The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Son How Do You GET THINGS DONE??

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
Hello all, should post here more often, but today I wanted to share something you all can use to enhance your productivity and better organize some of those projects you are working. I'll be talking about the Getting Things Done task management methodology and how I use it for my own business. I’ve found the concepts of capturing, clarifying, and sorting by actionable items vs. reference material the most useful aspects.
3WqZwno.png

Capture

The first step consists of capturing all those tasks, or to do items you might have floating around in your head, but haven't addressed yet- consider it a giant brain dump, they don’t have to be work-related. Capture anything and everything, any reference material you have come across, to do items, grocery lists, notes, competitive research, projects items, meetings, goals, errands etc.

Clarify

The next step is to determine which items are actionable or not. If they are not actionable, decide whether you want to defer them to someday in the future, reference them in the future, or delete them. If they are actionable, determine the time frame in which they must be done. You can sort these items by having sections or groups in your software with the following categories.

Sort

2 minutes or less - If they are simple task items that can be done in 2 minutes or less, do them immediately, don’t sort these. Procrastinating on small tasks wastes mental energy; just get them out of the way.

Next actions (2 days or less) – These are the types of tasks that must be done either tomorrow or very soon.

Scheduled (Set date in future) - The project type tasks that need to be completed by a certain date are then either delegated, or scheduled. These have a clear expiry date on them. I put bigger items here that take more than a day for me to complete.

Someday items (Arbitrary dates, weeks or months) - The someday items are things that you don’t have a clear date for in mind, but want to accomplish eventually. This is good to use for long-term goals or maybe for habits that you are trying to change.

Reference (Notes, not actionable items) - The research that you are doing currently can be put under the reference material, which can then be categorized further to your liking. I use this section a lot, it’s mainly for my competitive research notes, or some tidbits of code I need to remember in the future. I also have a section for hobbies, just stuff I want to be able to look at again in the future.

Tagging

Tagging is a useful because it makes it easy to search for the relevant items you are looking for. You can use tags for things like putting priority levels on your projects, marking subtasks of bigger projects, or contexts. Having a good tagging system in place makes it easy to pull up the relevant information by running a quick search or sorting items by tags.

Context-
Where the task items are supposed to be done. This would mean if you have “get tomatoes” on your list the context would be Safeway or Grocery Stores, “website edits” would be office or computer.

Priority (high,med,low)-
The projects that require the most energy or time can then be sorted by priority levels.​

Reviews of system

Reviews can be done weekly or monthly to audit the system and see if it’s working for you. I usually clear unneeded items, move stuff to the closed projects section, or reorganize things and move them to reference section. I also take the time to evaluate my goals or daily habits and see if I have made any progress on those.

My setup

I solely use Onenote for everything to make things simple; I have it on my phone and pc. This is because you want to primarily use a single system to funnel all your information into. I have a “capture” section, a “tomorrow” section, a “this week” section and a “scheduled” section for my projects. I have a different section group for “reference material”. I then have pages and subpages for my hobbies and for work. I sync outlook and onenote with each other so it makes it simpler to manage emails. On my outlook I have a similar format with different folders.

Your System

There are many software packages free and paid you can use to implement this system. It can even be done with a traditional pen and paper approach (you can use binders with papers and just sort the papers to the appropriate binders). I even use my whiteboard as a capture system and just draw lines to “tomorrow” “scheduled” “deferred” “reference” bubbles. The important thing to keep in mind is that the system is not inflexible and you can adapt it however you want. If you find on your weekly reviews the system is lacking in some way, add new sections or tags etc. Use this as a base and build something that works for you on top of it.

Software

There is lots of software out there that can be used to implement this type of system, the most prominent ones being Onenote, and Evernote. I personally use Onenote since I find it more flexible. Don't get caught up in deciding which software to use and waste time (don’t overcomplicate things), the important thing is whatever software you use is:
  • Available on a cloud, or capable of syncing across all your devices, or has export features
  • Is flexible enough to allow the creation of different categories
  • Can store any relevant information, like images, links, etc.
  • Has some sort of search feature or function so you can find stuff easily.
Ideally you want the data to somehow be accessible in the main system you use to funnel everything into. This is why syncing and export features are crucial. Here are some links to some software that you can have a look at:

Trello
Asana
Xmind
Onenote
Evernote
Todo 7
Toodledo

Here are two videos showing how you can use this system for Evernote and Onenote (I modeled my own system after the Onenote one):
Evernote:
Onenote:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

_Will_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 30, 2015
Trello is amazing! That's the only tool I use along with Google Docs.

sparklyshadows

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 25, 2014
California
What an amazingly useful post! It's so important to maximize your time. So many people complain about not getting enough work done and usually it's due to not having a proper system in place to make the most of the time you have.

Toushi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Aug 3, 2013
Trello is amazing! That's the only tool I use along with Google Docs.
Yes, Trello is good software. It was based on Kanban technology where manufacturers use cards to signal which inventory is a work in process. You can use it personally to the same effect. For example you could create a "doing," a "backlog," a "done," and a "in progress" card for your tasks. That way you have a good visibility on your tasks.

sparklyshadows

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 25, 2014
California
I just checked out Xmind and I absolutely love this software! Once you start brainstorming and "mind mapping" on Xmind, it's crazy to see the amount of stuff you come up with. Just wanted to drop in to thank you for referring such an awesome software :)

Wassim

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Feb 8, 2016
Yes. An amazing system.

I started using GTD the traditional way (paper and pencil). Wrote down everything that was going in my mind: thoughts, plans, dreams, goals, and feelings….etc.

And then……………..

WOW!

A feel of peace and quiet. My mind is not racing anymore and free to enjoy many moments.

I am slowly shifting to online tools now, but what I noticed is that I accomplish more when I write things down (on a piece of paper) than using the new Tech. (just my personal experience).

Attached is an image that I prepared in order to perfect my system.

Happy achievements everyone.

Attachments

• gtd_chart.png
    gtd_chart.png
    118 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

JacobBW

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
Love it!
I've used a daily to do list recommended by Brendon Burchard on and off while I was running a chiro clinic that I found really helpful. It was something like this:
  1. Top 3 projects to work on - top 5 tasks for each of them
  2. People that I need to call
  3. People that I'm waiting on (responses etc.)
  4. Top 1-3 priorities to get done today no matter what
I'll be giving the GTD system a go though - Thanks @Toushi

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.