The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

SELLOUT!

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Would anyone mind explaining the mindset behind this?

It's like when a bunch of people like a band that no one else knows about, they all say "Awh man, they're totally underrated and don't get the publicity they deserve!".

The day finally comes where they get their big break and all of a sudden everyone knows about them.

Now the people who were originally saying they are underrated are now saying "They've sold out!".

The same thing is sort of happening to me, and I don't get why you wouldn't want to see someone you support grow.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
In your situation? Jealousy. Envy.

When it comes to bands, I don't get it at all. Good music is good music to my ears, regardless of if it's "mainstream". I think people just like to feel like part of the special club when the band is small.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Well, the term is mostly used when that someone (like a band) changes their ways or style radically - in order to please a different crowd or demographic for the sake of favoring money over fan or follower loyalty.

A prime (and to me, sad) example from the music industry is Metallica.

They originally were an incredible band that really stood out with their technical musical abilities, speed metal songwriting, and their own very distinct sound. They first released 4 albums that their fans deeply loved and treasured. Because every album delivered on that same promise. It is what was expected. And the fans absolutely loved it. Yet - the band was still not at all mainstream, and their hardcore fans preferred it that way. Some may have said things like "these guys are underrated and deserve more attention", but they really should have been careful what they wished for...

Then, Metallica all the sudden did a 180, decided to switch musical gears completely, and turned toward the radio-friendly mainstream, and onto MTV. Gone were the speeding riffs, gone was the raw drive and sound from the first four albums (don't get me wrong, the Black album technically sounds better from a production point of view than the first 4 but that is besides the point). Gone was the long hair and the heavy metal style lyrics and antics.

They in essence, had "sold out". They had pretty much abandoned the majority of their loyal fanbase in favor of more profits and commercial success. Now, from a business perspective - they did ALL the right things. They went totally fastlane. Good for them. So for that, I have to give them tons of credit. But of course - the original fans are left with a different impression, feeling abandoned, and that their idols 'sold out'.

Now - I don't know about your personal situation - but what do you think you have done or changed that make people say this? You're not a band I assume, so I take it this has to do with maybe giving up your career in favor of pursuing the fastlane? If so, don't listen to the naysayers.. ;)

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
@Eskil, you made me start up spotify to listen to some old metallica!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"Selling out" would be me catering to the MLM crowd in my next book and saying "If I was to do it all over again, I'd join an MLM"

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
@Eskil is spot on

I would say if you haven't changed much from who you are in your core being then its jealousy speaking... and if you have changed so what... your allowed to evolve and grow. :p do what makes you happy and screw everyone else.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
@Eskil, you made me start up spotify to listen to some old metallica!

Lol.. good. Those albums are killer. Also, if you like them - you're gonna love songs like "Soldiers of the Wasteland" and "Fury of the Storm" by melodic speed metal gurus DragonForce! :rockon:

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
ot but metallica was one of the best concerts ever back in the day :p (93ish)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
In your situation? Jealousy. Envy.
Yep.
Stress kills so don't give it another thought.
Do what you do. Make your MONEY and Ef 'em !!

Lol.. good. Those albums are killer. Also, if you like them - you're gonna love songs like "Soldiers of the Wasteland" and "Fury of the Storm" by melodic speed metal gurus DragonForce!
Dude....I'll be at the 2015 B & P and I think Scottsdale...Hell...all of AZ will know we were there because their ears will be ringing for weeks after us BLASTING some great ROCK AND ROLL !! Back atcha :rockon:

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
@Eskil has hit the nail on the head.o
Selling out means to compromise your artistic integrity for money.

It may be pandering to the lowest common denominator, it may mean adopting a gimmick to sell more tickets,
it may mean Bruce Willis as a boxer "taking the fall" in Pulp fiction.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.