The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SIXTEEN FAILURES STRAIGHT!!! Until.....

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
THE POWERPOINT THAT CHANGED MY LIFE

Every one of us here has been subjected on numerous occasions to a DRY a$$ Powerpoint presentation where the speaker recites the words you can already see on the slide, points to various graphs, and arranges key takeaways in neat groups of three en route to 60 minutes of foot-twitching boredom... *yawn*

upload_2018-1-8_2-8-41.png

And yet one fateful Wednesday several years ago in Huntsman Hall (don't quote me on the day), it was a Powerpoint presentation that changed my life.

(If you've heard this story before, bear with me... I tell it often, but I am probably not going to stop so get ready to enjoy one more time)

As part of Intro to Entrepreneurship class, we often had guest speakers come in to talk about their Entrepreneurial experiences. The speaker of the day was a successful VC who started his career as a serial entrepreneur.

For most of the presentation I was probably half-listening as I daydreamed and doodled and thought about lunch (I was mildly engaged, but not locked in... Not saying this was a sensible way to behave, but we can be honest with each other, right?) until slide 16 changed the game and stopped me in my tracks.

On this slide, the speaker listed out not his achievements or accolades or successes, but his FAILURES -- sixteen businesses that never took flight, went belly up, or exploded for a number of reasons.

He talked through these failures -- businesses in various related & unrelated disciplines -- in detail. Some were before their time; some he was late to the party; some were just stupid ideas; some he was beaten in the execution phase; some he ran out of time or money... all were ultimately failures -- failures he was able to reflect on, be honest about, and learn from, each time getting better, stronger, and more resilient as an entrepreneur.

micheal-jordan-quote.png

His 17th business sold for $70 million and his 18th sold for $20 million

(honestly these numbers might be an order of magnitude larger... I don't remember, but I think you get my point).

As class closed, I remained glued to my seat for another 10 minutes in a state of reflection, my life forever changed. Thanks to this Powerpoint, I knew exactly what I had to do to succeed.

upload_2018-1-8_2-10-32.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Failure has been mis-used so often and is part of the SCRIPTED life we are taught to live.

We're taught that failure is a bad thing - that if you fail, you get fired, or grades marked against you, when in fact, failure is critical to learn and grow from.

I've also started to incorporate the idea (thanks to Tony Robbins' mindset) that failure is only a thing when you're looking to GET.

Wantrepreneurs 'fail' - you only fail when you're trying to GET something by being an entrepreneur. You failed to get the money you wanted, or the car, or the big house.

But, you can't fail when you're looking to GIVE...

If you have a product that fills a need and helps other people, there should be no reason you 'fail' if you build a solution for that need. The only 'failure' we quantify in our mind stems from wanting to GET something out of the experience of building the product/service that fills the need and we fail to do so.

If you're simply looking to GIVE, and you focus on providing value and solving that need, there should be no reason for 'failure'.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Failure has been mis-used so often and is part of the SCRIPTED life we are taught to live.

We're taught that failure is a bad thing - that if you fail, you get fired, or grades marked against you, when in fact, failure is critical to learn and grow from.

I've also started to incorporate the idea (thanks to Tony Robbins' mindset) that failure is only a thing when you're looking to GET.

Wantrepreneurs 'fail' - you only fail when you're trying to GET something by being an entrepreneur. You failed to get the money you wanted, or the car, or the big house.

But, you can't fail when you're looking to GIVE...

If you have a product that fills a need and helps other people, there should be no reason you 'fail' if you build a solution for that need. The only 'failure' we quantify in our mind stems from wanting to GET something out of the experience of building the product/service that fills the need and we fail to do so.

If you're simply looking to GIVE, and you focus on providing value and solving that need, there should be no reason for 'failure'.
Even in giving and providing value, failure often happens, but it's all part of the game... another opportunity to get data, learn, and improve.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.