The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spicymemer45's Adventures in Capitalism (For life)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
There's a lot of ways you can get a decent website up and running quickly. I took a basic web design class in college which covered HTML and CSS coding, and like a lot of things in life, it is tedious and confusing at times. Getting something to move where you want it, making sure you didn't leave any errors in your code, dealing with deprecated (old) code that doesn't groove anymore. I am currently running a niche info website which I built partly to learn web design, SEO, paid advertising strategies etc. So far it has been a huge learning experience. I am trying to drive as much traffic as I can so that I can monetize the page and bring in some money--anything--even if it's just beer money, it will be a success. I bought a domain for $10 and paid for a year of hosting, then built my page with the Wix platform.

Now, when you go with a template system, all of the underlying code is already there, you're just dragging the pieces around. But you can sort of mess with the HTML a little if you want to. I know enough about coding to alter things a bit to get what I want. With Wix, Weebly, etc you will see that most of the templates are super flashy, image dominant themes. I don't think that's very good. My theory is that people will not be bothered by a simplistic design, as long as they can get to the information quickly. In my class we conducted numerous usability tests, and found that many websites are laid out to look pretty, but the information is buried. Most people tend to muddle through sites instead of reading directions, so if your target doesn't find what he/she is looking for in the first few seconds they will leave. That's called a "bounce."

You could do this website in 4 pages or less: A simple, to the point landing page WITH your services and pricing listed there, right off the bat - an About page (take lots of before and after pictures, maybe put some testimonials there) - and a Contact page. Regardless of the contact page, you also need to plaster your phone number all over that bitch, on the top and bottom of every page so that nobody has to look more than a few seconds to find it. There's a lot more to this than I can spell out in one post, but there are lots of great books out there to help guide you the rest of the way. Just keep executing and teach yourself little by little. Cheers!

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Read and listen to Joe Polish

Welcome To Your Best Source Of Free, Useful & Valueable Knowledge About Marketing

He started off as a broke carpet cleaner before discovering the power of marketing. Now, he's a multi-millionaire (think his carpet biz runs on auto) and runs a $25k/year mastermind and interviews the top people in the world.

Listen to the early episodes of I Love Marketing when just Dean and Joe discuss the basics of marketing. They will give you all you need to market a carpet business.

Their podcast,while sitting in my nasty gray cubicle in 2011 propelled me into what I do now many years later.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Any suggestions on how to make going door to door more effective

Find a street with a few houses that could do with a bit of TLC. Pick one and make the front garden look amazing (do it for free or crazy cheap). Go to the neighbors and point "look how amazing Bobs lawn looks"

They will hire you both because you did a good job, but also because they don't want their house to look like crap next to bobs

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Local Carpet Cleaning Services.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's Execution:

Still on the hunt for a truck, did some of the neighbors yards, and alas for purchasing the truck I need a decent credit score.

And F*ck me sideways I have no credit card. So today will consist of Craigslist hunting or some other creative way to shift my way into a truck. Because God knows you can't fit a mower in a Cavalier

Cheers!​

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Don't give up! You can sometimes find an entire carpet cleaning setup complete with rig used for less than $10k. I started my mobile detailing business for about $750, including machine/chemicals/hose/tools. I fit the whole outfit in the trunk of a ford crown victoria, slapped some big magnet signs from vistaprint on the doors, got a square reader, and advertised exclusively on craigslist. Made enough money to live off all summer between college semesters

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Little bonus: After I got off work last night me and my girlfriend had it out and broke up, I was surely pissed but I sat down later that night and the emotions I knew had to felt and moved past and I thought about going after the things we want MOST in life.

Proof that the best laid plans are always subject to detours and roadblocks. Kudos to you for tucking your head down and charging forward in spite of some shitty news.

I like the candy bar idea you've got going on. People make all kinds of subconscious associations with good tastes and smells. In practice, munching on a nice candy while reading your business card will create a positive association with you and your business.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I love threads like this man.

Just getting out and doing. No pondering, no delaying none of that. Just hustle.

Keep it up

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Another day of progress, I like the VLOG idea. That was worth a good laugh. I wanted to share with you the story of how I became infatuated with the carpet cleaning business. A few years ago I was a broke sailor living in Hawaii and trying to find a place to live. I got this apartment and it was definitely in a bad place but all I could afford. When I walked in with the realtor, the first thing that popped into view was this enormous stain on the carpet, proportional to a human body. It was probably nothing, but the manager said they would send a guy over to take care of it. The day arrives and Mr Carpet shows up, and we strike up a chat. It turns out he had spent the past 30 years island hopping in the Pacific and cleaning carpets for the government and stuff. He'd been on islands you never knew existed, Pahnapei, Kwajalein, Bikini. Places we used to test nukes at. We talked about aliens and three eyed
nuclear fish and existentialism, and I watched his machine spin away at the fibers of my carpet. An hour and some gentle raking later, and the carpet looked like a million bucks and Mr. Carpet was $200 richer. I was just in awe. Later in practice I learned that you earn every penny in sweat, but in this service you have great potential to dazzle your customer with instant, right before your eyes value. Do a side by side comparison of clean vs dirty when you get your first customer, and I guarantee you will begin setting in motion some serious PULL that will sustain your business regardless of advertising.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Today's Execution:

Been driving from Virginia, today I'm moving furniture into a long term shelter for a homeless man, afterwards it's a coin toss because it looks like hella rain is coming. Website is being worked on atm, looking into Vistaprint for some spicy business cards. Slow day!

Have a lovely day Fastlaners.

Cheers!

(Shoutout to the lads following this thread, always appreciated!)​

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
You should be able to get a really simple (but effective) website up in less than a weekend using WordPress. It doesn't need to be too fancy, just real functional.

Then hit up @Andy Black. Getting clients for businesses like your is his jam. Check out all his stuff if you haven't already (Adwords)

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Google Rohan Gilkes. His claim to fame was building a maid service biz and documenting it on Reddit. He also got into yard work and carpet cleaning (if I recall correctly). You should be able to find good info to start you off by looking up his stuff.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Much appreciated! <3

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I have not worked specifically in carpet cleaning, as my former business was in mobile auto detailing, but I've cleaned a lot of carpets and once desired to hang my own shingle in that world. The best thing you can do for yourself is get good quality equipment that is lightweight and not awkward to use. You don't want your unit to break down in the middle of a job. You'll be doing lots of "walkups" and carrying your gear upstairs. Make sure you charge extra for "walkups." Next, decide if you want a self contained unit or a van mounted unit. I have seen some agitators that you can hook into a kitchen sink or bathroom shower and you're good to go, whereas with a van unit you need to have sufficient length to get all throughout the property you're working on. The advantage to using a van mount is you supply your own water and power. **beware** portable carpet machines draw a lot of power, especially the heated extractors, and I got so tired of tripping circuit breakers in people's homes that I downgraded to a smaller machine for my detailing work at a loss in quality. Everyone uses different chemicals, and a lot of carpet guy's create their own proprietary "juice," so just experiment with different kinds and see how they do. FOLEX is a good stain remover.

You will find it doesn't take a lot to impress the customer. You will see a huge difference with most carpets, and impress the hell out of the customer. Just know, most people are very reluctant to have their carpets cleaned--you have to move furniture, it gets wet for a long time, sometimes it has a strong chemical odor...these are the things you should market to them as solutions. Work around the furniture, choose equipment with superb drying suction, make a second pass with just water to get out the soap, choose "green," "pet friendly," or "eco friendly" chemicals. Don't neglect the revenue you can generate through "dry cleaning" as well. You gotta know what kind of carpet you're dealing with, because some cannot be wet cleaned. Best of luck to ya, I always got great satisfaction with getting someone's carpet clean.

ZeroToOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
May 6, 2017
KS

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Still on the hunt for a truck, did some of the neighbors yards, and alas for purchasing the truck I need a decent credit score.
You don't need a credit score or a loan to get a truck. Craigslist is the right way to go. Good decision. If you really want to save some $ get a small utility trailer for your cavalier and get busy!

By the way, you might be surprised by how much equipment you can get in the back of a van.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Great thread. Really respect the hustle. Are you still working on carpet cleaning in the background?

Rep+++

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Hey man, found out about you through that other forum post of the 19 year old who seems to be making waves for all the wrong reasons.

Dude, well done. Glad to see your dedication and motivation to your craft and how you are moving forward.

How are you handling the night shifts and then going to cut lawns the next day? I don't say this from a negative mindset, but I also work night shifts as well and want to make sure you are taking care of yourself bud.

You have my interest and I will be checking back here for sure.

Last edited:

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Of course, given your name and avatar, things may take a turn rather quickly ;)
Either way, along for the ride.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Google Rohan Gilkes. His claim to fame was building a maid service biz and documenting it on Reddit. He also got into yard work and carpet cleaning (if I recall correctly). You should be able to find good info to start you off by looking up his stuff.
That guy is a boss. Some epic Reddit threads documenting his processes. New business is very cool as well

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
Love your posts man and the hustle.

Ditto on the site (i coulnd't find where you said you wanted/needed one), If ya need help, just let me know.

Easy to get something up. I use instapage for a bunch of testing, super simple, drag and drop, templates yadda yadda. Just don't fall into the rabbit hole of 'making it perfect', i've spent countless hours 'perfecting' a site that didn't need to be perfect.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's Execution:

Everyday I get more and more fed up with being an employee. What I need right now is a site, I need a better way to reach people, I need to make it easier for them. Sorry for the lack of posts, I'm just busy and pissed (In a fiery drive way)

Any thoughts, I know it's all over the place, thanks for keeping up!

Cheers!

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 8, 2017
UK

This is a great suggestion. For someone non-technical who needs a great website quickly, Wix is brilliant.

They have great templates, you'll be setup in no time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DanInSyd

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Nov 7, 2016
I've only caught about half of this thread, so this might have already been mentioned, but have you thought about doing this as a pseudo franchise operation?

This is a great idea, check out 'Jim's Mowing' here in Australia, its a franchise of Mowing/Gutter Cleaning/Landscaping etc. Started as 1 part-time business, now there is nearly 4000 franchises in the Group (branched out to many industries; Cleaning, Fencing, Plumbing etc).

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:
Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Today's Execution:

First of all, a shoutout to @jpanarra who's been the biggest help! Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

It's been good as far as business goes for the past couple of days. I'm just at my wits end or at least that's how I feel at the moment.

My mother's close relatives (cousins) the four out of her family residing in Mississippi, experienced a tragedy.

A CO2 leak killed the mother and father during their sleep and damaged the little sister, the brother came home to that scene and found a neighbor and attempted to save them. My mother and I are also becoming increasingly distant, for the majority of my life she has raised me as a single parent and imparted a Christian value set onto me. I've recently rejected it in it's entirety and she and I stayed up all night arguing about it.

And I don't want to seem like a selfish cunt, I want to comfort her but I would feel less of a man if I told her that I still believed.

But I woke up today, excited, still going. Thank you all so much for the support.

<3

Cheers!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.