The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can professional trading be considered a fastlane business?

Can professional trading be considered a fastlane business?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Xav243

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Belgium
Hi all,

I am considering to give my actual trading a bit more of importance in my life.
I am not talking about FX trading, day trading based on technical analysis and other myths promoted by "gurus" but about what is used by professionals such as those working at JP Morgan, hedge funds etc. This involves a framework based on a macro view down to companies with earning growth, covered with a very strict risk management.
Since Jan 2021 I could grow my capital by 200% using options (calls & puts for those who does not know what options are) and I enjoyed a lot the process. I enjoy learning about different countries, how they are structured, if a country is more customer heavy, the monetary policy, fiscal policy of each, the relations between those countries etc.
My goal is first to create a good track record in 2-3 years. Then I will create a small hedge fund where I would propose to manage and grow capital on behalf of my customers.

I see trading as a C.E.N.T.S business because:

Control: Though I can't obviously control the market, I can control my risks through tight risk management and option strategies (bull call spread etc) that limit the downside.
Entry: I see it as medium-high because in order to get a chance of making money in this game there is a TON of information to process
Need: There is a clear need for people to make money and if I am able to provide that that would of great value to them.
Time: Once the trades are on, I don't have much else to but to monitor. Plus after a certain time I hope being able to hire some prop traders.
Scale: Very easily scalable.

But all of that is me learning fastlane. I might be missing something that red flags pro trading as not a fastlane business to pursue and better to keep it as a sideline. Hence I would greatly appreciate if some of you could take some of your time to indicate in this poll what your views are and comment below if you deem fit.

Thanks a lot!!

Xavier

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
Ah man... that's a tough one.

Maybe we should ask Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger or Ray Dalio.

Xav243

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Belgium
Ah man... that's a tough one.

Maybe we should ask Warren Buffett, Charlie Munger or Ray Dalio.
They indeed all have had great success but I am not sure how this answers my question...
Or maybe it is sarcasm and it did not come through

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

Trading 100% can be. Whether it will be or not is a different story.

Xav243

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Belgium
Thank you so much for linking this post! It has been a great enlightment. Irony is I though I was taking action by actively looking for a business that would qualify as fastlane. Now I am realizing that I was just fooling myself and procrastinating. As @peterb0yd said any business model can be fastlane provided the righs things are done.

Thanks again for putting me on the right track.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Hi all,

I am considering to give my actual trading a bit more of importance in my life.
I am not talking about FX trading, day trading based on technical analysis and other myths promoted by "gurus" but about what is used by professionals such as those working at JP Morgan, hedge funds etc. This involves a framework based on a macro view down to companies with earning growth, covered with a very strict risk management.
Since Jan 2021 I could grow my capital by 200% using options (calls & puts for those who does not know what options are) and I enjoyed a lot the process. I enjoy learning about different countries, how they are structured, if a country is more customer heavy, the monetary policy, fiscal policy of each, the relations between those countries etc.
My goal is first to create a good track record in 2-3 years. Then I will create a small hedge fund where I would propose to manage and grow capital on behalf of my customers.

I see trading as a C.E.N.T.S business because:

Control: Though I can't obviously control the market, I can control my risks through tight risk management and option strategies (bull call spread etc) that limit the downside.
Entry: I see it as medium-high because in order to get a chance of making money in this game there is a TON of information to process
Need: There is a clear need for people to make money and if I am able to provide that that would of great value to them.
Time: Once the trades are on, I don't have much else to but to monitor. Plus after a certain time I hope being able to hire some prop traders.
Scale: Very easily scalable.

But all of that is me learning fastlane. I might be missing something that red flags pro trading as not a fastlane business to pursue and better to keep it as a sideline. Hence I would greatly appreciate if some of you could take some of your time to indicate in this poll what your views are and comment below if you deem fit.

Thanks a lot!!

Xavier
In my opinion the need is horrible because you are not providing value to a customer in exchange for revenue.

It is a zero sum game where you develop skill and system to outsmart other traders.

Saying that “making money is a need” is a wrong categorization since it is just saying if you make money you will attract capital and investors to scale it, virtually true for all business.

Other the other hands providing service to traders I see it as a more legitimate form of “need”.

Xav243

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 6, 2020
Belgium
Saying that “making money is a need” is a wrong categorization since it is just saying if you make money you will attract capital and investors to scale it, virtually true for all business.

Thanks for your input Kevin.
It is what I mean indeed. The whole business (as the industry in its entirety) revolves around the ability of making money for others.
A large part of the population wants to be rich. That is a big need that I do not see going away in the distant future. In the financial markets a whole gigantic industry has been built upon to adress this need (see market exchanges, institutions, hedge funds but also brokers to enable access to markets for retail traders and also gurus to sell retail traders different tactics to make them hope being rich etc)

I see the need for investment funds more geared towards those who has already acquired some wealth and wants at least to preserve it and at best grow it. It is a win-win situation in the sense that the customers get profits every year and the funds get paid on a commission basis on the profits made.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.