The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Perfection vs. getting something out there... advice needed.

Anything related to matters of the mind

AdamRyanUK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 7, 2023
Hi,

So I'm currently building a snow forecasting website for ski/snowboard enthusiasts which involves processing and visualising lots of model data. Its been a steep learning curve but i'm getting there and could be at the point of releasing something in a couple of weeks. However it is not perfect. In DeMarco's books he talks about getting something out there and not procrastinating letting the market decide but also about how if you do an excellent job you are likely to have at least good results.

Some of the current problems I'm facing are imperfect algorithms incorrectly forecasting snowfall totals for certain sites...
no log in or user auth pages or no path to monetisation at this point.
messing about too much creating a kind of array based visualisation of temperatures over the whole mountain.
The code is probably a bit messy, gets the job done but its a relatively complex website with multiple views charts etc ingesting vast amounts of weather data.

Would you recommend just releasing something and starting to build up users from scratch / seeing the market reaction or investing more time on a decent product before releasing something?

Has anyone else been through similar processes and can give some tips on how you made it work?

I feel like i'm neglecting the marketing and side of building up a user base which would hopefully naturally lead to steering any product in the right direction if it is indeed something which will have any traction at all.

Cheers,

Adam.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Would you recommend just releasing something and starting to build up users from scratch / seeing the market reaction or investing more time on a decent product before releasing something?
Have you had any feedback from skiers or snowboarders on what your thinking of releasing?

AdamRyanUK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 7, 2023
Have you had any feedback from skiers or snowboarders on what your thinking of releasing?
no I have not but similar sites exist. Instead of trying to come up with a new and amazing product i'm thinking of value skewing what already has been shown to work. I used to work as a snow forecaster for ski resorts too and made a couple of k a month just writing blog posts about the stuff let alone having a site dedicated to it.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
no I have not but similar sites exist. Instead of trying to come up with a new and amazing product i'm thinking of value skewing what already has been shown to work. I used to work as a snow forecaster for ski resorts too and made a couple of k a month just writing blog posts about the stuff let alone having a site dedicated to it.
That's encouraging.

Can you write blog posts like you did before, but for your own site?

How will you get people to your site?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AdamRyanUK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 7, 2023
That's encouraging.

Can you write blog posts like you did before, but for your own site?

How will you get people to your site?

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your reply.

I would write blog posts myself, especially to begin with. Plus a weekly forecast newsletter which ppl get if they provide their email. The main idea though is most of it is automated so they just select a country and forecast and can view it.

To get people to go to the site I guess i'd use social media, comment on snowstorms, conditions, do posts/forecasts linking to the site. I would also probably pay a certain amount of my salary towards paid advertising for the target demographic.

Adam.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
To get people to go to the site I guess i'd use social media, comment on snowstorms, conditions, do posts/forecasts linking to the site. I would also probably pay a certain amount of my salary towards paid advertising for the target demographic.
Can you start this now?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.