The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Pictures of Product on Website & Quality

Marketing, social media, advertising

Anthony_44

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 5, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Okay, so I am getting VERY close to releasing my retail website. I have product in hand, website is 90% where it needs to be, marketing material is close to being finalized. It has all been done on a very tight budget, and I will say the budget has been eatin up quite a bit. An issue I have run into is that now that I am ready to put the pictures of the product (clothing/apparel) on the site, the quality of pictures I am capable of producing concerns me.

Do I just do the best I can and get the website up and selling so that I can at least have the opportunity for income, or do I wait a couple weeks until I can afford some high quality pictures with proper lighting and environment. I would usually say the first, but after thinking about my purchasing habits I am much less likely to purchase something when the photo looks substandard. I have seen the same t-shirt on multiple website, one of which was poorly staged and one of which was done peoperly and I would have never purchased the shirt from the first site.

Advice? Experience?

Thanks!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
This thread may help: Portable Photo Studio - I am impressed

There seem to be lots of articles on Google about clothing photography, ebay clothing photography, fashion photography, if you go the DIY route.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anthony_44

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 5, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Thank you very much for the link, definitely has some good pointers.

Yes, I have read all the do it yourself options, and for the majority of smaller items I feel it works really good. I am yet to be impressed with the majority (not all) of the apparel items, and the good ones I feel like they have a much better camera than I have at my disposal.

I guess the question is do I make the best of what I have and try to follow these DIY threads, or do I wait and have them professionally done? Is the wait + money increase the likelyhood of me selling the product enough to offset the expenditure?

Anthony_44

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 5, 2012
North Carolina, USA
With that being said.....I still just ordered the photography kit. Thanks again!

I should have said screw apparel and just sold stuff that helps people sell stuff

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TopChef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
May 22, 2013
Near San Diego
I would open now. You may not sell a lot, but you can use this time to experiment with your website design, copy, seo, etc.

If you have never run Ecommerce before there are lots of things to learn. Photography is a great skill to have but learning about your niche and how Ecommerce runs takes precedent I think.

Anthony_44

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Dec 5, 2012
North Carolina, USA
Honestly, every aspect of this journey is new to me, so I tend to agree that getting the learning started early is probably the best way to go. Easier to sell an ugly picture than no picture. Thanks for the advice

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.