The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Providing Value Really DOES Work... (A Short Story)

Anything related to matters of the mind

xy2_

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
335%
Mar 26, 2020
France
I wake up today and realize I forgot my laptop charger at my grandma's house. I power on the laptop, but it's dead! I can make it to her house in 5 min. with my bicycle.

But then I stop. Well, what do they need? She lives a 15-minute walk from the nearest bread store, and my uncle has to go get it. She had an extension cord that I borrowed a few days ago but didn't lend back. And her TV was having audio issues, with a delay between the images and the sound. (I made a quick fix yesterday, but didn't expect it to last.)

So before I go, when I go out to buy some baguettes (French bread) right next to where I live, I get some extra for her, the amount she usually needs. After looking for a bit I also find the extension cord and put both in a bag. Ready to go, I get my bicycle and ride on.

Spotting her in the courtyard, I spot her and ask how she's doing. I deliver the bread directly and give her the extension cord. Shocked, she thanks me for the bread and gives me back ten times what the bread costs.

After that, I ask about her TV. The fix I did yesterday didn't work and the issues came back today. The uncle steps in and says he knows. He powers off the tv, plugs in out and back in and it works. But I think that the problem will resurface. I try something else and factory reset the TV, spending 15 minutes going back through the setup, and it updates itself. I tell her that this might not work, and if it comes back just do like my uncle said and plug it out and back in.

Finally, I get my charger and tell her I forgot it. We chat a bit and I ride out, greeted by her and my uncle on the front porch. We chat happily and they wave away (which never happened before).

So what's my point?

I think that if I had approached it selfishly, came sneakily just to get what I wanted (the charger), and disregarding what she wanted, then I would likely not have gotten the same results at all. I know because in this exact same situation, just a few months ago, I did exactly that, and there were no friendly greetings, quick chats, or appreciation! It was all about what I wanted.

But by approaching it in the way that I put what others wanted first, and providing as much value as I could, not only did I feel better for helping others, but I got my own selfish desires in the end (and even got some money out of it!)

What if we put others ahead of ourselves? What if we forgot our own little world, and instead go help others get what they want?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I wake up today and realize I forgot my laptop charger at my grandma's house. I power on the laptop, but it's dead! I can make it to her house in 5 min. with my bicycle.

But then I stop. Well, what do they need? She lives a 15-minute walk from the nearest bread store, and my uncle has to go get it. She had an extension cord that I borrowed a few days ago but didn't lend back. And her TV was having audio issues, with a delay between the images and the sound. (I made a quick fix yesterday, but didn't expect it to last.)

So before I go, when I go out to buy some baguettes (French bread) right next to where I live, I get some extra for her, the amount she usually needs. After looking for a bit I also find the extension cord and put both in a bag. Ready to go, I get my bicycle and ride on.

Spotting her in the courtyard, I spot her and ask how she's doing. I deliver the bread directly and give her the extension cord. Shocked, she thanks me for the bread and gives me back ten times what the bread costs.

After that, I ask about her TV. The fix I did yesterday didn't work and the issues came back today. The uncle steps in and says he knows. He powers off the tv, plugs in out and back in and it works. But I think that the problem will resurface. I try something else and factory reset the TV, spending 15 minutes going back through the setup, and it updates itself. I tell her that this might not work, and if it comes back just do like my uncle said and plug it out and back in.

Finally, I get my charger and tell her I forgot it. We chat a bit and I ride out, greeted by her and my uncle on the front porch. We chat happily and they wave away (which never happened before).

So what's my point?

I think that if I had approached it selfishly, came sneakily just to get what I wanted (the charger), and disregarding what she wanted, then I would likely not have gotten the same results at all. I know because in this exact same situation, just a few months ago, I did exactly that, and there were no friendly greetings, quick chats, or appreciation! It was all about what I wanted.

But by approaching it in the way that I put what others wanted first, and providing as much value as I could, not only did I feel better for helping others, but I got my own selfish desires in the end (and even got some money out of it!)

What if we put others ahead of ourselves? What if we forgot our own little world, and instead go help others get what they want?

I like the awakening to a new life that your story represents. Congratulations!

If you can apply in business what you have learned about giving, it has great potential for you to do far better than you would have with your old mindset.

In my brief post here: GIVING VALUE REALLY WORKS I showed that for me the reward for giving was like yours - a great sense of satisfaction and achieving something worthwhile.

Never change back to your old ways.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!