- Joined
- May 1, 2011
- Messages
- 9,310
Rep Bank
$8,562
$8,562
User Power: 441%
A question primarily for those who have amassed at least six figures in savings - do you have any personal rules to protect yourself from stupid decisions that will make you lose your wealth?
For example, here are a few basic rules I follow:
What are your rules?
For example, here are a few basic rules I follow:
- I don't gamble or invest in anything resembling it (including very high risk investments). I may possibly (maaaaybe) consider investing 5-10% of my net worth in riskier projects in the future (like angel investing) but otherwise I'd never invest any considerable amount of money in anything where it's very likely to lose your entire investment (even if the upside can be 10x).
- I don't invest in companies/opportunities without a solid background. @MJ DeMarco talks about it in Unscripted (the apocalypse rule). I believe a lot of celebrities have lost a lot of money because they didn't follow this rule and invested in a Ponzi scheme.
- I educate myself and calculate risks before investing in anything. And if I can't understand it or can't calculate risks, I don't invest in it. Even if it's super hot and everyone talks about it (like crypto).
- I prioritize diversification over returns. So for example, I'd rather invest in three rental properties than one (I don't have any rental properties at the moment) to spread my risk over three locations. I do the same with P2P loans (secured by mortgage) where each loan is just a small percentage of the entire portfolio.
- I prefer income investing over capital gains investing. That's primarily because income is usually predictable and I prefer monthly cashflow (and live off it) to some unrealized uncertain capital gains. That's why I'd rather invest in a boring dividend stock or REIT than a "hot" new technology stock.
- I don't buy anything for status. That's actually because of my personality and not because I set it as a financial rule but it's still very important nonetheless. I'm very utilitarian and don't care about stuff that's primarily sold for personal image reasons (like expensive cars, designer clothes, jewelry, etc.). I think this is the most common reason why people lose their entire wealth, even if it's seven or eight figures (like pro athletes).
What are your rules?
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?

