The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So Simple... It's Beautiful

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm officially lost.

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Hi,

I am very wealthy investor and I like your idea. I'm willing to invest at least umteen million dollars on this idea and the idea ONLY. Where do I send my check to? Hell, where do I send my bags full of cash? We can start a business together even though I hardly know you. You bring in the ideas, I bring in the capital, connections and champagne... for when we celebrate our fityleven billion million dollar IPO.

And remember! If you can dream it you shall achieve it!

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Turbo

Google/PPC Pro- making my clients $7 figures/mo
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
May 31, 2014
Dallas TX
If you pass an electrical current through the paper clips, they will surely heat up to desired temp. This would require a variable power supply and some trial and error. No need to heat through convection like a standard oven, so this should eliminate the issues that a flame presents.

Berters

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Dec 20, 2013
UK
Some really wide hair straighteners? o_O

NBPnfwi.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
All I'm saying is that everything works in theory until you build one and test it. I would not be comfortable going into a prototype without ever proving your design or concept. This is a simple mock up, so I personally would build one. You can make things easier or harder for yourself later.

How do you know what the specs of your heating element are? How fast will this particular element heat the clips? What size is it? What is readily available? Without even knowing this, how can you spec out the exterior case? Do the clips sit right on the element? Or is the element attached to a tray/plate. Or do you expect the inside of the entire box to reach 375? What kind of thermocouple? What's its size.

In your mind, you have everything laid out. But when it comes time to find the parts, you probably want standard sizes and what's readily available (being used in other products) so you can get them cheap. But you have no idea even what these are.

Sure you can hire someone to design the whole thing, but it will cost you. Just an example off the top of my head.

You tell your designer it needs to heat 20 clips in 5 minutes. So your designer may spec a heating element of 12" based on your design requirements, but maybe every single curling iron in the world uses a 11" heating element. So the 11" one costs $.50, but a 12" one is custom and costs $2.50 if you buy 1000 of them.

Problem is the 11" element would heat the clips up in 7 minutes instead of 5. Is it ok? He doesn't know, he's just designing based on your specs. But you don't know this so your finished product now costs $10 when it could have cost $5.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Make a small toaster oven. Find a small cheap one and take it apart.

Or get a curling iron, take it apart and install a box around it.

Or use a soldering iron in a skinny box, attach a timer to it.

Or get a heating wand and just put in on a heating pad and lay the clips on top of it.

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
Ahhh, I get it now. I remember in college, we'd heat a penny on top of a light bulb, and then throw it to somebody. Their natural instinct was to catch it, and hilarity would ensue.

This is the executive toy version of that, right???

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
How does this get me any further along in the process? Yes - I get that it proves this can be done but we already know products can be heated to 375. The next step would be to improve upon it - correct? But again, I go back to I am not a product engineer or developer.

Bio - I am listening just not fully understanding. Appreciate your patience.

You keep assuming that you can heat a clip up to 375 in a small vessel. You assume that it is easy. This is the part where you may be wrong. You assume that you can take things and build a prototype that will work. You do not know that you can heat a clip to 375 without an oven. This is my point. You just think that it can be done.

You are not even willing to think that your idea may not be realistic and that what you want may be impossible to build. This is where your downfall may be. I keep asking you, how do you know that your product will work. All you say is that products can be heated to 375. If this is going to be your answer, then why not buy a toaster oven?

You can buy a curling iron, dimmer and heat blanket and totally fail at your prototype. By failing you will have learned so much more about your product.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Damn - I've got a very thick skull! Re-read a lot of the advice / feedback and - duh - YES, I need to create a proto. I don't know why it took soooo long to sink in. The advice I received was from some very heavy hitters (and others as well) and I was too busy trying to prove my point of view vs. listening. Sometimes, I just need to STFU and listen and do!

I've got 2 different prototypes I need to develop. 1st is the heat resistant coating on the clips.There is a product I can buy cheaply at Walmart that should perform the intended heating of the clips. I will purchase it this weekend. As I try different materials on the end of the clips to verify adhesion, heat resistance, etc.., I will start the work on the heat box proto.

Thanks EVERYONE - I got a lot out of this thread.

Marc B.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Sep 23, 2012
Oklahoma
I hate to keep answering your question with more questions, but I think a few things need to be clarified. Call me over-analytical, but I have a hard time getting around it. How quickly do the paperclips need to be heated? Do they need to be held at the temperature for any length of time (steady state), or is this just transient heat transfer? Are you trying to make the footprint of the oven as small as possible? Does the opening need to be any particular shape (round, flat, square?) Top-loading, front loading? I can think of a few ways to arrange 20 paperclips and bring them up to your target temp, but they don't all fit the bill. Does your oven need to be sealed, or can it have one or more open ends?

Yeezy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 22, 2014
New Zealand
This is a simple problem you can figure out on your own.
Set up some parameters, search for results that fit in those constraints, select the best.

Getting guys to just brainstorm is very meh, just do diligence by searching for heating methods, noting them down, then studying them.

If we can solve it by guessing that is not a suitable barrier to entry for your product. Do this professionally and figure it out rationally.

Or maybe change the question to, "looking for heaters x size any of you heard of anything?"

Agree, asking some forum members how to heat some paper clips seems like a sketchy road to starting a business.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Not yet but that is my number 1 priority. After seeing my sketch, do you have any suggestions for the prototype?

To be honest, I would have already made 2-3 prototypes. You have so many options to start with.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Because you need proof of concept first. Then you make a prototype out of the best one.

Your prototype has nothing to do with the product working. You need to know if your prototype can make your product.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
Dude.

You should test your idea first. Your trying to skip a valuable step.

I spent 6 months playing with prototypes, using 3d printers, casting molds, etc. Maybe a little to long, but what I learned about what I can and can't do was important.

There are many things you will learn about your product by doing this. You'll also discover things about yourself.

Ultimately its your decision.

To be honest, I don't see why your not doing it. It should take you a weekend at most to do. Maybe less.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't know what you are trying to build exactly. But, you need to get good at this!!!! You cannot count on anyone else to design your product for you. You first make it work. Try a number of different configurations and methods until you are comfortable with the process.

I spent many years working with test equipment in an R&D facility. My job was in product design and test. I made prototypes on a regular basis. Find the places that have materials that you can use. As bio said, leverage off of what is out there.

You sound like frustration is starting to set in. Don't let it. You are moving forward in your journey. Enjoy the challenges!

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
If you don't tell me what you're doing RIGHT NOW, lets just say, there will be one less member on this forum. (Hint: name starts with K ends with W).

Anyhow, I've been following this thread for a while, can't wait for the end result ;)

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
This is a simple problem you can figure out on your own.
Set up some parameters, search for results that fit in those constraints, select the best.

Getting guys to just brainstorm is very meh, just do diligence by searching for heating methods, noting them down, then studying them.

If we can solve it by guessing that is not a suitable barrier to entry for your product. Do this professionally and figure it out rationally.

Or maybe change the question to, "looking for heaters x size any of you heard of anything?"

Last edited:

rcdlopez

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 12, 2012
Los Angeles
Ok, I'm lost now too. So I'll be the first to ask this question. Is this a F*cking joke or are we being serious guys. Sorry I just had to ask, cuz if this is a joke it's getting F*cking lame now. Kill it already! :totalbs:

Kymberly

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Aug 13, 2014
I want to heat up 20 large, metal paper clips to about 375 degrees. Obviously, obtaining the paper clips is the easy part. The "heater box" must be small and easily stowed away when not in use. Usage would be about 4 times per week. I've already tested the idea via placing the clips in the oven and it works perfectly. I've spoken to 17 biz owners and they have validated the need - yes -all of them.

What "heater boxes" are already out there that I could use? I will be more specific if i get any responses. Also, if this is not the right forum for this question, I'd certainly be appreciative of other suggested websites.

Originally, my thought was to heat a small metal strip (with a protective housing) and just slide the clips on to the strip. However, I gotta think there is already something out there . Any ideas?

As always, I appreciate the help.

Soldering iron with temperature control? Small, portable, heats up quick, cools down quick (in this case to 900 degrees max)
Of course it's usually used to solder electrical components together, but without the solder, I'm pretty sure the heat will do what you want with a paperclip.

http://www.newark.com/tenma/21-1590...32K5SC3U|pcrid|41566056141|plid|&CMP=KNC-GPLA

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.