The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
For any book discussion

roguehillbilly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 3, 2017
USA
I found a book called I TEACH YOU TO BE RICH.

Is that another Dave Ramsey replica or legitimate?

The Amazon book preview mentions some truth about diet: Discipline, no magic pill.

I've read it. I read it at 19 and bought a house at 21. Not that it made me rich, I just grew up very quickly. I found it really useful. It might be a 'slowlaner' book but being in the slowlane is better than the sidewalk. Where I'm from in the US, most people are sidewalking it up and financially illiterate. I think that the book presents concepts simply and helps make more people aware that you get what you negotiate -- not what you deserve.

Sure, the fastlane is ideal, but having a solid foundation and never having to worry about money too much gives you some free cash to throw at side businesses and ventures while you learn. That beats the hell out of having money tied up.

10/10 book, I disagree with most of the people in this thread.

ay47 said:
Look out for SmartPassiveIncome. His main schtick is niche web site building and affiliate marketing.

Pat has some really great stuff out there. His income reports are especially interesting: Income Reports Archive - The Smart Passive Income Blog

He has certainly learned to use leverage to his advantage and I think genuinely wants to share what he's learned.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NLRDesign

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 25, 2018
Saint Cloud, FL
Thanks for your review. Who's Pat Flynn?

Sorry, my thought was totally out of context. I am still fairly new to the forum, so I just figure everyone is more in the know than I am and in turn knows what I'm talking about - lesson learned. I was just surprised Pat and Ramit were connected because they are so different in what they teach and the way they speak about personal life.

Pat has some really great stuff out there. His income reports are especially interesting: Income Reports Archive - The Smart Passive Income Blog

He has certainly learned to use leverage to his advantage and I think genuinely wants to share what he's learned.

Yes, I really enjoy his Podcast, and actually learned about him after hearing his name many times on the Side Hustle Nation Podcast (which I also love). I just finished Pat's book, Will It Fly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CT90UQI/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 and found it very helpful as I have been trying narrow down my niche.

Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Look out for SmartPassiveIncome. His main schtick is niche web site building and affiliate marketing.

I just finished Pat's book, Will It Fly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CT90UQI/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 and found it very helpful as I have been trying narrow down my niche.

Thanks so much to all of you for the reviews and links about Pat!

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Ramit Sethi wasn't a millionaire before the book and his teachings didn't make him one...

But selling it did!

I've read a lot of guru stuff in the past and the best source for learning is the feedback gotten from continuously executing and applying Fastlane principles.

Slowlane material will screw your progress up.

howard0944

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2014
I found a book called I TEACH YOU TO BE RICH.

Is that another Dave Ramsey replica or legitimate?

The Amazon book preview mentions some truth about diet: Discipline, no magic pill.

The book is decent, not a replica of Dave Ramsey, I like his idea of automating your finances, and negotiating to get better prices for various expenses like cable TV, cell phone and credit card interest (if you have it) and saving up for expensive things like weddings and house down-payments. However its point is to get you into buying his super-expensive courses that are not as good as the info in Millionaire Fastlane or Unscripted .

Marian Diop

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 5, 2017
Oahu, Hawaii
I did Dave Ramsey's course a few years ago and it got my hubs and I out of debt which is fantastic. Then I started reading Ramit's blog and then book and I found both of them helpful (and yes, basic, like others have said). But a somewhat different point from Dave Ramsey. And then I found Millionare Fastlane/Unscripted and my mindset shifted again (in an even cooler way!!) I've found that different truths come across differently as your thinking grows and changes. Dave/Ramit will be great for some people and give them a good and "safe" quality of life. If you want to read it, I would always recommend the library because its free haha and you can breeze through a ton of books (or not even finish them if they suck). I 2nd reading the richest man in babylon book. I've also gotten a lot of value from Brian Buffini's podcasts.

Raitis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
268%
Mar 12, 2018
Lithuania
I'm not sure about the book, but Ramit has some stellar content on his blog in regard of sales pages, funnels and all that stuff. It's well structured and nails down the basics. Especially if you have some background.

Of course, remember that probably the main content is the content he sends you via email as those are all (or mostly) pitches for something and they're done well. It's hard to resist at times. Analyze those, put them into action for your product and business and you'll be better because of that.

barman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 14, 2018
The title of the book should have been "I Will Teach You Pretty Decent Financial Literacy" but it wouldn't have sold as many copies.

I read it a long time ago shortly after it came out. It's a great book for basic financial literacy. He wrote it when he was young and its targeted towards young people which separates it from most finance books written by grey haired white men. It should be required reading for the general populous as it will get you off the Sidewalk into the Slowlane.

It helps people that are bad with money become less bad with money: Getting out of debt, automatic saving, advantages of employer 401k matching, saving up before buying something instead of using credit, and so on. "Common sense" if you will.

I think everyone's mad at the OP because he's looking for a shortcut to get rich, which this book is not.

I get why a lot of Fastlaners would trash it, but for the average person its better to jump into the Fastlane from a literate, debt-free position than to not know what the F*ck you're doing with money. Let's be honest- mot everyone is going to get rich so there's no downside in knowing how to stay on your feet financially.

ApeRunner

Very Fast on a Bike
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
May 16, 2014
Cozumel
I read “I will teach you to be rich” and loved it! It teaches some great real life personal finance management skills, such as budgeting, saving, opening separate bank accounts, phone negotiation, and stuff you actually use in every day life. ultimately I saved $800/year through some of the negotiation tactics with credit card and other companies that he teaches. It’s much better than Dave Ramsay’s book which teaches mostly common sense and discipline. But it does NOT cover entrepreneurship or anything about wealth mindset. It doesn’t overlap at all with Millionaire Fast lane.

No. His book I teach you how to be rich is all about saving and investing. His book is totally different from the products he sells. His products teach how to build a business. I’ve never bought a course by him. They are all overpriced in my opinion like 2000 or more for each course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've read it. I read it at 19 and bought a house at 21. Not that it made me rich, I just grew up very quickly. I found it really useful. It might be a 'slowlaner' book but being in the slowlane is better than the sidewalk. Where I'm from in the US, most people are sidewalking it up and financially illiterate. I think that the book presents concepts simply and helps make more people aware that you get what you negotiate -- not what you deserve.

Sure, the fastlane is ideal, but having a solid foundation and never having to worry about money too much gives you some free cash to throw at side businesses and ventures while you learn. That beats the hell out of having money tied up.

10/10 book, I disagree with most of the people in this thread.

Thank you all of you for your inputs. I want to read it anyway.

Because I want to get better at financial literacy, I think this will be a good book for me. (thanks @roguehillbilly )

Last edited:

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
  • Does the book explicitly mention to find a job?
  • He has another book called "Your Move - The underdog's guide to building your business."

Paul Weese

Life is about living
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 19, 2014
Steamboat Springs, CO
I also read it and did a little more with his material. I found it useful for sure. It has wisdom that can enhance Fastlane process, especially when caring for excess capital on hand. As well, I don't stop reading books that may be helpful. On the Fastlane bookstore page, I've read half of the titles and am consistently looking for something for me to grow personally a professionally with. If I didn't read, I'd go stale.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
The title of the book should have been "I Will Teach You Pretty Decent Financial Literacy" but it wouldn't have sold as many copies.
:rofl:

Hahahaha! Check out his great book I've got on the coffee table. Pretty Decent Financial Literacy is in my future, baby!

G

Guest6814

I read Ramir Sethi’s book, and MJ DeMarco’s books. There’s a fundamental difference between them. Sethi’s book discusses 401(k) plans, getting out of debt, using credit cards to rack up points for free goodies, and similar ideas. They’re not bad ideas, and can work to build wealth over a long period of time. DeMarco, on the other hand, rejects the idea of getting wealthy via one’s job outright, in favor of entrepreneurship. Sethi has been criticized for hypocrisy; he didn’t actually use the methods in his book to get wealthy in the first place; in fact, he’s way too young for that to be true.

That said, Ramit Sethi does teach many courses on the specifics of entrepreneurship, and his different courses are tailored to different goals: getting a raise, starting a side business, starting and teaching an online course, social skills, time management, etc.

So, one may want to read and learn the principles of entrepreneurship from MJ DeMarco’s books, as I have, and then consider a course from Ramit Sethi as one way to get specific.

I would not recommend Ramit’s book if you’re interested in entrepreneurship as your primary income and you already know how to stay out of debt.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
I never read the book before so I can’t comment. There’s one book I always suggest to my friends and that’s “The Richest Man in Babylon.”

The Millionaire Fastlane + The Richest Man in Babylon literally changed my life. Without these books, I’d still be wandering in the world a clueless clown.
Richest man in Babylon, are you serious?

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
G

Guest6814

Because of the high reviews, I read/listened to this book a few months ago knowing nothing about this guy (I was surprised to find out he is good friends with and supported by Pat Flynn.) I will say that info was great for "slow-lane" wealth building. Also, if you listen to it on Audible he is a great speaker. HOWEVER, I did not care for the comparisons to "choosing between two hot blonde twins" and other such comments in literally every chapter. It was exhausting to me and made me feel like I was back in high school. It just sounded like he was marketing to young, single men (to put it nicely), and I'm sure he was, but it really put me off. Being that the quality of his content was great and it was clear and well read, I just don't understand the need for the continuous comments - I should have counted, but it was way more than one or two. Obviously, it didn't seem to effect his sales or his ratings, and clearly there are women that this didn't bother at all, but I ended up returning the book because I would not personally be able to listen to it again and I had honestly learned most of this information between a number of other books and blogs. If you disagree with me that is fine, I am definitely not looking to start a debate, but I think it is a lesson that perhaps your audience is wider than you realize, and it is worth considering that in any content you choose to put out there.

I actually took his course on salary negotiation. Was it helpful? Maybe; my employer already requires lists of accomplishments, etc. But I don’t think it hurt.

After a while, I was tired of Sethi’s repeated references to college and partying; I’ve grown up, and college is one part of my past - why live in the past?

At a former business coach’s recommendation, I subscribed to Sethi’s blog. Eventually, all of his emails looked the same: long, drawn-out sales pitches for his courses. So I unsubscribed.

I can understand how Sethi’s repeated “playboy” remarks can be very off-putting to women. Also, there’s a cocky tone to much of what he writes.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
Isn't it the cornerstone of the slowlane? Save 10% of your paycheck and live frugally. I read it a long time ago
Yes. You’re right. When I was young tho, I was stupid and blowing money. It helped change my thinking. Then I read TMF and that book helped me more. So that plus TRMB helps me with money to use for investments etc

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Yes. You’re right. When I was young tho, I was stupid and blowing money. It helped change my thinking. Then I read TMF and that book helped me more. So that plus TRMB helps me with money to use for investments etc
Fair enough man, didn't realise it helped you like that. For basic money management those books are good, but for wealth generation and fastlane not so much.

G

Guest6814

I’ll say one more thing about I Will Teach You To Be Rich and Ramit Sethi. He’s an interesting character who moved on to focus more on promoting entrepreneurship in recent years. His first book was published about nine years ago. Since then, besides doing courses and the like, he’s written another book, Your Move, about entrepreneurship. I haven’t read it, because I don’t think I need it.

Still, Sethi hasn’t stopped giving out slowlane advice, because he knows that plenty of people want it. So he still gives courses with names like “Dream Job” and “Earn 1K on the Side,” even while also teaching an online course called “Zero to Launch,” about how to make an online course.

So there’s a level of complexity to the guy. Some of his stuff can be fastlane, yet it’s easy to get enticed (or distracted) by his slowlane material, too.

I used to read his stuff, and did sometimes learn from it, but I’ve lost interest and stopped.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Read it. It's trash. It's like a slowlane swan song. Full of compound interest tables and "saving your income for 40 years" blather.

I was on his list for a really long time - without being as harsh as @Mr.Brandtastic to call it trash I do agree that it is the best book on making the most out of being in the SlowLane so it has some merit; just not for FastLaners! You can get a gist of what he does from his site (ironically he espouses SL strategies but is implementing a FL one himself exactly like MJ says in his bit about "Gurus"). Make of that what you will ;)

Varun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Feb 9, 2018
Well I understand that such books could be appealing, tempting even. I experience it myself.
That said, I think MJ's books are comprehensive, and there isn't much new to learn in terms of the principles of wealth. Your time might be better spent ensuring that you've really understood the concepts and have them in your head in a usable form (rather than forgetting like after cramming for an exam.) Alternatively, you can start supplementing PROCESS with new knowledge/skills relevant to your productocracy.
Indeed. Even I fall for this from time to time. I'm committing to referring to MJ's books again if I'm stuck, rather than trying to get new books. Sometimes, simplicity and basics work the best.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.