The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spreadsheet Templates?

ButchSchlong

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 26, 2019
Knutsford, UK
Hi everyone,
I work in engineering and have just transitioned from project management to risk management in my 9-5.(im still very much sidewalk / slow lane). As part of developing the risk management capability within the business I have been developing the processes procedures and templates.

My main focus for the past week or so was a spreadsheet risk register which had a lot more features and was easier to use than any of the templates which were in the business previously or freely available online. Plenty of complex formulas and macros etc etc.

This got me thinking. Is there a market for producing templates like this? More having specific templates for sale to people / business rather than freelance?
id welcome any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hey Butch,

Long answer short: Ofcourse there is a market for this!

You just need to find the audience that needs it the most and also realizes that they need it enough, so that they are willing to pay you good money for it.

Im a chemical engineer myself and I know exactly what you're talking about, when you say that you build processes.

I really like the idea, perhaps try offering a gig on fiver or something similar, just to test and see if you get any interest.

Best
Champion

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
gig on fiver
That's a nice idea to test it.

Basically i don't know if anyone would buy excel scripts.
I think you'll have to test it.
You also might try to sell them via Gumroad which would handle payments and downloading.

Put some google or fb ads and see what happens.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hmmm. I’ve not seen spreadsheets for sale (but haven’t looked either). I’ve been asked if I’d sell some of my spreadsheets though. There’s a lot of Excel courses out there - that’s another angle. And there’s lots of online calculators. Try some keyword research?

ButchSchlong

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
May 26, 2019
Knutsford, UK
Thanks for the feedback. Thinking about it a little further I think businesses would need them to be aligned to their own wider processes, so spreadsheets for sale might not work unless I could produce a suite of documents which all work together as a management system and could be branded.
I’ll have a look at 5er and see if there is any interest. Great suggestion btw.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Ever look for a template? Lots of noise in the Google search similar to vector images and fonts. That said, there is definitely a tier above all that selling directly to the professional whose problem it solves. I'd look at LinkedIn ads to your target demo along with Facebook.

EnviroAaron

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 22, 2019
Melbourne, Australia
Interesting idea, and a topic I deal with often (spreadsheet use/development).

I'm and enviro sci (ecology) and have a few environmental risk assessment spreadsheets that I use to calculation risk. They are a bit more involved and advanced that the usual Likelihood X Consequence scenario.

I've been struggling with some of the formulas/setup, so was just going to see who i could find on the likes of Upwork. As you seem to have gotten to anyway, the issue I see is that they are often so business/user specific, that I'm not sure you'd find a huge market for off the shelf templates.

Maybe there is a way you can offer a 'standard' template that can then be optioned it to suit (content, colours, layout, etc)?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.