The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Self-Doubt? This Is Your Competition

Anything related to matters of the mind

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I recently started learning French.

To build the basics, I started with Duolingo which is a very fun and effective gamified platform for learning languages.

It's so well-designed and addictive that learning feels like playing a game.

It takes very little effort to study. You look forward to it every day. It's hard to stop once you do one lesson because you get rewards and want to continue.

In the first week, despite traveling and having much less time than usual, I've been studying with Duolingo at least 30 minutes a day.

I just received my first weekly progress report. Take a look:

1703328658821.png

It completely blew my mind that 97% of people quit after less than 4 hours of studying. Of course, some may have decided to use another language learning software or work with a tutor or study in a different way. But most likely the majority quit because they just gave up.

They gave up despite using the easiest, most entertaining, game-like language learning software that makes it so easy that it feels like playing and not studying.

Learning a new language is infinitely easier than building a successful business. If you're not sure whether you can make it, remind yourself that this is your competition.

If you do the bare minimum, you're already ahead of 97% of people and your competition shrinks dramatically.

Out of 1,000 people pursuing the same business idea, a year from now only a few will remain. Will you be one of them?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

freek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
It’s so easy to be great nowadays, because everyone else is weak. If you have ANY mental toughness, if you have any fraction of self-discipline; The ability to not want to do it, but still do it; If you can get through to doing things that you hate to do: on the other side is GREATNESS ” – David Goggins

The average american is overweight in debt and divorced, it's not that hard.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

To build the basics, I started with Duolingo which is a very fun and effective gamified platform for learning languages.

It takes very little effort to study. You look forward to it every day. It's hard to stop once you do one lesson because you get rewards and want to continue.

In the first week, despite traveling and having much less time than usual, I've been studying with Duolingo at least 30 minutes a day.

View attachment 53105

It completely blew my mind that 97% of people quit after less than 4 hours of studying. Of course, some may have decided to use another language learning software or work with a tutor or study in a different way. But most likely the majority quit because they just gave up.

They gave up despite using the easiest, most entertaining, game-like language learning software that makes it so easy that it feels like playing and not studying.

Learning a new language is infinitely easier than building a successful business. If you're not sure whether you can make it, remind yourself that this is your competition.

If you do the bare minimum, you're already ahead of 97% of people and your competition shrinks dramatically.

Out of 1,000 people pursuing the same business idea, a year from now only a few will remain. Will you be one of them?
Thanks for sharing. Been wanting to expand my German language skills. This could be a fun way to do it.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
IMG_3392.jpegI agree. Duolingo is so much fun.

I had it and began learning Portuguese and in 41 days, I got 423 minutes.

Not much, but in 1 day, I got 100 minutes.

I soon deleted it and lost my streak, but now I’m going to try to relearn.

If 423 minutes in a year is too 9%, that’s like a minute and a half every day.

My goal for 2024 is top 1%

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It’s so easy to be great nowadays, because everyone else is weak. If you have ANY mental toughness, if you have any fraction of self-discipline; The ability to not want to do it, but still do it; If you can get through to doing things that you hate to do: on the other side is GREATNESS ” – David Goggins

The average american is overweight in debt and divorced, it's not that hard.

Yeah, not even the average American but the average human being around the world, too.

Thanks for sharing. Been wanting to expand my German language skills. This could be a fun way to do it.

It's pretty good for learning the basics. But if you want to go further and faster, supplement it with a tutor from Italki.com. I had my first French class with a tutor (native French speaker) after a few days of using Duolingo and was able to use (broken) French for up to a few minutes.

If you have some understanding of German, you'll manage fine during a live class as well. But yeah, Duolingo is still great, particularly when you only have a few minutes and can't schedule a 1-hour class.

View attachment 53109I agree. Duolingo is so much fun.

I had it and began learning Portuguese and in 41 days, I got 423 minutes.

Not much, but in 1 day, I got 100 minutes.

I soon deleted it and lost my streak, but now I’m going to try to relearn.

If 423 minutes in a year is too 9%, that’s like a minute and a half every day.

My goal for 2024 is top 1%

Good luck. If you can get a tutor, you'll be also more motivated to study in between as you'll want to have a nice conversation as soon as possible. And if you have friends or family members speaking your target language, then that's the best thing ever for learning a foreign language super quickly.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Yeah, not even the average American but the average human being around the world, too.

It's pretty good for learning the basics. But if you want to go further and faster, supplement it with a tutor from Italki.com. I had my first French class with a tutor (native French speaker) after a few days of using Duolingo and was able to use (broken) French for up to a few minutes.

If you have some understanding of German, you'll manage fine during a live class as well. But yeah, Duolingo is still great, particularly when you only have a few minutes and can't schedule a 1-hour class.

Good luck. If you can get a tutor, you'll be also more motivated to study in between as you'll want to have a nice conversation as soon as possible. And if you have friends or family members speaking your target language, then that's the best thing ever for learning a foreign language super quickly.
Yep. Just re installed it and tried a lesson. Gosh I forgot so much. I’m going to start talking to people in it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As I mentioned in TGRRE , the largest business in the world is the business of shortcuts.

And some shortcuts aren't short enough.

lifemaker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Oct 26, 2023

View attachment 53105

Leaving the forum not always means forgetting or stop pursuing entrepreneurship. But,
the forum has many great people that share valuable experience about fastlane journeying, which IS very helpful.
As my knowledge from two books says: “Main purpose of fastlane is to get ‘Freedom to choose’ ”, which means if worked in the correct system hard, smart and long enough you'll be able to reach your dreams.

and if information about people quitting Duolingo is true... wow, just wow.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
1703374161647.png

Just like Duolingo...

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
A perfect illustration for why you should expect a Fastlane journey to be challenging. For all (or nearly all) of the starting group to succeed, the barrier to entry would have to be 1 day of coding. That would be like the business equivalent of receiving $1m for filing for an LLC. This could easily be a graph of New Year's Resolutions.

Discipline > Motivation

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 4, 2019
Seems like a crazy statistic but at the same time not that surprising when you look around. People give up on things so easily, even big things like marriage. Although like you said, using Duolingo is like an addictive game so I guess that does make it more surprising to see how fast people quit.

I've been studying Korean vocab for a couple years every day while I eat lunch. I know a ton of words at this point by just studying 5 minutes a day. I could obviously be much further ahead if I studied an hour a day, but just commiting even to something small over time amounts to big results.

I do need to step up my game this year though and start learning more grammar.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I also tried Duolingo after speaking 3 languages already. It is okay to just BARELY be scrapping the surface of what learning a language means. So for me, it was not that it was too stressful, just that it was TOO EASY. So you are fooling yourself that you are doing things, but in reality, you are playing quizzes. Sorry telling you what you have to hear not what you want to hear. You want to hear that playing Duolingo makes you a DOER. It doesn't.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Seems like a crazy statistic but at the same time not that surprising when you look around. People give up on things so easily, even big things like marriage. Although like you said, using Duolingo is like an addictive game so I guess that does make it more surprising to see how fast people quit.

I've been studying Korean vocab for a couple years every day while I eat lunch. I know a ton of words at this point by just studying 5 minutes a day. I could obviously be much further ahead if I studied an hour a day, but just commiting even to something small over time amounts to big results.

I do need to step up my game this year though and start learning more grammar.

I strongly recommend getting a Korean teacher, for example from Italki. If you already have vocabulary, you can Tarzan speak and learn grammar through practice.

Last edited:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Since nearly 40 years I spend some weeks a year in Greece.
I didn’t learn speaking Greece until like 7 years ago. I got an Duolingo account and started. I was a t the about 10 top %, when I recognized, that I can’t remember words and I slowly stopped with it.

So the reason, why I tell you is, that someone, who fails, can serve as a negative example.
So, if someone wants a 99% negative example: here I am! ;)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Since nearly 40 years I spend some weeks a year in Greece.
I didn’t learn speaking Greece until like 7 years ago. I got an Duolingo account and started. I was a t the about 10 top %, when I recognized, that I can’t remember words and I slowly stopped with it.

So the reason, why I tell you is, that someone, who fails, can serve as a negative example.
So, if someone wants a 99% negative example: here I am! ;)

Duolingo by itself isn't going to teach you a language. It's only a supplement, one of the tools but not the only tool.

For me, Duolingo is only a starting phase. It could just as well be any other language learning software. I use it to get the basics and study in an entertaining way when I have only 30 minutes or less.

Otherwise, my primary focus is my live online classes with a professional teacher. I also use Anki for better memorization. When my level is high enough, I'll transition to French cartoons and other easy level native content. From there, I'll progress to TV series and other regular adult stuff.

If you think of Duolingo as a stepping stone, it's a great tool. If you think of it as your ticket to fluency, you'll fail for sure.

mcpretelin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 1, 2020
Thousand Oaks, CA
Nice! I’ve also been studying Korean vocab for a couple years on Duolingo, but only a few months ago had the opportunity and courage to attempt speaking w someone. It was exhilarating and even though i fumbled words and went back to English to ask questions, it was so memorable and fun. I had a second experience a few weeks ago running into a guy running a local shop i was buying a tool from. I asked to practice again and he was cool, and recommended HelloTalk. I haven’t spent much time on it yet but it’s basically an app where u can chat or listen to live people, using your mic. So you can practice speaking and hear others. Aside from music/shows etc, this could be another great way to practice using the language more! I’m looking forward to improving my conversational skills because after years on Duolingo, i still can only understand a few words or phrases.
Good luck, 행운을 빌어요!

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 4, 2019
Nice! I’ve also been studying Korean vocab for a couple years on Duolingo, but only a few months ago had the opportunity and courage to attempt speaking w someone. It was exhilarating and even though i fumbled words and went back to English to ask questions, it was so memorable and fun. I had a second experience a few weeks ago running into a guy running a local shop i was buying a tool from. I asked to practice again and he was cool, and recommended HelloTalk. I haven’t spent much time on it yet but it’s basically an app where u can chat or listen to live people, using your mic. So you can practice speaking and hear others. Aside from music/shows etc, this could be another great way to practice using the language more! I’m looking forward to improving my conversational skills because after years on Duolingo, i still can only understand a few words or phrases.
Good luck, 행운을 빌어요!
Awesome! I actually downloaded hello talk a while ago but haven't used it yet. I have some friends in Korea I could text too, but usually talk to them in English. I think I just don't want to sound like an idiot but that's something I need to just accept as part of the learning.

mcpretelin

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jun 1, 2020
Thousand Oaks, CA
Awesome! I actually downloaded hello talk a while ago but haven't used it yet. I have some friends in Korea I could text too, but usually talk to them in English. I think I just don't want to sound like an idiot but that's something I need to just accept as part of the learning.
Totally! Yea i feel the same way sometimes but it honestly feels better to try and look stupid than not try at all. For example, i have a friend who is Mexican and his whole family speaks Spanish, but he never learned. I always tell him u can practice w me or other workers around us, but he’s too shy. I’m guilty of being my own worst critic so i get it! lol but we got this!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Been on this for about a week. My German is definitely improving. I didn't expect the app would have so many different approaches to learning. For example, typing translations and listening tasks are really helpful.

I haven't had a need to speak German in nearly a decade and a half, but a lot is coming back to me, and I can understand and communicate more than ever before.

Today, I'm going to upgrade to the paid version of Duolingo, and I'm going to start watching twitch streams and other German content to build in more natural listening and fluency training.

This is one of the most fun things I've done recently. I love spending a few minutes learning and reviewing words and phrases each morning. Danke @MTF

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
Discipline > Motivation
I don't think they are mutually exclusive, and they actually complement each other almost perfectly. I can't imagine being able to work for several years on a project without sustaining very high levels of motivation, but I also can't see any success being created without a very disciplined structure and action plan.

What most people don't understand (in my opinion), is that motivation leads to action, but action also leads to motivation.

People who give up too early, which by all statistics is at least 95% of the population, are not necessarily lazy and hopeless, but they've failed to learn how to wield the sword of motivation.

Use discipline to follow the schedule and do the hard work, and motivation will come.

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Nov 21, 2016
I don't think they are mutually exclusive, and they actually complement each other almost perfectly. I can't imagine being able to work for several years on a project without sustaining very high levels of motivation, but I also can't see any success being created without a very disciplined structure and action plan.

What most people don't understand (in my opinion), is that motivation leads to action, but action also leads to motivation.

People who give up too early, which by all statistics is at least 95% of the population, are not necessarily lazy and hopeless, but they've failed to learn how to wield the sword of motivation.

Use discipline to follow the schedule and do the hard work, and motivation will come.
I agree that they complement each other, but there are going to be times when you need to get work done that you really don't feel like doing and that is where discipline outshines motivation. It's easy to do things you are motivated to do because, by definition, you want to do them.

Maybe a better way of putting it is that discipline can keep you going during periods of doubt until you are reinvigorated (your motivation is recharged). Relying only on motivation is sticking to a New Year's resolution in January; adding discipline (to complement when motivation is lacking) is sticking to it for the rest of the year.

I would say that they are mutually exclusive at precise points in time but overall I agree with your point that taking action even when you don't want to (discipline) can reignite passion or desire in what you're working on (motivation). Perhaps my original comment was too simplistic in an effort to keep it short. My stance on stuff that needs to get done is: if you're motivated to get it done; awesome, do it because you want to. If not, do it anyway.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Been on this for about a week. My German is definitely improving. I didn't expect the app would have so many different approaches to learning. For example, typing translations and listening tasks are really helpful.

I haven't had a need to speak German in nearly a decade and a half, but a lot is coming back to me, and I can understand and communicate more than ever before.

Today, I'm going to upgrade to the paid version of Duolingo, and I'm going to start watching twitch streams and other German content to build in more natural listening and fluency training.

This is one of the most fun things I've done recently. I love spending a few minutes learning and reviewing words and phrases each morning. Danke @MTF

That's awesome! I'm super glad to hear that. And that's exactly the right way to do it. Use Duolingo in downtime or when having a few minutes here and there and then do proper immersion when you have more time.

In the beginning I highly recommend watching easy YouTube animated videos with subtitles in your target language (not auto-generated ones as they aren't always accurate). For example, I found https://www.youtube.com/@BookboxFrench/videos for French.

I see they also have a German version: https://www.youtube.com/@BookboxGerman/videos

Once this is easy, I like watching animated TV series I watched as a kid like The Smurfs. From there, you can transition into proper "adult" stuff like TV shows, movies, regular YouTube programming, etc.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I can back up the app. I've used it in the past and it worked great and I quickly learn. In addition, there are teachers on Youtube with playlists beginning at the very simplest forms of communication. A few years back, I went through a Spanish playlist and was pretty fluent in basic language. I've been thinking about getting back into it simply because you can quickly learn and pick up a language.

A Spanish teacher from college told me the best way she learned was by immersion into the language and culture. She talked about going to meet up groups and even traveling and living in some of the countries for a few years. You pick it up way faster this way. You can even watch movies in a foreign language too to enhance your skill.

I will probably download the Duolingo app right now.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I can back up the app. I've used it in the past and it worked great and I quickly learn. In addition, there are teachers on Youtube with playlists beginning at the very simplest forms of communication. A few years back, I went through a Spanish playlist and was pretty fluent in basic language. I've been thinking about getting back into it simply because you can quickly learn and pick up a language.

A Spanish teacher from college told me the best way she learned was by immersion into the language and culture. She talked about going to meet up groups and even traveling and living in some of the countries for a few years. You pick it up way faster this way. You can even watch movies in a foreign language too to enhance your skill.

I will probably download the Duolingo app right now.
That's why I have a head start on German, I lived there for four years. I was terrible at communicating back then, but I learned to ask if others spoke English in German and used it everywhere. Thankfully, most Germans speak English because they learn it in school. Now that I'm older, I have a greater appreciation for their language. Haven't heard many people speaking in German in Utah though. :D

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
That's why I have a head start on German, I lived there for four years. I was terrible at communicating back then, but I learned to ask if others spoke English in German and used it everywhere. Thankfully, most Germans speak English because they learn it in school. Now that I'm older, I have a greater appreciation for their language. Haven't heard many people speaking in German in Utah though. :D
I'd love to learn Spanish, French, German, etc. But focusing on one is the better way to do it. I used to be somewhat fluent in Spanish just from listening to others, watching playlists on Youtube, and taking 2 semesters of Spanish in college. But I didn't use it and lost most of it. I still understand a good amount though.

The reason I choose Spanish is because, aside from English, it's the 2nd most frequently used language where I am living. I figure it would be an incentive to know it. Another thing, learning a language becomes easier if your native/1st language is similar to the one you're learning.

It is much harder for someone who speaks English to learn Chinese or Arabic simply because there are sounds in those languages we do not use. But it is far easier for someone who knows Spanish to learn something like Italian based on how similar they are. It's not to say you can't learn those harder languages, it's just the learning curve is much higher.

Some people will focus on a language family (like the romance languages). If you know Spanish, you can pick up French and Italian much easier, and vice versa. Probably one of the best things you can do when learning a language is learn the alphabet 1st. Get familiar with all the sounds. This will help with your speech and phrasing. Then learn basic grammar and how to form simple sentences. From there, it's just increasing your vocabulary.

Some people will go on Zoom calls with people around the world to practice their language speaking skills too. It's a great way to retain the language and enhance it.

BTW, I did download the Duolingo app again and started learning. It's pretty fun.

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
Duolingo wore me down over time. At some point the "you f*cked up" sound hit me so hard that I just could not take it anymore.
Tried to learn Russian and the Japanese symbols. Japanese was just way too hard. Learning it organically did not work at all.
Russian went okay for a while. Loved it during streaks where I made zero mistakes, but there were certain words that it just rejected when I tried to pronounce them. At some point there was not enough repetition. Hey, I have showed you this 4 days ago. You still remember it ... right?

Moved on to a paid course and saw all the important things that Duolingo didn't explain and teach there. Wouldn't rate it better than 2 out of 5.
Of course a huge part of this is how disfunctional I am. Most people probably have no issue with the "F*ck you" sound. I had to recover for half a day once it hit again.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I'm astonished by how fast I'm picking up the language with this app. My roommate ex-wife is both annoyed and wowed by how many sentences I can say and how I'm applying the language to everyday life. I think I could pass as a German to an American stranger. I must have added hundreds, if not thousands of words to my vocabulary. At this rate, and by combining multiple methods of learning, I should reach fluent competency in under a year.

Right now, I'm best at reading in German. I struggle a bit with listening because I have to think about what each word means. This makes it difficult to translate what I hear when the speaker speaks quickly. Duolingo seems aware of this and makes a point to have fast speakers and slow speakers with the option to go super slow for training purposes. I also struggle to come up with responses quickly for non-Duolingo communications.

I started reading German chat communications on Twitch, and also read a children's book in German. I'm not able to fully follow along with either, but I am able to interpret many more words than before. In addition, I'm reaching a point where I can get the gist of what others are talking about by interpreting key words like Essen for food and wetter for weather, etc. As my vocabulary grows, I should soon reach a point where I can keep up with a conversation even if I don't know what all of the words mean.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 4, 2019
I'm astonished by how fast I'm picking up the language with this app. My roommate ex-wife is both annoyed and wowed by how many sentences I can say and how I'm applying the language to everyday life. I think I could pass as a German to an American stranger. I must have added hundreds, if not thousands of words to my vocabulary. At this rate, and by combining multiple methods of learning, I should reach fluent competency in under a year.

Right now, I'm best at reading in German. I struggle a bit with listening because I have to think about what each word means. This makes it difficult to translate what I hear when the speaker speaks quickly. Duolingo seems aware of this and makes a point to have fast speakers and slow speakers with the option to go super slow for training purposes. I also struggle to come up with responses quickly for non-Duolingo communications.

I started reading German chat communications on Twitch, and also read a children's book in German. I'm not able to fully follow along with either, but I am able to interpret many more words than before. In addition, I'm reaching a point where I can get the gist of what others are talking about by interpreting key words like Essen for food and wetter for weather, etc. As my vocabulary grows, I should soon reach a point where I can keep up with a conversation even if I don't know what all of the words mean.

How much time are you spending a day studying?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
How much time are you spending a day studying?
Probably more than I should. I'd guess maybe 3 hours a day. I think it's super fun though. Doesn't feel like studying. I'll have less time after this week once things pick up after the holidays, but I think even an hour per day would be plenty. Even just a few minutes per day should increase your vocabulary a lot over the course of a few weeks.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 4, 2019
Probably more than I should. I'd guess maybe 3 hours a day. I think it's super fun though. Doesn't feel like studying. I'll have less time after this week once things pick up after the holidays, but I think even an hour per day would be plenty. Even just a few minutes per day should increase your vocabulary a lot over the course of a few weeks.
Wow, that's awesome. I'm probably at 5-10 min/day and I do have a pretty good vocabulary at this point. I find it a lot of fun too, but hard to find the extra time.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.