The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Guys, anyone have experience being a vendor for a retailer?

Let's say you have a candy brand and Walmart reaches out to you. They place a small test order, you send it to them, and they like how sales went. So they send you a PO for 10,000 boxes. Now you're a small brand and most of your cash flow is tied up to your own e-commerce inventory. Also, your manufacturer takes a 30% deposit for orders.

Is it okay/proper business etiquette to ask Walmart for a 30-50% deposit of their total PO amount?

I guess using Walmart isn't a good idea as they're so big, but generally speaking, is this okay?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

It's real, but it means you have to have systems and processes in place that are good enough to replace the owner's direct, daily supervision.

Most smaller businesses don't have that... if they did, they would normally grow to the point where you wouldn't call them smaller businesses.

If you have this kind of business, you probably are not working somewhere full time. Unless it's to start your other business.

The more profitable (replacing 'bigger' with a slightly better measure) the business is, the more likely it is to not require full time attention from the owner (s). So it's not so much a matter of "how big can a business get" before the owner has to spend all their time there. A very small, unprofitable business usually requires more work from the owner than other businesses... this is why people burn out in the early phases when they haven't gotten the business standing on its own legs yet.

One blind corner is the "no exit success." Basically the owner makes good money, but they never externalize the business. As a result, they're stuck being the main worker there forever, or until they have a stroke or something. Before that happens, you need to find ways to make the business absentee-ownership compatible... then you can choose whether to actually work there, whether to let your kids work there, etc.

@Rabby this was an amazing answer, and I wish this were its own thread! Gold-level stuff

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
Homeless Canadians live better than most people in the world.

Depends on the province I suppose, we had some freeze to death in my province.

If I was ever homeless, I'd do whatever it takes to find a better environment or at least suitable shelter.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
This just in....

Coca-Cola is now Woka-Cola.

Political correctness and "wokeness" is a disease, soon-to-become a socio-cultural pandemic in America.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Depends on the province I suppose, we had some freeze to death in my province.

If I was ever homeless, I'd do whatever it takes to find a better environment or at least suitable shelter.

There was a man that died on the sidewalk here in Vancouver right outside tim hortons during a cold freeze, spooky feeling. Of course it's extremely sad and it puts things into perspective when you complain about little things.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Political correctness and "wokeness" is a disease, soon-to-become a socio-cultural pandemic in America.

It's not even political correctness at this point. It's become open war towards an ethnic group.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Man i really don't want to poke this bear but I just have to know: which ethnic group do you mean?

Because I have lately seen hate towards *every single* ethnic group - on TV, on the internet, etc.

It's a hard discussion to have as it is a sensitive topic. Here you go:

I was referring specifically to caucasian people, since my post was related to the 2 "woka cola" posts before that.

I agree with you! There is a lot of hate towards anyone at this point. And 99% of this hate is because of factors that 1) don't matter 2) can't be controlled.

If you don't belong with "us" you belong with "them". And "them" are terrible people. Trust "us", we know what's best for you. Ostracism is one hell of a weapon.

Who is benefitting from this extreme polarization of views? And why can't people see through this dumb war?

runnaboi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 25, 2020
Australia

Let's say you have a candy brand and Walmart reaches out to you. They place a small test order, you send it to them, and they like how sales went. So they send you a PO for 10,000 boxes. Now you're a small brand and most of your cash flow is tied up to your own e-commerce inventory. Also, your manufacturer takes a 30% deposit for orders.

Is it okay/proper business etiquette to ask Walmart for a 30-50% deposit of their total PO amount?

I guess using Walmart isn't a good idea as they're so big, but generally speaking, is this okay?
Have had a bit of experience with one of the big retailers (Walmart, Aldi, HEB etc) in the food market, and for our contract there was no way they were paying anything up front. Each case is different I guess, but generally speaking they are very difficult to deal with.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
YES MASTER. WE MUST STAY SAFE. ERRRRPPPPP DEEEEEEEEERPPPPPP!

@Kak

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...n-to-high-school-looks-in-central-washington/

G

Guest-5ty5s4

YES MASTER. WE MUST STAY SAFE. ERRRRPPPPP DEEEEEEEEERPPPPPP!

@Kak

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation...n-to-high-school-looks-in-central-washington/
I like how they included the photo of the tuba player in the tent that doesn’t fit, basically showcasing how incompetent they are at this!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
UK ending covid restrictions by june, good news! Hopefully everyone else will follow

Joelwilly23

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 25, 2021
I was reading a book about this topic a while ago by Elizabeth Gilbert. She describes how ideas are an energetic life-form looking for a human partner. If it thinks that you can do the job, it will pay you a visit. But, if it notices that you won't collaborate to the execution, it will find someone else. It will not wait for you forever.

Now I know that this is magical realism, but it always stuck with me in a way to remind me that if I don't take action, someone else will.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
UK ending covid restrictions by june, good news! Hopefully everyone else will follow

E-commerce sales and people spending to the moon!!!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I like how they included the photo of the tuba player in the tent that doesn’t fit, basically showcasing how incompetent they are at this!

"The world's first lab-grown jazz musicians play their first notes inside their incubation chambers."

D

Deleted78083

1) Avoid eye contact
2) If they persist, walk away faster and say no
3) If I see him again, I'll go the other way so he can't see me.
In Brussels they come directly to tap on shoulders and ask straight for money.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016

Have had a bit of experience with one of the big retailers (Walmart, Aldi, HEB etc) in the food market, and for our contract there was no way they were paying anything up front. Each case is different I guess, but generally speaking they are very difficult to deal with.

Doc, its rather "be prepared" kind of post.
I remember reading that for some products, especially those popular ones,
Walmart was real cold capitalists when it came to what they offered to pay.

There were stories of basically driving businesses, dependent on Walmart, out of existence by Walmart itself (b/c they requested lower prices every time).

Some of businesses stopped working with WM and just started shipping to Target to save themselves.

So, having backup plan would be nice to have.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Some quick points on enemies and friends:

Enemies: Some people just want to hurt you. Don't try to understand their motivation beyond what is useful for predicting their behavior. If you find yourself saying "I just can't understand why a person would do this to me", understand that you are wasting precious time & energy that should be focused on winning the fight. Honestly, I think that a lot of conflict aversion stems from the fact that most people can't picture themselves winning (or how F*cking good it feels to win a fight). And when you're in a fight, play to win and be prepared to crush the other side. There are no "take backs" when you wussy out on doing what you need to do to win; the other side won't be as stupid as you were to show mercy to someone who wouldn't appreciate it. Avoid fights as much as you can, but when you're in one, do whatever it takes to win.

Friends: As much as you can, treat people well and shrug off small slights. One of Julius Caesar's political strengths was that he went out of his way to make friends and forgive people. It is much easier to deal with curve balls when the right people like you.

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
Went for an early morning drive to run some errands.

Went to get a car wash and had to snap this pic. It led to deep thought. This "view" was a dream years ago. Driving on my own schedule was a dream years ago. Waking up when I want to was a dream years ago. Now it's all my reality. It's really crazy how this universe rewards those that have a burning desire to succeed.

Sorry for the short rant/brag but if someone that is going through something is reading this, just know that I'm no one special. I wasn't smart enough for med school. I wasn't satisfied with normal for a 9-5. I just wanted to succeed so freaking bad. Out of dozens of failed businesses, I have two that really pulled me up and they didn't come until AFTER many failed attempts.View attachment 36940
That's really inspiring, brother. I am glad you achieved your dream :)

Thanks for posting!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Dude retirement homes are terrible. My grandmas husband is in one and she found out they have not been doing anything at all to take care of him, and they have been putting him on triple sleeping medications every day. They’re just keeping him drugged up and in bed all the time!
The list of medications had 14 items on it and this place costs over $5000 per month.
When she visits, she changes his clothes, makes his bed, feeds him and helps him. She said they never do anything. He has Alzheimer’s. It appears they are taking advantage of them.

If you can start a half decent nursing home (chain), you’ll be a billionaire. These people SUCK

edit: OH and there is a year long WAITING LIST to get into this horrible place.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Dude retirement homes are terrible. My grandmas husband is in one and she found out they have not been doing anything at all to take care of him, and they have been putting him on triple sleeping medications every day. They’re just keeping him drugged up and in bed all the time!
The list of medications had 14 items on it and this place costs over $5000 per month.
When she visits, she changes his clothes, makes his bed, feeds him and helps him. She said they never do anything. He has Alzheimer’s. It appears they are taking advantage of them.

If you can start a half decent nursing home (chain), you’ll be a billionaire. These people SUCK

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owNO5s3eln4

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
It’s funny except that it’s not even satire
Nope it’s disgusting. My grandmother is mostly healthy but considered moving into assisted living this past fall, as it should have been easier for her.

She called an old friend of hers who she found out was living in the place she was looking at. Turned out that the staff was keeping everyone locked in their units “because COVID.” Assistance had gone to shit and they were essentially in prison. Not to mention these places milk whatever wealth a person has accumulated until there is nothing left.

Nursing homes are notoriously worse even pre-covid. I feel for your Grandma’s husband.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Went to get a car wash and had to snap this pic. It led to deep thought. This "view" was a dream years ago. Driving on my own schedule was a dream years ago. Waking up when I want to was a dream years ago. Now it's all my reality. It's really crazy how this universe rewards those that have a burning desire to succeed.

Sorry for the short rant/brag but if someone that is going through something is reading this, just know that I'm no one special. I wasn't smart enough for med school. I wasn't satisfied with normal for a 9-5. I just wanted to succeed so freaking bad. Out of dozens of failed businesses, I have two that really pulled me up and they didn't come until AFTER many failed attempts.View attachment 36940

Glad that things are going so well for you buddy!

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA

It ain’t bragging when you earned it. Sharing your success comes across as bragging only to those who are jealous and aren’t willing to do what you’ve done.

And I say F*ck ‘em.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.