The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Six Month Content Fast ( Currently 1 Month In)

Anything related to matters of the mind

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
Have you ever caught yourself mindlessly scrolling on your phone without realizing why you even picked up your phone in the first place? Have you ever said to yourself or your significant other, "Just one more episode," knowing you had to be up early in the morning?

Whether you realize it or not, we are addicted to escaping the world around us. But every time we turn on the TV or open iFunny on our phones, we take time away from our real lives and escape into a fake one. As entrepreneurs, we can't afford to waste our precious time that way.

In one of MJ's books (I can't remember which one), he talks about switching from a consumer mindset to a producer mindset. I believe that when it comes to content (TV, Video Games, Social Media), it's doubly important.

So for the next six months, I'm swearing off all video games, tv, movies, and junk content on Youtube/memes, etc.

My self-imposed rules are, for the next six months:

1. Absolutely no video games or entertaining TV/Movies (including sports)
2. Nature shows or educational videos are fine in strict moderation
3. Social events are the only exception (i.e., a date night movie is OK)
4. Instead of consuming content, produce content. When you get the urge to go watch TV, go produce something instead.

I'm currently one month in, and WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Like a dopamine reset, I am finding so much more joy in my work, which I have been feeling burnt out on for several years. I have gotten back on track with my fitness in the last month, gone hiking in Glacier National Park, Gone camping twice, worked harder at my business than I have in two years, and even have completely rebranded said business.

The content that I have been watching has been educational, and I've been learning how to tie flies (fishing) and create structures out of wood (bushcraft). My relationship has also become much more passionate.

I'll admit, some nights are hard. I think that my brain is still going through a rewiring process. I get straight-up content withdrawal symptoms where I get irritable and snappy due to a long day with none of the traditional downtime that I am used to. I've been trying to listen to audiobooks or reading to get through these moments.

I never thought id see such a massive impact by removing something that seemed so innocuous. My struggle in the past was actually more with gaming. Still, as it turns out, I was escaping into so many things without even realizing it, and I'd be willing to bet that you are too.

So ask yourself, what things are you currently using as an escape, and are they worth giving up for awhile?

(I'll keep updating this thread as time goes on as a progress report of sorts)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.