The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Slowlane garbage at family gathering

Anything related to matters of the mind

Been Machine

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 28, 2022
Distant family was over 3 days ago... not even 10 seconds after saying hello, college gets brought up. Ugh. Normally this isn't that big of a deal but these people specifically are IMPOSSIBLE to talk to about stuff like this. It is strictly a 4 year degree or you've failed at life. My one aunt's daughter just started talking to this guy, first question my aunt asks her is, "Does he have a degree?"

I really didn't want to talk about it, they gave advice that I took with a tremendous grain of salt, told them my plans for this summer of taking classes online while working at my summer job. Then came the "What's the rush?" "Don't overwork yourself." "You really want to waste your last summer?" You know just the typical cringe BS. But it gets better.

Everyone started talking about places they want to travel. Obviously no problem with that, but I noticed... everyone was naming places inside the US. Eventually I say, "I want to go to Fiji!" everyone giggled, then my mom pulled the classic:
"Haha! Well if you start saving now maybe by the time you're 50 you can go." ughhhh. I thought of the slowlane right away. This is the same person who had an aneurism when I mentioned I wasn't interested in a 4 year degree.

You seriously cannot change these people's minds about anything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
"I want to go to Fiji!" everyone giggled, then my mom pulled the classic:
"Haha! Well if you start saving now maybe by the time you're 50 you can go."

Funny thing is that traveling outside of the U.S. is often way cheaper. At least anywhere besides Europe.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Yo, relax!

I remember being where you are.

You read the book, think you discovered a goldmine (which you did), and now you see everything through a sidewalk, slowlane, fastlane lens. You probably want to tell everyone you know about how they should be building a business, but no one wants to listen to you.

Not everyone has the same path. Some people are happy where they are. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with working a W-2.

Remember: if everyone was to start a business, you wouldn't be able to find employees.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Yo, relax!

You read the book, think you discovered a goldmine (which you did), and now you see everything through a sidewalk, slowlane, fastlane lens. You probably want to tell everyone you know about how they should be building a business, but no one wants to listen to you.

Not everyone has the same path. Some people are happy where they are. That's okay. There's nothing wrong with working a W-2.

Remember: if everyone was to start a business, you wouldn't be able to find employees.
I need more Charnell in my life. Glad you've been more active lately Fam.

That last bit so true, I wish more forum members heard it.

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Yo, relax!

Exactly. I did the same thing when I read the book for the first time. Over time I've learned to let people hear what they want to hear and move on. Best to focus your energy on those family members and friends who share your interest in entrepreneurship and self-improvement.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Over time I've learned to let people hear what they want to hear and move on. Best to focus your energy on those family members and friends who share your interest in entrepreneurship and self-improvement.
Or better yet… you have two ears and one mouth: use proportionally.

"The person who does the most talking and the person who is the most successful are rarely the same person." (David J Schwartz, The Magic of Thinking Big)

Guyfieri5

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jul 13, 2019
Raleigh, North Carolina
Or better yet… you have two ears and one mouth: use proportionally.

"The person who does the most talking and the person who is the most successful are rarely the same person." (David J Schwartz, The Magic of Thinking Big)
Love your posts. I couldn't agree more.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Distant family was over 3 days ago... not even 10 seconds after saying hello, college gets brought up. Ugh. Normally this isn't that big of a deal but these people specifically are IMPOSSIBLE to talk to about stuff like this. It is strictly a 4 year degree or you've failed at life. My one aunt's daughter just started talking to this guy, first question my aunt asks her is, "Does he have a degree?"

I really didn't want to talk about it, they gave advice that I took with a tremendous grain of salt, told them my plans for this summer of taking classes online while working at my summer job. Then came the "What's the rush?" "Don't overwork yourself." "You really want to waste your last summer?" You know just the typical cringe BS. But it gets better.

Everyone started talking about places they want to travel. Obviously no problem with that, but I noticed... everyone was naming places inside the US. Eventually I say, "I want to go to Fiji!" everyone giggled, then my mom pulled the classic:
"Haha! Well if you start saving now maybe by the time you're 50 you can go." ughhhh. I thought of the slowlane right away. This is the same person who had an aneurism when I mentioned I wasn't interested in a 4 year degree.

This kind of noise and disagreement will be perpetual. Just warn you in advance to get used to it.

It is like you are the main character in your own heroic movie plot.

No one understands you. You cannot change them. They are going try to talk you away from following your own path. If you will fail it will be seen by them as proven right.

But unlike in heroic movie plot, in reality you are guaranteed hardship, twist and turn, but not the happy ending expected in a movie scene.

Take time to build a tough mind and soul against that.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
just say "haha yeah" and then go make a lot of money and do awesome shit and in three years they'll all forget they ever said the wage slave autistic shit they spouted off and they'll say "good for you been machine! we always believed in you!"

My standard for testing ideas is if my family supports it I know it's stupid, and if they think it's a terrible idea then I'm onto something good.

Ideas my family talked shit on:

1. climbing mt.rainier at 19

check me out bitch
image0[20798].jpeg

2. starting a business

we did 30k this month, should be at 50k a month by July

3. Traveling to India

had the time of my life.

image0[20800].jpeg

The truth is, the world can't all be business owners. It needs normal everyday working people. As you grow a business you'll realize if everyone was like you, there'd be no business of yours to succeed.

The amount of people who become entrepreneurs and do great things is just the right amount. No more, no less. Just be thankful you saw the light and didn't end up like your family.

At first you'll argue with them, then you'll just feel superior, then you'll have empathy and pretty soon you'll be thankful for them.

Can't stress enough the value of staying in your own lane, only having serious conversations with other winners and staying focused on your long term goals.

It all works out good bro just keep hustling and learning.

(I should add that literally every single one of those things my family will talk about like it was a great idea all along. Funniest thing ever)

Last edited:

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

I can relate to this feeling. You will want to tell them about Fastlane.

My advice? Don't tell them about it. The Fastlane is a lonely road.

Don't criticize or offend slowlaners or sidewalkers. Do your own thing bro :)

Keep your head down, make relationships with people that will help unscript you, start learning and get your nose down to the grindstone.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Yo, relax!

Spot on

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
At first you'll argue with them, then you'll just feel superior, then you'll have empathy and pretty soon you'll be thankful for them.

Can't stress enough the value of staying in your own lane, only having serious conversations with other winners and staying focused on your long term goals.

It all works out good bro just keep hustling and learning.
Also spot on

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Even today, when so many know the perils of working a 9-5, when complaining about wages, vacations, working conditions is what we see most on the news and social media - most people still just want a safe comfortable life. We will not convince them otherwise. It is a waste of our time and theirs. The best that we can do is go about our path so that we can be the ones they are complaining about.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

You want to really LEVEL-UP the "I ain't following the cultural script!" tension and opposition, tell 'em you're vegan! :rofl:

G

Guest-5ty5s4

"I want to go to Fiji!" everyone giggled, then my mom pulled the classic:
"Haha! Well if you start saving now maybe by the time you're 50 you can go." ughhhh. I thought of the slowlane right away.
Even with a crappy job, going to Fiji is not that crazy (in 2022).

Talk about hyperbole...

But like Charnell said, not everyone is capable of being a leader, entrepreneur, boss, or employer. It's up to us to be the best ones we can be.

(this is really funny because it's like straight out of the Truman show: Fiji represents this unobtainable place, and Truman wants to go there, and here you are, living the show, except that was back then, and this is now)

Last edited by a moderator:

Speculatooor

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Jul 11, 2019
Netherlands
This is a common thing when you have just taken a red-pill of some major understanding.

I used to have the same experience with money, but with another understanding of dating, and bodybuilding as well.

Most people want to stay in their box of mediocrity, combined with acceptance from their environment. They are not happy/fulfilled but are comfortable in the path that society has laid out for them, and the mediocre friends they made along the way.

You have to realize that deep down they want confirmation that they did the right thing. They did what society asked. They try to get you to do it as well, because that is what is best for THEM. If more people do it, it must be a good decision. And if it doesn't work out well, who cares, misery loves company. Atleast they are in the same boat and not alone.

This is also why they subconsciously resent it when someone is successful without taking that path.
Why he and not me? I did everything by the book! He must have cheated somehow. Inheritance, nepotism, exploiting blbabla.

Best is to smile and wave, accept and love them for the flawed persons they are, and try to find like-minded people so you can set yourself up with a positive environment.

DonnyDinero

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Dec 22, 2021
Don't attend again. Let them ask why and they'll likely change their behavior after you told them you don't appreciate how they talk to you.

Can understand how this is irritating, but this seems to be just non-sense trivial small talk. Relax. Doubt they have any bad intentions.

Smile, Nod and then do whatever you want anyway. No need to announce what you know and want to the world.

tb9803

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 6, 2022

Hey Been Machine,
Yea I understand your pain, honestly I would just give up trying to change people's minds and just hustle until you accomplish whatever your trying to do. This quote came to my mind:

"Bees don't waste time convincing flies that honey is better than shit".

I hate it as well when this happens but I guess the only thing you can do is pretend to agree and carry on doing what you were doing.

farouqali

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Jun 16, 2021
whatever you have in mind "keep it under your Hat" its okay to listen to your family opinions. Make more time to yourself and make your Imagination into reality...Along the way you will attract the like minded people towards your Goals. this will be a great moment to travel and learn or even work with great people you meet... "Whenever you travel or make new friends its an opportunity to learn something new"

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Why SHOULD they listen to you? You haven't done shit.
You have a window / some knowledge of the fastlane. No proof.
Like a fat person telling everyone they should eat better.
When you lose 100 pounds, suddenly they all want to talk about it.

So, chill. Now go DO and SHOW and CREATE and they will come to you like @Johnny boy said.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Most people are stupid. Just ignore them and do what you want.

Trying to change their minds just means that you care what they think. F*ck what they think.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.