The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I Quit Caffeine This Week... Should You?

Dom117

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Sep 17, 2012
Brussels, Belgium
I quit caffeine about a year ago. It was ugly for a few weeks but I got over it. Now I feel better ALL the time. I had enough of the constant tension and pain in my neck and shoulders.

I quit smoking many years ago. Quit alcohol about 5 years ago. Quit caffeine about 1 year ago. I am too busy doing productive projects and being physically active with fun things to be bothered by any of this other stuff. I get up and 5 am to start my day and go to bed by 10:30. Never a hangover and not bothered by tension.

You should try sleeping 7-8 hours, seems like it could improve your life even more.
It worked wonders for me, I slept for 5-6 hours/night in high school and lived like a zombie all those years.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I drank water and tea for four years straight. When I got to Netherlands I can tell you the sugar in pop, juice, and the caffeine does make you feel tired and sluggish. I had three beers Saturday, I don't drink at all. I can tell you my brain the last few days is slowed down. How I can tell is I am not productive or retaining as much information before Saturday. It was amazing to see that effect, and glad I don't use alcohol on a regular basis. I've never been a caffeine drinker because if I drink it at 5 p.m. I'll be awake until 5 a.m. It effects my body.

I prefer to sticking with water and flavored herbal teas. That is when I feel my best.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yeah... Um... I fell off the wagon and never looked back

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Enjoying a nice coffee right now. :embarrased:
Will never quit. :cigar:

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
I've always hated coffee until I moved to the Bulletproof recipe. I even add a bit of cinnamon, vanilla and cayenne on top of the grass-fed butter and MCT oil.

Bulletproof coffee...haha this was the worst thing that I ever tried.

I tried this because I can't stand the taste of coffee. I tried it 2 times. The first time I made it completely wrong. The second time I made it perfect and I drank it for about 1 month.

I felt terrible during that 1 month of drinking bulletproof coffee. The MCT oil made everything in my kitchen greasy. My hands were always slippery. And I felt like I was literally turning into a stick of butter. I actually ended up quilting coffee entirely for a few weeks because I was so grossed about the idea of coffee after drinking that bullet proof stuff. I drank this stuff before a hockey game and well...that was a bad idea.

I do like the concept of using grass feed butter and MCT oil, but not in coffee.

So I'm back to drinking normal coffee again. I don't see what is wrong with 1 cup of coffee per day. I drink light roast because the caffeine content is apparently higher.

My dilemma is how can I make my coffee taste better without adding a ton of sugar and chemicals? I add a some french Vanilla cream to the coffee, but the product contains a bunch of chemicals that I can't even name so I am worried about that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I actually quit cigars this week... The funny thing is it had been like 6 days since I had one before I decided to. Now that I know I can't have one I want to rip everyone's head off. The real addiction for me isn't the cigar itself, it is the idea that I used to be able to unwind with one if I wanted to.

Caffeine has never really been a problem for me so this is how I relate.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Dude, I can't believe you've just posted this.

I read this entire thread a few hours ago and I was about to say: "how is your caffeine consumption now, 10 years later?"

How was your productivity affected when you were on/off caffeine?
Caffeine is fuel for me. I don’t do drugs I drink very little alcohol. In fact, no alcohol since January.

I prefer a steady caffeine high.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 10

ocricci

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 20, 2013
After abstaining from caffeine for four and a half months, the lingering withdrawal depression persisted, which may not be solely attributed to coffee.

Yesterday I had one cup of coffee, and my mood improved significantly, as if I had come back to life. Now I'm contemplating returning to a decaf lifestyle, but I'm afraid of experiencing the depression and negative moods again.

truesouth

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Mar 6, 2011
Patagonia, Chile
How many different types of caffeine you were taking? I say, others than coffee.

I love the delicious coffee that I make with my AeroPress. This invention takes the best flavor of each coffee bean. I highly recommend it. I have always maintained the limit of two cups of coffee at most every day, and I had no problems.

Do not fall into dementia by this decision you have made!

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
I would be a huge fan of medicinal marijuana, but it is not readily available in the markets that I am in. However, in a few years I think it will be legal across the United States (and is non-addictive for most.)

Yup, because it gives us that extra boost when our minds begin to tire.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Has anyone quit caffeine entirely and noticed a profound difference in mental acuity? And if so, can you give an example of how you came to that conclusion?

Before I quit (for a stint) I was drinking like 8 cups of coffee a day.

The office I worked in was freezing and the coffee was free and warmed me up plenty so I drank a lot of it. This isn't counting any coke or energy drinks or whatever I drank at night.

I quit because I was starting to feel too foggy in the head and jittery in the body. Like I couldn't think straight, forgot things easily, very scatter-brained, my system itself felt like it was overly stimulated (like my heart was racing even if it wasn't).

When I quit cold turkey I felt like all the harsh edges were smoothed out and overall I just felt "cleaner". Getting to sleep was a LOT easier as well (I still never drink caffeine in the evening any longer as a result). I could think a bit better and my body felt like it was working at a normal pace.

I guess if I had to say it was like anything it would be like if you go from eating like crap to eating healthier - you notice it, you feel it, but it's not like some "eureka" moment or anything.

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
a profound difference in mental acuity

Yes and no. If you've become resistant to caffeine life sucks. You can't sleep and you can't stay awake.

After I stopped drinking sodas during the week (I still drink it on the weekends, for fun and anti-sleep aid) I noticed that I started dreaming again, slept better in general, muscles felt better, my mind was more clear.

I only drink one or two sodas on the weekend and I get super tired after drinking them. Must be an adverse reaction to the sugars/huge insulin spike.

Off the caffeine I can get stuff accomplished much faster because I'm not worried about getting my next fix. Plus no sugar brain fog.

As for the headaches, I never got them. I overdosed on water. Caffeine tricks your body, in my experience, into thinking it's not dehydrated. It really is something to look into if you haven't tried it.

Caffeine is water soluble. Average person can quit caffeine in 2 days drinking a gallon of water a day. No headaches.

As for the other side, my testing with caffeine pills helps me improve focus on the tasks at hand. Not good for people with A.D.D.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA

Moodswing

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 23, 2014
Netherlands
Dit not read the whole thread. But saw it was about coffee and a few people asking if anyone has experience with stopping.

First of all I drank a lot of coffee at work 12 cups a day and did this for over 2 years. I purely did this out of habit because I work at a computer all day and have the frequent urge to stand up an walk away. Mostly to the coffee corner to socialize.

What I noticed while drinking coffee was that when I went to the toilet, my urine would smell foul. No I did not really put my nose in it, but I could smell it just standing there. Only when I have coffee that day otherwise not. In the afternoon around 13:00 and/or after I always would get this Buzz and anxiety in my head that stayed there for hours. I stopped coffee cold turkey as a new years resolution and till today have not had a single cup. My urine doesn't smell anymore, I feel less anxiety and no Buzz. However the first weeks I would feel constant restlessness and fluctuating energy dips throughout the day. No headaches though. I don't have them anymore. I'm also planning on never having coffee again.

After a month in the challenge out of habit and not being mindful I accidentally poured me a cup of coffee and took a sip. What I noticed was that I disliked the coffee and found it rather disgusting. This was the same coffee as I always had. I always drank my coffee strong and black. While on coffee I was desensitized from the strong taste.

Schmidty

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jan 19, 2014
Santa Barbara, CA
I don't drink energy drinks, sugary drinks, or soda and haven't in years.

But I'm a huge fan of a cup every once in a while when I need a jump and since I have little to no caffeine intake, one cup gets me WirEdd.

So on that, here's a fun video on COFFEE!!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You should try sleeping 7-8 hours, seems like it could improve your life even more.

It seems that less sleep is needed as I have aged.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I don't drink soda at all. I quit 5 years back. Knowing that it contains aspartame, is enough for me to stay away from toxic poison.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I also would not be surprised that there is a high correlation between the FastLane mindset, and the regular use of products like caffeine and other stimulants.

I used to use energy shots when I started my first company. Highs were great, the lows so low, I was practically incoherent over a voicemail and once fell asleep leaving one to a client.

Never made the mistake ever again.

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
Here's a post I wrote about caffeine from my blog.

Is there a reason to give up caffeine? You bet. Here’s why.

If you are reading this post you are probably having second thoughts about caffeine. Could your irratability, mood swings, or low energy levels be coming from caffeine?

You bet!

Your body is a finely tuned organic machine. I’m going to use a car analogy to explain why caffeine is bad for you. If you put NOS (nitrous oxide) in a car that doesn’t have the right engine what happens? Usually the first run your engine will die because it’s not a high performance engine. In other words the engine is not meant to have NOS in it.

Your body is adaptive which is why many can go years without any real side effects from caffeine. The fuel source that your body is adapted to is food, water, sunlight, sleep, etc. Caffeine is not a FOOD SOURCE. It does not give you real energy. It makes a foreign chemical reaction INSIDE of your body. This reaction is felt as energy but is cause by ADRENALINE. Yes that energy burst you feel after you drink caffeine is an adrenaline rush.

Adrenaline is a stress hormone that is used sparingly by your body unless you provoke it with a stressful situation. When you are hiking in the woods and a bear comes to attack you there will be an adrenaline rush that will give you the best chance of survival. When this chemical is used too much it will start to wear out your adrenal glands causing ADRENAL FATIGUE. When you drink caffeine you body will use up its adrenaline “stores” and after you will have none left and you will crash. Hense why we crash after caffeine. This reaction is cause many negative effects on your health such as.

• Vitamin and mineral deficiency
  • Over Tense muscles causing joint pain
  • Dehydration
  • Low energy levels
  • Which leads to Depression
  • Effects REM and deep sleep cycles
  • ADDICTION
  • Newborn babies with caffeine withdrawl headaches. (seriously)

But I wouldn’t survive without caffeine!

If you are like most people you probably think you are just naturally fatigued all the time and have no energy level. You think that you need caffeine for energy. When its really caffeine withdrawl from lack of caffeine that is making you FEEL like you have no energy. Caffeine withdrawl is the process in which your body is trying to recover from the adrenal fatigue and heal the damage that you have been doing to yourself for years.

Here are some common caffeine withdrawl symptoms.

• HEADACHE (yes we all know this one)
  • Lack of motivation
  • Low low energy levels
  • Stiff Joints
  • Depression
  • Irritability
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
Withdrawl symptoms can last up to 2 WEEKS. That is how long it takes for your body to recover.

You wont know how you feel without the influence of caffeine until after you have been off of it for two or more weeks. So take a 60 day challenge and get off of caffeine.

Rules of the challenge.

For 60 days..

1. I will not consume any caffeine, including, coffee, decaf, chocolate, sodas, energy drinks, etc.
  2. I will not quit cold turkey. Reduce by a little every three days for 2 weeks. This will make the 2 week withdrawl period a smoother road.
  3. I will eat as healthy as I can and exercise. (to get your body in gear faster)
  4. I will keep a journal of my 60 day journey. (let other know what you’ve experienced)
  5. I will drink at least a half a gallon of water per day.
BENEFITS OF QUITTING CAFFEINE

• More consistent energy levels
  • Better control of appitite
  • Weight loss
  • Less joint pain
  • More motivation to kick a$$!
There are other tips to help you quit and reasons why in the book “Caffeine Blues” byStephen Cherniske, M.S.

Davo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 9, 2014
Australia
The one benefit is now when I do have a coffee I actually get the coffee high and have a productive run! I really forgot what that was like as I just didn't feel an effect when I was drinking so many.

Yea agreed. Way better when you get the boost from a random cup rather than your body just crazing for it.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I didn't read the rest of this thread, so not sure if this was mentioned, but you might check out the Bulletproof diet and Bulletproof Coffee.

It changed my beliefs about coffee, and is highly supported by those of us in the life-extension community.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Does life extension mean you want to figure out how to live longer?

Because... I like this life and all, but I see limited value in being 98 vs. 95.

Yes to figuring out how to live longer, but no to living longer as a 98 year old man.

Think more along the lines of 98 year old man in a 20 year old body.

Ask Peter Thiel, he'll tell you ;)

arfadugus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 5, 2014
I didn't read the rest of this thread, so not sure if this was mentioned, but you might check out the Bulletproof diet and Bulletproof Coffee.

It changed my beliefs about coffee, and is highly supported by those of us in the life-extension community.
I'm completely against Dave Asprey.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I made an extensive "bro science" post on the inside on my book progress thread about sucralose, and quite possible Red 40. These artificial ingredients might also be worth abandoning.

You can drink a shot of grapefruit juice before your caffeine intake (or alongside) and it will temporarily inhibit the cytochrome p450 liver enzymes that metabolize caffeine. This will have the effect of prolonging your caffeine buzz.

Rep++

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I made an extensive "bro science" post on the inside on my book progress thread about sucralose, and quite possible Red 40. These artificial ingredients might also be worth abandoning.

Rep++
Cool. I'll check it out. And thanks for the rep.

Just to remind everyone who doesn't read the original post:

* make sure that you're NOT on prescription drugs, otherwise the grapefruit juice trick can be toxic, and
* The trick will wear off in a few days as your body increases the number of enzymes to counteract the blockade by grapefruit juice.

Carry on!

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
I've always hated coffee until I moved to the Bulletproof recipe. I even add a bit of cinnamon, vanilla and cayenne on top of the grass-fed butter and MCT oil. Sometimes I add pumpkin as well. The butter slows down the caffeine a lot more than I expected it would (the initial boost, being on, and coming down are all a much longer process). Most caffeine I get from Yerba Maté, which is also entirely different than what most people think of as caffeine. The last time I had a Monster Energy Drink, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. It scared me, BAD.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.