• Discuss Entrepreneurship | Start-Ups | Starting a Business | Wealth | Money | Success | Investing
  1. Escape the Grind. Resurrect The Dream. Live Happily Ever After.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

Don’t just build a business—build a life and a legacy. UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is a specific subset of business creation that awakens dreams, frees time, and explodes incomes—but more importantly, it changes lives.

Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.
    KICKSTART YOUR PERSONAL REVOLUTION TODAY.
    Get The Book(s) Download More Info Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Change Yourself.
Change Your Life.
Change The World.

Tired of broke bloggers giving you advice? Within minutes, get millionaire advice from real entrepreneurs who live the dream.

Progress Thread Spicymemer45's Adventures in Capitalism (For life)

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Spicymemer45, Jun 21, 2017.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. Spicymemer45

Spicymemer45 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,283
    ACCOUNTABILITY

The thing my mother desired for me to have when I first discovered the glory that is the female species...

Anyway!

This will be my progress thread that I will update daily with current objectives. And I will frequently ask for feedback, comments are welcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goals:

Local Carpet Cleaning Services.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's Execution:

Today I carpet cleaned my own home and watched videos to further the quality of cleaning for future cleanings. Created multiple postings on job boards that are local, By the way if someone wants to let me know the success they've had with Direct Mail advertising, let me know.

Did the pricing for my services, decided to use commercial model heat steamers that are similar to the ones used by the best companies who have gone before myself. Looked into chemicals that are the most effective.

As for the rest of today. Before I start going door to door. What's some good advice to really let the customers know I care and how can I benefit them?

I was thinking of a free room cleaning, maybe with like a bag of candy. Name the business Candy Carpet Cleaning. Lol

Cheers!

2. LateStarter

LateStarter Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,112
    Google Rohan Gilkes. His claim to fame was building a maid service biz and documenting it on Reddit. He also got into yard work and carpet cleaning (if I recall correctly). You should be able to find good info to start you off by looking up his stuff.

BrooklynHustle, Scot and Spicymemer45 like this.
  3. Spicymemer45

Rep Bank:
    $1,283
    Much appreciated! <3

BrooklynHustle and G-Man like this.
  4. mike24601

mike24601 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,914
    I have not worked specifically in carpet cleaning, as my former business was in mobile auto detailing, but I've cleaned a lot of carpets and once desired to hang my own shingle in that world. The best thing you can do for yourself is get good quality equipment that is lightweight and not awkward to use. You don't want your unit to break down in the middle of a job. You'll be doing lots of "walkups" and carrying your gear upstairs. Make sure you charge extra for "walkups." Next, decide if you want a self contained unit or a van mounted unit. I have seen some agitators that you can hook into a kitchen sink or bathroom shower and you're good to go, whereas with a van unit you need to have sufficient length to get all throughout the property you're working on. The advantage to using a van mount is you supply your own water and power. **beware** portable carpet machines draw a lot of power, especially the heated extractors, and I got so tired of tripping circuit breakers in people's homes that I downgraded to a smaller machine for my detailing work at a loss in quality. Everyone uses different chemicals, and a lot of carpet guy's create their own proprietary "juice," so just experiment with different kinds and see how they do. FOLEX is a good stain remover.

You will find it doesn't take a lot to impress the customer. You will see a huge difference with most carpets, and impress the hell out of the customer. Just know, most people are very reluctant to have their carpets cleaned--you have to move furniture, it gets wet for a long time, sometimes it has a strong chemical odor...these are the things you should market to them as solutions. Work around the furniture, choose equipment with superb drying suction, make a second pass with just water to get out the soap, choose "green," "pet friendly," or "eco friendly" chemicals. Don't neglect the revenue you can generate through "dry cleaning" as well. You gotta know what kind of carpet you're dealing with, because some cannot be wet cleaned. Best of luck to ya, I always got great satisfaction with getting someone's carpet clean.

5. mike24601

mike24601 Bronze Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,914
    I just had an idea come to my head that might help you out. For most people, carpet cleaning only happens once every 5-10 years, so you want to incentivize them to come back yearly and remember your company. Have some nice looking refrigerator magnets made up which are worth a 10-15% discount. Include a blank white area somewhere that you can write on with marker a date 12-24 months from your cleaning visit, kind of like an oil change sticker. If they have a repeat service done in that time, they get the discount, and they will put the magnet on their fridge and think of you every time they walk by.

6. NeverTooLate

NeverTooLate Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $381
    Spicymemer45 likes this.
  7. Joe Cassandra

Joe Cassandra Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,689
    Read and listen to Joe Polish

Welcome To Your Best Source Of Free, Useful & Valueable Knowledge About Marketing

He started off as a broke carpet cleaner before discovering the power of marketing. Now, he's a multi-millionaire (think his carpet biz runs on auto) and runs a $25k/year mastermind and interviews the top people in the world.

Listen to the early episodes of I Love Marketing when just Dean and Joe discuss the basics of marketing. They will give you all you need to market a carpet business.

Their podcast,while sitting in my nasty gray cubicle in 2011 propelled me into what I do now many years later.

8. Spicymemer45

Rep Bank:
    $1,283

Goals:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Today's Execution:

Good morning Fastlaners, just a morning update, today I go to a few dealerships to inquire about some vans or trucks where I can put the power supply in and linkage for hot steam cleaning.

Also doing some landscaping sidework. Any suggestions on how to make going door to door more effective?

Cheers!​

G-Man likes this.
  9. Waspy

Waspy Float like a butterfly Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,202
    Find a street with a few houses that could do with a bit of TLC. Pick one and make the front garden look amazing (do it for free or crazy cheap). Go to the neighbors and point "look how amazing Bobs lawn looks"

They will hire you both because you did a good job, but also because they don't want their house to look like crap next to bobs

Spicymemer45 and Invictus like this.
  10. Spicymemer45

Rep Bank:
    $1,283
    Goals:

Today's Execution:

Still on the hunt for a truck, did some of the neighbors yards, and alas for purchasing the truck I need a decent credit score.

And fuck me sideways I have no credit card. So today will consist of Craigslist hunting or some other creative way to shift my way into a truck. Because God knows you can't fit a mower in a Cavalier

Cheers!​

The-J, G-Man and mike24601 like this.
  11. mike24601

Rep Bank:
    $1,914
    Don't give up! You can sometimes find an entire carpet cleaning setup complete with rig used for less than $10k. I started my mobile detailing business for about $750, including machine/chemicals/hose/tools. I fit the whole outfit in the trunk of a ford crown victoria, slapped some big magnet signs from vistaprint on the doors, got a square reader, and advertised exclusively on craigslist. Made enough money to live off all summer between college semesters

Jens Builaert, Argue and Spicymemer45 like this.
  12. OldFaithful

OldFaithful Silver Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,547
    You don't need a credit score or a loan to get a truck. Craigslist is the right way to go. Good decision. If you really want to save some $ get a small utility trailer for your cavalier and get busy!

By the way, you might be surprised by how much equipment you can get in the back of a van.

13. Spicymemer45

Rep Bank:
    $1,283
    Goals:

Today's Execution:

Good afternoon all! Today I handed in my week's notice at my Grocery Retailer job and will be working in a manufacturing position for triple the money on a night shift, this way I can keep a income to pay the bills for the time being. And in the day I'll be busy building this business.

The truck has been acquired from a very good family friend, tomorrow I set off to mow my first yard! The sun doth shine upon my back!

Cheers!​

14. Spicymemer45

Rep Bank:
    $1,283
    Goals:

Today's Execution:

Mowed the first yard and it went well, weeded, edged and cut. The customer was happy and was quite pleasant. Left them with a bag with their favorite candy bar and a business card. They said they'd want me back again.

Little bonus: After I got off work last night me and my girlfriend had it out and broke up, I was surely pissed but I sat down later that night and the emotions I knew had to felt and moved past and I thought about going after the things we want MOST in life.

Even if you fail, fuck it, you'll feel the pain but it'll be fine.

Cheers!

(Shoutout to the lads following this thread, always appreciated!)​

15. CareCPA

CareCPA Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,272
    While your yardwork venture may not currently be considered Fastlane, it's encouraging to see a progress thread that starts with action. I've seen a bunch recently that start out with "I'm going to build a website, and do research, and watch videos," and nothing seems to be happening.

I'm a firm believer that you will learn more by actually doing, than any research you perform.

Interested to see how this turns out for you - you seem like a person that will make things happen.

16. Spicymemer45

Rep Bank:
    $1,283
    What's this? A supporter? Why thank you Mr CareCPA I am off to work, enjoy your day and thank you for the upliftment.

Cheers!

RedKiteKid, G-Man, Scot and 1 other person like this.
  17. CareCPA

CareCPA Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,272
    Of course, given your name and avatar, things may take a turn rather quickly ;)
    Either way, along for the ride.

OldFaithful and Spicymemer45 like this.
  18. mike24601

Rep Bank:
    $1,914
    Proof that the best laid plans are always subject to detours and roadblocks. Kudos to you for tucking your head down and charging forward in spite of some shitty news.

I like the candy bar idea you've got going on. People make all kinds of subconscious associations with good tastes and smells. In practice, munching on a nice candy while reading your business card will create a positive association with you and your business.

RedKiteKid, Scot and Spicymemer45 like this.
  19. Waspy

Waspy Float like a butterfly Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,202
    I love threads like this man.

Just getting out and doing. No pondering, no delaying none of that. Just hustle.

Keep it up

20. Spicymemer45

Rep Bank:
    $1,283
    Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

Today's Execution:

Top of the morning lads and ladies! I've landed two more yards on a weekly recurrence (I live on the Eastern Seaboard, plenty of rain, sun and fun) and I'm outta food lion now and making a nice 20 an hour working a third shift in a manufacturing plant. I'm really embracing the chaos and this is without a doubt the most fun I've ever had and heart breaking and painful (worth it)

It's a fucking rush.

I'm watching the power of word of mouth and it's quite the thing, people have been relatively friendly so far.

Got a really hilarious story to post later tonight.

Have a lovely day Fastlaners.

Cheers!

(Shoutout to the lads following this thread, always appreciated!)​

21. ZCP

ZCP Platinum Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,726
    Keep chopping wood!

22. mike24601

Rep Bank:
    $1,914
    You've got the soul of Steve Buscemi, you know that? This guy..millionaire actor, ugly guy, k'now? Anyway, he was once a NYC fireman, and on 9/11 he quietly slipped down to Manhattan and rejoined his old company, doing whatever he could to help out. A real class act. Keep on keeping on, you've got this.

23. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Platinum Contributor Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $20,915
    It doesn't seem like it in the moment, but girls, like money, are abundant.

(Money doesn't seem abundant when you're broke, and girls don't seem abundant when you're lonely...)

But, always more girls on the girl tree...ya know?

Keep going!!!!

:smile:

24. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $19,422
    Damnit how did I miss this thread? I remember when you joined the forum and posted a bunch of cringeworthy memes. But you took the criticism of the forum and moved on.

You're now doing actual business which a good portion of this forum can't claim.

Good work! Keep pushing it.

AgainstAllOdds, jpanarra, Ika and 3 others like this.
  25. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read The Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $212,009
    Admin Post
    Ah yes, entrepreneurial heroine. And the feedback loop. Welcome to a great new world.