The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Aron

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 26, 2019
Hey guys!

I am from germany and over the last few months I learned how to build websites throughout a udemy curse.
You all know for example UberEats. Here in germany the top player is lieferando, which bought all competitors and now increased fees for generating a lead to 14%.

In my home town(20.000 population), lieferando is non existent, because there are just a few pizza restaurants, which deliver. From this pizza restaurants, only one restaurant has a online food ordering opportunity (since 3 months). The other have´nt even a website or a really bad one (screenshot).

Currently I try to develop such a website, which then, with minimal changes for each customer, can be used for pizza delivery restaurants like in my city.

The whole product should do the following:

customer sight:
- easy to use ordering system with minimalistic design and no photos
- displays the time the food is delivered and shows in which step the order is currently (like dominos)
- App + website

-driver sight (driver App):
1. The person who deliverys should not write each adress manually, instead he opens the app and accept the order and gets the adress in google maps instantly shown.
2. Many orders will be paid with real cash. Often, one person orders, but many people are involved in the order and want to pay for themself. I want the driver App to help the delivery employee to easily have an overview of how much each person has to pay. So time of process is reduced.

restaurant sight:
- the order should pop up at the computer and have to be accepted. The order is then shown in the kitchen on a screen, so the employees can start to cook the pizza.
- the whole order goes into a box to keep the food warm and gets a code attached to it, which the driver can scan and accept in his app.

How do I want to monetarize it?

Pizza restaurants often have´nt the capital to invest in the whole hardware/software which is involved in offering a online ordering system. I want to charge 50 euro/month and nothing to install the whole system.
I could more or less easily scale the system and sell it to other pizza delivery restaurants.

When here are people out there who have experience in the this field and are willing the help me, please contact me personally or just comment below.

Please let me know what you think about this. I would be happy to see a lot of comments.

greets Aron

PS: sorry for any mistakes made in english, please correct me if you find one

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Inkedpizzadeliveryexample_LI.jpg
    Inkedpizzadeliveryexample_LI.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 20

Aron

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 26, 2019
You might need an app. I doubt that most people would order via website nowadays.
Yes, as I described above I plan to make one. What do you think about it in general?

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Hey guys!

I am from germany and over the last few months I learned how to build websites throughout a udemy curse.
You all know for example UberEats. Here in germany the top player is lieferando, which bought all competitors and now increased fees for generating a lead to 14%.

In my home town(20.000 population), lieferando is non existent, because there are just a few pizza restaurants, which deliver. From this pizza restaurants, only one restaurant has a online food ordering opportunity (since 3 months). The other have´nt even a website or a really bad one (screenshot).

Currently I try to develop such a website, which then, with minimal changes for each customer, can be used for pizza delivery restaurants like in my city.

The whole product should do the following:

customer sight:
- easy to use ordering system with minimalistic design and no photos
- displays the time the food is delivered and shows in which step the order is currently (like dominos)
- App + website

-driver sight (driver App):
1. The person who deliverys should not write each adress manually, instead he opens the app and accept the order and gets the adress in google maps instantly shown.
2. Many orders will be paid with real cash. Often, one person orders, but many people are involved in the order and want to pay for themself. I want the driver App to help the delivery employee to easily have an overview of how much each person has to pay. So time of process is reduced.

restaurant sight:
- the order should pop up at the computer and have to be accepted. The order is then shown in the kitchen on a screen, so the employees can start to cook the pizza.
- the whole order goes into a box to keep the food warm and gets a code attached to it, which the driver can scan and accept in his app.

How do I want to monetarize it?

Pizza restaurants often have´nt the capital to invest in the whole hardware/software which is involved in offering a online ordering system. I want to charge 50 euro/month and nothing to install the whole system.
I could more or less easily scale the system and sell it to other pizza delivery restaurants.

When here are people out there who have experience in the this field and are willing the help me, please contact me personally or just comment below.

Please let me know what you think about this. I would be happy to see a lot of comments.

greets Aron

PS: sorry for any mistakes made in english, please correct me if you find one

Hi was geht,

What is special about your concept from other much larger delivery companies? You know from Lieferando, deliveroo and ubereats that it works. They have validated it for you. The issue is rather in the market you are trying to establish your service in. 20.000 pop and a few restaurants doesnt sound to me like a market worthwile investing in. There will be a reason why they have no lieferando etc. What is the geography like? Do people call and order or is this a town with an older generation that drives to restaurants anyways? Even if you succesfully develop the entire system how big is your market? The app that you want with the business setup that you aim for will easy cost you somewhere low-mid 5-figures. Will you ever have a good ROI in your town? Will you ever be able to scale and compete against the established business of lieferando?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Yes, as I described above I plan to make one. What do you think about it in general?

You don't necessarily need a native app. There are softwares that can take a website and wrap it in a container to be usable on iOS and Android.

You can use WordPress for example, and build everything with plugins in less than a week.

It's not going to have all of your features, like tracking the driver. But it's enough to get your MVP.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Can probably find a clone website / app to use if you think this has potential. A German company that builds a lot of businesses out this way does just that. Replicate what works and bring it to markets that the leader hasn't dominated yet. They've sold many companies to the people they replicated so they then get market share.

Aron

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 26, 2019
Hi was geht,

What is special about your concept from other much larger delivery companies? You know from Lieferando, deliveroo and ubereats that it works. They have validated it for you. The issue is rather in the market you are trying to establish your service in. 20.000 pop and a few restaurants doesnt sound to me like a market worthwile investing in. There will be a reason why they have no lieferando etc. What is the geography like? Do people call and order or is this a town with an older generation that drives to restaurants anyways? Even if you succesfully develop the entire system how big is your market? The app that you want with the business setup that you aim for will easy cost you somewhere low-mid 5-figures. Will you ever have a good ROI in your town? Will you ever be able to scale and compete against the established business of lieferando?

Thanks for your reply!
In fact, nothing is special about my concept, besides the fee structure (50 euro fix per month vs paying 14% of order volume). It is the same concept, but a different enviroment. Lieferando, deliveroo and ubereats focus on large citys with many restaurants and opportunitys to order. In small towns (like mine) it is´nt established. One restaurant already has an online ordering system and I see that it´s used quite a lot. The reason they have no lieferando is that the restaurants are´nt listed on it. I guess because they don´t want to pay the fees for it. In such a small town you don´t have a big variety of restaurants to order, so people order at the same restaurants via mobilphone.

Size of market
My market would be all smaller citys in germany, in which the big player are´nt established. The plan is to develop the software first for one specific restaurant type (pizza restaurant) and than scale it from time to time. (100-500 customer is realistic in a longer term in my opinion -> 5000-25.000 a month). I don´t see me competing with lieferando as it is both online food ordering, but in a different area (like small towns. Restaurants in such areas are´nt as competetive and forced to pay 14% in order to be competetive, so they don´t.

I observed my social environment in the last months and the result is the following:

1) people order online, when the opportunity is there
2) people want to know when exactly their food is delivered/ want to track the process (like implemented in lieferando etc.)
3) in some cases the order is taken wrong or forgotten, because of communication issues
4) the driver does´nt find the house and drives back to the restaurant as they have no phone number to call (driver app could solve that )

Also the system creates value for the restaurants:
1) currently there are employees only to accept the phonecalls in order to take the orders
-> decreased wage cost
2) the delivery time is decreased for various reasons (driver app)
-> restaurant can deliver more orders in less time

I really appreciate your comment! Thanks

Let me know, if you see it different or when I have something missed out.

Last edited:

Aron

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 26, 2019
You don't necessarily need a native app. There are softwares that can take a website and wrap it in a container to be usable on iOS and Android.
Thanks for your comment!

Do you have any suggestion for the software?

Aron

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Mar 26, 2019
Can probably find a clone website / app to use if you think this has potential. A German company that builds a lot of businesses out this way does just that. Replicate what works and bring it to markets that the leader hasn't dominated yet. They've sold many companies to the people they replicated so they then get market share.
Thanks for the comment.

Already searched for inspiration, but the most are really bad made and/or don´t meet all the functions I want to have.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Thanks for your comment!

Do you have any suggestion for the software?

AppPresser

Alternatively, you can hire someone to make the app and the container, using something called webview. It's like 10 lines of code total, and can be done in an afternoon.

It's basically an iframe for apps.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Thanks for your reply!
In fact, nothing is special about my concept, besides the fee structure (50 euro fix per month vs paying 14% of order volume). It is the same concept, but a different enviroment. Lieferando, deliveroo and ubereats focus on large citys with many restaurants and opportunitys to order. In small towns (like mine) it is´nt established. One restaurant already has an online ordering system and I see that it´s used quite a lot. The reason they have no lieferando is that the restaurants are´nt listed on it. I guess because they don´t want to pay the fees for it. In such a small town you don´t have a big variety of restaurants to order, so people order at the same restaurants via mobilphone.

Size of market
My market would be all smaller citys in germany, in which the big player are´nt established. The plan is to develop the software first for one specific restaurant type (pizza restaurant) and than scale it from time to time. (100-500 customer is realistic in a longer term in my opinion -> 5000-25.000 a month). I don´t see me competing with lieferando as it is both online food ordering, but in a different area (like small towns. Restaurants in such areas are´nt as competetive and forced to pay 14% in order to be competetive, so they don´t.

I observed my social environment in the last months and the result is the following:

1) people order online, when the opportunity is there
2) people want to know when exactly their food is delivered/ want to track the process (like implemented in lieferando etc.)
3) in some cases the order is taken wrong or forgotten, because of communication issues
4) the driver does´nt find the house and drives back to the restaurant as they have no phone number to call (driver app could solve that )

Also the system creates value for the restaurants:
1) currently there are employees only to accept the phonecalls in order to take the orders
-> decreased wage cost
2) the delivery time is decreased for various reasons (driver app)
-> restaurant can deliver more orders in less time

I really appreciate your comment! Thanks

Let me know, if you see it different or when I have something missed out.

There is nothing more important than validating the assumptions that you are making. I learned it the hard way in my current business. My rule of thumb is: Assumptions can not be validated by logical thought. This is important. Remember it. You need to be right with your assumptions.

This is the list of assumptions you are making which I have gathered from the text above:
-a preference to your fee structure that results in signups
-they dont want to pay the fees
-the online service from the one restaurant is used a lot
-lieferando is not interested in smaller towns
-variety of restaurants
-people order via mobile phone
-big players are not focused on smaller cities
-100-500 customer is realistic
-1) do you have specific data for that town
-2) do you have specific data for that town
-3) is this a pain point, is there stats for it
-4) do you have data for this
-1a) is that true, back it up with real data
-2a) is that true, back it up with real data

What happens when you are wrong with one of these assumptions? The result might well be a complete failure of the startup. Take the first point as an example: What if it turns out they really dislike a fee structure and they also dislike your fee structure? To me that is game over of your business, wasted time and cost to develop the tech.

Sometimes its impossible to backup the assumption or the evidence is weakly backing up the assumption. In this case logical thought and weak assumption is the last method used to validate it. Nevertheless, these assumptions need extra analysis. What happens if I'm wrong? Is this a major red-flag?

Example:
"1) currently there are employees only to accept the phonecalls in order to take the orders
-> decreased wage cost"

This one you can validate by speaking to the person doing that job and/or the owner of the business. What is the problem/ how much time/ what goes wrong etc.etc. Do it with a handful of restaurants and you validate your assumption.
=But lets say the result is this: Well, yes we have a guy for that but tbh we always need to have somebody on the phone. Calls will continue to come in anyway and somebody needs to seat the guests in the restaurant. Even if we use your software.
= Your assumption is wrong. They still need to pay the guy so no decreased wage cost.
But what if you carried that assumption further down the line? Is it a major redflag? Maybe, maybe not. Potentially it reduces the actual value they receive, blocks and reduce your sales acquisition because after all its not worth paying for.

And that alone could kill you if your business concept relies on the assumption to be true.

You need to do this with everything you come across and it actually doesnt take as much time as you would think. From my point of view there are A LOT of other questions you need to be asking yourself. Market size, need, problems etc.

hope I can help

ukperson1

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Apr 22, 2020
UK
Like other said, there's several questions to ask yourself and the local market before you decide how to proceed. From a technical perspective, and having worked on online ordering systems such as food-ordering.co.uk, there are several approaches on the technology side. The cheapest one is probably to build something using Wordpress, not because it's the best but it's certainly the cheapest platform to use. Then there is a limited number of applications which you can purchase with the majority of them being made by indian companies or companies from similar countries. The system I worked on, above, is probably the exception to the rule but then again it's a slightly different offering. Anyway, the best thing is probably to try most of those out, see what functionality is offered, see how you like it and then decide. But like other said, it may be best to think offline first, before you make your first online steps. I hope this helps.

Some links/names you may find useful: Karenderia, Woocommerce, phpJabbers

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
AppPresser

Alternatively, you can hire someone to make the app and the container, using something called webview. It's like 10 lines of code total, and can be done in an afternoon.

It's basically an iframe for apps.
Wish I new about this before!

mrhollywood

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 10, 2021
If you are based in the UK/Europe try www.foodbooking.uk
The basic app is free, zero commission as well
They also offer website design, a free website builder, SEO, marketing and more.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.