The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
View attachment 48977

Is anyone still taking these people seriously?
Another illustration that no one knows where the market is going, even so-called experts, or more generally what is happening tomorrow.

By the way, she and Wall Street don't really care that much whether stocks are going up or down, above all they just need to keep you playing the game: Cathie Wood’s ARK Innovation ETF has lagged the Nasdaq since 2018—while collecting over $200 million in fees

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It seems to be the end of virtue signaling as a business model.

I don't follow the news and generally don't scroll through Twitter. What has changed? Based on some of the ads and commercials I've come across, the model seems to be as ubiquitous as ever.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
Build and got myself a new desk for my bedroom. I have my working room elsewhere, with a pc and everything, whereas my bedroom has no distractions at all and way more sunlight (!), so I'll be able to focus way more on reading, homework and thinking!

(for anybody interested, the desk is "Trotten" (bigger version) from Ikea. A hassle to build but big and plain white, which I like)

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I will be doing some traveling this summer. Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, maybe some others. My curiosity draws me to old temples and shrines, Shinto, Ruesi/Rishi, and perhaps paradoxically, sushi.

They have let us out of our cages, now go see the world.

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 28, 2022
My main takeaway:

In a way, you get what life has given you, and if what life has given you will not make you a billionaire, that's fine (and maybe it will!) but instead of focusing on what other people's unfair advantages are and how they're worth whatever they're worth, how about using the personal advantages you DO have in order to build the greatest business you possibly can?

Instead of going after businesses you do not have any insight in whatsoever, how about going after one where you DO have insight (where there is also a need)?

The book frames life as a deck of cards. They acknowledge the importance of hard work but moreso acknowledge that your life circumstances matter a lot too for what you will achieve in this life.

The reason Evan Spiegel was a billionaire by 24 is because of hard work.. AND because of a multitude of other advantages that he himself points his success at.

The unfair advantages they help you uncover are:

Money

Intelligence & Insight

Location & Luck

Education & Expertise

Status

And not only that, they tell you how to uncover ideas and how to efficiently bootstrap your company or get funding. They go over hypergrowth startups (startups that typically aren't profitable until $1Billion) and lifestyle businesses (a company like basecamp could be defined as a lifestyle business, even though it's worth many millions)

Overall, it's an absolutely outstanding book.

If you feel envy from others before reading the book, you won't after reading it, because you will realize that some things just are the way they are.

In the book they push the Reality-Growth mindset, which is a combination that takes you out of delusion but still encourages you to think big. By taking you out of delusion they mean focusing on variables and goals that you can control.

Saying you want to make 100 million dollars selling XYZ product is cool..

But do you have unfair advantages in XYZ that could get you the funding to grow that business to $100M?

Or realistically, do you have a unique insight in another area that maybe you can build a $20M business off of (maybe bootstrapped) that would be a better selection for you based on your unfair advantages?

It gets you thinking..

And if that hasn't convinced you enough - the book was recommended to me by @Antifragile
May I know who is the author of that book?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I will be doing some traveling this summer. Japan, Thailand, Cambodia, maybe some others. My curiosity draws me to old temples and shrines, Shinto, Ruesi/Rishi, and perhaps paradoxically, sushi.

They have let us out of our cages, now go see the world.

Have a awesome trip! You are gonna love Cambodia and all the temples in Siem Reap, spent six months in Cambo ten years ago before the Chinese mucked it all up.

Here a Japanese anti-lazy video I just watched, good stuff.

View: https://youtu.be/YpltT-pRdEo

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 28, 2022
"environment is everything!" -MJ DeMarco

It's easy to "jump at the pool" if you're in the right environment and become a byproduct of it.

What's hard is finding the right "environment"

Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
"environment is everything!" -MJ DeMarco

It's easy to "jump at the pool" if you're in the right environment and become a byproduct of it.

What's hard it finding the right "environment"

Start with getting the right environment...

...in your mind. ;)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My worst articles go viral, and the articles I work very hard on get read by 5 people.
I spend more time replying. When I find myself saying the same thing over and over I create a thread, and link to it going forward. That way threads should already fulfill a proven need.

Ahem, I wrote about it here:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Some web developer needs to help this site organize their products.

They make a bang up product, and are well known among golf cart owners, but their site is awful.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I was reading this book.

Not an easy read and most people will not resonate with it.
This entropy "argument" pops up all the time and is nonsense. At any point in a system, entropy can increase, aslong as the overall entropy of the system decreases.

The Earth interacts with the solar system (and even the universe), so aslong as entropy decreases in the solar system (or universe), it can increase on Earth (life evolving).

This book will explain thermodynamics properly.
Setting a goal doesn't mean the present is influenced by the future :rofl:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Some web developer needs to help this site organize their products.

They make a bang up product, and are well known among golf cart owners, but their site is awful.
It doesn’t even work on mobile wow

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It doesn’t even work on mobile wow
That’s funny.

They are a big deal in the golf cart world. Goes to show you a solid product and a good reputation clearly trumps website quality.

Still, this doesn’t help. They could be better very easily.

It’s a Shopify for crying out loud. Sort the products into categories and add a way to search by golf cart model they only make things for like the 4-5 most popular carts. It’s not that difficult.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
That’s funny.

They are a big deal in the golf cart world. Goes to show you a solid product and a good reputation clearly trumps website quality.

It’s a Shopify for crying out loud. Sort the products into categories and add a way to search by golf cart model they only make things for like the 4-5 most popular carts. It’s not that difficult.
I just emailed them offering to fix it, hopefully they didn't just get 50 other emails from the forum. Let's see what they say.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I just emailed them offering to fix it, hopefully they didn't just get 50 other emails from the forum. Let's see what they say.
Tell them they should send yours truly a free storm body kit for an EZGO TXT for noticing the inefficiencies. ;)

In all seriousness, I hope you land it, make some money off of it, and make it better.

rjdgreat

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 28, 2022
marketing is just playing with customer/clients worldview, is it not?

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
That’s funny.

Maybe the owners are the same age as the players of golf? You know, 85 years old and still use paper catalog to order their golf carts?

I know your profile says you are in your 30s Kak, but let’s face it … your posts say you are a young golfer, like 70 ;).

:rofl:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Maybe the owners are the same age as the players of golf? You know, 85 years old and still use paper catalog to order their golf carts?

I know your profile says you are in your 30s Kak, but let’s face it … your posts say you are a young golfer, like 70 ;).

:rofl:
At least I’m not a spandex wearing road blocker.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
At least I’m not a spandex wearing road blocker.

You have every right to be upset, I was just hydrating the weeds …
IMG_0158.jpeg

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Lately, I have been thinking more thoroughly about what attributes I’d look for in an acquisition target company.

Something like a disorganized mess of a website, like madjax above, fits that bill pretty well. They’re clearly leaving money on the table.

Everywhere else on the internet and in physical B&M dealerships they have to cut someone else in. Whether it be a retailer that only paid them a wholesale price, or Amazon, where seller fees are quite enormous and amount to a wholesale revenue for you anyway. Your own website is a place where you get to own the customer and make a full retail margin.

Almost instantaneous improvements like this can make acquisition entrepreneurship so much easier than a startup. They have a good following. A good reputation. A great dealer network. And a way to make it worth more than you pay for it right away.

For a company like this, I’d estimate the website improvement alone being worth mid six figures a year. How long does it take most people to build a mid six figure a year company?

Now, what is a retail multiple in todays market? 4x minimum? Probably more like 6x? Add $500k a year of earnings with a website overhaul and you have made $2-3 million in equity with a ~2 week long project.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
LOL - GoDaddy takes 60 euros for this nonsense service.
Screenshot 2023-05-29 at 15.45.26.png

Patryk.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Apr 21, 2022
Poland

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I don't follow the news and generally don't scroll through Twitter. What has changed? Based on some of the ads and commercials I've come across, the model seems to be as ubiquitous as ever.
I suspect that @Kak was referring to the negative impacts felt by businesses like Anheuser-Busch (Bud Light fiasco) and Target, who are facing huge blowback from their trans/Pride promotions.

morbius13

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Mar 24, 2023
I finally developed sufficient skills to earn some greater sums online, and that's where another problems come in. I'm underage and I have unverified PayPal account, so when they ask me for verification all my funds will be blocked.

My parents probably won't let me open an account in their name. Or even if they did, I need to withdraw funds from PayPal straight to my bank account, and I don't know if it's allowed to have a different name on PayPal and on bank acc to which funds are withdrawn (I can't withdraw to my parents bank due to law in my country).

I thought of creating custom checkout page on my website using Stripe, but here again, my parents won't allow me to use their ID and photos.

Do you guys know some alternatives? I'd appreciate any help.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My parents probably won't let me open an account in their name.

Can you simply explain that you want to get a job and need a way to get paid?

Parents are usually onboard with their teens getting jobs.

Frame it as a "job" and you'd like to get experience and earn money for some of the thing you enjoy, lessening their burdens.

Turn your parents into an ally, not an obstacle and an enemy.

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Aug 23, 2022
I made a wordle clone last year. Added a list containing a couple of thousand obscure words to make it harder. I made the game have a screamer that would pop up when you won, just like scary maze game and it sent it to my friends. They found it funny and I left it alone.

A couple of weeks later I removed the screamer and replaced it with a popup to allow you to play again and I shared it on reddit and product hunt. The posts got around 20 upvotes and I forgot about the website.

Just checked the websites analytics yesterday and its being played over 700 times a month. Kinda cool.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.