The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Professional/trade associations...thoughts?

WildHoneyTree

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Sep 3, 2017
Planet Earth
OK...I hope this is the right place for this question.
I finished making some samples of my cosmetic product and got invited to be a part of a new trade association in this field (to be a founding member of this association). I jumped on it but I guess what I'm wondering is... Is this an action fake? Or is it a legit way to corner this market? Am I just setting myself up to drown in future bureaucracy instead of focusing on finding markets for my product?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

spraybottle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Mar 18, 2014
I would ask myself, "Will being a founding member of this trade association help me get these products sold?" Right now, you're just starting out so you don't have the luxury of waiting for 6 months before you see results. You need to get traction, and you need to get traction quickly to know this is a winner or not. Otherwise, you might find yourself 6 months down the line tied to a product where you realize it's not exactly a winner but you invested so much time and money into it that you don't want to give it up, which is the worst situation you could put yourself in. If I were you, as long as there was no commitment involved (or tell them you "just want to try it out"), I would see if it's going to work out for you. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, start branching out to ecommerce, amazon, etsy, facebook, instagram, wherever will get your product front of more eyes.

WildHoneyTree

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Sep 3, 2017
Planet Earth
I would ask myself, "Will being a founding member of this trade association help me get these products sold?" Right now, you're just starting out so you don't have the luxury of waiting for 6 months before you see results. You need to get traction, and you need to get traction quickly to know this is a winner or not. Otherwise, you might find yourself 6 months down the line tied to a product where you realize it's not exactly a winner but you invested so much time and money into it that you don't want to give it up, which is the worst situation you could put yourself in. If I were you, as long as there was no commitment involved (or tell them you "just want to try it out"), I would see if it's going to work out for you. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, start branching out to ecommerce, amazon, etsy, facebook, instagram, wherever will get your product front of more eyes.
Thanks for the response. It's just for the year and it seems like all the licensing, registration etc work is being done by other people. Simply joining seems enough for now. I hadn't yet looked into the e-commerce possibilities and have been selling physical samples to possible store fronts. I will look into that. Thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.