businesses. (Thanks @Fox for you're great thread on the subject, it really inspired me.)

The only problem is that I have no idea what I'm doing.

In terms of making websites I know the basics after taking a udemy course, but I haven't actually made anything for a client yet.

And when it comes to sales I can honestly say I'm I have no idea what I'm doing. I've sent a few cold emails that no one has replied to but that's it, I haven't even made a cold call before. In fact I'm nervous just thinking about calling someone to sell them one of my websites. For the last few hours I've been putting off making my first call. I wrote a script and watched some videos on cold calling. I also read @Vilox's thread on cold calling which was really great.

So this thread is going to chronicle my attempt to start a web design business with from nothing but but limited web design skills and a bunch of willpower.

[Today's Goal]
I will make the call today, cause even failing or sounding like an idiot on the phone is better than not doing anything. I'll make a post after I call to say how it went.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Welcome J.

Cold calling is always problematic at first, but like everything in life, you just have to do it. After the first few calls you'll start feeling a little less worried, and the fear will gradually go away, until it fades into nothing.

Heck, I cold emailed people today for the first time in my life, I was F*cking terrified. Calling is even worse fear-wise, but I believe in you pal.

Check out Crazy GG's thread, I found it great, you can already see ahead of time what you might need in your script, such as asking questions to further your knowledge as to why people might reject you, and see common objections and possible ways of dealing with them.

Good luck in your adventure man! I also need to pick up the phone more...ugh may I and my social awkwardness be damned.

Mr.J

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 8, 2018
Managed to make the call. Owner was out of town today though, so didn't get anywhere with the call. Will collect some leads over the weekend and start calling more on Monday.

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
attempt to start

That right there is wrong.

You are either going to do it, or you are not.

As simple as that.

If you are what's the plan?

Find some basic phone script, go on Yelp or yellow pages, pick a niche, find businesses with shitty websites and start dialing.

Knock out 100 calls & emails a day. Every day. In a month or two you will have a business.

True, you will suck at first but execute every day and learn how to improve every day.

An alternative to all this is you just read fox's thread and got excited about the idea. Which I'm guessing is the case.

Prove me wrong.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.J

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 8, 2018
Welcome J.

Cold calling is always problematic at first, but like everything in life, you just have to do it. After the first few calls you'll start feeling a little less worried, and the fear will gradually go away, until it fades into nothing.

Heck, I cold emailed people today for the first time in my life, I was f*cking terrified. Calling is even worse fear-wise, but I believe in you pal.

Check out Crazy GG's thread, I found it great, you can already see ahead of time what you might need in your script, such as asking questions to further your knowledge as to why people might reject you, and see common objections and possible ways of dealing with them.

Good luck in your adventure man! I also need to pick up the phone more...ugh may I and my social awkwardness be damned.

Thanks for the advice, good luck to you as well.

Mr.J

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Aug 8, 2018
That right there is wrong.

You are either going to do it, or you are not.

As simple as that.

If you are what's the plan?

Find some basic phone script, go on Yelp or yellow pages, pick a niche, find businesses with sh*tty websites and start dialing.

Knock out 100 calls & emails a day. Every day. In a month or two you will have a business.

True, you will suck at first but execute every day and learn how to improve every day.

An alternative to all this is you just read fox's thread and got excited about the idea. Which I'm guessing is the case.

Prove me wrong.

Thanks for the kick in the balls man, I really need it to get going. 100 calls a day is a bit of an insane goal for me with all the other stuff I have going on. But I will do 50 a day starting Monday after I collect some leads over the weekend.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.