The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So how much pay would you require to do this job?

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Climbing a 20 ft ladder without someone footing the bottom is scry enough for me. I cannot believe they dont tie off for this... I want to crap my pants every time he looks down

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I would never do this kind of job, but I'm kind of intrigued to do it once just to challenge my fears and to get it on camera. I guess these guys must have parachutes as an additional security measure.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
Going up doesn't seem that scary, going down tho... Wouldn't it be faster/safer to parachute?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Solus

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 5, 2013
Utah
No, it wouldn't be safer. Or faster. Training people to climb up and down a tower is easy. Teaching people to BASE off a 1,700ft tower takes months, if not more than a year.

Then you have to deal with the dangling tool bag (military takes years to train airborne to drop with gear), the added weight climbing up and while working, trespassing charges, and finding them to pick them up. Because you go real far parachuting down from 1,700ft.

Last edited:

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Wow. Didn't even know this type of job existed. I never thought about how these things get repaired.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
D

DeletedUser394

It would be an experience like none other with an unparalleled view.

Sign me up.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
You couldn't pay me enough.

Even if they proposed a wage that convinced me to sign up, I'd be fired because I would be paralyzed with fear around the 100-200 ft range.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Hmmm... I think I need to change my underwear.

NO but seriously... you could not get me to do that if you paid me $10 mil.....

$100 million to go up once.... I'd seriously consider it.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
There is no way I would try to do that! Not even for $10MM!!! My stomach was turning the whole time watching this! I was scared to death watching this--- I get nauseous when I have to go up to be in a balcony. I always try to get orchestra seats.

2 things I remember from the military: 1. Never place yourself between a fixed object, and a moving object. 2. When climbing always maintain 3 points of contact at all times! 2 feet, one hand... 2 hands, one foot.. SCARY!!!!!!

Edit: 100K We have the same exact thoughts on this one. NO WAY JOSE!!!

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Hmmm... I think I need to change my underwear.
NO but seriously... you could not get me to do that if you paid me $10 mil.....
$100 million to go up once.... I'd seriously consider it.

I thought you would do anything for 100K ;)

Allan Black

Fastlane Fanatic
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 6, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Respect those workers who do this, they have balls.

To climb 1768 Ft Tower, without parachute, and only a climbing harness?

I'd do this. I'd do this for free.

Am I crazy?

You damn right I am!

To climb that tower and go through the process, the emotion, the struggles. That is what makes a person stronger.

What if you had no choice but to climb that tower? What if, what you want is on top of that tower? How high would you climb to achieve your dreams? How far are you willing to go? What are you willing to sacrifice?

This is what makes a man.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Quick question when choosing a job, if you have to go that route...

How much is your life worth?
Now, is the money you get from the job worth your life?

---
2nd thing to point out..

You may all say its "awesome," really? ... Shut up.

If you have to do it once, okay, I'd do it too, its just like climbing Everest, bungee jumping or parachuting...anyone tried wind suit gliding? Yes Id love it, Norway has the best spots for it.

But when you are doing something as a means to earn a living...wouldn't it suck? Wouldn't your passion die out? You bet! Sound familiar? Did you all "read" MJ's book or did you all just skim through it.

-----

To do what those guys on the vid do for a once in a lifetime type of thing, count me in.
To do it as a job, forget it. My life is worth more than $8.00 an hour, in fact my life has infinite value.

Their job sucks, they know it. And they get paid garbage for it... are they honestly telling me there are 99% of the population willing to get paid 8.00 an hour to do that? ...Isn't what you get paid an hour based on what value you bring to a company? And if you are easily replaceable you get paid squat?

So...why are these idiots getting only $8.00 an hour or whatever the average is?

God, end mankind's stupidity.

--
If you refute anything I say in regards to this post, I pity you as well.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I used to build cell towers. We just hired a tower crew to build the tower. They would come back and do things for maintenance and antenna changes. The guys always told me that the newbies have less accidents because they are afraid. It was the guys doing it for 10+ years that lose concentration and lose their fear of falling that make mistakes. My coworker had an accident on his crew where a guy fell off a 180' tower. They are always supposed to be double clipped in. I didn't watch the whole video but it looked like the guy was clipped in "most" of the time. But I never saw him moving the clips. Maybe that part was cut from the video because it's boring?

G

Guest3722A

I didn't watch the whole video but it looked like the guy was clipped in "most" of the time. But I never saw him moving the clips. Maybe that part was cut from the video because it's boring?

In the video they say that OSHA doesn't require them to be clipped in and then they said most climbers prefer to "free-climb" because its faster, and only clip on to the tower when they take a rest.

I find it interesting that you didn't watch it to the end and now I'm wondering who here has actually watched it to the end, even with the anxiety/emotion that it created.

Anyone care to chime in to let me know if you did watch it to the end, and why?

D

DeletedUser394

I respect anyone that earns a living for themselves. Kudos to those guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
Funny how osha requires tieing off above 6ft under regular circumstances but not 1000 feet in the air lol. Personally i over analyze things and I feel like i'd be hit by random anxiety as some point during the ascent causing me to become frozen.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Quick question when choosing a job, if you have to go that route...

How much is your life worth?
Now, is the money you get from the job worth your life?

---
2nd thing to point out..

You may all say its "awesome," really? ... Shut up.

If you have to do it once, okay, I'd do it too, its just like climbing Everest, bungee jumping or parachuting...anyone tried wind suit gliding? Yes Id love it, Norway has the best spots for it.

But when you are doing something as a means to earn a living...wouldn't it suck? Wouldn't your passion die out? You bet! Sound familiar? Did you all "read" MJ's book or did you all just skim through it.

-----

To do what those guys on the vid do for a once in a lifetime type of thing, count me in.
To do it as a job, forget it. My life is worth more than $8.00 an hour, in fact my life has infinite value.

Their job sucks, they know it. And they get paid garbage for it... are they honestly telling me there are 99% of the population willing to get paid 8.00 an hour to do that? ...Isn't what you get paid an hour based on what value you bring to a company? And if you are easily replaceable you get paid squat?

So...why are these idiots getting only $8.00 an hour or whatever the average is?

God, end mankind's stupidity.

--
If you refute anything I say in regards to this post, I pity you as well.
Wow, you sure are something else...

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
I don't see what was incorrect in my thinking.

But you should all know "You have enemies? Good, it means you stood up for something once in your life," I am not those men, I feel bad for the grey haired man climbing that high. Heck maybe he likes it, but I doubt it. If I were in his position, no telling how much I would destroy the tower... then ask for a raise, because they all know they can't get a replacement for a measly $8.00.

I like the working class, they help me move up...

BUT, please talk of inequality of income and the likes of such. IF this is such a huge issue, why accept the leave from the Gold Standard??? Actually...why settle for rates of pay that are demeaning?

Companies like McDonalds for example, or Apple, make billions of dollars a year. Most of their workers get paid minimum wage, or around that...While the real money goes to the higher ups... (Yea it's a perfect system for Entrepreneurs, I like more $ for myself) but...really??? You know what, go ahead, work for minimum wage, you and the rest of the 99% agreed with the terms.

Through collaborative effort and action wages can be raised...I doubt there are many guys doing what the guys in the vid do, and as such, they need to smarten up a bit and start asking for more $.

But hey, who cares what I say? "I am something else" - You are right.

--
Not trying to argue or anything, just trying to make a point, that I hope people are getting.

Enjoy my thoughts.

From Lagron

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Wow, my hands were sweating the entire duration of that video! Props to those guys for climbing!

Mike Kavanagh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 17, 2013
Through collaborative effort and action wages can be raised
Welcome to Communism, destroyer of Soviet Russia. Enjoy your stay.

You know why they probably get paid so little? They are easy to replace. Lots of people, with degrees in radio communications or time in the military with comms experience.
Fear of heights can be outweighed by fear of starvation or harm to the body.
After 2 or 3 climbs, the height wouldn't bother you.

Looked up the job on monster real quick. Average foremen get paid about 20-35 hourly.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
Welcome to Communism, destroyer of Soviet Russia. Enjoy your stay.
Made me chuckle. Thanks on the laugh.

Everyone has their place on earth, a role to play, my feet are firmly on the ground or in an airplane.

mgore714

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 3, 2012
Note: It is NOT $8 per hour. The link that Mike referred to is for a 100-270 foot tower. This tower's over 1,700 feet.

Edit: Did some research. Saw an annually salary of $40,000-50,000. Still really low...

Last edited:

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Funny how osha requires tieing off above 6ft under regular circumstances but not 1000 feet in the air lol. Personally i over analyze things and I feel like i'd be hit by random anxiety as some point during the ascent causing me to become frozen.

You know, as someone who gets anxiety, I can tell you now that's your problem. If something doesn't instantly make you feel like "holy crap get me the hell out of here!" worrying about it will make simple nervousness grow to that level. It's not really random at that point, is it?

... As for the original question, that's very hard to answer. In a hypothetical world where I'd take this job at all, I wouldn't work in stormy, windy, or icy weather. Compensation would be 'low', a mere dollar per foot, plus task based fee, plus they cover my insurance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.