The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Online Advertising not as easy as it used to be?

Marketing, social media, advertising

MartijnS

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 13, 2018
Utrecht, Netherlands
As a web developer, under the influence of TMF and Unscripted , I've been engaging in an experiment in developing a site with some potential to turn views into $$$ :
https://www.trump-or-tale.com/

It started as an idea, and instead of leaving it at just that, I decided to finally take that next step, and execute! I considered it a learning experience with the potential to make money.

After it was done, next step, was to try and promote the site. No luck with the major ones (AdSense, Facebook, Bing).. so after some research, Reddit seemed like a good place: some forums that would definitely constitute my target audience. Well, it's been a week and still no Ad approval. (They say they are still reviewing with an internal team).

Next stop was Stumbleupon, seemed like a good option. .. I try to sign up for an account, and it turns out that "[...] we are not able to accept new customers for the StumbleUpon Ads service at this time".

Seems like the days of easy advertisement placement are over. And my site is not even controversial, deceptive, etc, I wouldn't even call it clickbait.

Is this a sign of the times? Am I running into the washout of the Facebook-Russia thing, the Cambridge Analytics story? Everyone seems hesitant to accept ads. "Please take my money!", "Nah, we don't want it"

Next stop, influencers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Is this a sign of the times? Am I running into the washout of the Facebook-Russia thing, the Cambridge Analytics story? Everyone seems hesitant to accept ads. "Please take my money!", "Nah, we don't want it"
While many ad platforms have cut back due to the above and big advertisers are switching around budgets, there are many other things going on in the background at many top tier networks atm (adwords and FB i'm looking at you) that are causing unusually long ad review processes and all sorts of issues. What issue are you having? Just having issues getting ad accounts approved, or getting ads approved? or getting ads profitable?

FWIW I just spent 1 month getting approved for a well known Native network and they say it's their new normal right now.

MartijnS

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 13, 2018
Utrecht, Netherlands
... What issue are you having? Just having issues getting ad accounts approved, or getting ads approved? or getting ads profitable?

FWIW I just spent 1 month getting approved for a well known Native network and they say it's their new normal right now.

Getting ads approved in time (1 week and counting on Reddit), getting an account in the first place (Stumbleupon), and getting ad content approved (Bing).

Seems like the networks are very much hedging the risks, and if there is enough clean and safe supply (read, big established corporate), they can probably just afford that luxury.

focusedlife

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 16, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Not that I'm a traffic expert, however, Have you thought about the alternatives like:

• Ezine Traffic (think Arcamax style)
  • BuySellAds.com (And their variants)
  • Udimi (Not sure if they have different segments)
  • Purchase direct space from related high ranking blogs
  • Magazine Solos
  • Network Ads (Google, FB and Linked...they all have Network ads, now)
  • Podcast ads (No one really talking about this but I know someone that specializes in this)
Just some ideas and thanks for the rant.

Hope these were useful to help you get some eyeballs and traction (God I hate it when things don't happen as quickly as I'd hoped, either).

Regards,

Los

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
As a web developer, under the influence of TMF and Unscripted , I've been engaging in an experiment in developing a site with some potential to turn views into $$$ :
Trump or Tale

It started as an idea, and instead of leaving it at just that, I decided to finally take that next step, and execute! I considered it a learning experience with the potential to make money.

After it was done, next step, was to try and promote the site. No luck with the major ones (AdSense, Facebook, Bing).. so after some research, Reddit seemed like a good place: some forums that would definitely constitute my target audience. Well, it's been a week and still no Ad approval. (They say they are still reviewing with an internal team).

Next stop was Stumbleupon, seemed like a good option. .. I try to sign up for an account, and it turns out that "[...] we are not able to accept new customers for the StumbleUpon Ads service at this time".

Seems like the days of easy advertisement placement are over. And my site is not even controversial, deceptive, etc, I wouldn't even call it clickbait.

Next stop, influencers!

I had great success turning reddit posts into views,not at monetizing though.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
This looks like the kind of quiz that could offer to automatically post people's results to their social media account: "Ha ha, I'm 67% accurate at recognizing Fake Trump Tweets, click here to take the challenge yourself!"

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
i have no idea what your website is about,

see trump on a toilet with a bunch of affiliate links at the top along with trump quiz's true/false.

every day people are spammed and spammed with affiliate ads, buy this buy that.

what value are you offering to people?

people dont want to see a bunch of useless affiliate links to buy some crap online, EVERYONE sees this every day, youtube, facebook.. for the love of christ almighty whenevevr im watching youtube on my iphone im spammed spammed spammed with ads that i have 0 interest in.

even this forum my ad blocker is on yet i still see some ads placed on the side, spare change has no interest in these ads... and trust me, im not the only one

money chasing money chasing

Colm Dolan

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 9, 2019
Sydney, Australia
Advertisers are really worried about brand safety now. Its a real hot topic. Especially with all those ads displaying on Youtube next to ISIS murders and celebrity ads on Google. Networks are getting really strict in which publishers can be accepted on their programme too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.