The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quitting my Investment Banking Job and Moving West

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
@GuitarManDan

Check out Grant Cardone's "Sell or be Sold". It changed my whole viewpoint on selling.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Can you offer them a drip fed course where they pay a small amount monthly instead?

Another tactic I've seen that has worked well (apparently) for online courses is Facebook PPC for a live interactive webinar signup. @JustKris sounds like he has some interesting webinar stuff going on.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Great progress. Keep up the good work!

1. What can I do to communicate the value better of the product? If they saw it as an item that they absolutely desired to have, they would find a way to make it work.

And you don't.

You don't want to create a product filling a need for a demographic that doesn't have money.

That'd be the equivalent of creating a hot tub for an elephant that makes the elephant extremely comfortable and relaxed. Yeah it fills a need, but an elephant isn't going to give you money. The business simply won't work. You're a lot better off creating hot tubs for fat humans that look like elephants and actually have money to give you.

You're not running a not-for-profit.

You're running a business.

In a business you target the individuals that a) Want your product; and b) Can afford it (whether that be with their own money, or convincing someone to get it for them [i.e. children using parents to buy them toys]).

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Great progress. Keep up the good work!

And you don't.

You don't want to create a product filling a need for a demographic that doesn't have money.

That'd be the equivalent of creating a hot tub for an elephant that makes the elephant extremely comfortable and relaxed. Yeah it fills a need, but an elephant isn't going to give you money. The business simply won't work. You're a lot better off creating hot tubs for fat humans that look like elephants and actually have money to give you.

You're not running a not-for-profit.

You're running a business.

In a business you target the individuals that a) Want your product; and b) Can afford it (whether that be with their own money, or convincing someone to get it for them [i.e. children using parents to buy them toys]).
This ^^
We have only started out doing surveys for our biz and are now completely changing who we are targeting and what the price is. Sure, there may be toooonnes more of the original target market demographic, but they can't afford shit and will be a huge hassle in quite a few ways (if they can't even afford us then they have no chance of using the service we provide effectively and most importantly legally). So we are upping the price, changing the content slightly and targeting a smaller but more profitable demographic. There is still plenty of free info that is going to be available to those that can't afford it though so hopefully it at least helps them make a more informed decision.

Last edited:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
We are only just starting out, writing the 2nd draft of the full length ebook which will be the video course outline. Second draft was needed after sending out a tonne of surveys through Google forms.

Still got a long way to go so any advice I have is really just theoretical on my behalf. I want to start a progress thread soon but don't have enough done yet.

We are looking at a free lite version of the ebook (covering biggest pain point but with table of contents showing whats available in the paid full ebook).

So the free ebook which we will first give away (in exchange for completing the 5 question survey) on forums and Facebook groups and see how it goes converting to paid version. Then look at Facebook PPC with either the free ebook or signup to webinar as the lead magnet.

I've heard of people putting the free versions of their ebook and course on udemy and Amazon as well. Not sure how they market it there but I have seen people talking about it a bit lately.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Some good fb groups that I learn a lot from:

Thinkific studio
Official kajabi user group
Clickfunnels (official) I know I know, but often has interesting stuff regarding courses
The teachable tribe

Found these much better than the groups not directly affiliated with a platform to be honest.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey Everyone,

Today was the day! Walked into my office this morning and handed my boss my two weeks resignation notice. I also sold my first video course to one of the guys I was offered to help out for free.

My boss genuinely didn't understand why I'd ever leave this "amazing" job. It felt incredible to be candid with him and just say I'm not happy here and instead of doing what everyone else does (complain but don't change anything) I'm taking steps in a positive direction to challenge myself and take the leap in entrepreneurship.

As someone who always followed the typical rules in life, it was definitely intimidating and nerve-wracking this morning, but I knew to trust my gut and stick with the plan that I've been thinking about for easily 6 months or so now.

More updates to come!

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
What part of Phoenix are you wanting to move to? What you will be looking at for rent is going to very quite a bit. Will you be living solo or with others, because that will be the biggest price difference factor.

I made the move myself to Tempe in August.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
What part of Phoenix are you wanting to move to? What you will be looking at for rent is going to very quite a bit. Will you be living solo or with others, because that will be the biggest price difference factor.

I made the move myself to Tempe in August.

Hey man,

I was looking at Scottsdale or Tempe/area kinda close-ish to ASU and the plan is to live solo. I'm used to ridiculous NYC prices, so it all seems so cheap. How do you like living in Tempe? Where did you live previously?

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 20, 2016
Westfield, IN
I moved from Indiana to Tempe in August, exactly in the area you want to move to. I live in a studio, solo, and it runs me about ~1100+/mo (rent+electricity+unitilites+wifi+insurance). I LOVE living in Tempe (by the lake). I'm going to ASU and love the sights and views. So much to do if you need to escape and get out.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Both students couldn't afford the $95 that I originally quoted, so I worked with them (charged 20 to one and 50 to the other).

Congrats, try getting a testimonial out of them and build from there.

How do you like living in Tempe?

Tempe is great if you're under 35. Great vibe, centrally located, you can't go wrong.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
to share another update, tomorrow is the last day at the slowlane job.

Congrats.

Slightly off topic, but the week I moved to Arizona and drove cross-country was one of the most exciting times in my life.

The drive was boring, but the excitement and anticipation of living somewhere sunny and having a fresh start was intoxicating.

Enjoy your excitement. Relish it. Anchor the feeling. Remember it. You're witnessing the awakening of the dream.

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Congrats.

Slightly off topic, but the week I moved to Arizona and drove cross-country was one of the most exciting times in my life.

The drive was boring, but the excitement and anticipation of living somewhere sunny and having a fresh start was intoxicating.

Enjoy your excitement. Relish it. Anchor the feeling. Remember it. You're witnessing the awakening of the dream.

I’m planning on making the cross country drive from NYC to Arizona as well.

It can get overwhelming at times, but I’m focusing on one thing at a time and really excited for what the future will bring. I’m making sure my main focuses are just helping guys in this industry I’m involved in and working smart/learning from challenges I run into.

On a side note, it’s absolutely freezing today in NYC, so sunny and warm weather sounds fantastic!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
The drive was boring,
Thats because you probably went through Oklahoma :D

Texas was amazing when I made my trip form NC to AZ for the first time back in 2012. Open road, dust devils, tumble weeds, and over 500 miles of open highway between San Antonio and El Paso, without any state troopers in sight the entire way!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Hey guys,

Had a pretty awesome first day of being free of the 9-5 slowlane life.

Previous paying clients (and free students I worked with to give value and just try to help) told me they are so happy with how much I overdelivered, they’ve been recommending my coaching and paid video course to their friends.

Also working on building out my Facebook group. I made a list today of 70 guys I’ve helped out in the past. I’m going to catch up with them on Facebook messenger and add them to the group. Some of them seem like promising leads for the $95 paid video series. The plan is to understand their needs and decide which tier product is right for them.

Will keep everyone posted!

In reference to our Skype call yesterday, one thing stands out in my mind.

You're not thinking big enough. THINK BIGGER.

You have the ability, and some can argue, the responsibility to think bigger and grow bigger, because you are in a great position to disrupt the entire industry with what you're doing. When you set your intent with that frame, and that large perspective, the sales you'll be getting are just a smaller part of the bigger picture.
  1. Think bigger.
  2. Cause shockwaves in the system (this will lead to mainstream PR and free marketing).
  3. Your goal is to get loud and disrupt the entire industry.

Last edited:

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
-

Last edited:

rajveer12

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Nov 3, 2017
Pune
I also ended my investment banking job from last 2 months. The work culture of this industry is so stressful also work pressure is so high that's why i quit that job

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
-

Attachments

• NYC-skyline.jpg
    NYC-skyline.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

GuitarManDan

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
678%
Feb 28, 2017
NYC
Hey everyone,

So I have a big update since I last posted on here. I decided to step away from the original business that I was pursuing when this post began.

I won't get into too many specifics, but I broke one of the key rules laid out in MJ's books - don't get into business into something that you are passionate about. It ruined my passion for this specific coaching segment I was working in.

So what have I been up to for the last few weeks?
-Decided to start a Web Design / Digital Marketing firm
-Created my own website using a lot of extremely helpful info from Fox's design course
-Decided to target financial planners / wealth managers as I have 5 years of reference experience in that industry and know how to handle those personalities
-Created a master tracker spreadsheet (been cold emailing approx 20 targeted business owners) with a total of around 120 businesses emailed so far.
-Trial and error improving my response rate with my emails, had 3 calls just today (most business owners have stated that they are happy with their website but need assistance with SEO aspects and Google AdWords/paid traffic).

Instead of turning away business, I readjusted and have been using udemy and other video tutorials to teach myself all I can learn about SEO / AdWords and paid marketing campaigns.

I'm going to send over proposals to a few different financial advisors I've spoken with to run their digital marketing for them.

Will keep everyone posted on what happens next. The main focus has been just trying to work smart, truly get to know the challenges these business owners are facing and if I would be a good fit to add value and help them out, and not get too far ahead of myself when I run into challenges.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.