The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

[PROGRESS THREAD] - Getting Shit Done

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Just to hop in here real quick...

Goals should only be based on input.

Having a goal of "get x clients" is always a bad goal. Why? because it isn't inside your control whether the client/customer says yes. You can only control your input to get those clients, so focus solely on that.

It helps when you know your average conversion. In the future you will know that roughly 100 door knocks = 1 new client, you will be able to set your input relative to the desired outcome. So 200 doors knocked a day on average will get you 2 new clients etc.

Focusing on input helps you feel achieved and progressing which is necessary when you are on your own and deal with a lot of uncertainty.

Good luck!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Keep up the good work! As far as pricing goes you are underpricing yourself, your minimum should be at least $50 unless you have super small lawns and a bunch close together.

I know you're not quite hitting your goals but don't give up on the door knocking, you'll find some customers soon. Another free thing you should do is put an ad on Craigslist and some local Facebook groups.

Once you get some profit and learn how to make a website create your own website and consider running Google Local Service ads. This will rank you at the top on Google when people look for a landscaper nearby and will give you a verified badge that will increase trust.
You can also try voicemail drops and send voicemails to a ton of your neighbors in one click advertising your services.
See I live in a really populated city, most peoples yards are the size of someone’s bathroom. Roughly 100 sq ft which isn’t a lot, and the problem is, most lawn care services charge like 120.
Which is 1.2$ per sq ft where as the normal is about $0.03-$0.05 per sq ft.

For a 100 sq ft area I’ll charge like 20 bucks. They only take like 15 minutes anyway Yk, I might do a base price of 25 though.

And im going to do snow shovelling during the winter, where I will really bring in the “base price” factor. Maybe like base of 50 bucks for a drive way.
Just to hop in here real quick...

Goals should only be based on input.

Having a goal of "get x clients" is always a bad goal. Why? because it isn't inside your control whether the client/customer says yes. You can only control your input to get those clients, so focus solely on that.

It helps when you know your average conversion. In the future you will know that roughly 100 door knocks = 1 new client, you will be able to set your input relative to the desired outcome. So 200 doors knocked a day on average will get you 2 new clients etc.

Focusing on input helps you feel achieved and progressing which is necessary when you are on your own and deal with a lot of uncertainty.

Good luck!
Damn, you’re right, it really isn’t in my control, I can do 10000 doors, and not get a call back to or a client, it comes down to the people. Thank you for the tip, right now all I know is, on average, 75 doors will get me a call back. Just time to see how long for an actual client. Thank you for pointing that out. Thank you for taking your time to read my progress, I won’t let any one of you guys down:cool:

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Week 3 Day 1

Today was a nice day, worked a tad on business (small things), got back home so tomorrow I’m probably going to go d2d

Business
  • Knock on 75 doors (0 Doors just got home)
  • Get door hangers (Worked on Door Hangers, getting them ordered tomorrow, might arrive by next week)

Fitness
  • Go to the gym 3x a week (day 1 of 3)
  • Get good form (getting somewhere)
  • Running for 30 minutes everyday ( did none)
  • Stretch before lifting (didnt do, might replace with warm up)
  • Active for atleast 2 hours each day (made it blue because I did really good)

Sleep
  • Got 9 hours of sleep
Healthy Drinking/Eating
  • Have absolutely no sweets (had a small cookie as a treat)
  • Get my 110 g of protein
  • Drink 2 litres of water
  • Eating my 2200 Kcal a day (any good calorie tracking apps please, went off google searches so might be little off)
very happy with results today, to be honest, posting every day is a little tiring. I might move over to like every 2 or 3 days,

I’ll wrap the 3 or 2 days in that so let me know what you guys think, and is this format okay for everyone?

I think I like it more. Once again, any advice would be appreciated thank you everyone! Good night!

-John

Last edited:

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Mid-Day Update:

I wont be able to go d2d today, tomorrow until Monday (rather not disclose) hope everyone can respect that. Thank you

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Week 3 Day 2, 3, 4

Fitness

• 0/1 Days Working out (didn’t have time to check in)
  • Running for 30 minutes everyday ( did none)
  • Stretch before lifting, replacing with a warm up for tomorrow
  • Was active for a minimum of 2 hours for 2/3 days

Sleep
  • Slept 9 hours 2/3, got 7h 30m last night
Healthy Eating/Drinking Habits
  • Had No Sweets 2/3 Days
  • Had my 110g protein (3/3)
  • Drank my 2 litres of water (3/3)
  • Ate my 2200 kcals for the day (3/3
Some of you may be wondering where business went, Im taking it off for a little. Cooking up a surprise… Don’t know when it’ll come back, (can guarantee it will comeback by mid August). Anyways, Any tips would be appreciated, hope everyone has a great evening.

-John

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Week 3 Wrapped Up

Sorry for being delayed everyone, I forgot I was supposed to update yesterday.

Honestly, I might start doing Bi-Weekly updates. I need to focus on getting my product launched.

(if anyone knows of any food manufacturers, please pm me their contacts, thank you)

Anyways here’s week 3

Fitness Goals

• Go to the gym 3x a week (1/3 days) I was busy
  • Get good form (asked people at the gym, they all said I had good form)
  • Running for 30 minutes everyday (need to start being consistent) 0/6 days
  • Stretch before lifting (didn’t do) 0/1 times
  • Bench 65 lb (unknown)
  • Active for atleast 2 hours each day (3/7 days)
Sleeping Goals:
  • sleep 9 hours a day (6/7 days with good sleep)
Healthy Eating Goals:

• 2,200 kcal (idk how to track with fitness pal, if someone can send a video it would be nice, I assume I got my calories?)
  • Drink 2 litres of water (6/7 days)
  • Had no treats 5/7 days, pretty nice.

Honestly, this week was pretty nice. But now going to my new week goals,

Fitness Goals for Week 4:
Same as before, just replacing get good form with pushing myself. Replacing stretch with warm up.

Business goals are back! Goals for week 4:

• Get my product out there
  • File my business as a business
  • Learn to work Facebook and instagram ads
  • Talk to 1 store person asking if they want to stock our product on their shelves
  • Maybe get onto nextdoor
  • Get my Shopify store up and running
All other goals will be the same. Sorry for the delay. Any advice would be nice you guys. Thank you.

-John

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
UPDATE:

After this month wraps up, I will stop putting goals here but will still have goals, just in mental notes.

I will also stop doing 2 updates a week, I will either:

A. Bi-Weekly
B. Monthly

You guys can help me decide, But for the new layout, I’ll just tell you how things are going.

I don’t know if anyone will see this, just posting it as a heads up.

Nostalgia

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 21, 2023
Week 3 Wrapped Up

Sorry for being delayed everyone, I forgot I was supposed to update yesterday.

Honestly, I might start doing Bi-Weekly updates. I need to focus on getting my product launched.

(if anyone knows of any food manufacturers, please pm me their contacts, thank you)

Anyways here’s week 3

Fitness Goals

• Go to the gym 3x a week (1/3 days) I was busy
  • Get good form (asked people at the gym, they all said I had good form)
  • Running for 30 minutes everyday (need to start being consistent) 0/6 days
  • Stretch before lifting (didn’t do) 0/1 times
  • Bench 65 lb (unknown)
  • Active for atleast 2 hours each day (3/7 days)
Sleeping Goals:
  • sleep 9 hours a day (6/7 days with good sleep)
Healthy Eating Goals:

• 2,200 kcal (idk how to track with fitness pal, if someone can send a video it would be nice, I assume I got my calories?)
  • Drink 2 litres of water (6/7 days)
  • Had no treats 5/7 days, pretty nice.

Honestly, this week was pretty nice. But now going to my new week goals,

Fitness Goals for Week 4:
Same as before, just replacing get good form with pushing myself. Replacing stretch with warm up.

Business goals are back! Goals for week 4:

• Get my product out there
  • File my business as a business
  • Learn to work Facebook and instagram ads
  • Talk to 1 store person asking if they want to stock our product on their shelves
  • Maybe get onto nextdoor
  • Get my Shopify store up and running
All other goals will be the same. Sorry for the delay. Any advice would be nice you guys. Thank you.

-John
what are you struggling on with myfitnesspal?

you just need to search up the food and add it to your diary. I'm assuming you set up your account and stuff.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Month 1 Is Wrapped Up!

Well, this month has been a ride.

I would like to hear some more advice on starting an actual business at a young age (13)

Anyways, Here’s the progress from this week.

Started off with a lawn mowing business, didn’t get any clients, currently I am working on my big project.

I have asked a few people, they gave me some soft proof, (word) but I need to see if they are willing to follow through. (Wallet)

My goals for business aren’t doing as well as we had a busy week and ran into some issues, we still need to get our prototypes ordered.

For fitness, I got 6/9 days, a 66% consistency rate. IMO, thats good going from 0%. But not where I want to stop.

I did get good form, I also talked to a few people at the gym.

I managed to stay 1 hour everyday I went, so thats something I’m proud of myself about.

I didn’t stretch but did warm up before working out.

I benched 60 pounds but not 65 I wont let that goal down.

I was active for Id say 75% of the days.

I have improved my diet significantly, I want to get to like 80-90% healthy meals.

I have gotten my 110 g of protein everyday, probably got all my calories as well.

I got good sleep like 99% of the days. I don’t seem to have any problems with this might just remove it.

For Month 2 goals I want to get better physique, get 3/3 days a week working out, get my first prototypes, start selling and get my ads up.

Kind of different format but im still setting goals, but I’ll update how business is going.

Any advice would be nice, thank you.

Let’s do this guys.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
BUSINESS UPDATE:
Got my prototypes ordered. It’s going to take till the 11th of August for them to get here. I’ll set up my Shopify store once I get my prototypes.

Im going to start with the contacting part of my goals now. We asked like 4 more people what they think of our idea, they said that it’s really good and it’s going to sell. That’s now 10 people in total.

Im going to contact a bee keeper today or tomorrow asking if he can offer us a deal for bulks amount of honey.

We might think of a special way to put the honey into the drinks but don’t want to expose that just now.;)

We will also try to get into contact with a grocery shop.

Let’s do this guys!

Sega Saph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Dec 17, 2021
Russia
We asked like 4 more people what they think of our idea, they said that it’s really good and it’s going to sell. That’s now 10 people in total.
Look further in MJ's Unscripted book. He said: "Opinions are worth nothing. Only when wallets opens is a proof"
Be careful with it, buddy and listen less, but offer more... Value. Only best wishes to you, such exciting to see someone who started his path this age. It would be great to be in your shoes in 13th. =)
With best regards.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
FITNESS UPDATE:

I was able to get one of my friends to start coming to the gym with me.

Also a bump.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
This is my old progress thread, moving it over to here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.