The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Relief for eBay and Amazon sellers

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Trump moves to pull out of global postal treaty in his latest move against China. This is the headline and this is the link to CNBC: Trump to make Chinese suppliers pay higher postal rates. where you can read the whole story about a move by the Trump administration that will make it more difficult for Chinese suppliers to compete with sellers in the USA.

For years people have been wondering how Chinese suppliers can sell products, delivered to the US at ridiculously low prices with freight included. The answer is, their postal costs are subsidized by US taxpayers. That may well be about to end.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It's about time but is it too late? I sold my eCommerce business before the bottom fell out of the market and the proliferation of cheap Chinese imports through eBay, Amazon and AliBaba completely wiped out our profits.

Makes no sense at all why a business from China pays less to ship an item almost 8000 miles than I would to send 20.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Ummm that article is almost a year old?

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 5, 2019
VA

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
This is absurd unless he's ending subsidies for everyone. Why should the chinese have to pay higher rates just because Americans can't keep up with them. This China bullshit is ridiculous. If the Chinese make better more value for cheaper prices... oh well. This kind of thinking is pretty much the same as Affirmative Action.

But then again, this is a guy who want's to get coal miners their jobs back. While were at it, why don't we bring back the horse and carriage since all the horse breeders lost their jobs.

Trump is an enemy to capitalism and value creation.

Thoughts @Kak?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Trump moves to pull out of global postal treaty in his latest move against China. This is the headline and this is the link to CNBC: Trump to make Chinese suppliers pay higher postal rates. where you can read the whole story about a move by the Trump administration that will make it more difficult for Chinese suppliers to compete with sellers in the USA.

For years people have been wondering how Chinese suppliers can sell products, delivered to the US at ridiculously low prices with freight included. The answer is, their postal costs are subsidized by US taxpayers. That may well be about to end.

Walter

When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

THIS is they type of negotiating tactic he should have been using all along. The thing to remember is that artificially adding cost rarely does a damn thing to help anyone on a macro level.

Although, I don't think USPS should be subsidized at all (or even exist) at least it is a step in the right direction.

My only issue is that it puts US companies on government life support. If I was still an Amazon seller I would enjoy it for what it is... Temporary.

Last edited:

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

THIS is they type of negotiating tactic he should have been using all along. The thing to remember is that artificially adding cost rarely does a damn thing to help anyone on a macro level.

Although, I don't think USPS should be subsidized at all (or even exist) at least it is a step in the right direction.

My only issue is that it puts US companies on government life support.
If he's just undoing previous subsidies that made it cheaper for Chinese suppliers to do business, then fine. That's fair enough. If they had an unfair advantage, and he's eliminating that unfair advantage, that's cool. But if he's giving them different treatment than other countries, that's not cool. Every country should pay the same rate.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If he's just undoing previous subsidies that made it cheaper for Chinese suppliers to do business, then fine. That's fair enough. If they had an unfair advantage, and he's eliminating that unfair advantage, that's cool. But if he's giving them different treatment than other countries, that's not cool. Every country should pay the same rate.

I would agree. I believe free and open trade is good for our country.

The evil "TRADE DEFICIT" means NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to our standard of living or wealth as a nation.

In fact, manufacturing jobs ARE DOWN since the "trade war." It backfired. China was a huge consumer of US automobiles.

Does anyone know if he has gotten anywhere with the intellectual property protections?

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Not a ton of news I can find since that article, these are two from this year.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
But then again, this is a guy who want's to get coal miners their jobs back. While were at it, why don't we bring back the horse and carriage since all the horse breeders lost their jobs.

Terrible comparison.

The "Coal is dead" rhetoric pushed by environmentalists couldn't be further from the truth.

Demand for coal is still very high in China, India, South Africa, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc.

China has been investing huge amounts of money into financing coal plants around the world through its OBOR initiative, including some in Europe.

The two biggest consumers China and India are increasing every year.

Last year China added more coal capacity to their grid than any individual US state has from all sources combined. India has had major issues developing their domestic coal programs due to infrastructure and legislative issues.

The US is in a great position to capitalize on these markets.

As someone from a country that is quite literally chopping off the hand that feeds us to appease UN environmentalist groups - I would strongly urge the US to not do the same.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.