The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling websites...

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
Would like to hear some thoughts on the following scenario...

1. Create website (w/catchy name + hosting + content) - can be anything really, the more hands off the better. Continually adding content daily

2. Sprinkle ads around the site via adsense. - Start making ad revenues

3. Get traffic to the site - aim for organic w/a mix of paid to get started

4. Sell on flippa & repeat

Is this too good to be true? Should I be concerned about anything I haven't mentioned? Anyone have any flippa selling or buying experience?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I have not had a huge online success to speak of yet but...here is my two cents on the matter.

Why not instead of focusing energy in making short term profits....focus on building a website that fills a need, solves problems that can create a long-term, restively passive income that has the ability to scale.

I would rather sell one website for $1m rather than 1000 websites for $1000 each.

Read MJ's post on getting up to bat and hitting singles and winning the game or swinging for the fence for a homerun.

I think this is a prime example....how many singles (create a website, get some traffic, get some adsense income type deals) would it take to make a huge income rather than having just one website that can bring in $10k, $25k, $100k, $1m+ per month.

Just something to think about....

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Website + ??? = Profit!!

A few thoughts.

If you can get the traffic and earn even a few dollars a day off of ads then why would you want to sell the website? Just continue building websites like this.

If you can't get the traffic then you won't be earning anything off of the ads so what value does the website have?

I'm sure you can find a few victims willing to buy these no-earnings websites on flippa or the like but it's not a business I'd want to be in...

piotrkrzyzek

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Jun 22, 2011
Glenview, IL
I don't care what anybody says, but organic traffic and SEO is not a quick and easy game. It takes a lot of research, and a lot of effort.

Except to hold the site for at least a few months while organic traffic grows. Adsense clicks don't come that easily either AND they aren't a guaranteed thing either.

AdamMaxum

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
okay. i can agree with the viewpoints being made.

What I'm gathering is that if I can build a profitable site either a) focus on building it to become something huge or b) keep them and rake in the earnings myself

I suppose it all depends on what type of site you're building and for what purpose. I wouldn't make a "make money using ebay" site, ever expecting it to become something huge. I may however, make some decent money off the ads and then use those earnings to sell it on flippa for 1, 2, 10k or something instead of letting the site die or become less profitable over time or having to upkeep it.

Is it worth my time to create these types of websites and sell them this way? I guess it depends. If i can spend a couple weeks creating a site, and then repeat this process over and over again, continually growing my sites until they reach the point of "maturity" and can be sold or I can keep them to myself and reap the revenue, well that may be worth my time.

piotrkrzyzek - Yes, I agree to an extent. Sometimes if you pick a crowded area it can be real hard, and you essentially have no chance of reaching the front page. I take that into account before even creating a website, do a little research (maybe an hr or 2 tops), name the site accordingly and keyword it up, and I've had websites up on the front page of google within days. I will also be mixing in cheap google ads (less then 5c a click) to reach the front page and generate traffic if I need to. Of course there are a variety of other ways to generate traffic without search engines too.

I guess I'll give it a go and see what happens. Maybe I'll sell them at some point. Maybe I'll keep them. Maybe I'll grow one of them into something huge. Who knows. I'll only ever discover these answers along the journey.

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
So my viewpoint is slightly different. First what you described is not a fastlane business. You can make some descent money doing this. Even though the sale may have a good dollar per hour rate you are still trading time for money. You have to constantly build new sites to sell and adsense revenue - forget about it. At best they may make a few thousand a year and it will take a long time to get it to that level.

Here's my other perspective - build these to generate income that you can plow into your core business. If you are trying to get a fastlane site up and going it's going to take time and you still have to pay bills untill it starts producing income. Just do the minimum to pay the bills with these sites and devote the rest of your attention to a fastlane biz.

Yeah I know MJ, it's not monogamy but when you're young your allowed to play around a little right :)

itsallwhite

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 21, 2011
Websites sold through a broker will sell for a much higher price than those sold on flippa, you are looking at a multiple on flippa of x10-x12 monthly earnings but a broker will sell for a multiple of at least 3 times yearly earninfs, but won't touch a site worth less than $100k - some of them more. I think if you have the investment you can create a large, profitable site, get your investment returned through commissions generated while you have the site and then flip for 100% profit - obviously not as simple as that and a bit of a risk but...

petethepeddler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Sep 2, 2010
PA / NY
Is this too good to be true? Should I be concerned about anything I haven't mentioned? Anyone have any flippa selling or buying experience?

No it isn't too good to be true. It is hard work, but very doable.

Take a look at the challenge. Its a free 30 day step by step training program for exactly what your talking about.

The Challenge

It gives you tasks and resources along the way.

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Do you understand the difference between a money maker and a business?

What you are describing below is a money maker, not a business.

Would like to hear some thoughts on the following scenario...

1. Create website (w/catchy name + hosting + content) - can be anything really, the more hands off the better. Continually adding content daily

2. Sprinkle ads around the site via adsense. - Start making ad revenues

3. Get traffic to the site - aim for organic w/a mix of paid to get started

4. Sell on flippa & repeat

AdamMaxum

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
Thanks pete - I'm hesitant about the site but I'll give it a shot and see what it's about

itsallwhite - thanks for the info. I don't know if the sites I planned on cranking out would be worth 100k or more, but i'll keep that tidbit in mind

domular & valuegiver - Yeah it's not a business. My plan like you suggested domular would be to create some websites, generate revenue passively, and focus on a bigger website/program/service aka my fastlane.

I see it like this..would I rather build some sites, yes they require some time, and make a decent amount a month (1k+) or work a job for 200-300 a week to sustain my current lifestyle (bills). I feel like I'd have more free time with the sites. It also allows me to work from home/anywhere.
To survive you have to generate income. I don't have savings to live off of. I feel like in order for me to focus entirely on my fast lane I have to generate some sort of income to live off of, or eventually I would end up in the street. Selling websites offers me that income, knowledge, and more free time then a job ever would.

verticalways

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 3, 2012
Southern California
Completely agree Except

I don't care what anybody says, but organic traffic and SEO is not a quick and easy game. It takes a lot of research, and a lot of effort.

Except to hold the site for at least a few months while organic traffic grows. Adsense clicks don't come that easily either AND they aren't a guaranteed thing either.

I completely agree with you except I would like to add a bit more to what you said.
1. Adsense is for a site that is receiving lots of targeted traffic whether it be from search engines, forums, commenting however you receive your traffic, that is the only way you will make money with it! If you don't have visitors coming to your site you have no one clicking on ads, links, pages etc.
2. Nothing is guaranteed - a job, your life so why even point that out?
3. SEO is difficult more than likely because you choose a site that is difficult to rank for. If you are truly trying to make a passive income you can send me an email and maybe we can work on your strategy together (for FREE).

I hope this helped.
Matt

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
What about selling websites without the revenue, seo, traffic etc.?

just nice looking ready to go and make money sites?

take a look at something like this, sold for 5k, just because of the nice design, it has no revenue or visitors:

https://flippa.com/2813501-disaster...fessionally-built-on-bigcommerce-shopping-car

The buyer got ripped off. What did he get for $5k? A hosted BC cart, a supplier and a custom template?

However, being on the seller side, these are very profitable. I estimated that I could make $110k a year easily selling this stuff. But I would have a lot of unhappy customers because people buying these sites will not make their money back without help.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Do you understand the difference between a money maker and a business?

What you are describing below is a money maker, not a business.

What is the difference between a money maker and a business?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.