The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting A Cleaning Business

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
Background

Just finished reading TMF .

I followed the usual script. I got good grades at school, went to Uni and messed around for 3 years. After leaving Uni I worked in the legal profession as a paralegal on shit pay initially. I was then offered a training contract to fully qualify as a solicitor which I accepted, before realising that I didn't want to be in the legal profession for the rest of my life and I pulled out. Since then I've taken sales roles in IT firms, start-ups, banks and the last role I was doing until very recently was selling life insurance. Hands down the worse job I've ever done, literally had the moment MJ describes in his book, sat in a f*cking cubicle age 30 thinking "How did I get here?". I quit this job to focus on mental health and got sober after struggling with excessive drink/drugs for years. 4months clean. I'm not working right now, I have some savings, maybe like £10k, I recently finished a personal training course because until I read TMF I had this great plan to "do what I love". Now I'm not sure that is the best idea and might put it on the back burner for now.

My skills/assets

- sales skills/relationship building. I can connect with people in person and over the phone. But I'm sick of making someone else rich via selling
- some savings and relatively little outgoings
- good understanding of customer service
- passion for helping others and the knowledge that solving other peoples problems is what makes money

Idea

I think a cleaning business would be pretty easy to set up and could get the wheels turning for me. Equipment would be cheap, I'm good at cleaning and I actually enjoy it. I could do a part time sales role remotely while building this to keep regular money in. I would have no problem knocking on doors and pitching/handing out fliers, could print them off, set up a website easily enough. Read quite a bit of that on here. Read @Tubs posts on that. Also read @Andy Black's post about probably already knowing enough which I took quite a lot from. I definitely don't want to bury myself in excessive research for the next 6months in a library or trying to read every single post on the forum. However I'm also aware that it's obviously a bit unconventional for a 30yo guy to decide to start a home cleaning business. Also think it has issues with making sure people are in etc which @Johnny boy mentioned. I've thought about lawn care/gardening but I think equipment would be £££ initially. I can't help thinking that anything related to roofing would be sketchy in the UK weather.........could be wrong about that though. Still a lot to learn regarding marketing/google ads, I don't really know about any of that right now.

I don't want to waste time, I feel like I need to start something. I'm here to learn and execute ASAP.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated, glad to be a part of this forum.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Background

Just finished reading TMF .

I followed the usual script. I got good grades at school, went to Uni and messed around for 3 years. After leaving Uni I worked in the legal profession as a paralegal on shit pay initially. I was then offered a training contract to fully qualify as a solicitor which I accepted, before realising that I didn't want to be in the legal profession for the rest of my life and I pulled out. Since then I've taken sales roles in IT firms, start-ups, banks and the last role I was doing until very recently was selling life insurance. Hands down the worse job I've ever done, literally had the moment MJ describes in his book, sat in a f*cking cubicle age 30 thinking "How did I get here?". I quit this job to focus on mental health and got sober after struggling with excessive drink/drugs for years. 4months clean. I'm not working right now, I have some savings, maybe like £10k, I recently finished a personal training course because until I read TMF I had this great plan to "do what I love". Now I'm not sure that is the best idea and might put it on the back burner for now.

My skills/assets

- sales skills/relationship building. I can connect with people in person and over the phone. But I'm sick of making someone else rich via selling
- some savings and relatively little outgoings
- good understanding of customer service
- passion for helping others and the knowledge that solving other peoples problems is what makes money

Idea

I think a cleaning business would be pretty easy to set up and could get the wheels turning for me. Equipment would be cheap, I'm good at cleaning and I actually enjoy it. I could do a part time sales role remotely while building this to keep regular money in. I would have no problem knocking on doors and pitching/handing out fliers, could print them off, set up a website easily enough. Read quite a bit of that on here. Read @Tubs posts on that. Also read @Andy Black's post about probably already knowing enough which I took quite a lot from. I definitely don't want to bury myself in excessive research for the next 6months in a library or trying to read every single post on the forum. However I'm also aware that it's obviously a bit unconventional for a 30yo guy to decide to start a home cleaning business. Also think it has issues with making sure people are in etc which @Johnny boy mentioned. I've thought about lawn care/gardening but I think equipment would be £££ initially. I can't help thinking that anything related to roofing would be sketchy in the UK weather.........could be wrong about that though. Still a lot to learn regarding marketing/google ads, I don't really know about any of that right now.

I don't want to waste time, I feel like I need to start something. I'm here to learn and execute ASAP.

Any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated, glad to be a part of this forum.
Can you “grow what you know”? You already have skills that people pay you for. Can you look there first. (There’s a link in my signature about Grow What You Know I think.)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm also aware that it's obviously a bit unconventional for a 30yo guy to decide to start a home cleaning business.
I don’t think that’s unconventional, never mind obviously unconventional. Are you too concerned what other people think?

One of my friends got laid off a couple of years ago. He was a career salesman. He setup a carpet cleaning business with his wife and they’re both delighted to be in charge of their destiny. They’re also both in their 50s.

Good luck and welcome to the forum @Fasted.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
You might not realize this but you are essentially sabotaging yourself.
I was then offered a training contract to fully qualify as a solicitor which I accepted, before realising that I didn't want to be in the legal profession for the rest of my life and I pulled out.
This could have been used to fuel your ideas. A training contract is for two years, not for 20.I wonder what went through your mind. Gave up a better position which you could have used to bootstrap your ideas for
sales roles in IT firms, start-ups, banks and the last role I was doing until very recently was selling life insurance.

When you’re at your lowest is not the time to start a business.

I would have no problem knocking on doors and pitching/handing out fliers, could print them off, set up a website easily enough.
So you have no problem getting your hands dirty, so to say, but you have a problem with being a solicitor as a way to bootstrap your ideas? Lol.

I might get criticised, but I don’t care.
If I was in your position, I’d go back, get qualified and save everything so I can use for my business.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
Can you “grow what you know”? You already have skills that people pay you for. Can you look there first. (There’s a link in my signature about Grow What You Know I think.)
Thanks for this. I listened to that radio interview. Regarding growing what I know:

- the legal aspect to my career was years ago and I never enjoyed it. Besides, I didn't fully qualify so there's no real option to consult/provide legal advice in any capacity.
- sales wise, yes I definitely have sales skills within companies that I have worked for but not sure how I could grow this to be something standalone and not within 7 days. Sales consulting or a sales training business would be a massive stretch I think. I'm not a sales superstar I've just done £25kbase + 7-10k commission for a few years type of thing. I would absolutely be prepared to do remote work part time sales roles though if needs be, while I build home service/cleaning business. But I probably do have enough savings to see if I could get that off the ground without having to work part time, at least for a 1-2months.
- PTing was going to be the one that I was going to "do what I love". But now I kind of feel like it might ruin what I love. And when I'm honest with myself I'm also slightly concerned that I don't really care about others' fitness journeys, I only really care about my own. Feels like I'd just be getting into it for the wrong reasons.

Regarding what you said about caring what others think, yeah I think I do care what others think and that has been a problem in the past.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum, glad you got some value from the books.

PTing was going to be the one that I was going to "do what I love". But now I kind of feel like it might ruin what I love. And when I'm honest with myself I'm also slightly concerned that I don't really care about others' fitness journeys, I only really care about my own. Feels like I'd just be getting into it for the wrong reasons.

Depends. There is satisfaction in helping people, and many times, it doesn't matter the kind of help. The problem I have with PT is you can't scale it and IMO, it likely will sour you on training. I know if I spent 8 hours in the gym + 1 for myself, I'd get pretty sick of it fast.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
I know if I spent 8 hours in the gym + 1 for myself, I'd get pretty sick of it fast.
Thanks for commenting. Yes, I think I'm (slowly) coming to this realisation.

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Hey there @Fasted welcome to the forum.

I understand exactly where you're coming from, I think it's best when starting out to do something that translates to money pretty quickly like cleaning. I actually ended up kind of transitioning more towards lawncare after initially starting with cleaning because I got more traction with it, and ended up enjoying it more. I only got to make that transition after putting myself out into the market getting feedback from it. The key is to do a little research and then put yourself out there and adapt your business to the market as you go.

Services are a great way to start, a few that I think could be a good idea are:
  • Home painting
  • Home cleaning
  • Window washing
  • Gutter cleaning
  • Lawn care
  • Power washing
Fairly low barriers to entry for all of them.
I think home painting might be the highest earner on the list, but it does take a little skill to learn to paint quickly and with good quality. As well as how to give estimates and sell the jobs.
Cleaning probably pays the least but is the easiest to just get started with.

Anyways I don't know if any of these would necessarily make someone rich, but my aim at the moment is getting a decent income to fund my modest lifestyle and to eventually fund something bigger.

I hope things go well for you, if you need any help bouncing ideas back and forth feel free to send me a message.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
There's two situations if you're just starting out.

1. You have a unique connection or family business you could hop into. Or you have some unique situation to take advantage of ("What should I do I just inherited 27 rental homes" type of situation). Or you have some insane skill that you can monetize.

2. You have none of those things.

In situation 1, take advantage of it and that is where you should start. I always recommend getting involved in a family business. I have two friends that make mid six figures in their 20's because number 1 they are smart and number 2 they got involved in their family business and did a great job. Not taking anything away from them, they're smart business owners, but if you have something to take advantage of, do it. If you have an actual skill like the ability to build products with a cnc machine, or coding experience, or whatever, use that too.

In situation 2 (which is where I was), where you have nothing other than common sense and a burning desire to be free, I like either high-end sales, home services, or a combination of the two. There's also digital marketing businesses, ecommerce stuff but I am not the expert in those. I like high-end sales (not car sales or selling life insurance lol, but rather enterprise level sales, big ticket stuff) because you can make big big money. My best friend is soon to be an account manager at a huge company that sells telehealth and other stuff to hospitals and the entire VA as well. The top sales guys there make millions each year. He should be in the mid 6 figures in a couple years as a salesman there. He's doing great right now too. We both sold cars before doing what we do now so I'm not saying it's a bad job to start off with for a year.

I also like home services because it's not cutthroat like trying to sell on Amazon, and you can get started with practically no money. And you'll be pretty much guaranteed to make some money if you're not dumb and can handle some elbow grease. You can get a brush and a ladder and make a grand a day cleaning off roofs. Not bad at all. You can get a recurring business going like I have and not really have to work at all and have employees do it.

You can try to build it up like I am trying to, or you can use it to fund other things. When you become a business owner you tend to roll with a different crowd and make new friends. All of my friends are on a different path than the scripted sidewalk/slowlane path. Most of them own a business and are pretty much free. You'll learn from them, see how they do things, and gain a lot of experience just by osmosis. When you grow your own business up a bit and have some actual cash saved up, it will only be the next logical step for you to have another idea, throw a bit of money at it, and have another business going. You may even do some joint ventures. It's good to have friends that are on a higher level. You'll talk about your goals to pull in 275k of profit next year and the buddy with a centurion card will tell you to stop thinking small and be more intelligent. Gotta love that shit lol. Keeps you responsible and on track.

The important thing is to break away and start hustling. It will have 100 other benefits to your life and soul that I can only sorta describe. It will change the way you think and how you see the world and the sooner you break away the better. Even if you just escape the misery of listening to average people talk about their retarded distractions like sports and politics, going out on your own to start a business will pay dividends for you. Trust me.

There's a million different types of businesses and almost all of them are not a great place for you to start. I don't think you'll do very well right now opening up a manufacturing plant to build circuit boards for CNC machines, or opening an oil refinery, or things like that. Those can come later. For now, just get hustling and keep your eyes open for opportunities. You only see them when you think differently than other people. Maybe you start a service business and realize all of the tools you use suck. For example when I was cleaning off a roof, I was annoyed at the brushes I was using and couldn't find one that was effective and made for roofs. I think you could manufacture one that had very firm bristles and was shaped better for use on a roof. Then you use money you saved up to run some ads and make a 3-d mockup and try to get sales to test the market, then you make them and sell them once you've confirmed demand, then you scale up your marketing and now you're making money selling brushes to other roof cleaners. Just an example.

Skys the limit just start walking now.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
I really appreciate you talking the time to write that out, there's a lot of value and common sense in what you said.

Well I don't have 1. so that's out lol.

I also like home services because it's not cutthroat like trying to sell on Amazon, and you can get started with practically no money. And you'll be pretty much guaranteed to make some money if you're not dumb and can handle some elbow grease. You can get a brush and a ladder and make a grand a day cleaning off roofs. Not bad at all. You can get a recurring business going like I have and not really have to work at all and have employees do it.

Yes this. Like you said I can just start walking with it. But I'm thinking internal domestic cleaning will be what I will start with initially. I think it's the most viable option based on where I am for a few reasons:

- Currently a massive property boom in Manchester, new apartment blocks going up all the time and the city is growing. A lot of them don't have gardens or standalone roofs, they're obviously just in blocks.
- the weather is bad in northern UK, especially at this time of year (having said that that could mean roof clearing could work even better...)
- But it just seems risky lol. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I think the roofs over here might be steeper than yours, are yours not quite flat??
- I've had a couple of quotes for regular cleans where I've rented and they just seem extortionate, I think I could undercut them. I had an end of tenancy quote recently for a one bedroom apartment, £150. No way it can take more than 3 hours to clean a one bed if you get your shit together.

So yeah I'm not saying that roofing/other outdoor services wouldn't work and I imagine I could charge more with those too. It's also possible all these are bullshit excuses but I think cleaning might work better out of the blocks. I can literally just get a decent hoover and supplies and go. If it doesn't take off with some graft the outlay would be minimal and I could pivot.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I really appreciate you talking the time to write that out, there's a lot of value and common sense in what you said.

Well I don't have 1. so that's out lol.

Yes this. Like you said I can just start walking with it. But I'm thinking internal domestic cleaning will be what I will start with initially. I think it's the most viable option based on where I am for a few reasons:

- Currently a massive property boom in Manchester, new apartment blocks going up all the time and the city is growing. A lot of them don't have gardens or standalone roofs, they're obviously just in blocks.
- the weather is bad in northern UK, especially at this time of year (having said that that could mean roof clearing could work even better...)
- But it just seems risky lol. I'm not saying it can't be done, but I think the roofs over here might be steeper than yours, are yours not quite flat??
- I've had a couple of quotes for regular cleans where I've rented and they just seem extortionate, I think I could undercut them. I had an end of tenancy quote recently for a one bedroom apartment, £150. No way it can take more than 3 hours to clean a one bed if you get your shit together.

So yeah I'm not saying that roofing/other outdoor services wouldn't work and I imagine I could charge more with those too. It's also possible all these are bullshit excuses but I think cleaning might work better out of the blocks. I can literally just get a decent hoover and supplies and go. If it doesn't take off with some graft the outlay would be minimal and I could pivot.
150 for 3 hours seems really low for a service. You need to pay for labor and expenses times 1.75 at least for it to make sense. One person will cost you 2500 a month, add in 500 a month. 3k. You need like 6k a month in revenue from one person working for you. 21 working days a month divided by 150 and you'd need to set them up to do 40 jobs in a month. That's two a day.

That seems easy, 2 jobs a day. But it's a real motherfcker. People do not have perfect schedules. Some jobs take way too long and there's problems. Some people cancel. You need them to be there to let the employee into their home. You can't really do 3 in a day if they are taking 3 hours each plus drive time. This only works by a small margin IF everything goes right and you have a perfect schedule and a pipeline full of customers begging for a spot in your schedule, which isn't always the case. Those prices are actually too low.

Think of it like this, you need to find a way to get one employee to go out and EASILY produce at least $300 a day. You solve that, you're in business. That's assuming $15 an hour for an employee. 20x your employee hourly cost per day is a good rule of thumb.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
sales wise, yes I definitely have sales skills within companies that I have worked for but not sure how I could grow this to be something standalone and not within 7 days. Sales consulting or a sales training business would be a massive stretch I think. I'm not a sales superstar I've just done £25kbase + 7-10k commission for a few years type of thing. I would absolutely be prepared to do remote work part time sales roles though if needs be, while I build home service/cleaning business.
^^^ This is what jumps out at me from what you wrote.

Is helping businesses improve their sales such a stretch if you’ve already done it before?

I agree that selling a service (aka your time) is the fastest way to get started. Cleaning is a tried and trusted route to get started in business, and you can leverage your sales skills/knowledge.

Also consider asking around in your current network to find out if they know anyone who needs help with sales. As per: HOT! - When your back's against the wall...

Maybe also check out the braindump threads in my signature.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
150 for 3 hours seems really low for a service.
Fair enough - I felt robbed at that price but I haven't looked at the numbers like this. It also could be just two hours work maybe I'm wrong to assume it took 3 hours.

Think of it like this, you need to find a way to get one employee to go out and EASILY produce at least $300 a day. You solve that, you're in business. That's assuming $15 an hour for an employee. 20x your employee hourly cost per day is a good rule of thumb.
Okay. So $300 is like £225 and lets call $15ph equivalent to £12.50ph (it's actually more like £11.50 but £12.50 looks like the going rate for cleaning online). They work 8hr days so that's £100 for their wages, I double it for my takings and expenses so that's £200 per day, I make £100 per day. So not far off £225/$300. £100 x 21days per month is £2100 and I'd make the same. After tax and national insurance that's like £1750 per month which is £20k a year. That's a really decent salary for a cleaner.

Obviously that's not factoring in travelling to jobs and actually getting 8hours of productive work every single day of the month. Apologies if If I seem a bit slow on the uptake/dim here but I'm just trying to work it out in a way I understand. Just me doing it initially I make 20k, pretty shit, granted. But then I get another employee its 40k, another one its 60k. I know it's not exactly Fastlane yet but is that not viable? I absolutely need to get my shit together on this before I suddenly start running about with a hoover and mop thinking I'm making money.

Also consider asking around in your current network to find out if they know anyone who needs help with sales. As per: HOT! - When your back's against the wall...

Maybe also check out the braindump threads in my signature.

Okay I will look into. You're right, I shouldn't just be turning my back on skills I already have.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
Maybe I'm being too generous with that hourly rate. National min wage increases in April 22 to £9.50. So I could maybe give them £10.50ph and profit the difference, again 8hrs a day that gets £232 per day where I get £148 and they get £84.00. In that example they'd be bringing in over the equivalent of $300 per day which would meet your x20 criteria @Johnny boy. But not easily. Any issues like customer not in or only having say 6hours work on a given day would obviously affect what they could bring in. I don't know how that would even work, an employee expecting a full 8hrs a day work and pay but me only having 6 or less on some days......what then?

Georgia Cleaner.JPG

This is a flier I found in my apartment blocks. I guess I'd be looking at around that for starters. She doesn't mention hourly rate. Hourly rate becomes more relevant once I start to employ someone. She might be charging equivalent of £25ph, where a regular weekly clean for a one bed tends to take an hour. One offs she just charges more because there's no regularity. I presume for it to be regular they have to commit to a minimum of 4weeks/months direct debit or something otherwise they pay the one off rate, not sure

Maid2clean1.jpgMaid2clean2.PNG

Maid2Clean are one of the biggest in my area. Again they must want a direct debit commitment for the regular ones to avoid the booking charge. They charge a booking fee for one offs and then put the hourly rate on top, minimum of 2hrs so thats £64 for a one off clean. Using that model, doing two "one offs" a day would be good for starters and I could just look to grow from there.

Just throwing out some ideas.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
About sales and how to do it standalone - when we had our tech startup (now failed), people just called us and asked if they can help us grow - usually without any flat fee upfront. Not that they brought many customers, but there were some successes, and one long-term partnership.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
About sales and how to do it standalone - when we had our tech startup (now failed), people just called us and asked if they can help us grow - usually without any flat fee upfront. Not that they brought many customers, but there were some successes, and one long-term partnership.
Yep commission only sales absolutely there’s opportunities there, I’ve done some of this previously. Will start picking up the phone after Xmas/new year. Would work well just as casual remote work while I try and build the cleaning. Thanks for your comment.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe I'm being too generous with that hourly rate. National min wage increases in April 22 to £9.50. So I could maybe give them £10.50ph and profit the difference, again 8hrs a day that gets £232 per day where I get £148 and they get £84.00. In that example they'd be bringing in over the equivalent of $300 per day which would meet your x20 criteria @Johnny boy. But not easily. Any issues like customer not in or only having say 6hours work on a given day would obviously affect what they could bring in. I don't know how that would even work, an employee expecting a full 8hrs a day work and pay but me only having 6 or less on some days......what then?

View attachment 41228

This is a flier I found in my apartment blocks. I guess I'd be looking at around that for starters. She doesn't mention hourly rate. Hourly rate becomes more relevant once I start to employ someone. She might be charging equivalent of £25ph, where a regular weekly clean for a one bed tends to take an hour. One offs she just charges more because there's no regularity. I presume for it to be regular they have to commit to a minimum of 4weeks/months direct debit or something otherwise they pay the one off rate, not sure

View attachment 41229View attachment 41230

Maid2Clean are one of the biggest in my area. Again they must want a direct debit commitment for the regular ones to avoid the booking charge. They charge a booking fee for one offs and then put the hourly rate on top, minimum of 2hrs so thats £64 for a one off clean. Using that model, doing two "one offs" a day would be good for starters and I could just look to grow from there.

Just throwing out some ideas.
I’d guess being the cleaner would be the simplest way to start.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yep commission only sales absolutely there’s opportunities there, I’ve done some of this previously. Will start picking up the phone after Xmas/new year. Would work well just as casual remote work while I try and build the cleaning. Thanks for your comment.
Many businesses are prepared to pay for leads, booked calls, or sales. Or even just for a marketing or sales related service.

There’s many ways to get paid too. By hour, by project, by task. Flat monthly fee, fixed amount per lead/booking/sale, % of revenue/profit, etc.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
Many businesses are prepared to pay for leads, booked calls, or sales. Or even just for a marketing or sales related service.

There’s many ways to get paid too. By hour, by project, by task. Flat monthly fee, fixed amount per lead/booking/sale, % of revenue/profit, etc.
Like this one is definitely worth a shot. 05EE0FE2-44A6-4F30-AE09-BBE22F3F13A3.png

Cool_Llama

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Nov 10, 2019
Dallas, TX
Hi there @Fasted
I know where you are coming from. All the jobs that I've worked at I've always told myself "WTF are you doing here???" It wasn't until the last job that I've had it. A "F*ck This Event". I walked out of my job without saying a word.
  • No more calling another man my boss.
  • No more dealing with annoying coworkers.
  • No more making another person rich while I barely make a living.
  • No more same boring commutes every day.
  • No more paying into "company benefits" like health, dental, vision insurance. I had to pay expensive premiums and then you still pay out of pocket when you go to the doctor. These aren't benefits, that's a scam. Also, most insurances don't cover everything.
  • I can go on and on...
I see that you are interested in starting a cleaning business, have some savings saved up, and don't have a job. That's great!

What I really recommend for everyone starting out/going their own way is a SERVICE BASE BUSINESS. I don't know any other type of business model like a service base business where you can:
  1. Start making money right away.
  2. Like Donald Trump will say "YUUUGE MARGINS"(huge margins/high margins)
  3. In a service business, there are typically high demands. Cleaning, handyman, gutter cleaning, landscaping, etc.
  4. Typically low cost to start. What I do is mounting and furniture assembly services. In total, I have spent only around $300 on tools. It's crazy if you think about it, I only had to spend $300 to buy my freedom. I no longer have and will work a job.
A cleaning business is actually a pretty good business to start. You get recurring clients since clients need cleaning services more than once. Get quality cleaning tools though, it might get expensive but with quality tools, you don't have to worry about it breaking on you mid-job and quality tools typically makes the job more efficient.

YouTube and Amazon Kindle are great resources to learn about the service you want to provide. In your case(cleaning business). For example, what and what not to use on floors and surfaces to avoid damages.

Go after it brother, I would say not to get a part-time job. A job takes away your time and energy. Go after this 110% or don't bother at all. Once you mastered the business, you can actually start hiring employees and letting them do all the work while you just manage them.

Good luck to you Fastlane Brother. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
Quick update.

- bought a decent hoover
- spoke to a cleaner I know who's been doing it for years, gave me lots of advice and helped me decide on an initial price point
- put an advert on Gumtree
- ordered 1000 flyers that arrive in a couple of days

Right now I just need to keep it simple and not make things overly complicated while I get started. Website, different advertising methods, exact profit margins etc etc. Need some money coming in first.

Will report back when I've got my first job.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
First couple of clients today.

2 bed apartment clean. They asked if I do carpet clean as well, which I don't, so just said I'd get someone to do it and include that in the price. Found this old timer guy who said he'd do it for £30, tried to get him to do it it for £20 because it was a really small area but he was having none of it lol. Nice chap though I'm sure I'll need his help again. Charged them for my 4hrs work for the cleaning at £15ph plus added an extra £10 onto carpet mans price. Leaving me with £70.00.

Then went to an end of tenancy clean that I quoted yesterday and started like 2hrs work of it yesterday. I said I'd do it for £225. He pushed me back to 200 and was still umming and ahhing saying he'd call me back next day (which I knew from my sales roles never F*cking happens), so I said right I'll do it for £175. It was A LOT work though, all sorts of shit I had to move, the place was an absolute state. Probably around 6hrs work for £175, that's still around £30ph but really he's got that done cheap. It should have been at least £225 but I guess I just wanted the graft and money.

Got another 2 bed booked tomorrow so that should be another £60. That'll be like £300 quid cash for 2 days work. Not gonna make me rich but it's a start.

Maybe I should move this to execution thread now? Not sure how I'd do that.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe I should move this to execution thread now? Not sure how I'd do that.
Done.

Well done getting started and not being afraid of graft.

olli_23

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Dec 14, 2021
Well done! Lots of respect for you for just getting started like that. I think the first step is the most difficult. Once you have momentum my guess is things will become easier.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
Well done! Lots of respect for you for just getting started like that. I think the first step is the most difficult. Once you have momentum my guess is things will become easier.
Appreciate that man

DMass

Breaking Chains One Day At A Time...
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 11, 2021
That’s great work. You’ve literally created money out of nothing! It’s a great feeling when you do that!

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
£385 for the week from 3 days work. Could have been more like £450 but had to say no to a couple of smaller jobs because they wanted the work done at specific times that coincided with other work.

Feel like £500pw is a good goal to aim for right now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.