The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Only 10 mil. people speak my language. How can I serve millions??

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic
Hello,
I read 2 of MJ's books recently. They are amazing. I never came across anything like that and I have to say that I have read way more then 500 books. Thanks MJ :thumbsup:
In his books, MJ always talks about serving millions, earning millions... but my country is very small and people here don't speak English. My products would be only for international customers not for people in my own country.

My country is in the middle of Europe with the population of 10 mil. people. The market is not really huge. I have some info products. Now, I'm thinking about switching completely to English language with much greater potencial for my business. I think I would not have any problem to switch to English myself but it would be almost impossible to get guests in my podcast :somber:

Has anyone solved similar problem? I'm sure I'm not only one with this dilemma.

Thanks for any suggestions and sharing your experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello,
I read 2 of MJ's books recently. They are amazing. I never came across anything like that and I have to say that I have read way more then 500 books. Thanks MJ :thumbsup:
In his books, MJ always talks about serving millions, earning millions... but my country is very small and people here don't speak English. My products would be only for international customers not for people in my own country.

My country is in the middle of Europe with the population of 10 mil. people. The market is not really huge. I have some info products. Now, I'm thinking about switching completely to English language with much greater potencial for my business. I think I would not have any problem to switch to English myself but it would be almost impossible to get guests in my podcast :somber:

1) Would it really be impossible to get guests for your podcast? What if you did a solo podcast anyway? And maybe put it on YouTube and other platforms?

2) 10 million is a bigger population than here Ireland. Lots of Irish businesses do very well just serving people in Ireland, or even just their county or town.

Think about all the money flowing every day within 100 meters of you. Mortgage payments. Insurance payments. People’s salaries coming into their homes. Food, utility, and other living expenses. Etc, etc.

Now think for your whole country.

All you need to do is get some of that to cash that’s already flowing to flow through you.

3) Not saying *not* to do English content. The English speaking market is huge, and includes high spending countries.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I had a similar problem many years ago and decided to focus on the international English-speaking market. If you want to build an online business, I wouldn't build it in such a small country as yours.

You'll have an incomparably larger scale when doing business in English plus you'll most likely be getting paid more than in your local currency (unless you're in a rich country). It'll be way easier to run your business (due to all the tools that often aren't available locally) and it'll be way easier to hire people if needed and sell it later if that's your plan.

The only exception I would make is if you are in a country that's visited year round by tourists and offers something exceptional you love to do there (for example world-class hiking or beaches or whatever). I assume you're in Hungary, though, so probably not that great of a market for businesses in the tourism industry.

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic
I had a similar problem many years ago and decided to focus on the international English-speaking market. If you want to build an online business, I wouldn't build it in such a small country as yours.

You'll have an incomparably larger scale when doing business in English plus you'll most likely be getting paid more than in your local currency (unless you're in a rich country). It'll be way easier to run your business (due to all the tools that often aren't available locally) and it'll be way easier to hire people if needed and sell it later if that's your plan.

The only exception I would make is if you are in a country that's visited year round by tourists and offers something exceptional you love to do there (for example world-class hiking or beaches or whatever). I assume you're in Hungary, though, so probably not that great of a market for businesses in the tourism industry.
It is the Czech Republic but Hungary is not far away...

Yes, I totally agree with the English content. I never tapped into global audience. I used to have a business in the past serving Czech customers only, helping them start new life in the UK. It was OK but today, I would do it differently. Larger audience is very useful.

Thanks for your answer.

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic
1) Would it really be impossible to get guests for your podcast? What if you did a solo podcast anyway? And maybe put it on YouTube and other platforms?

2) 10 million is a bigger population than here Ireland. Lots of Irish businesses do very well just serving people in Ireland, or even just their county or town.

Think about all the money flowing every day within 100 meters of you. Mortgage payments. Insurance payments. People’s salaries coming into their homes. Food, utility, and other living expenses. Etc, etc.

Now think for your whole country.

All you need to do is get some of that to cash that’s already flowing to flow through you.

3) Not saying *not* to do English content. The English speaking market is huge, and includes high spending countries.
Great exercise Andy. Love it. You are right with the money flowing around within 100 m.

1) It is possible to do it on my own (no guests) or invite people and talk online. Should work that way.

2) Agree with serving locally and profitability. It can work. However, online info business is specific business model. I used to have property rental business in Manchester, UK serving Czech customers only and it worked well. However, it was almost impossible to move beyond 5k/month barrier.

Thank you for your answer. Very useful Andy.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hello,

The market is not really huge, depends on product.
If you are selling luxury boats in the Czech Republic I`ll venture to say that the market is very tiny.
But ask the same question "How big is the market?" to a producer of toilet paper.

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic
The market is not really huge, depends on product.
If you are selling luxury boats in the Czech Republic I`ll venture to say that the market is very tiny.
But ask the same question "How big is the market?" to a producer of toilet paper.
Yes, this is exactly what I am wrestling with... I am not boat seller nor toilet paper seller. It is somewhere in between :happy:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
It is the Czech Republic but Hungary is not far away...

Yes, I totally agree with the English content. I never tapped into global audience. I used to have a business in the past serving Czech customers only, helping them start new life in the UK. It was OK but today, I would do it differently. Larger audience is very useful.

Thanks for your answer.

Damn I initially wrote Hungary or the Czech Republic but then saw that there are almost 11 million people there so decided it had to be Hungary haha.

Another thought is that you can focus on magnitude, i.e. industries where you sell life-changing/otherwise extremely valuable stuff to fewer clients. You can build a really nice business serving only the affluent, even in a small country.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
You could open a fertility donor bank and call it 'The Czechs In The Post'

Dan

D

Deleted85763

Hello,

What do your podcasts discuss? If it's about your country then yes not many people outside of it will want to listen. But if you discuss topics that appeal to say all Europeans or to the world then yes English is the way to go. In my life I feel so fortunate to be an English speaker.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Why do you see that as a problem?

You know what I see? Opportunity.

For a brand.

Unless your subject is super niche, like blue dildos :rofl::rofl:, you should be very grateful.

Make it your mission that all of them 10 million people would have heard about your podcast at least once by 202x

I honestly think this is an amazing opportunity for you.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Yes, this is exactly what I am wrestling with... I am not boat seller nor toilet paper seller. It is somewhere in between
Well, never mind my previous comment.

Are you starting a new religion?!

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic
Damn I initially wrote Hungary or the Czech Republic but then saw that there are almost 11 million people there so decided it had to be Hungary haha.

Another thought is that you can focus on magnitude, i.e. industries where you sell life-changing/otherwise extremely valuable stuff to fewer clients. You can build a really nice business serving only the affluent, even in a small country.
You made a point. I love this answer with "magnitude". I used to do that when I had business in Manchester serving Czech clients only. The paradox is that the pool of potential clientele was the same as it is now. However, "magnitude" was greater than it is now.
Thank you.

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic
What do your podcasts discuss? If it's about your country then yes not many people outside of it will want to listen. But if you discuss topics that appeal to say all Europeans or to the world then yes English is the way to go. In my life I feel so fortunate to be an English speaker.
The topic is property investing. It is Czech Republic specific. The problem is that every EU country is slightly different when it comes to buying or renting properties.

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic
Why do you see that as a problem?

You know what I see? Opportunity.

For a brand.

Unless your subject is super niche, like blue dildos :rofl::rofl:, you should be very grateful.

Make it your mission that all of them 10 million people would have heard about your podcast at least once by 202x

I honestly think this is an amazing opportunity for you.
Great advise :thumbsup:

Yes, that is exactly my dilemma. Is it better for all 10 mil to know about my podcast and products or try to speak to Global audience and probably never get 10 mil listeners.

I understand that Global looks more sexy but it is very competitive.

Thank you.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I understand that Global looks more sexy but it is very competitive.
it only looks sexy.

But :

Would you prefer to be yet another podcast in English or

THE PODCAST ON PROPERTY INVESTING in your country?

Easier to get noticed, make new connections, interview celebrities, investors, etc.

Out of them 10 mil people lots know English. Lots have friends that speak English from another countries if you want to diversify once you saturate your current.

Now stop debating and get to work.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
it only looks sexy.

But :

Would you prefer to be yet another podcast in English or

THE PODCAST ON PROPERTY INVESTING in your country?

Easier to get noticed, make new connections, interview celebrities, investors, etc.

Out of them 10 mil people lots know English. Lots have friends that speak English from another countries if you want to diversify once you saturate your current.

Now stop debating and get to work.

I'm not sure if you understand what it's like to build something fairly specific in a small country. Yes, you can make an okay living but you'll never match the scale you can get worldwide. Even if you're just an average podcaster, you'll still build a WAY bigger business in English than as the top guy in a small non-English-speaking country with a language completely irrelevant outside of its borders.

Perhaps it's easier to start but it's extremely hard to grow and even harder to make it deliver the results you're after. That would be different if he simply spoke another major language (like German) but not Czech.

For example, in Poland (38 million people) the top guy in the personal finance niche made on his top personal finance book in Poland in 2019 about 1 million USD. And that's by far the biggest guy there is, the most recognizable one with the best marketing skills. I don't even know who would be second but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even manage to get $500k a year. And that's for a very broad topic relevant to every person.

Now compare that to the Czech Republic with almost 4x smaller population. You'd be lucky to get $250k a year in personal finance, and way less in such a small niche as property investing.

This, plus also there's risk in case he doesn't want to live in the Czech Republic anymore or if the market tanks or whatever else happens that could be mitigated if it was an international podcast or if it were a more general topic or a different business altogether.

But in the end that's just my opinion. I myself wouldn't build a content based business in a small country unless it was about a major topic most people are interested in. It's just way too frustrating and demotivating to scale in such a small market. A low ceiling isn't conducive to thinking big.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
the top guy in the personal finance niche made on his top personal finance book in Poland in 2019 about 1 million USD.
And that’s only one stream( according to you)
Ok, he’s the best there is in Poland.

Opinions differ for a reason. I’m mostly subjective.
What I suggested was my opinion on how he should start.

Nothing wrong with saturating his market and then going international.

Since we don’t know his financial goals, we can’t assume he won’t be happy on 100k or even 50k/ year.

I totally understand what you say but small eastern european countries are usually like this :

Once you become known, you can dip your fingers in every sector there is ( more or less) and make money.

It’s also funny, cause I can see the exact path.

Small time guy/girl - gets a bit of traction on some subject, gets invited on a small show for his subject, then a bit of some other pop ups here and there, and then another show and so on until most people in the country know the person, then a book is published, then a course is up and so on and so on.

It’s way easier to get on Czech television than to get on Oprah. Audience is not the same, true, but you get my point.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@woken in that we agree. I guess since I personally wouldn't want to become a celebrity I'd only focus on one industry but yeah, if you could then branch out then you could become a local celebrity and work in different sectors. Comes with a ton of drawbacks, though.

Abrodos

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Sep 25, 2019
Barcelona, Spain
I'm having similar issues here! My main language and the business customers I've been appealing to, is Catalan, spoken by 4-7 million people more or less in Spain, with an added political payload when producing cultural content. I also know Spanish and English, and I feel kind of a multiple personality disorder at times, especially when most of my customers/market is not fluent in English.
A solution I'm trying is to work my marketing with as little wording as possible. It isn't working very well though :)

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic
I'm not sure if you understand what it's like to build something fairly specific in a small country. Yes, you can make an okay living but you'll never match the scale you can get worldwide. Even if you're just an average podcaster, you'll still build a WAY bigger business in English than as the top guy in a small non-English-speaking country with a language completely irrelevant outside of its borders.

Perhaps it's easier to start but it's extremely hard to grow and even harder to make it deliver the results you're after. That would be different if he simply spoke another major language (like German) but not Czech.

For example, in Poland (38 million people) the top guy in the personal finance niche made on his top personal finance book in Poland in 2019 about 1 million USD. And that's by far the biggest guy there is, the most recognizable one with the best marketing skills. I don't even know who would be second but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even manage to get $500k a year. And that's for a very broad topic relevant to every person.

Now compare that to the Czech Republic with almost 4x smaller population. You'd be lucky to get $250k a year in personal finance, and way less in such a small niche as property investing.

This, plus also there's risk in case he doesn't want to live in the Czech Republic anymore or if the market tanks or whatever else happens that could be mitigated if it was an international podcast or if it were a more general topic or a different business altogether.

But in the end that's just my opinion. I myself wouldn't build a content based business in a small country unless it was about a major topic most people are interested in. It's just way too frustrating and demotivating to scale in such a small market. A low ceiling isn't conducive to thinking big.
Spot on. Great insights.

Someone on the top is able to make a living here in Czech. That's it. Property investing is really niche topic so it is very difficult to make a business out of it.

I have to add that I'm probably the biggest name online for property investing in Czech. It is not difficult to get that far but it is virtually impossible to make a living out of it unless I wanted to start a real estate agency or to become a financial advisor. Otherwise there is no business. No revenue.

Personal finance is broader than property investing where people just go out and buy what they see. And if they don't do something very stupid, they will always make money :happy: May be there is no market for property courses. Podcast and free info is very popular and this is how I became No.1. Not sure what to do next.

I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to solve my dilemma and find something that people want. I don't have people in my circuit with whom I'd be able to discuss such thing.

Wojnaradam

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Nov 11, 2021
Czech Republic
I'm having similar issues here! My main language and the business customers I've been appealing to, is Catalan, spoken by 4-7 million people more or less in Spain, with an added political payload when producing cultural content. I also know Spanish and English, and I feel kind of a multiple personality disorder at times, especially when most of my customers/market is not fluent in English.
A solution I'm trying is to work my marketing with as little wording as possible. It isn't working very well though :)
I totally understand. It will always be like this for us, who come from smaller countries. The only way is to go for magnitude. Or to go for bigger audience (Spanish speaking countries or global in English).

When I had a business in the UK, I was serving Czech citizens who wanted to relocate there. Again, the market was very small. Customer pool up to 10 mil people. If you subtract all irrelevant age groups and other specifications, my customer base was up to 50 thousand people. I was trying to grow the customer pool by tapping into Spanish and Italian markets. Got few customers but overall it was unsuccessful. It is very different if you talk to you people or some other nationals. They don't connect unless you have locals to understand the social dynamics of any particular country.

Back then, I served only 800 customers in 7 ears. Despite this, I made it work and earned some money to buy few properties myself and made sound investments.

It looks to me that magnitude is very important for small audience otherwise it will never work and the business will never become financially sustainable.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...