The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Put Down The FN Donuts!" (A Journey of Getting Healthy)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Hope I can help another skinny dude who's out there struggling.

I've been 6'7", and 175 my entire adult life. I started weight training and rock climbing 2 years ago, and yeah, the confidence that comes from seeing a bicep for the first time is awesome.

It was just a switch being flipped in my head. For the longest time I just believed that I was a skinny guy who would never have muscle, to then questioning... why not?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Just contributing something to this thread about changing habits:

I've found that my habits don't change unless I somehow change the environment.

I haven't flossed in god knows how long. My gums are puffy and not doing so hot.

It's not that I don't want to floss... I just don't think about it when it's time to brush my teeth.

So I put a sticky note on my bathroom mirror that says "floss". I see the note like 10 times a day, and of course I've been remembering to do it.

Simple change to the environment. Powerful consequences from that change.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Hey man. With the scale, take the other measurements (BMI, BF, etc.) with a grain of salt. It's not accurate whatsoever. Use them as a baseline instead. As long as it's dropping, you're good. Make sure to take your weigh-ins in the same setting everyday. It's highly recommended you weigh yourself every morning after using the toilet/shower before eating/drinking anything.
@MoneyDoc

Thank you for this.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
@Tommo,

Thank you! I was a lot leaner back in the day but fell into some bad habits and became undisciplined. In the early 2000's my blood pressure was 110/60 - doctors would joke that I had no pulse! I plan to get back to that territory.

I will definitely keep you folks updated.
Me too but my blood pressure went the other way. I've been blessed with great metabolism and an exceptional recovery rate after exercise.I love the new avatar.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
It was important for me to realize that healthy choices don't need to be painful - it may just take being more deliberate about your meals.

Breakfast today is a western omelet using Egg Beaters with all the normal veggies plus turkey sausage. Went heavy on the veggies to get lots of volume without the calories. (And Cholula - love me some hot sauce)

I feel SO much better than a bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel. Just takes some time (and delayed gratification) to realize I'm full.

Keep it going @Raoul Duke and @Chitown!

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
What an awesome thread!

I just finished a big project that really crushed my health. I’m 34 and was totally focused on this reno that I lost focus on everything else. It’s true what they say about the 80/20 rule but with health it’s probably more like 90/10. I look at it as “what you put into your body, is what you get out of your body.” Eat a donut, look like a donut!

I started last week on my own little system that helps me stay on track and it’s called the F.H.B plan. Family, Health, and Business and I feel that these are the 3 most important aspects of my life that I care about and that I’m always looking to improve. It helps when I’m tempted to eat something I revert back to the FHB - it’s my own little thing. Maybe you guys can create your own thing that might help you stay on track also.

Anyway, I’m 34 and I put on about 20 pounds. My blood pressure is through the roof! We are all there and I’m sure you guys get it. This change change is tremendous and is very much needed! Next week I’m starting my first 3 day detox cleanse and I’m starting YOGA. I feel that yoga is the missing key. Forget the calories but it will improve your mental health. I also am on Peloton riding and am just about on my 10th ride. Goal is 150 rides this year which is about 3 rides a week.

Now, if I can just put down those f*ing donuts!

I’ll be following this thread...

Let’s do this.

D.Davis

Ingeninja
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 8, 2017
Texas
Hey Chi! I mentoined you and your weight loss goal in a progress confrence that Stefan, Daniel, and I had yesterday. Looks like you are well on your way! Way to go brother!

jovun1982

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 5, 2018
gulfport, ms
@MJ DeMarco,

LOL!!!

Here's one...true story...

Idris Elba was one of my chauffeured transportation clients for a couple of years. One night we're out in Malibu, because he was chilling out at Sean Penn's house. It had been a long day. I'm sitting in the SUV out front, it's dark as hell and I was hungry as a mickey-fickey. I called Idris to let him know I was going to grab what else? A burger from Jack in the Box. there's another true story related to that burger joint but I digress.

Idris said he'd speak with Sean about my eating what they had in the house. He hung up and 5 minutes later Sean Penn is at my driver side window, inviting me into his home. He apologizes for not having anymore chicken but says he has steak. Ribeye to be exact. He didn't have to ask me twice. I sat at his dining room table and enjoyed that steak. What a delicious meal, prepared by a gracious host.

True story.
Well, here we are three weeks removed from the end of the Meetup and I'm just getting around to responding to the gauntlet thrown down by @LightHouse during his brief address to the Summit attendees.

He gently admonished us to not treat the Meetup as a "tips, tactics and tricks" conference but, rather, as an informal, quality networking opportunity that should be exploited - and I mean that in the best sense of the word - to its fullest capacity. (As an aside, via a special guest appearance, @Vigilante, did the same)

He also encouraged us to start execution/progress threads based on our experience that wonderful weekend and, as a nod to my presentation, mine will concentrate on weight loss. Specifically, my own.

At 5'8, 223 lbs I am overweight. Things need to change - quickly - but, of course, won't happen overnight. That is why I have given myself a target date: December 10, 2018

My birthday. A day when the proverbial "suit" such days are known for should be in good working order and bedroom-ready.:smile2: My target weight is 170-175 lbs with bodyfat at 10%. I wanted to return to muy thai ( I studied a bit years ago but not long enough to call myself a practitioner, by any stretch) but my cardiologist ixnayed that choice. He said my bllod pressure was too high.

Walking was recommended. I sulked. "Walking? Boring-a$$ s--t! How about Power Yoga?" Yoga was allowed. Thank goodness. Walking is great but I prefer a really active exercise routine. Which brings me to yoga. Not the most active exercise. However, for any people, especially the fellas, who think yoga is a little soft for them?

Disavow yourself of that opinion swiftly. Yoga will kick your keister! And clear your mind, which I need if 2018 is the year I anticipate it to be.

I don't know which form this progress thread will take but I'd like share videos, pictures, recipes and whatever else you folks might find interesting.

And there is another very special reason I want to start this thread.

@Philip Marlowe approached me as hotel staff were breaking down our meeting room. He took to heart what I'd said during my presentation about my health and wanted to stress the importance of optimal fitness. I didn't know him outside of his posts on the forum but the fact that he felt compelled to speak with me about the issue was humbling.

And appreciated. 'Til the next post...:smile2:
Well, here we are three weeks removed from the end of the Meetup and I'm just getting around to responding to the gauntlet thrown down by @LightHouse during his brief address to the Summit attendees.

He gently admonished us to not treat the Meetup as a "tips, tactics and tricks" conference but, rather, as an informal, quality networking opportunity that should be exploited - and I mean that in the best sense of the word - to its fullest capacity. (As an aside, via a special guest appearance, @Vigilante, did the same)

He also encouraged us to start execution/progress threads based on our experience that wonderful weekend and, as a nod to my presentation, mine will concentrate on weight loss. Specifically, my own.

At 5'8, 223 lbs I am overweight. Things need to change - quickly - but, of course, won't happen overnight. That is why I have given myself a target date: December 10, 2018

My birthday. A day when the proverbial "suit" such days are known for should be in good working order and bedroom-ready.:smile2: My target weight is 170-175 lbs with bodyfat at 10%. I wanted to return to muy thai ( I studied a bit years ago but not long enough to call myself a practitioner, by any stretch) but my cardiologist ixnayed that choice. He said my bllod pressure was too high.

Walking was recommended. I sulked. "Walking? Boring-a$$ s--t! How about Power Yoga?" Yoga was allowed. Thank goodness. Walking is great but I prefer a really active exercise routine. Which brings me to yoga. Not the most active exercise. However, for any people, especially the fellas, who think yoga is a little soft for them?

Disavow yourself of that opinion swiftly. Yoga will kick your keister! And clear your mind, which I need if 2018 is the year I anticipate it to be.

I don't know which form this progress thread will take but I'd like share videos, pictures, recipes and whatever else you folks might find interesting.

@Philip Marlowe approached me as hotel staff were breaking down our meeting room. He took to heart what I'd said during my presentation about my health and wanted to stress the importance of optimal fitness. I didn't know him outside of his posts on the forum but the fact that he felt compelled to speak with me about the issue was humbling.

jovun1982

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 5, 2018
gulfport, ms
@Chitown I'm new to this forum thing. I don't know if it will help you, but it helped me tremendously. This program called Food Addicts Anonymous (foodaddicts.org) is a free and simple 12-step program based on the concepts of Alcoholic Anonymous . I tried everything (phentermine, clinics, exercise) but I would lose weight just to put it back on as soon as I stopped. With this program I was able to lose 100 lbs and keep it off for the most part. I now have peace around food and freedom from it to allow me to focus on important things such as family and adventure.

chimichangatime

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 1, 2018
sacramento, ca
The best thing for me was to find a diet I liked. And then I went down the keto rabbit hole and never came up because that's the diet for me. I get a lot of ne'er-do-wells telling me I'm clogging my arteries, but I think they swallow the kool-aid (or they're "scripted," to use the vernacular) because I've done the research and I believe low carb, real foods are the way to go.

Mostly, though, I like eating this way so it became a lifestyle for me. It has to become a way of life, not a "I'm doing it for the weight loss" diet, or you may not keep the weight off. Your old ways will creep back in.

If you start to work out, I'd recommend a body fat goal instead of a weight goal. Weight is mostly meaningless without context of body composition (unless you're 600 lbs).

This thread reminded me that I let life get in the way with irrational excuses and I slacked off on Stronglifts 5x5 the past 3 weeks. I'm back on it today. It works great, there are squats every workout so you don't end up with pencil legs like MJ describes in his book, and the app is great, too (the upgrade is worth it). And I look better than ALL of my wife's friends' husbands, which I like. Fit at 45 is easy if you do the damned work.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
What's the word @Chitown ?

Was about to crush a massive sandwich and chips after shoveling 18" of snow. Decided instead to put the chicken on a salad and crack open a seltzer.

Once I made is past that first little decision, I felt great. And isn't that what it's all about? Lots of little decisions adding-up to big progress?

Haven't weighed myself lately but I FEEL better.

-PM

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Sorry for the absence folks! Updates coming this evening.
Wz0AXfd.jpg

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
I think this will be a notable gold thread in terms of getting other fastlaners to realize the importance of adding yet another PROCESS/SYSTEM to their already busy and hectic lifestyle. I think chitown referred to having his sons as one of the main catalysts in not just embarking the fastlane but also taking care of his health. Realizing that life is short, but can be elongated and extended without hardship and burden and dependence on drugs (medications) if our mental headgame and discipline remain intact.

It is of the utmost because the health dictates your output and if your health isn't on point, then you can forget the rest...

Whether it be changing eating habits, muscle building or (in my case leaning and reducing muscle to achieve a certain goal) we can all benefit from one's journey.

Thanks @Chitown

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Im gonna try to pump up @Chitown here.

Starting Monday, I convinced my whole family to go on Intermittent Fasting and only drink water ( compared to their Mountain Dew ).

My kids want to lose 20 lbs each, I want to lose about 40 lbs, and my wife wants to lose some as well.

My whole family is onboard @Chitown , so you better come with the good updates.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Im gonna try to pump up @Chitown here.

Starting Monday, I convinced my whole family to go on Intermittent Fasting and only drink water ( compared to their Mountain Dew ).

My kids want to lose 20 lbs each, I want to lose about 40 lbs, and my wife wants to lose some as well.

My whole family is onboard @Chitown , so you better come with the good updates.
@eliquid,

This is great to hear! I wish you and you family many pounds dropped! I won't disappoint you. My before pic goes up tomorrow morning.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Here it is folks! 47 years old and 212 pounds. I look fifteen years older. Gotta go...gotta go!

You don't look out of shape at all. I see some great genetics and body tone underneath there, it's just buried under a little too much feel good eating... you got this!

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
^^^
What he said.

Plus, when you're feeling weak don't be afraid to pick up the f--ckin phone! You've got a big support system here. And we are all here to help coach you through it.

You've got this!

Brissy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 2, 2016
Good ones.

In the spirit of exchanging information and since I am studying Ayurveda, also
1) Excess loosing of semen is very bad for wellbeing and health- loosing Ojas
2) Watching violent TV, negative images, pumping music is bad in many levels, messes the hormonal system and causes many nervous issues
3) Mindfulness when having food, chewing well, peaceful environment(affects subtle body of food which in turn affects our subtle body) are crucial.
4) Do good Karma

The missing link in that book if if the nutrition is in the blood, why doesn't the cells absorb it?Clue cellular consciousness.

Namaste

Take it for what it's worth, but my highest recommendation for a health book is "Deep Nutrition" by Dr. Cate Shanahan. This is a deep read explaining why our ancestors were much healthier than we are now, how food is a language/set of instructions from our environment that are given to our DNA (in other words, we change our 'genetics' by how we eat) and how the rise of vegetable oils are literally killing us. It will change how you think of nutrition much like Unscripted changes how you think of, well, the Script.

Quick (unpersuasive) Summary:
Don't eat: (1) vegetable oils (canola, corn, soybean etc.) which is what's in most manufactured food/restaurants - its cheaper. (2) excess sugar

Do eat: (1)meat on the bone (2)sprouted/fermented foods (pickles, yogurt, ezekiel bread) (3) fresh food (local, pasture raised meat/milk etc.) (4)organ meat...yes liver, hearts, eyes etc. If you can't do it, eat your eggs with runny yolks - similar makeup.

Best of luck to you sir!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Good ones.

In the spirit of exchanging information and since I am studying Ayurveda, also
1) Excess loosing of semen is very bad for wellbeing and health- loosing Ojas
2) Watching violent TV, negative images, pumping music is bad in many levels, messes the hormonal system and causes many nervous issues
3) Mindfulness when having food, chewing well, peaceful environment(affects subtle body of food which in turn affects our subtle body) are crucial.
4) Do good Karma

The missing link in that book if if the nutrition is in the blood, why doesn't the cells absorb it?Clue cellular consciousness.

Namaste

@LightHouse see point #1

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
No worries, I just recirculate my ojas.
Can you clarify what you mean by 'recirculate'? Is this like autoflacio?

On second thought... nevermind. I don't want to know.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
Bro, you're already jacked AF; you could look like David in my profile pic once you cut down!

Seriously though, I'm excited to see the transformation.

Mukul

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 19, 2017
India

Hey! I am also a beginner in yoga. Glad to see that it has become so much popular worldwide. There are some dietary rules and techniques that you can implement for getting maximum benefit of yoga.
#1 Ayurveda/homeopathy/naturopathy :-It is developed by ancient sages and yogis that puts emphasis on treating diseases with the help of natural herbs. Since there are no artificial chemicals, they have very little to no side effects.
#2 Sattvic diet :- Traditional diet that yogis are recommended to follow. Also called as vegetarian diet, it includes PURE fruits and vegetables, nuts, PURE milk and grains etc. (Sattva means harmony and peace)
Tip #1 If possible, practice yoga fasted in early morning and in open area like parks etc.
Tip #2 Learn about breathing patterns in practice and you can also learn chants. They increase mental energy and focus.
Get more information on these by Internet,books etc.
*Since every individual is different. Please consult with your doctor before starting any diet or treatment.
Good luck :D

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.