The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One Reason I Love My Wife

Anything related to matters of the mind

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Ten Reasons I Love My Wife
Subtitled : What To Look For In A Fast Lane Life Partner

So I was talking with my wife last night, and she asked me what I was going to do next after the exit event from my current "project." I laughed and said we were going to sit on the beach for 6 months and then decide from there. She was very serious when she said I should be working on that next chapter...now.

That's one of the reasons I love my wife.

1. She sees the trajectory of our current business, and understands where it leads

2. She's engaged enough and supportive enough that she is a major reason why we are where we are

3. She likes money

4. She knows me well enough to know that I will never stop. I like to pretend that I will, but I won't and she knows it

5. She prompts me to get to the next level

6. She's interested

7. She's encouraging

8. She's a driver. She's not a nag. She helps me push the envelope.

9. She's a risk taker

10. She's rock solid in her commitment and support

And I realized... she's the perfect Fast Lane wife.

I think as you read the forums here, and you read stories from people who post "well... my girl friend thinks my business ideas are stupid..."

There's a concept about being equally yoked. If every time I failed, my wife took a "see... I told you so" attitude, I probably never would have gotten back up off the canvas and tried again. I have a friend who started a business, and when times got tough his wife pushed him back into a clock punching job. Just kill me now. My wife did the opposite. She helped me back up off that mat, and gave me the ability to get back into the ring.

So... that's what I would look for if I were you. Someone capable of coming along side you, providing wind in your sails, and rather than tying you down... casting off the bow lines and setting you sailing.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

DeletedUser2

mine rocks!

when we were totally broke, and I got tossed out of my own company, they offered me back a job if i took a paycheck, I went to my wife and said. im not an employee. I want to start another business.

She said. do what you have to do. so she let me take our last 1000 bucks, and I started the company that I took public.

She is AWESOME! very supportive. and she knows she married an entrepreneur. and not an employee.

:)

Z

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Saw Vigilante link this thread in the "other" marriage thread, and I thought it was worth bringing back to life.

My wife grew up in a family where the lack of money was a source of constant stress and anxiety.

Her reception to my Fastlane transformation has been slow, especially as I went through a rocky year of scams and failures, but she's come around to fully support me. Her eyes are open, and she's seeing how the typical 9-5 get a job mentality just doesn't work out for a lot of people.

She:

Recently told me I need to quit my job (when 2 years ago this idea terrified her)

Brags to all her friends, family, and coworkers about me all the time.

Gave an immediate "yes" to the question, "Hey, this Texas heat is miserable, do you want to spend next summer in Sweden instead?"

Doesn't even ask questions about money... just assumes that I've got it all taken care of.

Has complete faith in me.

Doesn't dismiss me, or think it's ridiculous, when I talk about us having millions. Or building that custom home in the neighborhood we like. Or when I say that I wan't to be retired at 35.

Is the rock in my life and I love her.

Here's to our wives :happy:

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
There's a concept about being equally yoked.

I think this is where it falls apart for most people. I'm a great wife for an aggressive, risk-taking doer. I'd be a really, really bad wife for a man who never took action, just talked about his ideas (kill me the F*ck now)

Doer, action taker, go-getter, go crazy, take risks, fail, break things, make money, lose money, start over...All GOOD. Losses do not scare me, BKs do not scare me, foreclosures do not scare me. A quitter or dreamer scares me. I can get behind a go-getter, I can support that. I can eat catfood as he builds another company. As long as he is taking consistent action to move forward, it is all good. Put me with a dreamer who is afraid to start, or never starts, or never follows through, or lets other make decisions for him or dithers and I'd be the most unsupportive person you ever saw. I'd snap a chord, I'm just not wired away.

Compatibility is key.

It is a two-way street. If you want your spouse to support you, give him/her something meaningful to get behind and support.

Vigilante, your wife is as lucky to have you, as you are to have her.

I thank my lucky stars every day that RE Taipan came into my life and my son's life. I am glad that when his business went under in 2007/08 that he got back up again in 2009 and went back at it. Our life is vastly different today because of his tenacity and willingness to take action even in the face of such a difficult financial loss.

It is so much easier when you both play for the same team.

Best to you and to your wife!

Sue

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Wow, your wife and mine are very similar. I'm thankful everyday for my wife. She is my biggest fan and such an encourager but she's sure to keep me in check when necessary.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Sounds like my wife.

She may not be interested in learning "the fastlane" like I am and has very little interest in learning to be entrepreneurial but what she does know is hard work and getting shit done.

When I say I "should" get to something she will not eas up on me until it's done. Excuses bounce off her like bullets fired at superman. I've hinted at things "I really should get to" and by the time I get to work I have an email waiting about who she has called about it and our next steps to get it done.

No doubt about it she keeps me in line and is the reason I am half as successful as I am now (even if that is currently in the slowlane). Now that I'm moving onto the "action" side of getting my own side income started she is cracking the whip and supporting me every single day.

I could not imagine for a second trying to be successful with a girl/guy who just drags you down. Motivation and action is hard enough with all the help in the world - I don't even know how it would be possible with a weight dragging you down every day.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Leave it to @Vigilante to under promise and over deliver. Title says "One Reason..." and he gives 10. :)

With all the talk on the other thread I have to say I have been married to my wife almost 31 years and we beat the odds in many ways. We both came from divorced families, blue collar, limited vision families. We both decided that our past would not define our future. Doesn't work for everyone but it works for us.

We both have learned a lot about business together. I am the more aggressive one and she is very supportive. I give her full access to the financials and passwords. I have created full information in case I am not able to continue on and she can take over. We talk about the directions and changes together.

I remember that buying our first investment property made us both so nervous and hyper. We were like kids at Christmas. Now a new property or investment is no big deal for either of us.

We have grown together over the years and I don't foresee a time without her.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
When I was young and climbing the corporate ladder, that's all I knew. The older generation taught us that this was the path to prosperity. Granted, that is the same older generation which now has the highest quantity of people on welfare in the history of the United States.

Point being most people have had it reinforced in them since we were very young that the traditional route was the secure route. It's a lie, of course, but maybe it wasn't a few decades ago.

People are waiting for a chance to prove you wrong. They're waiting for a "gotcha" moment as they cheer against your success... because your success in the Fast Lane mindset goes directly against the current.

You can't be yoked to someone who takes an opportunity when the current gets too strong to tell you to stop swimming. You'll drown.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Tell your wife "Who says we have to be lazing around to enjoy Maui?"

Excellent post. Speed+++ Hopefully the 20-somethings round here will stop being so pessimistic and just break up with their unsupportive girlfriends, then go find one worth their salt.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Awwww.... this thread has got me all teary-eyed ;)

You guys are awesome :) I'm glad that you have such amazing women to share your lives with!!

I'm lucky to have my husband, too - he is really supportive and encouraging. I know that if he were the opposite, it would make this struggle so much harder.

Perfect pre-Valentines Day thread!

Last edited:

RalphQ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
440%
Feb 1, 2013
Miami, FL
10. She's rock solid in her commitment and support

This is so important! My wife is the best all-around partner I could ask for. While she says she doesn't "work", her influence in our businesses is impactful.

I can honestly say that I would not have achieved the level of success that we have, without her commitment and support.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
You're very lucky to have a wife like yours. I need to find me one if those. Lol

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I really appreciate you guys sharing your positive stories. We need more of that in relation to women on this forum. I love reading these! :)

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Vigilante I'm very j̶e̶a̶l̶o̶u̶s̶ happy for you. You are a lucky man. I am building something from scratch at the moment and mine won't even want to listen to what I have to say. :tiphat:

You can't change someone over night, it's a long process. 2 months after I got scammed out of $5,000 for a 2nd time, I decided to try importing. I mentioned it once to my wife and she was not cool with it. So I did it anyways, but just didn't tell her. My first product was a smashing success, and after selling it for two months, she asked me "Hey, I was thinking about trying a product X, have you heard of them?" to which I replied, "Yeah... I've got like 100 of them in the office right now...."

Be confident, make your business work, and in the meantime keep providing for her and your family. I found that talking more about my daily successes and less about how much I wanted to quit my job, was what slowly changed my wife's outlook.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
http://taxfoundation.org/article/who-are-americas-millionairesThere are some posts here and there giving the impression that entrepreneurs need to be solo renegade dropout business beast celibate monks. I think reality is far far from from that meme out in the real world. The media largely sensationalizes the aforementioned monk renegades and does budding entrepreneurs a big disservice by creating false impressions. I'd like to see the studies on millionaire entrepreneurs but I'd think like The Millionaire Next Door book, most are married, kids, live within their means, have worked in industry, maybe worked in family company, went to college and then hung out their own shingle after some experience.

Young entrepreneurs should separate fact from media sensationalism fiction in order not to fall into the false reality trap.

According to taxfoundation.org on 2010 IRS data:

86% of millionaire tax returns are married. 86%.

80% older than 45, 50% older than 55

Millionaires are highly educated

8% lower income have college degree
while 78% of high income do have degree

Just 9% of upper brackets have only HS or less.

Millionaires are largely driven by pass through business income vs. wage(employee for someone else i.e. wall street etc..)

This is just one source for 1 tax year but I suspect it's fairly similar across multiple years.

It's good to take a look at reality, beyond the sensationalist media always throwing the lightning strike dropout solo billionaire in peoples' faces, to see what factors are MOST common among millionaires. I believe good entrepreneurs do not embrace risk for the sake of embracing risk, but rather do what they can to mitigate risk in new ventures to capture the reward. The data suggests these are the factors that give the highest probability of becoming fast lane entrepreneurs.

So get out of your command center holes all you Ronnie Renegade Monks and get married, become millionaires ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I wonder what % of self made multimillionaires got there without taking risks?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Steve37

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Sep 4, 2012
And I realized... she's the perfect Fast Lane wife.

I think as you read the forums here, and you read stories from people who post "well... my girl friend thinks my business ideas are stupid..."

There's a concept about being equally yoked. If every time I failed, my wife took a "see... I told you so" attitude, I probably never would have gotten back up off the canvas and tried again. I have a friend who started a business, and when times got tough his wife pushed him back into a clock punching job. Just kill me now. My wife did the opposite. She helped me back up off that mat, and gave me the ability to get back into the ring.

There is so much truth to this that it is hard to state just how impactful and important it is. I've been kicked in the nuts a ton the past several years and my wife continues to help me get up, move on, and provide perspective.

You are a very lucky guy.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
there are many horror stories (going both ways) in marriages because people wouldn't be transparent to their partner about their finances.

Read "My wife grew up in a family where the lack of money was a source of constant stress and anxiety" as: money still does and will forever stress the hell out of her and she doesn't want to talk about it. She just needs to know that there is enough to pay the bills and go to Target a couple of times a month :). I hide nothing, and have always followed our one rule of keeping business and personal finances separate.

My husband and I have our own accounts and manage our own hard earned money individually and responsibly

And we have one account, that I handle individually and responsibly.

She's a keeper!
I'll agree with that!

Rigged

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 17, 2015
New York
Vigilante I'm very j̶e̶a̶l̶o̶u̶s̶ happy for you. You are a lucky man. I am building something from scratch at the moment and mine won't even want to listen to what I have to say. :tiphat:

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
My gilfriend fits #4, #5 only in the corporate world, and halfway on #10-this last one I'm sure she would eventually give up on support if I shot and missed a few times with no corporate job.

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Lucky you. Many years ago, at the company I used to work for, I overheard the wife of a veteran employee complaining that her husband might lose his job. She turned and seriously remarked to me that if he loses his job he better find another one, or find another family.....I was in serious malaise. Damn what a cold bitch!!!

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Maybe this is why I'm still single. Maybe it's cause I haven't met the right one. Thanks. I needed this to remind most women won't be a good fit.

Steve37

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Sep 4, 2012
when we were totally broke, and I got tossed out of my own company, they offered me back a job if i took a paycheck, I went to my wife and said. im not an employee. I want to start another business.

Does this story already exist on the forum somewhere? If not - are you willing to share?

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Very lucky indeed. :)

Your wife has the fundamental quality we should all look for in a partner: Understanding and Support. After all why would you need a partner for? Its called a "partner" for a reason.

Someone who understands what you are after and why. Someone who can unconditionally accept the mishaps that come along and accept you even if they DONT completely understand you.

A great partner/ spouse is the best business partner indeed. cheers!

CryptO

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 20, 2012
The Blockchain
She is realistic, provides support and keeps me on the straight and narrow. Stops me from going over the edge and taking too much risk!

At first I thought this was a bad thing but infact she's probably saved me from burning quite allot of money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.