The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Came across some interesting videos yesterday:

They're using some algo from Github to turn those old blurry videos into HD.
Feels kinda weird when you look at the people in these videos and most have already passed on.
There's also some videos on Paris and UK. The dresses worn by the women in the videos also look real good.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC

Feels kinda weird when you look at the people in these videos and most have already passed on.
There's also some videos on Paris and UK. The dresses worn by the women in the videos also look real good.

Everyone is wearing suits :O

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

That's some serious time machine shit ... well done.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Everyone is wearing suits :O
And all the guys are wearing straw hats in New York, and flat caps in England (even the kids!).

In the second video loads of kids are excited to be filmed. I bet they never imagined people would be talking about that film 120 years later.

Amazing time machine as MJ said.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I wonder if overall people were happier in those times, it seemed alot more simple. Now will all the social media distraction and all the BS, I'd guess now are more ''tougher'' times mentally.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I wonder if overall people were happier in those times, it seemed alot more simple. Now will all the social media distraction and all the BS, I'd guess now are more ''tougher'' times mentally.

Happiness is an unquantifiable abstract concept that I think people need to get away from.

It's mental weakness. Which comes from a lack of purpose.

People in developed countries have higher suicide rates. Again, because we're handed everything on a silver platter. We're not in danger of dying of starvation or natural disasters.

We're not responsible for our children's growth and development. The state and media does that now.

So what else is there besides manufactured chemical releases in our brains? Just like processed food, media is junk food for the mind.

G2TS-Man

Inventor / Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 13, 2016
Somewhere in FRANCE
When Henry Ford made cheap, reliable cars people said, 'Nah, what's wrong with a horse?' That was a huge bet he made, and it worked.

ELON MUSK

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
It bothers me that the guy in blue who says 'thanks for checking in' is the one who made the phone call. He is the one who did the checking in.
Yea but the thing that messes me up is that it's the exact commercial from the 90's except the Quarantine stuff:

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Yea but the thing that messes me up is that it's the exact commercial from the 90's except the Quarantine stuff:

That is pretty cool. And must be a trip for people who can remember the original!

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012

Could watch these videos for hours. Have seen the black and white England one before.
Some things I noticed in the england video;
At 1.08 a black guy walks past joking around with his white mate. Not too common a sighting I'd have thought in 1901.
At 1.58 a man with severe bow legs/ rickets walks down the street.
At 4.23 the old british "up yours" flick of the V at the camera. Love how he then turns to check if his superior has clocked him, who then gives him a stern look. The old reverse V used to be quite common in england even at school when I was a boy but no so much anymore.

Also makes me think how these victorian kids grew up in poverty, then went through ww1, then spannish flu, followed by the depression and then ww2. What a life.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
At 1.08 a black guy walks past joking around with his white mate. Not too common a sighting I'd have thought in 1901.

Tbh, that was my same thought and the thing that stood out most in the video. The black guy looks well-dressed though, so maybe he's someone of high standing, perhaps similar to his white friend in terms of social class.

My favorite part is at 0:34 in the NYC video above, where this guy with the briefcase keeps looking back smiling at the camera as the boat he's on approaches the harbour. Is he having a business meeting? Returning home after a trip? What sort of office job was he working as back in those days?

Also, the streets and roads in the NYC video seems to be extremely clean and impeccable though.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Do you think the hygiene, hand sanitizer, mask, etc market is declining or will we reach a new normal?

Keyword: "hand sanitizer"

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Does anyone else get a random loud 'dinggggg' when browsing the forum sometimes? Does anyone know what that's from?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thinking I should start a petition to rename NextDoor.com to Karens.com

Does anyone else get a random loud 'dinggggg' when browsing the forum sometimes? Does anyone know what that's from?

The main list on the forum home page DINGS when a new post is made, the list is now live, and infinite scrolling. Been that way for a few months. To deactivate the "DING" just hit the mute button on the list panel, it is on the top right, speaker icon.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The main list on the forum home page DINGS when a new post is made, the list is now live, and infinite scrolling. Been that way for a few months. To deactivate the "DING" just hit the mute button on the list panel, it is on the top right, speaker icon.

It doesn't work. Each time I check the forum on my phone I need to hit the mute button again. It doesn't remember my preference which is very annoying.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It doesn't work. Each time I check the forum on my phone I need to hit the mute button again. It doesn't remember my preference which is very annoying.

Actually that probably means your PHONE is not remembering the preference, not the forum. I don't control your phone or its settings. I've tested this on my phone (IOS) and it worked as described.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I've tested this on my phone (IOS) and it worked as described.

I have an Android phone with the latest version of Android. Maybe it only works on iOS but as far as I remember even on my Windows laptop it doesn't seem to remember the preference (I just checked it on my laptop and it was on again even though I muted it last time).

Can someone with Android say if it remembers their preference?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Can someone with Android say if it remembers their preference?

I have an android tablet and don't recall it being issue there either... but I'm open to being wrong.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Don't know how I feel about this...

IMO, his voice still needs to be on youtube, as that is where a lot of people go to for info (myself included) while they might not have Spotify.
Getting off of Youtube is good, to avoid any restrictions that might come down the road in the future (where youtube might censor him)
If they can keep his info on both systems, that would definitely be a win for everyone.
Adding his videos to Dtube would be a plus as well, to keep it decentralized.
Joe talks about controversial things, it's good to be wary of censorship.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Btw, anyone who watched that "pandemic" BS

You claim to be this non-partisan observer but the reality is, you aren't. You cant even see through your own bias and when you're being manipulated for narrative engineering.

First, a link to the NY Times might as well be link to Joe Biden's public relations firm, they're about as credible as a link to the DNC website, on the same extreme as a link to ZeroHedge or Infowars. Oh yea, and the NY Times says Joe Biden's not a serial sexual groper/assaulter (notwithstanding Ms. Reade) despite the hours of video evidence that cannot lie, you know, because of that big blue "D" he has next to his name. Funny how quickly the NYTimes memory-holed "me too" and "Believe all women" when it didn't fit their narrative engineering operation.

Second, your article provides NOTHING to prove the video is full of falsehoods, just how it spread like wildfire, especially after being banned by the overlords you trust so much ... just to pejoratively label and minimize those who believe it, or even to a lessor extent, watched it, as "conspiracy theorists" - be damned any citizen doubt the narrative put forth by the NY Times, Buzzfeed, and CNN.

And this is why I removed myself from the main CV19 thread in this forum. And refuse to go back.

But the NY Times said!
And Snopes!

Give me a F*cking break.

As for the "documentary" (emphasis on the quotes) -- I watched the Plandemic movie and it didn't really convince me of anything as I found it short on evidence. It also is a form of narrative engineering. It left me no better, no worse.

And a sound bite of Fauci saying there will be a health crisis is likely to be probabilistically true, like saying, "Well, Florida will have a devastating hurricane in the next few years." Duh, yea.

But ya know what?

Now that the NY Times and their partisan operatives, you included, have attacked it, it makes me more likely to believe the documentary's wild assertions.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You claim to be this non-partisan observer but the reality is, you aren't. You cant even see through your own bias and when you're being manipulated for narrative engineering.

First, a link to the NY Times might as well be link to Joe Biden's public relations firm, they're about as credible as a link to the DNC website, on the same extreme as a link to ZeroHedge or Infowars. Oh yea, and the NY Times says Joe Biden's not a serial sexual groper/assaulter (notwithstanding Ms. Reade) despite the hours of video evidence that cannot lie, you know, because of that big blue "D" he has next to his name. Funny how quickly the NYTimes memory-holed "me too" and "Believe all women" when it didn't fit their narrative engineering operation.

Second, your article provides NOTHING to prove the video is full of falsehoods, just how it spread like wildfire, especially after being banned by the overlords you trust so much ... just to pejoratively label and minimize those who believe it, or even to a lessor extent, watched it, as "conspiracy theorists" - be damned any citizen doubt the narrative put forth by the NY Times, Buzzfeed, and CNN.

And this is why I removed myself from the main CV19 thread in this forum. And refuse to go back.

But the NY Times said!
And Snopes!

Give me a F*cking break.

As for the "documentary" (emphasis on the quotes) -- I watched the Plandemic movie and it didn't really convince me of anything as I found it short on evidence. It also is a form of narrative engineering. It left me no better, no worse.

And a sound bite of Fauci saying there will be a health crisis is likely to be probabilistically true, like saying, "Well, Florida will have a devastating hurricane in the next few years." Duh, yea.

But ya know what?

Now that the NY Times and their partisan operatives, you included, have attacked it, it makes me more likely to believe the documentary's wild assertions.
I'm fully aware that the NY Times is left-wing propaganda, but their reporting is generally reliable. Bias doesn't necessarily mean full-of-shit.

I just liked the article and the way they explained it. Feel free to choose your source.

The documentary was nonsense, and this is one time the NYT is right.

IMO, his voice still needs to be on youtube, as that is where a lot of people go to for info (myself included) while they might not have Spotify.
Getting off of Youtube is good, to avoid any restrictions that might come down the road in the future (where youtube might censor him)
If they can keep his info on both systems, that would definitely be a win for everyone.
Adding his videos to Dtube would be a plus as well, to keep it decentralized.
Joe talks about controversial things, it's good to be wary of censorship.
It sounds like he's moving to spotify.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Btw, I'm not neutral nor claim to be. I just generally speak from the perspective of scientific consensus unless I feel there's good reason to do otherwise. The consensus is that the documentary is nonsense.

Everyone has biases. The trick is to try to eliminate as many as possible.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Btw, I'm not neutral nor claim to be. I just generally speak from the perspective of scientific consensus unless I feel there's good reason to do otherwise. The consensus is that the documentary is nonsense.

Everyone has biases. The trick is to try to eliminate as many as possible.

There was never a scientific consensus... To quote probably 90% of grandfathers... This has been like watching a bunch of monkeys trying to f*** a football.

Being devoid of biases doesn't mean you are right. That just means you democratized and crowdsourced your belief system. The funny thing is the arrogant subjectivist "intelligentsia" think they are universally correct with this type of belief system. The reality is that the middle is almost universally wrong about everything. The majority in Germany supported Hitler too. To be an unbiased German during the holocaust, you had to hold at least some of Hitler's views. Were the unbiased Germans right?

I am not going to do the math for you, but this "seeking to eliminate bias" that you say you do is not rooted in fact, it is rooted in idiosyncratic fluidity. This is an objectivist vs subjectivist argument.

In this argument, I am the exact opposite of you.

Almost none of my individual beliefs are moderate. I have chosen positions on everything from economics to individual liberties and criminal justice with full knowledge of the entire spectrum of beliefs on those topics. I was bold enough to pick a position based on my understandings. That just means I know what I believe and have reason for it.

The notion of being somehow enlightened because you have limited biases is a farce.

Last edited:

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Almost none of my individual beliefs are moderate.

To run with this quote, moderate opinions are often effectively non-opinions. If you try look at some heated political topic with 2 sides (I won't name one, there are plenty) you effectively have 2 groups ready to go after the other side with torches and pitchforks. If you try to take a moderate view between the 2, you are effectively just saying "I don't care about this topic." You aren't neutral, you simply have no opinion on it.

And that's the way it should be. Why bother having opinions on things that don't strongly matter to you?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.