• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

OFF-TOPIC Payless Prank

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by jasoncuellar123, Dec 2, 2018.

1. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,446
  2. Lex DeVille

Lex DeVille CAUTION! I hurt people's feelings... Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $41,582
    Important lessons in context, framing, pricing, and perceived value.

The business sets the context. If the context is a luxury store, then it creates a frame for premium pricing. The frame and context increase the perceived value of the product. With increased perceived value, the right customers are happy to buy.

One thing I wonder is, would those customers still be happy with their Payless quality shoes a week or two after purchase? I've bought Payless shoes before, and there were some noticeable quality issues, especially when compared to other brands I've bought like 5.11 and Nike.

Even though Payless was able to pull a fancy marketing stunt that might trick some people into believing their shoes are of great quality, I don't think it would change the customer experience much in the end. In fact, customers would probably be more disappointed if their shoes wore out fast, or lead to nasty foot odor because they weren't properly ventilated.

Ultimately, the customer would be pissed, and Payless would eat a hard lesson on the difference between perceived value and actual value. As it stands, they've probably at least increased their perceived value for the Christmas season. It may not last, but it definitely got attention.

3. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 I’m probably awake. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $13,446
    You have a way nicer mindset than I do lol

I was thinking how your average consumer is a dolt, but hey your answer is better lol

4. MetalGear

MetalGear Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,630
    How I Faked My Way to The Top of Paris Fashion Week
    • Perception is reality
    • The market will provide feedback on quality and can do it brutally
    • I'm completely fascinated by marketing since I might run an e-commerce venture soon
    • Are pants a commodity even if they're Georgio Pevianis? :cool:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    TheCj, luniac, ZF Lee and 2 others like this.
  5. Tammyanne

Tammyanne Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $179
    Believe it..and is pretty funny. Marketing/promoting and was it the ambience look..or looks like some people were perhaps a bit gullible.

Xeon likes this.
  6. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The .45 longslide, with laser sighting. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,660
  7. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $356,969
    Admin Post
    Not surprising. Most humans act upon their kneejerk conditioning. In other words, they're Scripted.

The larger message here is the importance of marketing and STORY to your brand build.

8. Paladin

Paladin Bronze Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,160
    It's also interesting to note how nobody has ever talked about a Payless commercial before. It's NOT the value of the commercial but all the free publicity they get from going viral. This story is all over the news and now this forum. There are people with Payless on their mind who didn't even see the video.

AgainstAllOdds and Bearcorp like this.
  9. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $59,514
    The response by @Lex DeVille was spot on. You can gild the lily but unless it is solid gold it will wilt.

As I have posted previously, superior branding and labeling can persuade people that you have a premium product, but unless the product truly is premium, your success will be short-lived.

Sure there are plenty of gullible people around but products that don't live up to the expectations generated by such branding hype as used by Payless, will turn them into resentful gullible people.

A good move for Payless? Short term it will likely boost revenue. Long term it could lead to disaster.

Walter

Lex DeVille, MJ DeMarco and Roz like this.
  10. Bearcorp

Bearcorp Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,451
    Didn't they refund all the customers? I'm not sure it will hurt the brand long term, other than some embarrassed influencers wouldn't everyone else find it funny that a budget shoe brand punked some wannabe celebrities? That's how I saw it anyway! This has been huge exposure for the business. (didn't watch the video but I've read a bit about it online)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $356,969
    Admin Post
    Yea, I'm sure it was just a stunt. They wouldn't charge someone for $400 for $40 shoes. That would make this stunt a negative PR action. But it does show how gullible people are with the right lighting, the right glassware, and the right French accent.

Absolutely.

You can market the brand as premium but it has to ultimately deliver that.

This goes back to the concept of perceived/actual value I discuss in Unscripted.

12. MetalGear

MetalGear Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,630
    Love this

Walter Hay likes this.
  13. JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ When you see this, say something clever. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $261
    Not to say anyone of us couldn't be duped by certain things, but I had second hand embarrassment watching that.

So crazy when you know in advance, "the jig is up". That's what's crazy about SCRIPTED Life. You know, but do you know. Ya' know? Well at least now you know...

jasoncuellar123 likes this.
  14. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,834
    that dude is a genius

AgainstAllOdds and TheCj like this.
  15. TheCj

TheCj Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $117
    Awesome "prank" I doubt the quality would have been noticed by the people they had shopping since they most likely try new items weekly and never get the chance to wear something out.

Reminds me of people and there wine $5 bottle vs $50 taste tests etc.. . Also if someone said I have a room in my house just for all my beer that I go and enjoy, and have enough beer for years. People would think the person has a drinking problem, say you have a wine grotto/room and all of a sudden you are an elite sophisticated member of society. Back to the comments of marketing mentioned earlier...

Think this also show's the way society is being so dumbed down, so many people have no idea how to judge quality and rely strictly on price as an indicator of how good an item is.

16. jasoncuellar123

Rep Bank:
    $13,446
    Maybe some people with money are more readily available to pay for something expensive, especially if they got that money through inheritance or something.

But I think the fashion industry revolves around the next hot thing, so that probably played a role....

17. Walter Hay

Walter Hay Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $59,514
    Don't forget that there are fashions in many different industries. Most people seem to want the latest...... whatever it is, because without them realizing it, they are following fashion.

There are fashions in phones, food, house designs, cars, house decor, and Oh Yes... clothing.

Walter

18. jasoncuellar123

Rep Bank:
    $13,446
    So don't go chasing waterfalls?

Walter Hay likes this.
  19. Walter Hay

Rep Bank:
    $59,514
    So many feel the need to chase their intangible dreams that it makes them the perfect target for clever marketing.

I have been guilty of capitalizing on that by offering something for FREE. It drew in many customers for my second B2B business, including hard-nosed executives who would have known in their hearts that there is no such thing as a free lunch.. Or FREE anything.

IMO, many people are happy to be deceived, provided they can feel a warm glow as a result.

Walter

20. jasoncuellar123

Rep Bank:
    $13,446
    Sounds like drugs

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.