The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So who met RK?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I understand that there was a meeting out here in Phx recently and some of you met RK.

How'd that meeting go? What were your impressions of the man?

Im surprised I haven't run into him ... I frequent the snooty restaurants in his neighborhood.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
From what I know, I don't like him but I do like his thinking. Not impressed with him as a person though.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I have met him a few times. This guy is on the fast track wihen it comes to insulting people. :nono: I do not have thick skin and have been insulted by some of his statements. But, he is who he is and I can accept that. He has had great vision when it comes to the idea of financial freedom. I have enjoyed his books and games. My children have been encouraged to read his books and grasp his philosophies.

It seems pretty clear that he does not value my style of investment. But who cares as long as it is working for me.

He did let us use his office building for 2 years and threw a couple of small parties for us.

Last edited:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
c'mon y'all. Half the people on this forum have met him (obviously the bashful half).

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Only wish I had so I could smile and say "Money doesn't buy you integrity or tact, eh?" :moon3:

He probably has 1,000 times my net worth, but I think there are more important things......don't take my word for it though ;)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Tact is probably the better description. I wouldn't accuse him of lacking integrity.

Kiyosaki has done a lot for people. He forces his employees to become financially literate and expects his friends to do the same.

Some of his less than tactful ways are probably a direct result of many people that challenge him.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
"stop jerk**g off on the internet"

It was a nice gesture to let us use his office and to have a small reception for us the first night, but man was he rude the day after!!!

I still remember when he mentioned we were all wasting our times on the internet.... and that it was time to stop jerk**g around in the website and get a real life.. or something like that. Even better, when he took it on one of the members to accuse him of many many things without even know him... or when he mentioned that those that try to make it by using appreciation and not cashflow as strategy were something (I don't even remember the word he used for them)

I was more impressed with the nice personality his wife has. He wasn't a nice guy that day, but I admire the book and ideas that changed my mindset.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I totally agree, andviv. His book opened the minds of many people as to how life could be. He has done a great thing for everyone who has read RDPD, and it in turn made him lots of money.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I was a big fan of RK which originally brought me to his website years ago. His first two books are great; fastlane material.

However what ultimately turned me off to RK (and his personality without actually meeting him) was an article in Forbes Small Business during the housing boom when they interviewed him. In the article, RK said he "prayed" everyday that the housing boom would bust so he can start making money again in Real Estate. He alluded that with all the ameteurs in the game, he is out ... and prays for a housing bust. I wish I could find that article.

It put me off for 2 reasons ...

1) RK prays for a real estate bust so he can make money? How about praying for our soldiers in Iraq, or for world peace, or for the homeless -- instead, he prays for a housing bust which will hurt most Americans.

IMHO, praying for other's people's pain so you can profit is sacrileges and borders on evil.

2) His books say real estate, real estate, real estate. He tells his book readers to invest in real estate, yet in the article he confesses "he's out" of the market. So his books got all the amateurs in the game, which forced him out. Sounds hypocritical to me.

After this article, I immediately lost respect for the man as a man, not that man as an author. I seemed that RK's number #1 god was money.

We're all here to make a little more money but if your world is ruled by it and your integrity and empathy for your fellow man is forsaken, you've lost regardless how much $$ you make.

Again, above is an opinion on what RK has said and quoted in interviews. A judgment. Those who know him personally might just say its all an act, and the guy is a saint.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I am one of those that believes that money does not change you that much... it just augments who you really are. If you are an a$$ without money, you will be a bigger a$$hole with it. People that like helping others will likely donate more money when they have it.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've met him and the last impression I had of him was not very good. I do thank him for his books and the path they have made me take. They have helped me alot financially.

However, I'm of the school that it doesn't matter who are or how much money you have, you still have to respect other people. It's ironic that the meeting of all his loyal RD forum members is probably what's gonna kill his forum. From my perspective, if you have people travel across the country to meet you, you don't go insulting them and calling them losers. I don't know if that was ignorance or arrogance.

It's like that mean boss you have at work yelling at everyone because he can. He doesn't realize that if he runs into an ex-employee outside of work that he's just another guy on the street that can get his a$$ kicked. Having power doesn't mean you get to be a dick.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I have not met RK, so my opinion is based only on what I have seen of him in articles and on RDTV.

While I admire his philosophy and credit is work for my "start" I have no admiration for him as a man. 2 reasons:

1) He insults people right and left. What is the point? He is very bitter or maybe angry (?) and as a result alienates his customers or potential customers.

2) I remember on one of his RDTV segments, someone was talking about the steps of success - or something similar. His highest step or level was essentially giving back to the world/humanity. He was stating that great personal satisfaction can come from giving back.

This step went right over RK's head. He did not seem to grasp the idea and made a comment that was not related to the point at all. His comment had to do with getting satisfaction from making money - not from giving back or understanding a higher purpose.

It has been a long time since I watched it, and I don't remember specifics, but I do remember that I was left with the impression that without money, RK's life is empty. All he seems to understand or care about is $$$$. That is sad to me, and I hope that he can eventually experience enough growth to understand that $ is not all there is.

kimberland

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jul 25, 2007
Never met the guy.
Couldn't make it to the last RD meeting (schedule conflicts)
and the time before, missed the meet and greet.

He knows next to nothing about paper investing
and what he does really know,
business building,
he doesn't talk about much.
That disappoints me.

I have a rhino skin
(have to be when you're a female in corporate).
My policy is that if you've got something to teach me
to help me get where I want to go,
I can put up with verbal abuse
(though you might get emails from mystery addies about anger mgmt courses).

: )

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
It's hard to find people who are on top of the world financially that can still find it in their hearts to have respect for the common people. It's not uncommon, but it pisses me off when people treat others like crap. I guess that's just the way it is, but I'm sure people like that will get what's coming to them.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Groupie Syndrome

A few months ago there was a national conference for a group of professionals. I have been a member of this group for about a year. In this organization, there is a very knowledgeable woman.

In her own state, she has a business in which she trains others with her methods. In the national group, she has been instrumental in education of members and the growth of the organization.

She knows NOTHING about me, my values or my life.

She "attacked" me verbally at this last meeting. It was interesting to hear the assumptions she made about my life. She was completely inaccurate in her assumptions.

When I was speaking to my husband about this later, we both agreed that she has basically created her own little universe in which she is QUEEN and surrounded by her worshiping groupies. After years of this existance, I can see where one would forget the world and people that exist outside of this universe.... and make incorrect assumptions about people.

Perhaps this is similar to RK.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Kinda sad to hear all the commentary about RD ... especially when it comes to the internet.

I'd bet if I approached RD Corp. and offered to buy their forum, they'd jump at it especially since its been neglected for all these years.

bflbob

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 25, 2007
Endicott, New York, United States
I've met him a couple of times

I've had the opportunity to meet RK at both the 2006 and the 2007 meet-ups in Phoenix. I was hoping you'd be there MJ, but you quit posting here right around the 2006 gathering. (I wanted a ride in that Lambo, damn it!)
:notworthy:

My gut feeling of RK is that he still thinks he's in the Marines. He likes to cuss and holler and be respected. He was friendly, but in a stand-offish sort of way. I definately didn't get a warm and fuzzy feeling from him.

I used to work for a guy like him. He would be screaming at his managers on the phone and smiling at me at the same time. I think RK's actions are planned. He likes to shock his audience into listening to him.

That said, he did basically give us the run of his place two years ago. Sort of said, "Here are the keys. Lock it up when you're done." And he invited us back whenever we want to come (Erin???).

Overall, in 2005 I would have rated him a "10". After the 2006 meeting, an "8". And after the 2007 meeting, a "6". He lost a lot of respect this past March.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Money doesn't buy class. The Russ Whitney relationship sums up where his head is.

emorgan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Wow.

I wasn't going to say anything about this because I thought this forum was going to be about positive energy and learning and growing, not turn into the "used to be fans of RK" board.

I have gotten to know Robert and Kim over the last year, and I have a completely different view of them then most of you. I have absolute respect for both of them. I have been able to watch them in their businesses, dealing with employees, partners, investors, struggles, and been allowed into their personal lives as well.

They are two of the most warm and loving people I have met.

Who are any of you to accuse RK of "having no tact" when you know that when you get frustrated with things or people on the boards and in life, you react the same way- and I have seen it from some of you. Imagine if you had that happening every day, and imagine how you would react after a while.

I am not sure I want to be apart of these boards, and there's no way in hell I'm organizing another get together, after seeing so much disrespect for the man who showed most of us how to get onto the fast track.

Who needs more negativity? Not me.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wasn't going to say anything about this because I thought this forum was going to be about positive energy and learning and growing, not turn into the "used to be fans of RK" board.

Thats why its off-topic and in the appropriate place. As I wrote prior, I've never met the man so my judgment is suspect vis-a-vie someone who met him like yourself.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Obviously, I am one of the people that accused him of having no tact. I also said that it was probably a result of many people challenging him. My opinion on what he teaches and how I use it in my, and my childrens lives has not changed.

It was clear on what was said at the last meeting though. Robert had no problems stating how many people were losers. He clearly stated that those that buy for anything other than cashflow are losers. There was no ambiguity in his statement. He slammed Russ when he asked a question without even giving him any sort of benefit of doubt. That is a perception that Robert put in our heads.

You know RK better than any of us and your opinion matters.

I am not down on RK. There was some enjoyment that I had over the events at the meeting (including the controversy). I have stated and will say again that I appreciated them opening up the office for our use and spending time with us.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Who are any of you to accuse RK of "having no tact" when you know that when you get frustrated with things or people on the boards and in life, you react the same way- and I have seen it from some of you. Imagine if you had that happening every day, and imagine how you would react after a while.

Agreed. I said something to this effect as well.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Erin,

I understand that you have a very special relationship w/Robert and Kim.

I think that's great.

We're the same people you knew and loved before the event.

And we would never want to put you in the middle, having to choose between any of us and RK.

-Russ H.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
They are two of the most warm and loving people I have met.

I half-agree with you. I also think Kim is lovable. Like I mentioned in some other posts, I really appreciated the fact that she took the time to sign her book for my wife, which started her in her path for riches. And in general Kim was great that couple of days with us.

Given that you know the "real" RK, do you have any idea why he reacted (or acted) that way with us?

And, once again, I do thank RK for the book that changed my perspective, I just don't think we deserved that treatment. Oh, and by the way I also thank you for putting the last meeting together ( I still owe you some Starbucks' products :))

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007

I have no tact either - just ask my hubby! No one is perfect.

After reading your post, I realized a few things:

It is not appropriate for me to voice an opinion on a man that I have never met. However, I also know that had I been at the last gathering, I would have been treated in the same way. I have no doubt that it occured.

I also realized that in my post, I was critical and only critical of him. As is often the case with me, I voice an opinion before I have a chance to let it sink in - and after it does, I realize that I actually feel differently then I first thought. (It's part of that lack of tact thing...)

How I really feel about RK...

Sad. I feel very sad about the way he appears to treat the public and his fans. I'm also confused. For a company that is an education company, I can't understand how they think it could be effective to verbally assault the students... What if I did that to my children as I taught them? This last gathering is not the only account I've heard about this... there have been accounts of similar things occuring at workshops. heck - I've seen it on RDTV.

I am a tough love person. I also think there is a very big difference between tough love and verbal assault. You can still give tough love and show respect to the person at the same time.

If I ever have the occasion to meet RK, I will treat him with respect and thank him for all he has done for me. I will also demand respect from him. I believe in win-win relationships whether they are 5 minute or 50 year relationships. My hope is that RK would treat me with respect and we could have a win-win encounter.

I have to say that I feel the probability is low that we would be able to accomplish that win-win situation. Should we be able to have a respectful encounter, I am sure I would be exposed to the positive qualities RK has - as you have been.

I am not sure I want to be apart of these boards, and there's no way in hell I'm organizing another get together, after seeing so much disrespect for the man who showed most of us how to get onto the fast track.

Who needs more negativity? Not me.

While I understand that it appears as if I did show RK disrespect - I hope that it is clear now that what I meant to show was sadness.

I also want to point out that it is RK WHO SHOWED DISRESPECT to people at the gathering. Most people here are - naturally - going to have a reaction to that.

I agree about negativity. No one benefits from negative energy. I also know after my run-in with a similar situation (different person) I felt the need to talk through it and vent a little in a safe place. It is disheartening to have something like this happen - and it is nice to talk through it and come to some sort of understanding. I don't feel that the purpose of these boards is to bash RK. I do, overall feel that they have a positive energy.

While I am grateful to you for organizing the gatherings, I can understand how you feel. I just hope that the difference in opinion on one issue will not effect your entire relationship with some of the people on these boards. After all - I have zilch interest in fast cars (shhh) but I trust that will not stand in my way of developing a relationship with some of the people here.

WheelsRCool

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Aug 12, 2007
WHOA!!! He actually swears at people!? For real!? I'd've told him off.

The thing that makes me curious about the guy is that from what I have read, he is a liar in certain ways. For example, how he says in RDPD that he's a "major shareholder" in oil and mining companies. From my understanding, such shareholders have to have their name listed to the public, which Kiyosaki doesn't (which means either he's been breaking the law all this time or he lied). He also says about the power of corporations as a tax shelter. This I wonder about because corporations are taxed highly, they have almost a triple tax from my understanding.

The corporation's income itself is taxed, then the income from stocks the corporation has are taxed, and then, after all that, the stockholders of the corporation have their stocks taxed! In addition to that, America has the world's second-largest corporate tax rate (Japan's I believe is the highest). So I mean I dont' really see how corporations are tax shelters.

he also says about how with corporations you can make so many things a "company expense" and do them tax-free. But from my understanding, the IRS scrutinizes all that stuff very carefully. The old "take a 'business trip' to Hawaii" which is really a relaxing vacation and not pay the tax or have the company pay it off (however that works), the IRS scrutinizes that stuff to make sure you pay their taxes.

I also agree that Kiyosaki seems to knock on people with traditional educations too much. He seems to forget that without doctors, lawyers, accountants, financial professionals, engineers, scientists, etc...all things requiring a traditional college education, that society would cease to function. He also seems to forget that not EVERYONE out there actually cares to become very wealthy. They just want ot make a good living doing something they like, and he seems to knock on this.

I have a great deal of respect for the person who say truly loves computers and makes, say, $80K a year working as a computer engineer, and even refuses to move into upper management in the company and instead stay an engineer (and thus not be paid as much), simply because htye love their job, then the person who just pursues a particular profession strictly "for the money." Or the person who loves law and becomes a very successful lawyer because they love the law. Or the successful doctors, etc...traditional education is fine for people who want to pursue it.

But to Kiyosaki, anyone who pursues such traditional education to him is a loser it seems.

I also don't like his treatment (according to his books) of his biological father. I agree with John T. Reed about how he would have appreciated the type of father he had, who only wanted what to him was the best for his son and apparently cared about him a lot. Kiyosaki never seems to appreciate his father for at least caring. I read in his one book how his father supposedly lost all his money after he invested all his money into a franchise which then failed. He said his father spent the rest of his life flat-broke and miserable.

Well I don't know about Kiyosaki, but if that was my father, I would have helped him as best I could financially.

I agree with Kiyosaki's overall view of seeking financial freedom, but he just sounds way too full of himself from what I've been reading and I also think he either lies about certain things or doesn't know what he's talking about regarding certain things.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
(WheelsRCool)
I don't really see how corporations are tax shelters.
C Corps are a great way to pay LESS taxes (if you know how) and handle expenses *pre* tax, not after tax.

In my opinion the comments you make about RK are WAY off. I'd suggest you do a bit more research:

1. RK advocates traditional education, and repeatedly says he *loves* all of the "S" people (like lawyers and accts) in his life. He says "I never was a smart guy. I hire these smart people to work for me."

2. You have no idea or personal knowledge of how RK treated his biological father financially, right? So why comment on this as if you do know?

3. Your criticisms of corporate advantages are spoken from the eyes of someone who has never used corporate structure. So why comment on something you know nothing about?

I debated a good deal in the forums on such topics, but I always did it respectfully (no name-calling or insults, etc...) which actually can have cool results, people who disagree with you will still respect you for being polite.

Given your comments on another thread (see quote above), I find your calling RK a liar surprising.

Sorry to be so blunt. But I have a very low tolerance for misinformed criticism and contradictory spew.:puke:

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yes Wheels, lets not turn this thread into a "RK is a liar, Rich Dad didn't exist" debate!!! :smxE:

We've done that gazillion times over on the other board and I really don't want to do it here

The John T Reed vs Kiyosaki thing is .... well ... its

:beatdeadhorse5: and most of us hate the topic.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.