The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Reddit r/WSB bankrupts Hedge Fund using Robinhood

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Robinhood just dug its own grave. R.I.P. Robinhood.

A massive boycott movement has begun.
Robinhood has been and always will be a horrible platform. They have proven it time and time again. I find it hilarious that people are just now starting to realize 'free' trades come with a cost.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Based upon this alone, this will not end well. This poor sucker will get burned... badly.

So one wrong deserves a 'right'? Let's assume Melvin did wrong and did manipulate the markets (which by the way is much harder to do when shorting since it's asymmetrical but let's forget that for a min).

So is the answer is that short-sellers shouldn't exist? Is this their solution?

If you think this you are deluding yourself. Short selling serves a very important purpose in price discovery.

This person's response is the 08 collapse was because of Wall Street... So therefore Wall Street must pay for its actions? Where was government and FED policy in any of this? What about individuals who overleverage themselves with loans? Not one single peep about those problems.

This is shortsighted at best, stupid at worse. Not understanding the larger picture of economics and how capitalism works... but hey this isn't a surprise with the demographic making these claims.

What they are doing then isn't itself market manipulation? This is the typical self-righteous bullshit that people use to justify their own wrong actions.

"I'm robbing a bank because the banks lie, cheat, and steal..." please!
GME is shorted 140%. Which is illegal. And criminal.

Nice pun on shortsighted though.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Never like investors and Wall Street and all these "(investment) bankers" and people working in investment stuff.
Hope they all go belly up. Stock trading and all it's siblings are a form of glorified gambling. It's just being done by people wearing suits and slicked-back hair smoking cigars. Honestly, the people who started all these in the past when it first originated are geniuses. Look at how complex the stock market is nowadays and all these hedge fund stuff. I mean, wtf even invented all these complexities? lol

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
GME is shorted 140%. Which is illegal. And criminal.
I never said it was legal, it's also hard to prove with the public info available to us who's the firm.

That's one legit function of government yet surprise failed miserably.

Yet retail trying to be judge, jury, and executioner. Good luck with how that will work out.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

It's amusing that a company with the name Robinhood sided with the rich against the little guy.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

Now every big-shot in the US are piling it on, calling out RH and co for their market crap.
Cuban, AOC, Shapiro, even Mia Khalifa, oh my!

On a more political paradigm, somehow this shit is reuniting everyone, left and right though lol...
Never like investors and Wall Street and all these "(investment) bankers" and people working in investment stuff.
Hope they all go belly up. Stock trading and all it's siblings are a form of glorified gambling. It's just being done by people wearing suits and slicked-back hair smoking cigars. Honestly, the people who started all these in the past when it first originated are geniuses. Look at how complex the stock market is nowadays and all these hedge fund stuff. I mean, wtf even invented all these complexities? lol
I know right?
In fact, options and derivatives were meant to be used as protections for commodities we need everyday like grain, oil and gas prices. And even to protect investments from the market storms

Now options are used as WMDs that don’t need a bomber jet to deliver them.

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
I never said it was legal, it's also hard to prove with the public info available to us who's the firm.

That's one legit function of government yet surprise failed miserably.

Yet retail trying to be judge, jury, and executioner. Good luck with how that will work out.
So let's take a step back.

What's happening now: Funds try to short companies to death. They fail, due to market plays by retail investors. As a fall back they're now using their connections / leverage to halt trading so that they can close out their positions.

So you'd prefer wall street to be the judge, jury and executioner?

I find it truly repulsive. Very eye opening though. Clear evidence (for those that we're doubting) that the media is completely biased and effectively just a propaganda machine for the overlords.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Funds try to short companies to death.

Which is 100% in their right (let's forget any illegal activity ATM) and no different on the flip side. What is stated by the Reddit member isn't investing but stating someone must be punished. Which also is 100% within one's rights but that's not investing. That's retribution. Good luck on that ending well.

They fail, due to market plays by retail investors. As a fall back they're now using their connections / leverage to halt trading so that they can close out their positions.

Robinhood was never for the small investor from their inception. If you or any other trader thought that then you didn't understand how Robinhood worked. They certainly weren't being altruistic in giving out trades for free.

They've been selling order information since go.

So you'd prefer wall street to be the judge, jury and executioner?

No, I expect to invest money in a company that makes sense with future growth prospects. Is GME a growth stock? Certainly not. The fact of the matter GME is a shitty company with a shitty business model. GME in normal times should fold. Though many are looking at GME as a company to 'save', which is bizarre. This is similar to the other companies as well.

I still expect GME to still go bankrupt, this just delayed the event.

GME certainly doesn't deserve to be at $132. Maybe at $10. You can decide to 'invest' in GME at this price but you are fooling yourself if you think you won't be left stuck holding the bag with the greater fool theory.

The markets are being manipulated no doubt and not surprised based upon many factors. The FED policy is certainly causing individuals to do a lot of stupid things. See this stupid couple:

View: https://twitter.com/Carnage4Life/status/1350876743788187649

My point is this will not end well. You are missing out on the larger picture.

Events like GME are a symptom of a larger issue.

I find it truly repulsive. Very eye opening though. Clear evidence (for those that we're doubting) that the media is completely biased and effectively just a propaganda machine for the overlords.

Welcome to the red pill.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The markets are being manipulated no doubt and no suprised based upon many factors. The FED policy is certainly causing individuals to do a lot of stupid things. See this stupid couple:

WTF. This has to be parody, right?

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Based upon this alone, this will not end well. This poor sucker will get burned... badly.

So one wrong deserves a 'right'? Let's assume Melvin did wrong and did manipulate the markets (which by the way is much harder to do when shorting since it's asymmetrical but let's forget that for a min).

So is the answer is that short-sellers shouldn't exist? Is this their solution?

If you think this you are deluding yourself. Short selling serves a very important purpose in price discovery.

This person's response is the 08 collapse was because of Wall Street... So therefore Wall Street must pay for its actions? Where was government and FED policy in any of this? What about individuals who overleverage themselves with loans? Not one single peep about those problems.

This is shortsighted at best, stupid at worse. Not understanding the larger picture of economics and how capitalism works... but hey this isn't a surprise with the demographic making these claims.

What they are doing then isn't itself market manipulation? This is the typical self-righteous bullshit that people use to justify their own wrong actions.

"I'm robbing a bank because the banks lie, cheat, and steal..." please!
Ok boomer. You're mad about reddit users "manipulating the market" but are so blind to the fact that this hedgefunds are also manipulating the markets and have been for decades through mainstream media. It's so obvious now. The fact the most popular stock exchanges are freezing the buying of the stocks talked on WSB should tell you how much they manipulate the market. Also all the headlines online are loaded trying to make it appear that what WSB is doing it's illegal. Boomers like you need to wtfu.

Last edited:

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Ok boomer. You're mad about reddit users "manipulating the market" but are so blind to the obvious fact that this hedgefunds are also manipulating the markets and have been for decades through mainstream media. It has become so obvious. The fact the most popular stock exchanges are freezing the buying of the stocks talked on WSB should tell you how much they manipulate the market. Also all the headlines online are loaded trying to make it appear that what WSB is doing it's illegal. Boomers like you need to wtfu.
LOL.

I have no horse in this race and you have no clue.

Love how Millenials tell me I'm a Boomer yet they haven't seen a market correction. Buckle up the ride will get bumpy ahead. There are just somethings you have to experience yourself.

Last edited:

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
LOL.

Love how Millenials tell me I'm a Boomer yet haven't seen a market correction. Buckle up the ride will get bumpy ahead. There are just somethings you have to experience yourself.
No one cares about market correction or making money anymore. Go to r/WSB and read their posts. This is about uncovering the collusion between the media, wall street and the brokers.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
No one cares about market correction or making money anymore. Go to r/WSB and read their posts. This is about uncovering the collusion between the media, wall street and the brokers.
Yup and this story never ends well... never. Good luck with that.

Yet you are on a forum about making money...interesting.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Robinhood is a joke, anyone who trades on it deserves to be the punchline.

As I wrote way back in 2009, when dumb money shows up, the end of the cycle is near.

And wow, dumb money is everywhere.

I'm with @lludwig -- these folks have no idea what they're doing and they think this is monopoly money. Worse, they think the market always goes up because that's all they've witnessed in their short 20 years of life.

HODL! The market always goes up! (Just like real estate!)

They might as well be juggling lit plasma torches.

It won't end well.

This is about uncovering the collusion between the media, wall street and the brokers.

I already thought the collusion was common knowledge.

If you poke the bear, don't expect the bear to go into hibernation.

AFMKelvin

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Robinhood is a joke, anyone who trades on it deserves to be the punchline.

As I wrote way back in 2009, when dumb money shows up, the end of the cycle is near.

And wow, dumb money is everywhere.

I'm with @lludwig -- these folks have no idea what they're doing and they think this is monopoly money. Worse, they think the market always goes up because that's all they've witnessed in their short 20 years of life.

HODL! The market always goes up! (Just like real estate!)

They might as well be juggling lit plasma torches.

It won't end well.

I already thought the collusion was common knowledge.

If you poke the bear, don't expect the bear to go into hibernation.
That knowledge is not as common as you think.wallstreetbets (1).pngScreenshot.png

Last edited:

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Which is 100% in their right (let's forget any illegal activity ATM) and no different on the flip side. What is stated by the Reddit member isn't investing but stating someone must be punished. Which also is 100% within one's rights but that's not investing. That's retribution. Good luck on that ending well.
The money flowing in now is momentum. No other than what happens when stocks go up. If you want to call it "dumb money" that's fine.. but call it the same when you're investing in stocks that are moving up as well.
The initial play from reddit was based on countering the illegal tactics used by wall street. They unearthed something that should never happen (i.e. naked shorts to the extreme) and came up with an intelligent play to counter this.
Robinhood was never for the small investor from their inception. If you or any other trader thought that then you didn't understand how Robinhood worked. They certainly weren't being altruistic in giving out trades for free.

They've been selling order information since go.
The world is not just the US. Robinhood is not popular outside of US.

No, I expect to invest money in a company that makes sense with future growth prospects. Is GME a growth stock? Certainly not. The fact of the matter GME is a shitty company with a shitty business model. GME in normal times should fold. Though many are looking at GME as a company to 'save', which is bizarre. This is similar to the other companies as well.
Again, these are companies that are being shorted to death.. 50-60% short spreads which is insane. Let's assume that there are no naked shorts in play here (Spoiler: there are). Are we saying that wall street can choose which companies go bust and which ones don't?

Can we just look at things objectively? I'm not picking sides with what has happened on Reddit. It just becomes very apparent that people in US have a very strong inclination to polarization. You either believe what I believe or you're an idiot.

Which is not a great way to look at life.

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012

1Za8j4o.jpg

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That knowledge is not as common as you think.

Then they aren't paying attention.

This is no different than the censorship issue, just powerful people trying to maintain control.

That said, it is bullshit.

It isn't fair to the small guys and it is infuriating.

But has it ever been fair?

You're witnessing powerful interests fighting back against those who have successfully organized an opposition party, except this is in finance.

This is no different than social media platforms removing people because they don't like their anti-establishment message.

Now the game has moved into finance.

Enjoy, reap what has been sowed.

This is not correct.

I don't understand.

Was this video supposed to provide me with some information I didn't already know?

There's a reason why I don't short stocks and why I insure my short calls.

I realize my 30 years of market experience doesn't measure up to the 2 year pros on WSB.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Are we saying that wall street can choose which companies go bust and which ones don't?

Just like the collective "we" who decide GME should create a short squeeze there is no "we" who works on Wall Street collectively shorting GME.

There are Wall Street firms who are on the other side of this trade as well. It's not one-sided you know and one group of people doing it. This is just silly thinking. "It's those evil profit-driven wall street firms destroying good businesses"

If the company is worth investing and is cheap with their stock price, you don't think others look at it as a great investment?

That's how markets work. So I don't get how some selective hedge funds shorting a company is nefarious by itself. This is what you are stating and many on the Reddit forums.

You are then not for shorting a stock correct? (again talking about legal method not naked shorts)

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Incoming class action suit. DISGUSTANG what RH did.

Not just RH, It's across the board.

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 11.27.43 AM.png
Tastyworks is also a platform for the retail investor.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
Not just RH, It's across the board.

View attachment 36542
Tastyworks is also a platform for the retail investor.
Suddenly, everyone learns about clearing houses and market makers.

Apex Clearing powers most of the US brokerage firms and one of the largest.

Here's a list on my old site. (disclaimer) I don't know how accurate it is today since I no longer own the blog.

Last edited:

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
Worse, they think the market always goes up because that's all they've witnessed in their short 20 years of life.
I was pointing out your fallacy. The initial inflow of funds was based on solid reasoning. To dismiss that as "stupid money" and "2 year WSB pros" is missing the point. Why should we always completely dismiss one side?

They don't think the "market is always going up". This is not the sub-prime bubble. Shorts are expiring, short sellers will need to buy shares, so the prize is being driven up by "2 years WSB pros".

Better of asking what these people will do once the short sellers have had to close their positions. They won't be able to sell their inflated shares anymore.

Just like the collective "we" who decide GME should create a short squeeze there is no "we" who works on Wall Street collectively shorting GME.

There are Wall Street firms who are on the other side of this trade as well. It's not one-sided you know and one group of people doing it. This is just silly thinking. "It's those evil profit-driven wall street firms destroying good businesses"

If the company is worth investing and is cheap with their stock price, you don't think others look at it as a great investment?

That's how markets work. So I don't get how some selective hedge funds shorting a company is nefarious by itself. This is what you are stating and many on the Reddit forums.

You are then not for shorting a stock correct? (again talking about legal method not naked shorts)
I agree with this. But if you're saying that people can invest when they spot a good deal, why doesn't this count for the people investing in GME? They're not investing in GME longterm. They're investing as the shorts are expiring, the sellers will have to come buying, and therefore will have to pay a premium.

Again, I'm all for a good discussion. Let's refrain from ad hominem attacks and other overgeneralizations.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I agree with this. But if you're saying that people can invest when they spot a good deal, why doesn't this count for the people investing in GME? They're not investing in GME longterm. They're investing as the shorts are expiring, the sellers will have to come buying, and therefore will have to pay a premium.

It's their money and they can do what they wish with it. Mr. Market will tell you if it's a dumb idea.

I'm referring to the idea of doing this not with the objective to make money but to pursue some other noble goal.

This is beyond asinine.

The idea to squeeze short-sellers with a flash mob is actually a great idea...on paper.

Though only a select few will do very well, most won't. There are many individuals following this herd and getting into the stocks. They will only get slaughtered. It certainly not for the faint of heart 'bro' trader who's using Robinhood to trade stocks while playing GTA on their Xbox.

"But hey we are out to stick it to the man!"

I believe @MJ DeMarco and I are stating it's subjectively dumb money. But who knows things can be different this time :)

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
I'm going to assume you don't call it "dumb money" when you make successful trades.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The initial inflow of funds was based on solid reasoning.

You say this as if this "reasoning" is some type of new found strategy.

"Buy heavily shorted stocks because a short squeeze covering is coming!" has been around for decades. What hasn't been around for decades, is the flash mob organization that can push that reasoning, beyond reason.

These events are primarily based on a mob mentality, with no reasoning other than some rocket emojis.

It's dumb money.

But even dumb money makes a killing every once in awhile, so yea, good for them.

I hope they escape the carnage that will likely follow. Better, I hope lives are changed for the few that rode the wave and cashed out at the right time.

I'm going to assume you don't call it "dumb money" when you make successful trades.

No, because I don't make trades by following a flash mob.

I have solid reasoning behind my trades, fully backtested with a proven mathematical history of success.

While past isn't a guarantee of the future, it is a pretty damn good indicator.

In other words, if I made a trade it is because the stock/option exists in a market condition (moving averages, W%, RSI, ADXs, and other technicals) that has repeated in the last 10 years, and in the last 10 years, it has been 92% successful.

That's how a trade ... purely mathematical, not because a bunch of anonymous Robinhood traders on a message board told me to.

maverick

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
"Buy heavily shorted stocks because a short squeeze covering is coming!" has been around for decades.
Check. So the first person to come up with the idea to short squeeze GME had solid reasoning. Like you said, the basic concept has been around for decades.

No, because I don't make trades by following a flash mob.
Check.
I have solid reasoning behind my trades, fully backtested with a proven mathematical history of success.
So let's say you share your reasoning behind your fully backtested, mathematically based trades with a group of people (a flashmob if you will) - at what point does the money become stupid?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.