The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Spicymemer45's Adventures in Capitalism (For life)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Local Carpet Cleaning Services.
Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Today's Execution:

7,000 dollars feels real F*cking good, that is all for today. :D

Have a lovely day Fastlaners.

Cheers!

(Shoutout to the lads following this thread, always appreciated!)​

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's Execution:

Top of the morning lads and ladies! I've landed two more yards on a weekly recurrence (I live on the Eastern Seaboard, plenty of rain, sun and fun) and I'm outta food lion now and making a nice 20 an hour working a third shift in a manufacturing plant. I'm really embracing the chaos and this is without a doubt the most fun I've ever had and heart breaking and painful (worth it)

It's a F*cking rush.

I'm watching the power of word of mouth and it's quite the thing, people have been relatively friendly so far.

Got a really hilarious story to post later tonight.

Cheers!

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Your hustle is impeccable. Let's see that hustle grow.

A large part of what I do is help businesses like yours. (@Andy Black) I want to give you advice that most people have to pay me for.

For every client you service, you absolutely need to tell them + give them benefits for referring you to someone else. This has become my main source of new clients, and for businesses like yours it's the lifeblood of success. Not advertising, not cold calling, but good ol' word of mouth. Why?

Because it actually works for you. It's as Fastlane as marketing can get. Your service should speak for itself, but an extra word will give clients the push they need to say 'Hmm, my cousin out in Oxford has been needing to get this done but he's been putting it off forever, let me give you his number, I'll tell him you're the real deal'. If possible, get them to write a review for you.

In order to do that, you need to be getting more clients. With your hustle, this won't be a problem... however you're going to want to have a steady stream of clients that ring your phone. I'm sure you've looked into Adwords, but I think you should get into it ASAP. Jump in head first and get data.

How wide is your geographical range? How far are you willing to travel to clean carpets, mow lawns, or do some landscaping? This will determine how big your campaigns can get. If you get 5 clients a month from Adwords, that opens the door to 5, 10, 20 clients in the next 3 months from word of mouth alone.

Read Andy Black's Adwords posts and set the campaigns up yourself. Maybe buy his course.

In addition to this, you need to get out there and make yourself known in the community. Get out to your chamber of commerce and hit up those meetings. They've having a BBQ on the 20th (yea I Googled your town lol) and these people love it when young bloods come out.

---

More specific advice with the web stuff:

So, with web + advertising on the web, all you really need is a simple, clean-looking website that (1) shows off what you do, (2) gives them a way to contact you, and (3) tells them what to do when they do. It's also gotta convince people that spicymemer is the real deal, even if he and his company are young. Make it EASY for people to contact you: a big fat phone number + a big fat easy quote form that will give you their email and phone number for you to contact them.

It needs to load FAST. I'm talking less than a second on both desktop and mobile. Use small, low-res images + a link to a higher res image on the low res one.

They need to see what you can do + how they can get you to do it. They need to know if you can solve their problem, whether it's a tree that needs to be removed or some shrubs that need trimming. Show past clients + testimonials.

That's all your website is. You can build it yourself, or you can hire it out.

With Adwords, it'll be easy to find you. Set up your Google business pages + put images of your work there.

Other routes of advertising include the free stuff (Craigslist/Kijiji), directories (Yellow Pages, BBB; mainly use these so people know you're legit), and Facebook. Facebook is an interesting beast and for you, should be one of the last things you look into. But man can it grow a business.

---

I'm excited to see where this goes. Rep+++

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today's Execution:

Good afternoon all! Today I handed in my week's notice at my Grocery Retailer job and will be working in a manufacturing position for triple the money on a night shift, this way I can keep a income to pay the bills for the time being. And in the day I'll be busy building this business.

The truck has been acquired from a very good family friend, tomorrow I set off to mow my first yard! The sun doth shine upon my back!

Cheers!​

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
Today's Execution:

Top of the morning lads and ladies, doing some mulching today around the neighborhood (and might I just tell you one thing about mulching it STAINS every damn thing if it gets in your clothes lol)

I'm so hyped I shed real tears, another truck has been acquired (A nice 2006 F-150) and it was for free! The details are rather boring but it's alot to take in. Really not much more to say yet but I thank you all for your support and feedback!

Cheers!

(Shoutout to the lads following this thread, always appreciated!)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
I just had an idea come to my head that might help you out. For most people, carpet cleaning only happens once every 5-10 years, so you want to incentivize them to come back yearly and remember your company. Have some nice looking refrigerator magnets made up which are worth a 10-15% discount. Include a blank white area somewhere that you can write on with marker a date 12-24 months from your cleaning visit, kind of like an oil change sticker. If they have a repeat service done in that time, they get the discount, and they will put the magnet on their fridge and think of you every time they walk by.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
While your yardwork venture may not currently be considered Fastlane, it's encouraging to see a progress thread that starts with action. I've seen a bunch recently that start out with "I'm going to build a website, and do research, and watch videos," and nothing seems to be happening.

I'm a firm believer that you will learn more by actually doing, than any research you perform.

Interested to see how this turns out for you - you seem like a person that will make things happen.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Little bonus: After I got off work last night me and my girlfriend had it out and broke up, I was surely pissed but I sat down later that night and the emotions I knew had to felt and moved past and I thought about going after the things we want MOST in life.​

It doesn't seem like it in the moment, but girls, like money, are abundant.

(Money doesn't seem abundant when you're broke, and girls don't seem abundant when you're lonely...)

But, always more girls on the girl tree...ya know?

Keep going!!!!

:smile:

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

Today's Execution:

Last night's shift wiped my a$$ out, went out and did some yards before the rains hit (And it hit hard)
So the highschool lads I take out to jobs wanted to earn some more money. I decided to give a bonus of 20 Dollars for every new yard they acquire for the company on a recurring basis. Getting the website going right after I finish this post.

By the way, I've never hydroplaned before until today, I was driving with a female "friend" ;)
the front wheels spun and when we got the grip back and she thanked me for not letting her die.
(Shoutout to @MidwestLandlord , indeed the women are abundant)

Cheers!

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Today's Execution:

Mowed the first yard and it went well, weeded, edged and cut. The customer was happy and was quite pleasant. Left them with a bag with their favorite candy bar and a business card. They said they'd want me back again.

Little bonus: After I got off work last night me and my girlfriend had it out and broke up, I was surely pissed but I sat down later that night and the emotions I knew had to felt and moved past and I thought about going after the things we want MOST in life.

Even if you fail, F*ck it, you'll feel the pain but it'll be fine.

Cheers!

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

Today's Execution:

Quit my job today. There's other ways to make money that don't require me to dedicate so much energy. It's sink or swim now, @jpanarra is assisting me in getting a website up. Mindset has shifted so much, F*ck all this sitting around. I'm getting a direct mail ad going.

Business is good, need more. I'm learning some carpentry skills from a family friend. I sound like I'm becoming a contractor lol.

But let's keep the course.

CURRENT REVENUE
  • Yards: 300$ Weekly​
  • Mulching 450$ (Varies)​
  • Misc: 100$ (Varies)​
  • Employees: 1​
Have a lovely day Fastlaners.​

Cheers!

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXgGScTttbU&feature=youtu.be

Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

Today's Execution:

Good evening you entrepreneurial night owls, today it rained hard as shit and I got the mulching done and a few yards, "hired" on a high school kid to cut for 8.50 an hour. He does good work and he's excited as shit and today was as smooth as could be. Rest of the info is on the blog!

Cheers!

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

Today's Execution:

Sorry about the delay in posting for the past few days, the death of a good family friend who got me through some tough years when I started highschool has been impacting me for the last few days, alongside traveling to see family members.

But, I'm here, I'm ready to get back in it. Let's F*cking go!

Cheers!

P.S: A special thank you to the users that have monitored my journey since the beginning of my Fastlane experience. @MidwestLandlord @SinisterLex @ZF Lee @Walter Hay @AgainstAllOdds

I hope one day to meet you all.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
ACCOUNTABILITY

The thing my mother desired for me to have when I first discovered the glory that is the female species...

Anyway!

This will be my progress thread that I will update daily with current objectives. And I will frequently ask for feedback, comments are welcome.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goals:

Today's Execution:

Today I carpet cleaned my own home and watched videos to further the quality of cleaning for future cleanings. Created multiple postings on job boards that are local, By the way if someone wants to let me know the success they've had with Direct Mail advertising, let me know.

Did the pricing for my services, decided to use commercial model heat steamers that are similar to the ones used by the best companies who have gone before myself. Looked into chemicals that are the most effective.

As for the rest of today. Before I start going door to door. What's some good advice to really let the customers know I care and how can I benefit them?

I was thinking of a free room cleaning, maybe with like a bag of candy. Name the business Candy Carpet Cleaning. Lol

Cheers!

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
You've got the soul of Steve Buscemi, you know that? This guy..millionaire actor, ugly guy, k'now? Anyway, he was once a NYC fireman, and on 9/11 he quietly slipped down to Manhattan and rejoined his old company, doing whatever he could to help out. A real class act. Keep on keeping on, you've got this.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Damnit how did I miss this thread? I remember when you joined the forum and posted a bunch of cringeworthy memes. But you took the criticism of the forum and moved on.

You're now doing actual business which a good portion of this forum can't claim.

Good work! Keep pushing it.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

Today's Execution:

Quit my job today. There's other ways to make money that don't require me to dedicate so much energy. It's sink or swim now, @jpanarra is assisting me in getting a website up. Mindset has shifted so much, F*ck all this sitting around. I'm getting a direct mail ad going.

Business is good, need more. I'm learning some carpentry skills from a family friend. I sound like I'm becoming a contractor lol.

But let's keep the course.

CURRENT REVENUE
  • Yards: 300$ Weekly​
  • Mulching 450$ (Varies)​
  • Misc: 100$ (Varies)​
  • Employees: 1​

Cheers!

I've only caught about half of this thread, so this might have already been mentioned, but have you thought about doing this as a pseudo franchise operation? Here's what I'm thinking if I can articulate:
  • There will always be grass to be mowed
  • There will always be a fresh crop of 19 yr olds that need extra money
  • You don't want to be mowing grass every summer from here to eternity.
Therefore:

Create site and brand built on the good reputation you clearly have with your customers. Focus on customer acquisition, later add scheduling tool to website. Find and train young guys to mow as subcontractors and pay them by the lawn.

Other ways to monetize in the future will be renting & storing equipment for your subs.

EDIT: As always, good to see the incredible hustle.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Fastlane Brothers!

Your support honest to God means more to me than anything.

I've got 11 weekly cuts that crank out 400 a week in profits, I am also attending a community college for a associates in Business Admin and Computer Science.

The mindset switch I've had over the past year is just outlandish and beautiful.

Always moving ahead and I thank you all.

More to come.

Cheers- G​

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Amazing thread so far.

Check out Website Templates & Themes from ThemeForest for templates you can use to build your site.

Keep hustling. You're on the right path.

Also, as far as direct mail goes: You can probably pay your high school employee a little bonus and have him go door to door delivering advertising material. That will let you reach a lot of houses at a tiny cost.

Here's a direct mail copywriting article that's in a similar niche to what you're doing: https://kopywritingkourse.com/powerwashing-flyers-copywriting-case-study/. Worth the read and potentially a good starting point.

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
F*ck SEO

After focusing for too long on building social media bullshit for my business

I watered my bloodshot eyes and behold a heavenly angel came down in the name of PPC

Within two days I gained 3 more customers

For anyone that reads this that needs a little bootstrap startup.

Fall approaches, a lot of old people need their gutters cleaned.

Hell everyone needs them cleaned!

I'm averaging a couple hundred a day, I won't slow it down though

Too much fun!

Cheers- G

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Google Rohan Gilkes. His claim to fame was building a maid service biz and documenting it on Reddit. He also got into yard work and carpet cleaning (if I recall correctly). You should be able to find good info to start you off by looking up his stuff.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
While your yardwork venture may not currently be considered Fastlane, it's encouraging to see a progress thread that starts with action. I've seen a bunch recently that start out with "I'm going to build a website, and do research, and watch videos," and nothing seems to be happening.

I'm a firm believer that you will learn more by actually doing, than any research you perform.

Interested to see how this turns out for you - you seem like a person that will make things happen.

What's this? A supporter? Why thank you Mr CareCPA I am off to work, enjoy your day and thank you for the upliftment.

Cheers!

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Goals:

Landscaping (Maybe Temp)

Today's Execution:

3,000 Dollar Job completed today. Built a screened in porch.

Cheers!

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
How are things, now?!

Moved out of my house, tried college for a semester, not doing it again.

Have a well paying full-time job with perfect hours for working on my Fastlane, winter is here so I'm re-orienting my business for services that will blend with the weather.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Been reading your thread since you started. Glad to see your execution is working out. Good news on the trucks..
Anyway, about the website you mentioned. When you create it and/or social media, you could create time lapse videos of the work you do and post those to give potential clients an idea of your skills and abilities. Just a thought. Kudos to you so far kid

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.