The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A cautionary tale on Instagram and the commandment of control

Marketing, social media, advertising

windchaser

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 24, 2017
Spain
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share something I am struggling with as a consequence of being too dependent on Instagram as a marketing channel so you can avoid making the same mistake.

My business partner and I run an ecommerce kids fashion brand selling mainly in Spain directly from our website. We launched at the end of 2019 and have been growing fast (with a brief hard stop during the lockdown months). Despite we have a lot of repeating customers and are growing a lot via referral from our customers, a very big chunk of new clients find us via Instagram (partly through microinfluencers and paid ads but mostly organically). Also, Instagram is the main way of communication with our public (with email marketing coming second).
We have tried other marketing channels but this has been the most effective by far so we kind of went all in ("marketingly" speaking) and that strategy was paying off... until recently.

During the last 4 months we have noticed the organic reach was decreasing, but the last 2 have been brutal, our posts and stories generally reach 4% of our followers (sometimes even less), and in best cases 20%. Considering we received around 30% of our sales via instagram organically (probably even more indirectly), you can imagine the effects...

We are exploring new channels more aggresively now and are even broadening our business model (we only sold B2C but we are starting to sell B2B as well and will open soon in physical thorugh a very well located niche shop in exchange for a % of the sales).

The thing is that this could have been avoided if we have diversified channels more and were open to new revenue streams within the business.

I was aware of our dependency on Insta and explored other channels (but not too hard i must admit), do not make the same mistake.

Also, I was a quite stubborn about not selling b2b as a business strategy. It is true we generally have stock issues to be able to serve demand, but it could have been solved if I really wanted to find a way. Now we are getting in touch with some stores who have showed interest in the past to sell our products (we receive plenty of queries actually, which should have made me reconsoder earlier!) and we are starting selling outside of our main market first and we will see from there.

Also, we are focusing further in email marketing and will increase budget in fb ads (we spend very little but we have very good ROI on those) and we are starting with with google ads. We also dipped our toes on tiktok with a result os zero views in most of our videos so either our public is not there or we are terrible at creating content users like. In any case we are leaving that for now.

We are also organizing popup sales with complementary brands more often (which bring good sales and are an excellent way to connect with our customers and receive direct and unvaluable feedback on our products). If the experiment of the physical store on comission goes well, we will look for similar alternatives in other strategic cities and, who knows, even consider opening our own store.

Any other ideas are welcome!

In conclusion: I just wanted twi share these two lessons I learnt the hard way, 1) Do not get blinded by good results and rely too much in a single channel outside of your control. Fortunately is just a channel (not the business model) and it can be solved, but it is being painful; and 2) don't be closed minded, don't discard potential opportunnities out of stubborness like I did.

I hope you find this helpful

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Reminds me of the time when my Facebook page (150K+) would be shown to 1000s of people. Now one post is lucky to be shown to 20 people. Building audiences on these platforms is much like dealing with the devil. You can build something impressive, only to have it taken away at a blink of the eye.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
637%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Reminds me of the time when my Facebook page (150K+) would be shown to 1000s of people. Now one post is lucky to be shown to 20 people. Building audiences on these platforms is much like dealing with the devil. You can build something impressive, only to have it taken away at a blink of the eye.
That is all true - but the fact remains that many eyes and majority of attention is still all around social media platforms. The best part of it all ? You can build a following, and grow your channels for relatively VERY low cost, outside of time and energy invested.

I know of several individuals using social media platforms, particularly Instagram - having a small but devoted following bringing in TONS of business in various facets through that channel (e-commerce, referrals, various asset sales etc). And it's only grown for them in recent years - so what you make of it and how you use to market is totally up to the individual.

Yes - it won't work as well as it did. And the obvious one is also locus of control. It's also def not for everyone and everything - but there's no escaping how many eyes are still all around those platforms, and not going away.

At worst - it's a start for many to have access to relatively quick, inexpensive marketing with a tool that's mostly found in everyone's pocket! If you are bootstrapping and need your first few sales or customers, this is still a good way to go.

Outside of having the control fully on your own site, forum, marketplace --- No matter the platform you use - whether you are the first on there or the last - the algorithms will keep changing always to serve the owners best #1. Some entrepreneurs make out like bandits while the going is hot - others try getting in later on when the 'gurus' are preaching how much they made there. Sometimes its a matter of knowing when to get in and get out - or best yet to shift strategies.

Throughout my fastlane journey - I have def identified opportunities, cashed in and moved on from marketplaces that were the trending place to be at the time. Think eBay, google ads, Amazon, certain social media platforms, etc. Others I have totally missed, and thats ok! I have made my bets through the years and you can't time them all.

And of course at the end of the day as we all know best - money flows where attention goes.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.