The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sports Guy Joins the Fastlane

theblake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Aug 2, 2016
United States
Hey everyone, I'm Blake.

After many months of lurking, I finally read @MJ DeMarco book from start to finish in three days. I used Evernote to capture all of the ideas that stuck with me, which resulted in 20 printed pages of notes.

It is the most valuable book I've ever read in terms of changing my mindset to how I approach my future.

But as everyone knows, reading is not enough. Applying the knowledge is what matters, and admittedly, I haven't always been the best at doing that.

That's why I'm here. I feel that connecting with like-minded people is the best way to push myself forward and get out of my comfort zone.

As for where I'm currently at:
  • I've been working remotely for two years as a full-time freelance writer/editor. I make 3x the amount that I was making in my old full-time job in a school system and make my own hours.
  • I've been a freelance writer for nearly 10 years now (side hustle until two years ago), which has ultimately provided me with the experience needed to land larger, higher paying jobs.
  • My area of expertise is sports, and I'm viewed as an authority in my field. And this is one of my biggest sticking points, as I've sort of hit a wall where I'm trying to figure out how to scale sports expertise to an even higher level.
  • I make a decent living (considering that I write about sports and essentially work for myself), but feel that I'm leaving a lot of money on the table due to my struggles with identifying a specific niche/market within the sports realm and making products for that niche. Most of the content that I produce is not evergreen, so it's typically a matter of quantity over quality.
I can't thank MJ enough for the value that he's added.

It has changed my way of thinking, and ultimately, I believe it will help me finally turn the corner from a business perspective (even if that means leaving the sports field and using the web/writing skills that I've learned to succeed in a better area).

I look forward to learning more and interacting with everyone in this great community.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Welcome to the forum. I can't help but think to suggest creating something around sports. Deadspin comes to mind.

Think about pain points. When you watch sports news coverage on ESPN or read about it online, what are thing you think could be done better?

Is there a certain type of coverage you think is lacking?

What about certain sports that get under reported?

You've been in the industry long enough to have a couple of these frustrations. Take something broken, do it better.

theblake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Aug 2, 2016
United States
Welcome to the forum. I can't help but think to suggest creating something around sports. Deadspin comes to mind.

Think about pain points. When you watch sports news coverage on ESPN or read about it online, what are thing you think could be done better?

Is there a certain type of coverage you think is lacking?

What about certain sports that get under reported?

You've been in the industry long enough to have a couple of these frustrations. Take something broken, do it better.

Thanks for the feedback on this. I've definitely noticed some of these frustrations in the past and just haven't found the right way to capitalize on them yet.

I've already started creating a couple of test sites with coverage on certain sports and teams that don't enough coverage to satisfy their market. Even if they don't work out, the experimenting will help me figure out which types of content work best.

The biggest challenge for me is battling the constant 24/7 news and opinion cycle of sports content. I'm trying to find ways to create evergreen sports content, whether that's through writing books for a specific sports market or creating affiliate/product-based sites for coaches of a specific sport.

Either way, the "pain points" focus is definitely a good strategy. Thanks again for your input.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting an intro. Sounds like you will be a GREAT fit around here -- someone out in the trenches and GETTING SHIT DONE!

Hope to hear more from ya!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theblake

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Aug 2, 2016
United States
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting an intro. Sounds like you will be a GREAT fit around here -- someone out in the trenches and GETTING SHIT DONE!

Hope to hear more from ya!

Much appreciated, MJ! Look forward to learning from everyone here and hopefully provide value from the lessons that I've learned throughout the years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...