The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PROGRESS THREAD (James F) Startup #3 - FEND Streetwear Clothing

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Very good job man. Speed+ for the dedicated progress you have made...

P.S. I really like the idea of including the little signed card encouraging people to send in a pic of themselves. Nice touch!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@eskil - thank you!
@1step - thanks... will def take some time and read that.
@jmitchell - just launched today so we shall see...

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
February 21, 2013 Update -
Launched today and did some pubbing on my Instagram.. here's a post I did last night on it.
b66c6e267c1011e2a1c022000a1fb718_7.jpg
d96985bc7c1011e2a56722000a1f9d88_7.jpg

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I decided I am not going to do another Kickstarter. After the fees and making/buying/sending the rewards; I would end up with 50% of the funded amount. With the funding at $1,000 and all the time it takes to prep, market, etc. etc. And if I am successful; I am not sure if $500 is worth all the trouble. For instance; I can take the same amount of time and market FEND directly to my target market and bring in $500 or more AND build the brand. I just think I have bigger fish to chase with much much better ROI.

Besides; I sold Freelancify and got some other extra income that I think I have 'kick starting' money for FEND.

One thing I learned again about myself (without even noticing) is that I never quit. Literally; I can fail and fail and fail at different things but I keep trucking on and finding a way to move on. In this case; I didn't have the money at first, needed Kickstarter, failed, found other ways to bring in money, and kept it moving. I hope this double-edged sword of a trait (maybe even some arrogance) eventually leads FEND to my success.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
For instance; I can take the same amount of time and market FEND directly to my target market and bring in $500 or more AND build the brand. I just think I have bigger fish to chase with much much better ROI.

James, don't let the secret out! Don't you know you have to market "around the bush" to get results?! Going after people who will most likely buy from you is so outdated and non-social! :)

And your confirmation of doing the right thing: How to Do What You Love

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I decided I am not going to do another Kickstarter. After the fees and making/buying/sending the rewards; I would end up with 50% of the funded amount. With the funding at $1,000 and all the time it takes to prep, market, etc. etc. And if I am successful; I am not sure if $500 is worth all the trouble. For instance; I can take the same amount of time and market FEND directly to my target market and bring in $500 or more AND build the brand. I just think I have bigger fish to chase with much much better ROI.

Besides; I sold Freelancify and got some other extra income that I think I have 'kick starting' money for FEND.

One thing I learned again about myself (without even noticing) is that I never quit. Literally;I can fail and fail and fail at different things but I keep trucking on and finding a way to move on. In this case; I didn't have the money at first, needed Kickstarter, failed, found other ways to bring in money, and kept it moving. I hope this double-edged sword of a trait (maybe even some arrogance) eventually leads FEND to my success.

185902_419250551450105_475087109_n.jpg

drover

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Mar 13, 2013
Good luck to you, i hope it works for you i see a lot of work.
but be careful, brands like "Comme Des Garcons" might have some problems with your designs.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@brander - lol.. thanks
@stu - nice...
@drover - thanks man. I agree; I changed the logo up a bit with a white cross instead of the Xd out eyes a few weeks ago.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
How's everything working out for you James? If you're still pushing I might be able to help you out with getting a few hip hop celebrities to wear your hats if you haven't already got some wearing it.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV

ManWithABeard

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Dec 28, 2010
Florida
good looks on the brand man. Also you're right, everyone and their momma is starting or has started their own clothing line, which is why I had to get out, market is just flooded. Most of my money started coming from designing for other brands, go fig LOL, I even designed some quite a few pieces for a local boutique owner, he sold pretty darn well. I don't do it anymore though.

Also, I've got the camo hat with the red alligator bill, but from another brand that's from my neck of the woods. I'll have to post a pic. One of my favorite hats and I usually get looks whenever I wear it.

You're grindin' man, keep up the good work. Also I like that hip hop site you built using Ruby on Rails, sites like that can definitely get the ad money/banner money.

Last edited:

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@AMan - thanks for the words! Do you have an email I can reach you at? I'd like to know more about your experiences...

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Any updates James?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Looks like he changed the name of his clothing line. See his sig.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@tafy Yes! Lots of updates... I'm real busy with the re-branding and the launching of that. I have almost all my chips in a row now so I'll be working on marketing soon..

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@TJPB LOL! FEND would of been an awesome name to use but it really handicapped designing cause it was so close to FENDI.. more on this later. BTW; I love your brand and the direction you're going with it.

@MJ DeMarco @biophase - Yup; I am still around. I'll check in and browse but haven't had much time to participate lately. I think I fell off from right around when you all launched the INSIDERS subscription... I am not sure what you mean by "cant see or update his post"?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Woops. I thought this thread was posted on the INSIDE. My mistake.

I am not sure what you mean by "cant see or update his post"?

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
@TJPB LOL! FEND would of been an awesome name to use but it really handicapped designing cause it was so close to FENDI.. more on this later. BTW; I love your brand and the direction you're going with it.

Yea..I get that.

Thanks for the props:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.