The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I get a job?

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles
I have one more month of rent and food left. I recently moved and looked for a quick job and got a job offer but the pay is incredibly shit ($18 an hour). I was thinking not taking the job would light a fuel under my a$$ because if i were to take the job I would be too comfortable with my position in the job. What do you guys think? Should I just take the job? How do I make sure I'm not complacent?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I have one more month of rent and food left. I recently moved and looked for a quick job and got a job offer, but the pay is incredibly shit ($18 an hour). I was thinking not taking the job would light a fuel under my a$$ because if i were to take the job I would be too comfortable with my position in the job. What do you guys think? Should I just take the job? How do I make sure I'm not complacent?
You have one month until your on the street and you dont want to get a job?

Forget the fast lane and get off the sidewalk first.

Get a job, any job and do it this week.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
When I was younger, I thought, hey instead of paying house rent... why don't I go live inside my car! You know.. shock the system and light a fire under my entrepreneurial a$$! Not a good idea.

Just get a job. Get a roof over your head and get some food in you.

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles
When I was younger, I thought, hey instead of paying house rent... why don't I go live inside my car! You know.. shock the system and light a fire under my entrepreneurial a$$! Not a good idea.

Yeah some part of my cocky young mind I'd saying BURN THE BOATS FVCK IT but another part of me is saying stfu get a job and save money while you build the business on the side

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles

[/QUOTid you really think that way?

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles

Did you really think that way?
I want to know if I'm a nut for thinking this way or is fairly common

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Yeah some part of my cocky young mind I'd saying BURN THE BOATS FVCK IT but another part of me is saying stfu get a job and save money while you build the business on the side
Did you really think that way?
I want to know if I'm a nut for thinking this way or is fairly common
Yes I did and I look back at it and boy was I naive. I don't have to risk my life and health to "get me motivated or push me to do something". I felt exactly like you. Anyone who wasn't for me or supported me, screw them. I'm going to make it.

If anything if I did that, that would've made my life 10000 times more difficult.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a job. Especially if you need to pay food and rent. There's a huge circle-jerk of negativity in entrepreneurial groups of about how bad it is to get a job. If anything,
1. Get a job
2. Pay the bills to have a roof over yourself.
3. Have money for food.
4. Learn on the job. You're getting paid to learn and mess up. Soak in as much as possible. It doesn't matter if your a fry-cook or some senior person. LEARN and survive.

Roark666

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 6, 2020
Los Angeles
Yes I did and I look back at it and boy was I naive. I don't have to risk my life and health to "get me motivated or push me to do something". I felt exactly like you. Anyone who wasn't for me or supported me, screw them. I'm going to make it.

If anything if I did that, that would've made my life 10000 times more difficult.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a job. Especially if you need to pay food and rent. There's a huge circle-jerk of negativity in entrepreneurial groups of about how bad it is to get a job. If anything,
1. Get a job
2. Pay the bills to have a roof over yourself.
3. Have money for food.
4. Learn on the job. You're getting paid to learn and mess up. Soak in as much as possible. It doesn't matter if your a fry-cook or some senior person. LEARN and survive.
Being introduced to this world I felt that getting a job means I gave up and a loser. I do have the fire in my belly of making it at all cost and feel that having a job is a safety net. I do believe that not having a job will light the biggest fire under my a$$ but I feel it will bite me in the a$$.

Strm

Mamba Mentality!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 4, 2018
Estonia
Let’s say you don’t get a job.
What would you do then?

EDIT: Yes you should.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Being introduced to this world I felt that getting a job means I gave up and a loser. I do have the fire in my belly of making it at all cost and feel that having a job is a safety net. I do believe that not having a job will light the biggest fire under my a$$ but I feel it will bite me in the a$$.
Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. But I’d HIGHLY recommend getting a job if you’re trying to cover rent or pay for food. Especially within the month. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with having a job and growing something on the side.

This will be my final post here because I don’t want to keep repeating my opinion. It’s up to you to ultimately decide.

Luke D

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Sep 22, 2013
Perth
You take the job AND start/work on your business. If you are asking the question, I would guess you either do not have a business or you have one that can't fund a roof over your head.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a job, make sure you have a plan to use it as a stepping stone, save up some runway and then reassess.

Buy yourself some time now and look after your immediate needs. You can still go hard on your business, there are a lot of hours in a week, just keep you ultimate goal in mind.

RichDadPoorDad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 27, 2020
Last edited:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Some people are entrepreneurial as in they simply see problems everywhere, have an idea and set up a company to provide the solution they have concocted

Richard Branson is like this.

But most have simply had a job, got to know that sector and seen opportunities within that sector that they believe they can improve, and then set up a company.

Example. I am just reading in the paper today that two brothers aged 47 and 48 are the lead buyers for ASDA in the UK from WALMART at £6.5 billion.

They own 5500 petrol stations (Gas Stations) and have bought hundreds across the US too. Plus hundreds of shops called Krogers in the US. Presumably they have no petrol stations so they must be thinking of adding them.

When Shell and BP and Esso were selling thousands of them to get out of the dying market they started buying them up as they saw what now seems obvious.

Anyway, guess where they worked when they were younger to have figured out 'what if we did this?' and the tested it.

Yep. A petrol station. And then they bought one. And then another. And then....

So whatever job you have been offered there will be companies making tens of millions in that field.

Any job is a cog. Branson is simply a cog in a machine of his creation but none-the-less still a cog.

It is up to you to either look at being a cog and moan about it or to try and figure out how your particular cog fits into the complete machine and see if you can figure out ways that you could improve the machine.

Dan

Code4fun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 24, 2020
You have one month until your on the street and you dont want to get a job?

Forget the fast lane and get off the sidewalk first.

Get a job, any job and do it this week.

Thats level one in MJ's steps to the top. you have to start somewhere

Olov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 10, 2019
Just remember if you don't get a job now, then you are putting more at risk. If you mess it up, it would take a lot of effort, energy and time to re-build - which will prolong your business success. I assume.

I take risks, but I always try to be calculated about it and not risk losing what I have and taking steps backwards.

When I was a teen my dream was to leave the slum I was living in and go to UK. One evening I had enough, so I booked a train tickets and went to England. I had only booked a hotel for 1 week.

Getting a job, bank account and housing during a week's time was too much, obviously. So I had to go back home with the tail between my legs.

My will was "too" strong, in the sense that I became irrational.

As men, we need to be logical and calculate things. Don't make moves based on emotions. I fully understand that you want this more than anything - but is it really the smartest move? Probably not.

Taking a crappy job is probably the hardest step, but might be the best one.

All the best.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I have one more month of rent and food left. I recently moved and looked for a quick job and got a job offer but the pay is incredibly shit ($18 an hour). I was thinking not taking the job would light a fuel under my a$$ because if i were to take the job I would be too comfortable with my position in the job. What do you guys think? Should I just take the job? How do I make sure I'm not complacent?
You can always create a progress thread on your side hustle here if you fear of being too comfortable and have no accountability to your business goal.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
"Burning the boats", "going all-in", "going broke or going rich"...

I've made this mistake way too many times.
The rationale was always the same: Steve Jobs/Bill Gates/Mark Zuckerberg all quit what they were doing to go full time on their business, so why shouldn't I?
Besides, if you're a real entrepreneur, you have no time for a job, that would be for average joes...Me? I want to HUSTLE!

Well no.
Thanks in part to @MJ DeMarco, and also some other great insights I got from various sources, it took me *only* 7 years to understand that having a regular job does not preclude building a business (save for a few rare exceptions).

What I realized is if you can't start a profitable business working on it 5-10 hours a week on it, throwing in more hours won't change the results.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
If you hate Dan Lok,If you think he is a scammer,just don't watch these videos...But also these videos may help you....

!Attention! Youtube videos are free,but fake guru courses are not free!
IF YOU JOIN A RUBBISH COURSE,YOU WILL GET POOR OVERNIGHT!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJC0gMRmSqw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bigHWJZkHWQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PBkTn1WBGA
You got to be trolling right? Gravy vee as your profile pic, Robert kiyosaki book as your name and giving out Dan lok vids like they are going out of fashion:rofl:

RichDadPoorDad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 27, 2020

RichDadPoorDad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Sep 27, 2020
This is the BEST answer!
''I once tweeted that if you’re not willing to take a minimum-wage job, you’re
not willing to be an entrepreneur. Entrepreneurs can go weeks, sometimes
months, without getting paid. Are you willing to make that sacrifice? If you aren’t
willing to work for the minimum, how can you expect to work for nothing?'' - Extracted from UNSCRIPTED CHAPTER 14(Threat#2:Your Guarded PrideAnd Ego)

lobo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 20, 2019
If the business is not creating enough income to pay for your personal necessities (food/rent/etc), and to fund the GROWTH bills for your business (marketing is a big one). You should probably get a job.

This was a hard one for me to learn. If you don't have skills that will put you in a decent paying job. It might be a good idea to find a highly paid skill, spend time learning and mastering it and using that to get you a job that provides enough income to live well and give you money to use for a business.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
In fact, there is a small risk that by agreeing to this low-paid job, you will not want to change it after.
If it is so, then OP wasn't meant for entrepreneurship after all.

Shino13i

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 26, 2022
Just remember if you don't get a job now, then you are putting more at risk. If you mess it up, it would take a lot of effort, energy and time to re-build - which will prolong your business success. I assume.

I take risks, but I always try to be calculated about it and not risk losing what I have and taking steps backwards.

When I was a teen my dream was to leave the slum I was living in and go to UK. One evening I had enough, so I booked a train tickets and went to England. I had only booked a hotel for 1 week.

Getting a job, bank account and housing during a week's time was too much, obviously. So I had to go back home with the tail between my legs.

My will was "too" strong, in the sense that I became irrational.

As men, we need to be logical and calculate things. Don't make moves based on emotions. I fully understand that you want this more than anything - but is it really the smartest move? Probably not.

Taking a crappy job is probably the hardest step, but might be the best one.

All the best.
Made a similar decision, guess getting a job isn't so bad if it isn't the end all be all

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
"I felt that getting a job means I gave up and a loser."

Think about a job as an entry ticket to more opportunities. If you find a painful problem to solve, offer the best solution to a problem to help people, then they pay you for your solution and you will not need a job anymore.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.