The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Please give your thoughts on my site!

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I reinstalled my health forum this afternoon so please tear it apart. Likes, don't likes, wish it was/would like to see...., whatever!

After getting hacked and my backups were rendered unusable, I started from scratch today. It's not exactly as I had it before and I lost my references, so I'm looking for some criticism please. :thankyousign:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

traderjphx

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 30, 2007
Phoenix, Az
Re: Tear My Website Apart!

Great looking website, very clean and modern design. The only thing I would suggest is to make your stylesheet external. I looked at the source file and noticed your CSS was internal.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

Great looking website, very clean and modern design. The only thing I would suggest is to make your stylesheet external. I looked at the source file and noticed your CSS was internal.

Thanks! I'm curious as to why you suggest moving the css? Are you on dial up (I wouldn't think so with a name like traderphx, but had to ask lol)? I should explain my thinking....I always thought that the major benefit to using external css is to be sensitive to your users with slower connections. I.E... the text loading before the graphics or template or other weird quirks.

I'm not that well versed in programming just yet, so this could very well be something I don't know or have the wrong idea about. Thanks for the help!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

Looks good, a marketing experiments case study went over the header boxes at one time, they had mentioned that making it too big pushed your content down too far, you might want to shorten it so users can see the forum pieces right away, it took me a minute to realize what the site was about also.

one for programming the text in the second section header on the main page is spilling over the the sub forum headers

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

Looks good, a marketing experiments case study went over the header boxes at one time, they had mentioned that making it too big pushed your content down too far, you might want to shorten it so users can see the forum pieces right away, it took me a minute to realize what the site was about also.

one for programming the text in the second section header on the main page is spilling over the the sub forum headers

Thanks for the feedback!

Really, you weren't sure what it was about? I need to get on that right away! I thought the opening statement was adequate.

If you don't mind me asking, what would give you clear intent of the site...images, different opening header, etc.?

No clear intent above the fold? lol It took me a minute to "get" what you were saying, as I'm flipping back and forth between pages. :)

*Note*- Folks, this is a classic example of what assumptions get you when tweaking sites. I assumed that the page layout would be displayed as a standard, but this was a big mistake on my part. I simply forgot to test it out. It is absolutely necessary to go elsewhere to test your sites on computers and connections other than your own to truly understand the user experience. My biggest mistake here is not having a 4X3 monitor anymore. :smx4:

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

Hi there-

Ok, here's what I picked up on:

- You mention in your intro paragraph that if someone is a new user that they click on the FAQs in the link above. I don't see a FAQ link above.

- There is no introduction section of your forum. This is a great page for members to meet each other. ...just saw your Intro section; I would move it to the top of the page under the welcome area.

- The Life Improvements section overflows onto the forum heading.

- Have you considered adding posts about specific types of illnesses like Cancer, Fibromyalgia, etc?

Overall, it's very clean and the different sections are well-defined. ...How are you planning on marketing your forum?

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

Hi there-

Ok, here's what I picked up on:

- You mention in your intro paragraph that if someone is a new user that they click on the FAQs in the link above. I don't see a FAQ link above.

- There is no introduction section of your forum. This is a great page for members to meet each other. ...just saw your Intro section; I would move it to the top of the page under the welcome area.

- The Life Improvements section overflows onto the forum heading.

- Have you considered adding posts about specific types of illnesses like Cancer,
Fibromyalgia, etc?

Overall, it's very clean and the different sections are well-defined. ...How are you planning on marketing your forum?

Thanks Yves! I didn't even notice the FAQ, as I'm logged in all the time.

I see what you mean by the "community section" is at the bottom. My thoughts were to offer the most relevant content first. Typically people on a site like this are looking for help, which falls under the first few topics. I do see your point though....Or do I?

Are you suggesting the entire community section be at the top, or just the welcome center up to the welcome FAQ area?

I am going to be adding posts about specific illnesses and such. I am trying to decide the best way to present them, as my personal philosophies, articles, and opinions might be a bit harsh or 'against the grain' for some.

The main reason I'm torn with doing this is the whole point of hidden healing is to educate on the precursors of declining health and that health starts with a choice, among many other things discussed in my book. Establishing posts that reinforce the recognized and treatment of symptoms (cancer and other various diseases) isn't the aim, but inevitable nonetheless.

I was thinking of letting the users provide those types of threads and I will apply the correct ideologies afterward. I understand int he beginning this isn't going to work and I need to generate the content. And content that is appealing through current viewpoints (traditional medicine: treat symptoms, remove malicious tissue, etc..)

Ideas?

My marketing plan is very minimal until I get a better handle on my book completion date. This may or may not be a good thing, so I might switch gears into a paid marketing plan if need be.

As of right now, my marketing will consist of word or mouth, a few health practitioners that are friends of mine (although they are Leary of posting their specified practices they specialize in - not sure whether legal, quack watch, or what, didn't ask as of yet). I do plan on doing series of video marketing on common how-to's, practices, and disciplines that do everyday...shouldn't be anything viral just yet. Maybe some article marketing. I have an on deck list that I can pull from as well, but would prefer not to.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

I should be asking other questions as well. What would entice you to a place like this in the health industry?

I know the vague answers, but I mean what would you like to know? Top 5 techniques for longevity? Common disease prevention/untraditional treatments? What would it be for you? Thanks!

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co

mtnman,

First I like the layout and feel. It has that cozy log cabin feel. Not sure if thats what you intended, but it works.

2nd: perhaps it wouldn't hurt to give the forum a healthy start before the book. This forum is a great example. When MJ finishes his book, and users come to this forum, they will find a wealth of information to dive into. It will really enhance their experience. Just some Whole food for thought.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD

I should be asking other questions as well. What would entice you to a place like this in the health industry?

I know the vague answers, but I mean what would you like to know? Top 5 techniques for longevity? Common disease prevention/untraditional treatments? What would it be for you? Thanks!
It seems like you have a pretty broad range of users that you're trying to target. I would do the following to try to break down your target users to build up your site:

1) Middle-aged females: You could start by promoting some tips about natural methods to anti-aging. Maybe you could deal with some other topics that may be of interest to them with pregnancy, menopause, or things down that alley.

2) Athletes: Post tips to prevent injuries. Promote stretching, yoga, and other things to keep an active body in shape and healthy. You could also offer advice on different holistic approaches (massage, chiropractic, acupuncture) to treating sports-related injuries.

3) Parents: You could give parents advice on how to keep their children healthy -- hit on everything from nutrition to illness prevention to sports, and discuss ways to keep their psychological side in check (both kids and parents).

4) Elderly: Discuss basic ways to stay in shape -- from yoga to basic stretching and exercising to dieting.

5) Adults (well, anyone really): Discuss ways to stay relaxed. Encourage meditation, stress-management via acupuncure, running, or whatever floats their boat. Inform them of the benefits with focus, energy, and other things they would find interesting.

Once you've added the content, start marketing within the industry and your niches. Find blogs and sites for women, working adults, the elderly, or athletes, and emphasize the assets you've created for them to attract them to your site. You can sponsor blog posts or buy a banner ad on a regular site -- anything to reach your target audience.

Additionally, you may want to form contacts with professionals in the holistic industry to help you promote your site. If they tell their patients/customers, your user-base will increase. You may also increase your credibility by bringing on professionals.

Good luck!

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007

Thanks Bilge and Yanks! Much appreciated.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007

Seriously Yankees, how are you under 40? You are so wise and full of great input and insight it just floors me.

...I agree with Yankees in the launch of the forum first. I don't think this chain of events was what MJ had planned, but look at how well it's worked. In addition, launching the forum first has allowed him to work out all the kinks, so when other people come in now they see a hoppin' forum. No one likes to join what they perceive to be a dead forum.

As for moving the community area up under the welcome area- yes I would do this. It's a nice feature. People that visit forums come for info but they stay for the interaction between the other members.

I love Yankees ideas about the different categories (++rep Yankees). Go with that as well; they are all great ideas that seem like they have high traffic potential.

You had also mentioned offering tips, like top 5 ways to... People love tips. They're eye catching and an easy read.

You may also want to get a panel of "experts" together in various fields and maybe have podcasts. I would also like to see a section where people can review and write a review on different products.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Yankees and Yves - both great responses! ++++

All of those target groups are awesome! I suppose you just need to decide where you want to take it... or maybe it could be all inclusive?

Getting experts on board is a great idea and I am certainly a sucker for quick lists of 'tips'. Every time Yahoo headlines a 'Top 10 foods to a Long Life', I am ALL OVER it!

I think the site has a great foundation. It gives me an online 'wellness center' type of feel - more about the solutions, as opposed to say, a WebMD, where I am fearful as to what crazy condition I will be self diagnosing myself with, based on my limited search criteria. haha

I could certainly see myself using a resource like that. Perfect for lunch break stress relief.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I like the idea of the site. I am just not digging the color so much?

"Need a cure? Ask the Community!" section with the dark brown...to me just seems to suck the life out of website. I suggest changing the color to a something more uplifting. Make the "join hidden healing" button more attractive to click on. I know it is easy to fall in love with the color you orginally pick out so do what you think is best. Very clean, professional looking site though. Good job!

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
I concur on the colors.

For me, the green leaves are very nice, alive, and healing.

Browns and Fall tones bring to mind frozen Winter, and the death of all green plant life.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I'm surprised about the colors and such, as I did not pick this look and feel. Actually, it is far from something I would choose myself, but it has grown on me. All I can say is I had many female contributors in the small poll I took. lol

I'll work on the buttons and play around with the tones a bit.

I think I need a themed logo as well. I have underestimated design contests in the past, but thanks to the people who have posted about them, I think I may try a couple, or contact the designers I like directly.

More suggestions are definitely welcomed! Thanks again to all those who helped out!

DylanO

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 4, 2008
Really nice, clean design! Very easy on the eyes. My only comment would be to make the left icon to the left of the forums much smaller - it's a visual cue, and it really doesn't need to be so prominent.

And if you're looking for a logo, a friend just completed a project on crowdspring.com for a logo (for his blog) and was extremely happy. Apparently, he set the price, received a free legal agreement, didn't have to worry about paying the designer (the site took care of the payment), and had great logos to choose from. I've used Elance before for that type of work, but in talking with my friend and looking at his project on crowdspring, I would much rather use crowdspring (or another such site) if I had to get another logo.

Dylan

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.