The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So I Quit Caffeine This Week... Should You?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Farewell, my love.

Farewell sugar free Rockstar that jump started my day.

Farewell diet mountain dew that made lunchtime better.

Farewell sugar free red bull. Even the grey goose is going to miss you.

And farewell to the toxic cocktail of all three of you that I convinced myself didn't affect me.

It's been 48 hours, my love. Everyone says I should be over you by now.

Granted, the Oxycodone helped ease the pain.

Everyone said you were no good for me. I probably continued to see you way too long.

I will surely miss you, my love. But it's over.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I quit caffeine about a year ago. It was ugly for a few weeks but I got over it. Now I feel better ALL the time. I had enough of the constant tension and pain in my neck and shoulders.

I quit smoking many years ago. Quit alcohol about 5 years ago. Quit caffeine about 1 year ago. I am too busy doing productive projects and being physically active with fun things to be bothered by any of this other stuff. I get up and 5 am to start my day and go to bed by 10:30. Never a hangover and not bothered by tension.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Confession time.

I am back on the drug.

I successfully made it through the withdrawal.

So... I went maybe 2 weeks with no caffeine.

I didn't like life as well.

My mind was not as sharp, and I could not give my metabolism a sustained, artificial boost.

Life seemed more hazy. Less energetic.

I learned something valuable. zen******* said it earlier here or elsewhere... caffeine helps me focus.

So... I am back on the drug, and happy to be back.

It was a worthwhile experiment.

But I felt I owed you all the results after starting this thread.

You fellow addicts can all breathe a sigh of relief as I have resumed my love affair/addiction.

:)

:gives:
It’s 10 years later, and I am drinking sugar-free rockstar as I post this

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If I get dementia because I quit caffeine I am going to... going to... wait, what was I talking about?

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I love the delicious coffee that I make with my AeroPress. This invention takes the best flavor of each coffee bean. I highly recommend it. I have always maintained the limit of two cups of coffee at most every day, and I had no problems.

This a lot like saying "Hey, you quit cigarettes? How many were you smoking? I find the flavor of hand rolled cuban cigars amazing, have you had them? Highly recommended".

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Curious...

Has anyone quit caffeine entirely and noticed a profound difference in mental acuity? And if so, can you give an example of how you came to that conclusion?

I admit caffeine is something I have a lot of and sometimes I wonder if it hurting or helping.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Pro tip:

IF you do not take prescription medication (as the vast majority are metabolized via liver enzymes)....

You can drink a shot of grapefruit juice before your caffeine intake (or alongside) and it will temporarily inhibit the cytochrome p450 liver enzymes that metabolize caffeine. This will have the effect of prolonging your caffeine buzz.

Of course, like anything else in biology, your system eventually adapts and the effect will wear off. But it's good for a short term (several day) run.

Again, do NOT attempt if using prescription meds. This can cause toxicity and possibly seizure/coma/death. But if you're not taking Rx drugs, have at it.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I fully embrace and enjoy my addiction to caffeine. As far as vices go, it's pretty reasonable. Quitting is overrated. Having briefly and successfully made it through the withdrawl stage (as was the subject of this thread) I can tell you I was... after the withdrawl symptoms were completely gone... I was less mentally acute and overall energy levels were sustained lower, not higher. If energy were rated on a scale, my non-caffeinated life might have rated at a 6 on a scale of 1-10. My caffeinated life averages a seven with the occasional, artificial boost to 9. Overall I am happier, more focused, and generally better off on a sustained, caffeine-induced "high."

I'm no longer super interested in kicking the habit.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Oh yeah baby. I am over the hump. Headaches gone. Addiction gone. Swollen face in the morning, gone. Caffeine lulls, gone. OK, maybe not but they will be.

Done. F*ck it. I am over it.

Nothing but some high quality H2O, baby. Maybe mixed with some Beam, but that's neither here nor there.

Caffeine is my bitch now.

The world is my bitch now.

Caffeine can suck it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I kicked the habit... for a few weeks.

My caffeine intake is definitely moderated. I will have the daily soda/energy drink, but most of the time I don't even finish the energy drink.

I was way overdoing it. Just like everything else in life, moderation is the key for me.

Caffiene no longer controls my schedule. I control my schedule. Caffeine is now just a tool.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I prefer a steady caffeine high.

I'd be more worried about the cheap B12 (cyanocobalamin) the sucralose (artificial sweetener posing as a "healthy" alternative) and the artificial colors. Compared to that, the caffeine might as well be a piece of broccoli.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Confession time.

I am back on the drug.

I successfully made it through the withdrawal.

So... I went maybe 2 weeks with no caffeine.

I didn't like life as well.

My mind was not as sharp, and I could not give my metabolism a sustained, artificial boost.

Life seemed more hazy. Less energetic.

I learned something valuable. zen******* said it earlier here or elsewhere... caffeine helps me focus.

So... I am back on the drug, and happy to be back.

It was a worthwhile experiment.

But I felt I owed you all the results after starting this thread.

You fellow addicts can all breathe a sigh of relief as I have resumed my love affair/addiction.

:)

:gives:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Caffeine expands the capillaries in your brain, increasing the amount of oxygen to your brain. This makes your brain more alert. The problem is, your brain becomes dependent on the caffeine to maintain the size of the capillaries, and when you quit - the capillaries shrink, giving you a headache, fogginess, etc. The headache can last 4-6 weeks. When you quit caffeine, you should never quit cold turkey. Slowly reduce the amount you intake, say by half a can of Coke each week. You will still have a headache, but it will be bearable. You can reduce the headache by taking aspirin, which is blood-thinner - it will allow blood to travel faster through your brain, getting it more oxygen. Ginkgo-Bilbao will increase the amount of oxygen your blood carries, so that will also help.

If you ever need to cram and learn something quick, you can drink a cocktail of Coke, aspirin, and gingko-biloba, and you will be "Flowers for Algernon" smart for about 5 hours. Also, Excedrin is the best medicine for headaches because it contains both caffeine and aspirin.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I decided that I want to cut out caffeine after having abused it for a few years. I'm starting by reducing it, but I'll get to cold turkey eventually.

I'm somewhat less focused and driven, but I'm actually feeling tired at night again, which isn't something that I'm used to. It's also harder to get lost on dopamine traps (social media) when you're sleeping well.

This video triggered it, though I'd seen others like .

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_xA70lWrDs

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Haven't had coffee in 9 1/2 months, the longest I've gone in 13 years and it feels great. Honestly don't even miss it. My vertigo completely stopped about 4-5 months ago, and I sleep better now.

ocricci

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 20, 2013
I'm 112 days without coffee

- lower blood pressure
- no more anxiety
- no more excessive stress

i miss the crazy "energy" but quitting is worth it =)

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I personally, after reading this and seeing all the addicted adults can only be grateful that I won't ever have this issue.
Why?

I have a genetic thing where I react paradoxically to caffeine: It makes me tired and groggy and has the opposite effect it should have.

I tested this on myself several times, even doing a placebo control test (with the help of my dear mother).
A caffeine tablet of 400mgs makes me more tiered than 2 pills of antihistamines or even actual sleeping pills.
It was so bad that I felt myself drowsing off while WALKING, after taking that caffeine tab.

So yeah, no caffeine addiction for me

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Funny this thread popped up again, I had an upset stomach the other night into the day, And I usually drink a cup of coffee every morning. Wasn't feeling like I would be able to keep coffee down. So I skipped it and holy shit, Besides the caffeine headache and being exhausted, I felt depressed. I was questioning my entire life that day.

I've gone off and on caffeine multiple times, And I usually just wean my self off by drinking half-caf for a week or 2, Quitting cold turkey can be intense. Granted, I was on 2 hours of sleep and sick that day, But its scary when you realize how much of a hold it has on most people.

Will continue to enjoy my morning cup of black coffee though.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Be warned - caffeine withdrawal can result in a really, really annoying and nagging headache that can last days. Hopefully you won't notice it being on oxy though.

I quit caffeine 3 times. It sucked 3 times. Really, really nice feeling "clean" for a change though.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am using the Oxy to cut the headaches to a manageable level. So far so good.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get off the Oxy. (just kiddin')

I was sick for a few days, so used that window to force the purge.

I have heard that to completely shake the caffeine can take weeks, although from what I have read that crazy caffeine headache and withdrawl only lasts a few days, and I have medicated my way through most of that...

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Crap Vig !...You didn't have to go to rehab for all that !

Seriously though...that does sound like a lot of caffeine. I dropped coffee a few years ago and had headaches for a few days. So I just started drinking it again...no more headache ! tada ! I limit myself to 2 cups a day. There are apparently some benefits to drinking coffee. Here's just one article: This Is Your Brain on Coffee - NYTimes.com

Hope you feel better off the caffeine.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm not at all advocating drug use but.. You should probably look into using some medical marijuana. Trying to ease caffeine withdrawals with a highly addictive prescription medication is kinda like playing dice with your life. :(

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Dropped soda a long time ago, but still have ONE cup of coffee a day, mostly because I enjoy it. It may or may not help, but I have tried it and it helped me.... Drink a bottle of water as soon as you wake up in the morning. That hydration helps first thing.

Good luck with it, don't get stuck on that oxy!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'm not at all advocating drug use but.. You should probably look into using some medical marijuana. Trying to ease caffeine withdrawals with a highly addictive prescription medication is kinda like playing dice with your life. :(

I would be a huge fan of medicinal marijuana, but it is not readily available in the markets that I am in. However, in a few years I think it will be legal across the United States (and is non-addictive for most.)

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
I don't drink coffee and rarely drink pop, soda, what ever you want to call it.

I might experiment with coffee for a couple weeks and see how it does me.

That's how I started...

I've now had 2 cups of tea, a grande latte, and a 16 oz energy drink and I've only been up 7 hours. Experiment wisely.

JohnnFour

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Aug 2, 2013
I tried quitting coffee. Failed.

I quit cigarettes. But can't coffee.

I will though.

As for acuity, well-being and other heuristics, I feel you should look at all inputs before deciding whether removing one had a positive or negative effect. Eat food rich in micronutrients and avoid processed foods, exercise throughout each day, think productively and positively, drink water, get enough rest, etc. Do that for three months and then decide how coffee affects you.

Removing one toxin from the effluent might not make the pool potable. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.