The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
"Did you ever consider how ridiculous it would be to try to cram on a farm—to forget to plant in the spring, play all summer and then cram in the fall to bring in the harvest? The farm is a natural system. The price must be paid and the process followed. You always reap what you sow; there is no shortcut." (Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
"Did you ever consider how ridiculous it would be to try to cram on a farm—to forget to plant in the spring, play all summer and then cram in the fall to bring in the harvest? The farm is a natural system. The price must be paid and the process followed. You always reap what you sow; there is no shortcut." (Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People)
I used a farm example recently. Farms make good examples. :rofl:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Love how they claim it's because of the Pandemic, as if it is a scientific fact, and then provide no evidence at all other than correlation. Folks, this is the largest news organization on the planet and they are utter failures at journalism. But yea, let's trust them to deliver fact-based news.

No, kids aren't failing in school because of the pandemic... it's because of short-attention spans and the ability to not focus, thanks to dopaphones and your friendly neighborhood social media company. Did anyone think having a smartphone glued to a teenager's face 15 hours a day wouldn't have ramifications?

But yea, pandemic...

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Love how they claim it's because of the Pandemic, as if it is a scientific fact, and then provide no evidence at all other than correlation. Folks, this is the largest news organization on the planet and they are utter failures at journalism. But yea, let's trust them to deliver fact-based news.

No, kids aren't failing in school because of the pandemic... it's because of short-attention spans and the ability to not focus, thanks to dopaminephones and your friendly neighborhood social media company. Did anyone think having a smartphone glued to a teenager's face 15 hours a day wouldn't have ramifications?

But yea, pandemic...
Agreed, but also, even if there is anything related to the pandemic with this, it's not the pandemic itself... It would be the government response to the pandemic.

I.e. - shutting down schools, locking down, keeping kids home, putting them in masks, distracting them from learning actual math, reading, writing, etc. for almost 2 years

In addition to the obvious cultural decline you laid out

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA

No, kids aren't failing in school because of the pandemic... it's because of short-attention spans and the ability to not focus, thanks to dopaminephones and your friendly neighborhood social media company. Did anyone think having a smartphone glued to a teenager's face 15 hours a day wouldn't have ramifications?

But yea, pandemic...
I am not the least bit surprised by the lower test scores (and the bad journalism).

I tutored ACT and SAT prep for high schoolers for a few years.

Many colleges have gone "test optional" (especially during/after the pandemic), meaning students don't even have to submit test scores to some colleges!

If the test isn't required (or the scores don't matter as much anymore), why study hard to prepare for them?

Instead, you can use the extra time to focus on essays (and other parts of the application that still matter).

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014

But yea, pandemic...
I wonder what their Tik Tok dance scores would be?

I totally agree. I see it with my Cousin's kids. They know how to hold a phone, yet have trouble holding a book or could care less about holding one. I just don't understand how you give a kid a phone for the majority of the day just so you don't need to take care of them or that they stay "quiet". Why on earth are your kids as young as 8 years old on Tik Tok dancing? Like what do we expect from them for the future? I think it's all downhill from here to be honest. Social Media and Hollywood is literal poison which is why I avoid both entirely and I'm 28 years old. "Well you're not cool enough!" Damn right I'm not cool enough. The guy making $25m/year is cool to me not you with your mini social media following of envious "friends".

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Agreed, but also, even if there is anything related to the pandemic with this, it's not the pandemic itself... It would be the government response to the pandemic.

I.e. - shutting down schools, locking down, keeping kids home, putting them in masks, distracting them from learning actual math, reading, writing, etc. for almost 2 years

In addition to the obvious cultural decline you laid out

I'll add that for young adults, social exposure (real world interactions, not social media crap) is important for growth. While we may agree or disagree about lockdowns, one thing is known: being removed from social circle made it harder mentally on our youth. This impacted their productivity (studying) and scores. There is probably a mental health dimension to this too that I (as a fully formed adult) cannot appreciate.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Does anyone else take 10 minutes to write a post or a reply to a thread and then just rage and delete the wall of text?

I think I have a problem. :rofl:

Nope.
Fe9k63gXkAMgO0W.jpeg

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
406%
Apr 16, 2019

But yea, pandemic...

I think that "mental health crisis" is the next big thing of this decade - and I think a lot of well-intentioned effort is being wasted by people missing several key considerations. I started studying this in August and connected several interesting dots together.

Take a look at this note the Surgeon General wrote at the end of last year. https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2021...sis-further-exposed-by-C0VlD-19-pandemic.html

One excerpt: "Additionally, from 2009 to 2019, the share of high school students who reported persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness increased by 40%, to more than 1 in 3 students. Suicidal behaviors among high school students also increased during the decade preceding COVID, with 19% seriously considering attempting suicide, a 36% increase from 2009 to 2019, and about 16% having made a suicide plan in the prior year, a 44% increase from 2009 to 2019."

And this is not even considering the effects of the lockdowns.

Why the problem grows in my opinion is largely because a lot of people are missing the mark about mental health by focusing on the biochemical properties of the brain and the nervous system, and largely ignoring that mental health is a symptom of illness, just as physical injury is a symptom of illness. If you recognize that mental and physical health are two sides of the same coin, then this arbitrary subdivison and the obsession with the brain becomes apparent as a focus that diverts from the solution.

Go look at the NIH's website for any of the "mental health" disorders and you'll see this up-front as the approach to treatment:

1665681536569.png

What's less discussed is that all forms of mental health have been studied to be directly linked to retardation of psychomotor functions. Moreover, the physical "shape" of psychomotor disturbance is the general pattern of anxiety in the body, ie flexion leaning to the front, head down, shoulders tight.

I think the missing link between the rise in "mental health crisis" is directly related to the use of the smart-phones, the use of which places our physical bodies in the direct shape of the general pattern of anxiety. Our autonomous nervous system inherits very few inborne traits, and the fear of falling and subsequent flexion pattern is one of them. The significance being that as we're in this physical shape, we also psychological reflect the emotions associated with that shape - fear and angst.

I think a lot of the mental health problems could be practically addressed if people considered the problem from this standpoint and put the phones away. Not only from the content and how that influences us, or how we habitually use it, but also from the standpoint that the shape we take as we use it brings about psychomotor retardation and subsequently symptoms of illness in the psyche.

Tagging Dr. @Lex DeVille to offer feedback on this hypothesis.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Curious, is there a pejorative word to describe someone like this?

No matter what you say, this person always has a snappy comeback, an opposing view to whatever you say.

And it doesn't matter WHAT YOU SAY.

You could say, "The sky is blue." and this a**hole would comeback and say, "well technically, it is black and the oxygen makes it appear blue."

I recently had to delete a dickhead like this from the Unscripted Text Network. . . I think in total I have probably made 60 posts in the network, and 60 times, he's had to bounce back with his contrarian viewpoint. Needless to say, I removed this dickhead from the group who became like an insufferable ankle-biting chihuahua, nipping at any comment I made.

Edgelord comes to mind to describe someone like this, but it doesn't seem to fit.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

No matter what you say, this person always has a snappy comeback, an opposing view to whatever you say.

You could say, "The sky is blue." and this a**hole would comeback and say, "well technically, it is black and the oxygen makes it appear blue."

I recently had to delete a dickhead like this from the Unscripted Text Network. . . I think in total I have probably made 60 posts in the network, and 60 times, he's had to bounce back with his contrarian viewpoint. Needless to say, I removed this dickhead from the group who became like an insufferable ankle-biting chihuahua, nipping at any comment I made.

Edgelord comes to mind to describe someone like this, but it doesn't seem to fit.

Smart-a$$?

fs.png

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This looks massive. Would you move it someplace, or do you actually own the land where it currently is too?

Just wondering what happens if you rent these out and someone goes sleepwalking.
I guess you have to move it somewhere. Some of them are over 100 feet tall. They come dismantled and the site says the guy can help you move it and reassemble it for an extra cost.

As for the sleepwalking, that's what liability waivers are for! :D

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I think that "mental health crisis" is the next big thing of this decade - and I think a lot of well-intentioned effort is being wasted by people missing several key considerations. I started studying this in August and connected several interesting dots together.

Take a look at this note the Surgeon General wrote at the end of last year. https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2021...sis-further-exposed-by-C0VlD-19-pandemic.html

One excerpt: "Additionally, from 2009 to 2019, the share of high school students who reported persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness increased by 40%, to more than 1 in 3 students. Suicidal behaviors among high school students also increased during the decade preceding COVID, with 19% seriously considering attempting suicide, a 36% increase from 2009 to 2019, and about 16% having made a suicide plan in the prior year, a 44% increase from 2009 to 2019."

And this is not even considering the effects of the lockdowns.

Why the problem grows in my opinion is largely because a lot of people are missing the mark about mental health by focusing on the biochemical properties of the brain and the nervous system, and largely ignoring that mental health is a symptom of illness, just as physical injury is a symptom of illness. If you recognize that mental and physical health are two sides of the same coin, then this arbitrary subdivison and the obsession with the brain becomes apparent as a focus that diverts from the solution.

Go look at the NIH's website for any of the "mental health" disorders and you'll see this up-front as the approach to treatment:

View attachment 45495

What's less discussed is that all forms of mental health have been studied to be directly linked to retardation of psychomotor functions. Moreover, the physical "shape" of psychomotor disturbance is the general pattern of anxiety in the body, ie flexion leaning to the front, head down, shoulders tight.

I think the missing link between the rise in "mental health crisis" is directly related to the use of the smart-phones, the use of which places our physical bodies in the direct shape of the general pattern of anxiety. Our autonomous nervous system inherits very few inborne traits, and the fear of falling and subsequent flexion pattern is one of them. The significance being that as we're in this physical shape, we also psychological reflect the emotions associated with that shape - fear and angst.

I think a lot of the mental health problems could be practically addressed if people considered the problem from this standpoint and put the phones away. Not only from the content and how that influences us, or how we habitually use it, but also from the standpoint that the shape we take as we use it brings about psychomotor retardation and subsequently symptoms of illness in the psyche.

Tagging Dr. @Lex DeVille to offer feedback on this hypothesis.

I've been of the opinion that depression is a symptom of other problems for some time. I would agree that a full-blown mental health crisis is on the way if it isn't already here. We may get nuked, so I wouldn't worry too far into the future haha.

It would be interesting to see studies on the relationship between phone shape/posture and anxiety or depression.

Body language experts have talked about the problems of phone posture for a long time. Usually, they describe it as a position of vulnerability that leaves you open to attack. To counter it, they teach a *chin up, shoulders back, chest forward, head on a swivel* approach. The military also teaches this. It creates a strong and confident posture and makes you more of a hard target.

To me, it makes a lot of sense that physical shape would be related to an increase in depression/anxiety.

By the way, I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on TV... No, that's not true either. :D

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I've been of the opinion that depression is a symptom of other problems for some time. I would agree that a full-blown mental health crisis is on the way if it isn't already here. We may get nuked, so I wouldn't worry too far into the future haha.

It would be interesting to see studies on the relationship between phone shape/posture and anxiety or depression.

Body language experts have talked about the problems of phone posture for a long time. Usually, they describe it as a position of vulnerability that leaves you open to attack. To counter it, they teach a *chin up, shoulders back, chest forward, head on a swivel* approach. The military also teaches this. It creates a strong and confident posture and makes you more of a hard target.

To me, it makes a lot of sense that physical shape would be related to an increase in depression/anxiety.

By the way, I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on TV... No, that's not true either. :D
That makes a lot of sense.

We had to draw “oppression” in one of my classes at school once, if you were to draw a sad person or oppression they would simply look like they are using a phone.

Power poses are the total opposite and have an instant effect on confidence so I really don’t see why sad poses wouldn’t do exactly the same.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia

How about Wanker or Gobshite. Both very popular terms with the Brits.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
562EFE4F-81D8-41B2-8390-A17D2F7D3794.jpegWhat do you do when stuck in traffic?

@Kak this was a great short from your leadership, especially the Steve Jobs vs Wozniak part about “musicians play the instruments and I play the orchestra”. Epic.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
For my own personal use, I’m downgrading external locus people to severe mental disorder.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Power poses are the total opposite and have an instant effect on confidence so I really don’t see why sad poses wouldn’t do exactly the same.
My dogs disagree with you. SERIOUS power in the sad pose...

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
View attachment 45509What do you do when stuck in traffic?

@Kak this was a great short from your leadership, especially the Steve Jobs vs Wozniak part about “musicians play the instruments and I play the orchestra”. Epic.

If I'm stuck in traffic (in my town of 7,000) all hell has probably broken loose.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014

Well done Equifax! I hope more crackdown on these sort of employees.

I visited a friend once. 9-5 corporate job. Well paid. WFH due to pandemic. Guess what he brags about? "I just leave an auto clicker on to show I'm active". Huh? They're putting food on your table and this is how you pay your dues? Then people complain about corporations being evil and how everyone deserves the same pay.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

I visited a friend once. 9-5 corporate job. Well paid. WFH due to pandemic. Guess what he brags about? "I just leave an auto clicker on to show I'm active". Huh? They're putting food on your table and this is how you pay your dues? Then people complain about corporations being evil and how everyone deserves the same pay.
F8CC4DB0-FCE7-4E44-A292-7910C753E7C2.jpeg

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Ooooh the overemployed thread would be so triggered by this but I don't think anyone from there checks this thread

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

@Antifragile
Wow! That was a wild read. That would legitimately make for a really entertaining movie. Do it in the style of "Wolf of Wall Street".

I really enjoyed this quote: "It didn’t hurt that Ms. Martusciello and Mr. Castañeda also resented the Venezuelan regime, which they considered corrupt".

The article then goes on to detail how the individuals who were defrauded were in fact corrupt. I am not saying that stealing from a thief makes it alright, but the wording is humourous.

Mr. GPM considers it to be wet outside. It is currently raining outside. Tune in later for more news!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018