The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Having Major Self Doubt About Viability

Idea threads

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
If you don't know my story so far, you can read my progress thread here. Anyway, I have been feeling a bit down, but I'm trying to push through it. One major concern I have is the viability of this product I am creating. Even if I put all of this effort into it, will people actually buy? I believe it's a very practical and useful device that fills a need, but my family's opinion and my own self doubt is limiting me. My current plan is to file a provisional patent (I have anxiety about copycats) and then test this device in the market to see if I get a reaction. I'll use online ads to promote it. I also want to sell this on the device's own Shopify page, as well as Amazon and Meta/Instagram.

Anyone able to offer any practical or emotional advice?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I read through your thread... there's not much to go on...

I have no idea what you're doing, who you're targeting, if you've started promoting the product or anything.

I understand you're scared someone is going to steal your idea but... so far it looks like all you've got is an idea?

Have you sold anything yet?

starttoday123

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jan 7, 2022
USA
(I have anxiety about copycats)
This is really minor and I’m not even where you are myself yet, but for me for anything negative it’s been transformative to use the language “I’m working on overcoming” blank, I.e Im working on overcoming anxiety about copycats. Sounds like you are smart. Hang in there while you sort all of the unknowns out and don’t give up!

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
I read through your thread... there's not much to go on...

I have no idea what you're doing, who you're targeting, if you've started promoting the product or anything.

I understand you're scared someone is going to steal your idea but... so far it looks like all you've got is an idea?

Have you sold anything yet?
I've built the product and it works as intended but that's pretty much been it so far. I just want to make sure nobody can copy it before I start promoting/selling it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
I've built the product and it works as intended but that's pretty much been it so far. I just want to make sure nobody can copy it before I start promoting/selling it.
I would just file a provisional patent application and move ahead. It always possible someone will copy your idea, even with a published utility patent, but you can at least write "patent pending" once you submit the provisional application which would hopefully deter most people.

I did this with my own invention and I would reccomend Patent It Yourself by David Pressman if you want a really thorough guide. There is a ton of information but just read the section on provional applications, take a week to write it up and then go full force testing your product to see if people will buy it.

Keep in mind, once you file the provisional application you have 1 year to file the full patent application or the provional application becomes void I went through the whole process of filing the provional and regular application myself using the book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.