The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Selling Domains on eBay?

Domain Resale: Big Bucks?

• Flip those babies.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Focus elsewhere.

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Out of curiosity, I sought out the most expensive item on eBay. Wouldn't you know it was a "portfolio" of 5 car-related domains with "good traffic" and "high appraised values" being sold for a few million bucks.

No bidders.

I wonder if any of you squatters or parkers have had any luck pawning off domains on eBay or some similar market.

I own just shy of twenty domains, but I own them for me and my perceived ability to create value with them. We all know that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and people aren't exactly banging down my door with offers.

Is it fastlane to buy domains for $9.99 and sell them on eBay? Even if I can't get millions, the overhead seems pretty low.

Then again, it seems the savvy web developers have their own ideas and register their own domains... How is the secondary market for such a thing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've been noticing there are 2 groups of people ... those that know the real value of the domains and sell them at a modest premium (say 500% gain) and those that don't ... they try to sell junk domains for $1,000's when at best, they are worth $100.

I see retards advertising "my-domain-website-for-you.biz" and wanting $500 for the POS. Makes me laugh. No wonder there are ZERO bids.

You can find some awesome domain names in the secondary market: I just bought a five letter, single word web2.0 name for $49 bucks a few months ago.

I find a lot of good deals on the SitePoint marketplace ... some real gems hidden in there and many are under $100. I see people selling worse domains for 100X more.

As for your question, NO it isn't Fastlane. You stop selling domains, your income stops. The exception is if your domain portfolio is worth millions and parked earning arbitrage money ... or sold for millions ... then you sell and collect interest on your millions.

veli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 11, 2008
MJ: Thanx for mentioning Stiepoint. I had never heard of it before you mentioned it (not that Ive searched much for domainsites/names for sale), but I have looked at it and it looks interesting. Now its just about finding the right site :) Are there any other sites, similar to sitepoint that is any good?

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Is it fastlane to buy domains for $9.99 and sell them on eBay? Even if I can't get millions, the overhead seems pretty low.

I looked at ebay last week after folks mentioned 99 cent domain names.

It was a good exercise, going through all the names for sale. Some have initial attraction, but then one can see, they're garbage for SEO. It's a good filtering task to develop ones domaining skills.

You can also put names on your watch list and see what they end up going for.

I did buy a couple names. The time it took was worth it from the bootcamp perspective, but otherwise probably not.

One idea might be to buy a 99 cent name there and sell it for more. But that's way not fastlane. :)

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Thanks for the simple, thoughtful responses. I agree 100%. I thought those eBayers were shooting in the dark.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I just searched ebay's completed auctions
with the keyword "domain".

Looks like the highest sold of late there was
$15,000 and then some $2,500 and $1,000
ones as the next general price point.

On the other hand, if you have a classic name
worth $15k, should it be sold??

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
Yeah. I think MJ referred to un-hyphenated dot-coms as the Boardwalks of the Monopoly game of web property. It certainly seems that they are a scarce resource whose values will increase as supply declines.

PEERless

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jan 23, 2008
LOL... that's a pretty broad statement. What would be better?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.