The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Rent Control

Anything related to investing, including crypto

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020
As my wife and I age, we are looking for places to put capital that will produce somewhat passive income. We are most familiar with real estate, however I have an awful and worrisome itch of a concern. I worry that something like the following could happen, and I wonder how one might protect against it?

We buy a condo in Anytown for $400k cash, and hope for a 5% annual ROI. Let's imagine we are renting the unit for $2k/mo. Let's also imagine that our living expenses are $2k/mo. All is well.

Then, local government goons decide to implement Rent Control. We are "allowed" to continue our lease at $2k/mo until the end of the lease term, however the awesome tenants and we agree that with inflation and the increased $100/mo HOA fee, that we need to raise rent to $2,150/mo. Oops, it dawns on us that we are not allowed to raise rent by $150/mo, and that instead government bureaucrats have crunched numbers and that an increase of only $27.48 is "fair" and "equitable." Oh well, my wife and I can eat cheaper food and get rid of our gym memberships.

Next year, free market rent should be $2,500/mo, and our personal expenses are now $2,600/mo. Damn it!

Ok, ok, I know the above "100% of eggs in one risky basket" is silly, but it is just an example to illustrate a concern. Some ways that I have contemplated a landlord might protect themselves against the tyranny of Rent Control include:
  1. Select a place where the political bias is more free-market, like small-town Idaho versus The Bay area.
  2. Base rent on something other than the USD, like some sort of index or precious metal or similar. (Rent is 1.2 otz AU/Mo.)
  3. Set rent ridiculously high, like $10k/mo in my example, and offer discounts via wink wink (discount this year is $8k /mo, next year $7,850/mo discount etc...
  4. Don't even do residential real estate, and instead do a REIT, storage units etc...
  5. ?
  6. ?
What else do you know? What would be a great #5 and #6?

Have any of you experienced rent control suddenly coming to your area? Was there any way for landlords to be grandfathered into being exempt? How?

What else should I be asking that I am not?

(The image is of the view from the deck of a rental condo we have in Fountain Hills, AZ, if any of y'all are headed out to stalk MJ, hit us up...lol)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• AAA_5940.JPG
    AAA_5940.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 5

gpetukhov

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 24, 2022
1) Cash for Keys for the Tenants - offer money to leave which allows to set the rent at a higher level
2) Don't invest in Democratic Cities - as those are currently the only places that practise rent control
3) You could invest in the suburbs of those cities that don't have rent control
4) Focus on short term rentals or triple net real estate instead

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
As my wife and I age, we are looking for places to put capital that will produce somewhat passive income. We are most familiar with real estate, however I have an awful and worrisome itch of a concern. I worry that something like the following could happen, and I wonder how one might protect against it?

We buy a condo in Anytown for $400k cash, and hope for a 5% annual ROI. Let's imagine we are renting the unit for $2k/mo. Let's also imagine that our living expenses are $2k/mo. All is well.

Then, local government goons decide to implement Rent Control. We are "allowed" to continue our lease at $2k/mo until the end of the lease term, however the awesome tenants and we agree that with inflation and the increased $100/mo HOA fee, that we need to raise rent to $2,150/mo. Oops, it dawns on us that we are not allowed to raise rent by $150/mo, and that instead government bureaucrats have crunched numbers and that an increase of only $27.48 is "fair" and "equitable." Oh well, my wife and I can eat cheaper food and get rid of our gym memberships.

Next year, free market rent should be $2,500/mo, and our personal expenses are now $2,600/mo. Damn it!

Ok, ok, I know the above "100% of eggs in one risky basket" is silly, but it is just an example to illustrate a concern. Some ways that I have contemplated a landlord might protect themselves against the tyranny of Rent Control include:
  1. Select a place where the political bias is more free-market, like small-town Idaho versus The Bay area.
  2. Base rent on something other than the USD, like some sort of index or precious metal or similar. (Rent is 1.2 otz AU/Mo.)
  3. Set rent ridiculously high, like $10k/mo in my example, and offer discounts via wink wink (discount this year is $8k /mo, next year $7,850/mo discount etc...
  4. Don't even do residential real estate, and instead do a REIT, storage units etc...
  5. ?
  6. ?

Have any of you experienced rent control suddenly coming to your area? Was there any way for landlords to be grandfathered into being exempt? How?

(The image is of the view from the deck of a rental condo we have in Fountain Hills, AZ, if any of y'all are headed out to stalk MJ, hit us up...lol)
Respectfully, this sounds like much ado about nothing.

Because you can sell at any point.

If you don't like the rumors about rent control, boom house on the market. You're out of there.

No need for you and your wife to tighten your belts...

Something to be aware of. Yes.
Something to try and mitigate. Yes.

But certainly not something that should be stopping you from executing on your plan.

Lastly, even if rent control comes to your city, it doesn't mean it comes to your property. So point #5, rent in more affluent neighborhoods. "Rent control" usually comes to poorer sections of a city.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
631%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I feel bad for landlords I don’t know who would put themselves through all that.

Cockblocked by government non stop, at risk of tenants trashing the place, marginal returns, getting calls about broken toilets, etc. combine that with shittier and shittier people and it’s a nightmare.

I wouldn’t want to do it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

5. ?
  6. ?

1. Rent control and ability to evict is a legitimate issue for landlords. Think red vs blue states. Go into “free market” areas that are unlikely to do that to you.

2. Why are you limited to a condo? Get an industrial unit and rent that out instead. Governments go after protecting “the little poor old grandma renter” don’t give two flying squirrels about a local bakery that is operated by a small business. And your maintenance headaches are lower too. Business tenants NNN lease take care of everything. NNN means you charge back your property taxes etc to them too.

Lastly, and this may be another unpopular opinion here… but there is no passive landlord income. There is nothing passive about being a landlord. Want passive, buy a REIT and wait on your coupon clipper.

(Danny)

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 24, 2023
1. Rent control and ability to evict is a legitimate issue for landlords. Think red vs blue states. Go into “free market” areas that are unlikely to do that to you.

2. Why are you limited to a condo? Get an industrial unit and rent that out instead. Governments go after protecting “the little poor old grandma renter” don’t give two flying squirrels about a local bakery that is operated by a small business. And your maintenance headaches are lower too. Business tenants NNN lease take care of everything. NNN means you charge back your property taxes etc to them too.

Lastly, and this may be another unpopular opinion here… but there is no passive landlord income. There is nothing passive about being a landlord. Want passive, buy a REIT and wait on your coupon clipper.
By buing Reit u make a landlord even richer,read books all expanation is there

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.