The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spicymemer45's Adventures in Capitalism (For life)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
ACCOUNTABILITY

The thing my mother desired for me to have when I first discovered the glory that is the female species...

Anyway!

This will be my progress thread that I will update daily with current objectives. And I will frequently ask for feedback, comments are welcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goals:

Local Carpet Cleaning Services.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's Execution:

Today I carpet cleaned my own home and watched videos to further the quality of cleaning for future cleanings. Created multiple postings on job boards that are local, By the way if someone wants to let me know the success they've had with Direct Mail advertising, let me know.

Did the pricing for my services, decided to use commercial model heat steamers that are similar to the ones used by the best companies who have gone before myself. Looked into chemicals that are the most effective.

As for the rest of today. Before I start going door to door. What's some good advice to really let the customers know I care and how can I benefit them?

I was thinking of a free room cleaning, maybe with like a bag of candy. Name the business Candy Carpet Cleaning. Lol

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Google Rohan Gilkes. His claim to fame was building a maid service biz and documenting it on Reddit. He also got into yard work and carpet cleaning (if I recall correctly). You should be able to find good info to start you off by looking up his stuff.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Google Rohan Gilkes. His claim to fame was building a maid service biz and documenting it on Reddit. He also got into yard work and carpet cleaning (if I recall correctly). You should be able to find good info to start you off by looking up his stuff.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Much appreciated! <3

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I have not worked specifically in carpet cleaning, as my former business was in mobile auto detailing, but I've cleaned a lot of carpets and once desired to hang my own shingle in that world. The best thing you can do for yourself is get good quality equipment that is lightweight and not awkward to use. You don't want your unit to break down in the middle of a job. You'll be doing lots of "walkups" and carrying your gear upstairs. Make sure you charge extra for "walkups." Next, decide if you want a self contained unit or a van mounted unit. I have seen some agitators that you can hook into a kitchen sink or bathroom shower and you're good to go, whereas with a van unit you need to have sufficient length to get all throughout the property you're working on. The advantage to using a van mount is you supply your own water and power. **beware** portable carpet machines draw a lot of power, especially the heated extractors, and I got so tired of tripping circuit breakers in people's homes that I downgraded to a smaller machine for my detailing work at a loss in quality. Everyone uses different chemicals, and a lot of carpet guy's create their own proprietary "juice," so just experiment with different kinds and see how they do. FOLEX is a good stain remover.

You will find it doesn't take a lot to impress the customer. You will see a huge difference with most carpets, and impress the hell out of the customer. Just know, most people are very reluctant to have their carpets cleaned--you have to move furniture, it gets wet for a long time, sometimes it has a strong chemical odor...these are the things you should market to them as solutions. Work around the furniture, choose equipment with superb drying suction, make a second pass with just water to get out the soap, choose "green," "pet friendly," or "eco friendly" chemicals. Don't neglect the revenue you can generate through "dry cleaning" as well. You gotta know what kind of carpet you're dealing with, because some cannot be wet cleaned. Best of luck to ya, I always got great satisfaction with getting someone's carpet clean.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I just had an idea come to my head that might help you out. For most people, carpet cleaning only happens once every 5-10 years, so you want to incentivize them to come back yearly and remember your company. Have some nice looking refrigerator magnets made up which are worth a 10-15% discount. Include a blank white area somewhere that you can write on with marker a date 12-24 months from your cleaning visit, kind of like an oil change sticker. If they have a repeat service done in that time, they get the discount, and they will put the magnet on their fridge and think of you every time they walk by.

ZeroToOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
May 6, 2017
KS

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
Read and listen to Joe Polish

Welcome To Your Best Source Of Free, Useful & Valueable Knowledge About Marketing

He started off as a broke carpet cleaner before discovering the power of marketing. Now, he's a multi-millionaire (think his carpet biz runs on auto) and runs a $25k/year mastermind and interviews the top people in the world.

Listen to the early episodes of I Love Marketing when just Dean and Joe discuss the basics of marketing. They will give you all you need to market a carpet business.

Their podcast,while sitting in my nasty gray cubicle in 2011 propelled me into what I do now many years later.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC

Goals:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's Execution:

Good morning Fastlaners, just a morning update, today I go to a few dealerships to inquire about some vans or trucks where I can put the power supply in and linkage for hot steam cleaning.

Also doing some landscaping sidework. Any suggestions on how to make going door to door more effective?

Cheers!​

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Any suggestions on how to make going door to door more effective

Find a street with a few houses that could do with a bit of TLC. Pick one and make the front garden look amazing (do it for free or crazy cheap). Go to the neighbors and point "look how amazing Bobs lawn looks"

They will hire you both because you did a good job, but also because they don't want their house to look like crap next to bobs

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Today's Execution:

Still on the hunt for a truck, did some of the neighbors yards, and alas for purchasing the truck I need a decent credit score.

And F*ck me sideways I have no credit card. So today will consist of Craigslist hunting or some other creative way to shift my way into a truck. Because God knows you can't fit a mower in a Cavalier

Cheers!​

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Don't give up! You can sometimes find an entire carpet cleaning setup complete with rig used for less than $10k. I started my mobile detailing business for about $750, including machine/chemicals/hose/tools. I fit the whole outfit in the trunk of a ford crown victoria, slapped some big magnet signs from vistaprint on the doors, got a square reader, and advertised exclusively on craigslist. Made enough money to live off all summer between college semesters

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
Still on the hunt for a truck, did some of the neighbors yards, and alas for purchasing the truck I need a decent credit score.
You don't need a credit score or a loan to get a truck. Craigslist is the right way to go. Good decision. If you really want to save some $ get a small utility trailer for your cavalier and get busy!

By the way, you might be surprised by how much equipment you can get in the back of a van.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Today's Execution:

Good afternoon all! Today I handed in my week's notice at my Grocery Retailer job and will be working in a manufacturing position for triple the money on a night shift, this way I can keep a income to pay the bills for the time being. And in the day I'll be busy building this business.

The truck has been acquired from a very good family friend, tomorrow I set off to mow my first yard! The sun doth shine upon my back!

Cheers!​

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Today's Execution:

Mowed the first yard and it went well, weeded, edged and cut. The customer was happy and was quite pleasant. Left them with a bag with their favorite candy bar and a business card. They said they'd want me back again.

Little bonus: After I got off work last night me and my girlfriend had it out and broke up, I was surely pissed but I sat down later that night and the emotions I knew had to felt and moved past and I thought about going after the things we want MOST in life.

Even if you fail, F*ck it, you'll feel the pain but it'll be fine.

Cheers!

(Shoutout to the lads following this thread, always appreciated!)​

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
While your yardwork venture may not currently be considered Fastlane, it's encouraging to see a progress thread that starts with action. I've seen a bunch recently that start out with "I'm going to build a website, and do research, and watch videos," and nothing seems to be happening.

I'm a firm believer that you will learn more by actually doing, than any research you perform.

Interested to see how this turns out for you - you seem like a person that will make things happen.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
While your yardwork venture may not currently be considered Fastlane, it's encouraging to see a progress thread that starts with action. I've seen a bunch recently that start out with "I'm going to build a website, and do research, and watch videos," and nothing seems to be happening.

I'm a firm believer that you will learn more by actually doing, than any research you perform.

Interested to see how this turns out for you - you seem like a person that will make things happen.

What's this? A supporter? Why thank you Mr CareCPA I am off to work, enjoy your day and thank you for the upliftment.

Cheers!

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Of course, given your name and avatar, things may take a turn rather quickly ;)
Either way, along for the ride.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Little bonus: After I got off work last night me and my girlfriend had it out and broke up, I was surely pissed but I sat down later that night and the emotions I knew had to felt and moved past and I thought about going after the things we want MOST in life.

Proof that the best laid plans are always subject to detours and roadblocks. Kudos to you for tucking your head down and charging forward in spite of some shitty news.

I like the candy bar idea you've got going on. People make all kinds of subconscious associations with good tastes and smells. In practice, munching on a nice candy while reading your business card will create a positive association with you and your business.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I love threads like this man.

Just getting out and doing. No pondering, no delaying none of that. Just hustle.

Keep it up

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

Today's Execution:

Top of the morning lads and ladies! I've landed two more yards on a weekly recurrence (I live on the Eastern Seaboard, plenty of rain, sun and fun) and I'm outta food lion now and making a nice 20 an hour working a third shift in a manufacturing plant. I'm really embracing the chaos and this is without a doubt the most fun I've ever had and heart breaking and painful (worth it)

It's a F*cking rush.

I'm watching the power of word of mouth and it's quite the thing, people have been relatively friendly so far.

Got a really hilarious story to post later tonight.

Have a lovely day Fastlaners.

Cheers!

(Shoutout to the lads following this thread, always appreciated!)​

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
You've got the soul of Steve Buscemi, you know that? This guy..millionaire actor, ugly guy, k'now? Anyway, he was once a NYC fireman, and on 9/11 he quietly slipped down to Manhattan and rejoined his old company, doing whatever he could to help out. A real class act. Keep on keeping on, you've got this.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Little bonus: After I got off work last night me and my girlfriend had it out and broke up, I was surely pissed but I sat down later that night and the emotions I knew had to felt and moved past and I thought about going after the things we want MOST in life.​

It doesn't seem like it in the moment, but girls, like money, are abundant.

(Money doesn't seem abundant when you're broke, and girls don't seem abundant when you're lonely...)

But, always more girls on the girl tree...ya know?

Keep going!!!!

:smile:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Damnit how did I miss this thread? I remember when you joined the forum and posted a bunch of cringeworthy memes. But you took the criticism of the forum and moved on.

You're now doing actual business which a good portion of this forum can't claim.

Good work! Keep pushing it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Today's Execution:

Top of the morning lads and ladies, doing some mulching today around the neighborhood (and might I just tell you one thing about mulching it STAINS every damn thing if it gets in your clothes lol)

I'm so hyped I shed real tears, another truck has been acquired (A nice 2006 F-150) and it was for free! The details are rather boring but it's alot to take in. Really not much more to say yet but I thank you all for your support and feedback!

Have a lovely day Fastlaners.

Cheers!

(Shoutout to the lads following this thread, always appreciated!)

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Great thread. Really respect the hustle. Are you still working on carpet cleaning in the background?

Rep+++

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.