The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One of the biggest issues I see with aspiring Fastlaners

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I've posted about this a number of times here before. A lot of times I've gotten PMs asking to expand further. I haven't really been able to since it's not a subject I feel can be explained in a sentence or few. I wrote this blog post today that I feel like will help a lot of Fastlaners:

Entrepreneurial Diworsification | Forever Jobless

MJ lays out really clearly what a lot of people here need to be focused on. However, if you scan through the forums, you still see a lot of the same people posting their 'idea of the week/month'. Because of their lack of attention to their best idea, and people's misapplication of 'diversification', they are KILLING their chance at being successful.

If you're applying what MJ teaches in his book, but scattering it across 74 new ideas, your chance of real success goes pretty close to 0.

Hope this is helpful.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
Nice post snowbank. And for including good counter arguments to the popular reasons people go for diworsification.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Great stuff. Just headed to your blog on my own a few minutes ago and was surprised to find this! Literally 10 minutes after talking to somebody about me having this very issue.

Just what I needed to hear, thanks for this.

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
As I tell a lot of wantrapreneurs in the local Seattle scene... If it takes 210% to get your company running, and you're putting 60% in each to 3 different projects, you're going to fall 150% short on each project. Find one and stop wanting to preneu. ;)

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Looks like I've made my decision. Thanks for the post.

ramblindawg

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 29, 2013
Burbank, USA
Concise,convincing and powerful blog post. I especially liked this thought:
"Google should not be the determining factor on whether you make money or not. Your business abilities should."

I need to constantly remind myself to put most of my energies in my highest-income-generating tasks...your blog post is a great reminder.

danf

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 19, 2012
I couldn't agree more that focus is critical. My problem is a bit different. I have a full time job at a very good company making very good money. If I don't focus on it completely, I'll be left behind. On the other hand, despite it being in a hot high-tech area, someday the gravy train will end unless I hit it big at a startup. Obviously hoping to "hit it big" is not exactly under my control even if I'm the best in my field.

My choices seem to be:
a) Keep working and hoping that I will join the next IPO startup. This is my current default choice except I will need to join a startup..
b) Keep working at 80% effort and put 20% in my own side business. (I can't quit my job... family)
c) Figure out how to get VC investment and start a serious startup business I can focus on completely.

(a) above is killing me because it feels like I'm sticking my head in the sand. I know it's not going to last forever and when it ends it's going to hurt.
(b) seems like the diversification that will make me crappy in all areas. Sure, I can run some mediocre website with 20% of my time, but what will that accomplish?
(c) sounds OK and as a founder I could get a big payoff. But control of course goes to the VC's who will be the real owners of the company.

Help? What would you do? I've been struggling with this for a long time and pretending everything is OK. But there is an oncoming train...

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
Excellent point Snowbank! I think people need to prioritize. Nothing will keep them from those other ideas but focus on one to start. I know I'm guilty of this at times. I'm just now getting to a point of "daisy chaining" my ideas and approaching them with : this plan first leading to this plan second.....etc. my original plan hit a snag so I've put it on a back burner for now (there was also a slight technology shift that I was to stubborn to pay attention to, much like RIMM). I'm working on 4 plans presently but I'm giving them a timeline and they're pretty much interconnected. The idea is I'll use the momentum from one to roll into the other rather than attempting the shotgun blast approach, I.e. everything everywhere, which is what you're addressing I believe.

I also think people are afraid if running with the wrong idea. Sort of the same fear as marrying the wrong person so they keep looking for the better option. Also sort of like stock picking, they read an article and run with the new hot stock.

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
Just think about how long it takes to become an expert in anything...

I've been full-time/self-employed in IM since 2005 and I think that 2011 was the year that I started learning so much I realized I don't know anything about the industry. That's also the last time I stopped doing any freelance work... :)

I recommend that people stick to one project at a time until they have the systems in place that fast-track the lead-time of future product releases. Most people are generally clueless and think that every idea is worth chasing.

Pick one, get good at it... then when you feel there's room for you to do the exact same thing elsewhere go for it.

Otherwise, you're just playing the business success guessing game with multiple things in the oven.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I couldn't agree more that focus is critical. My problem is a bit different. I have a full time job at a very good company making very good money. If I don't focus on it completely, I'll be left behind. On the other hand, despite it being in a hot high-tech area, someday the gravy train will end unless I hit it big at a startup. Obviously hoping to "hit it big" is not exactly under my control even if I'm the best in my field.

My choices seem to be:
a) Keep working and hoping that I will join the next IPO startup. This is my current default choice except I will need to join a startup..
b) Keep working at 80% effort and put 20% in my own side business. (I can't quit my job... family)
c) Figure out how to get VC investment and start a serious startup business I can focus on completely.

(a) above is killing me because it feels like I'm sticking my head in the sand. I know it's not going to last forever and when it ends it's going to hurt.
(b) seems like the diversification that will make me crappy in all areas. Sure, I can run some mediocre website with 20% of my time, but what will that accomplish?
(c) sounds OK and as a founder I could get a big payoff. But control of course goes to the VC's who will be the real owners of the company.

Help? What would you do? I've been struggling with this for a long time and pretending everything is OK. But there is an oncoming train...

Your situation isn't different at all - in fact, it's probably the exact same that most people on this forum face. Have a job, make o.k. money, have to work because of family responsibilities - but you know that there is something better out there for you.

You said you can put 80% into your job and 20% into your business. Something that dknise said on this thread made a lot of sense. You've got to put 210% into your business (or at least a number higher than 100%).

If you can only work on it a little at a time, it doesn't mean that it will never work - just that it will take a lot longer. Let's just assume that it usually takes 2 years to really see a business start making a profit when working it full time. Doing it part time might take 5 years, but it doesn't mean that it's not worth doing.

ubiquitous

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Sep 13, 2012
If you can only work on it a little at a time, it doesn't mean that it will never work - just that it will take a lot longer. Let's just assume that it usually takes 2 years to really see a business start making a profit when working it full time. Doing it part time might take 5 years, but it doesn't mean that it's not worth doing.
Even though it may feel good to think that way that's not how things typically work.

Keyword: Momentum.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Even though it may feel good to think that way that's not how things typically work.

Keyword: Momentum.

Actually, it sucks to think this is the way it works... lol.

You gotta do what you gotta do. If someone has to have a job to pay the bills, that's what they've got to do. Thousands of really successful business have been started while the founders have been working other jobs. It's the way things go. Just off the top of my head, I think the original founder of Longhorn's restaurant was a bartender at another place while he got his restaurant off the ground. And I think of Sara Blakely of Spanx... jeez, that's a success story if I've ever heard one.

I'm sure there are people on this forum who have worked full time and started a successful business. And what about those mom's who have kids and have launched businesses?

Of course, I'm not saying that momentum isn't important, but you can have it even if you don't have quite as much time to devote to the business as you'd like.

Let's not use a full time job as an excuse for not taking action.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/ge...ideos-links-etc-ebay-thread-4.html#post261189

4529d1359406139-ebooks-videos-links-etc-ebay-thread-img_0082.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CEBenz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Apr 16, 2011
Tacoma, Wa
I finally read the blog post. I got a bit of a wrong idea just reading your post here. I think you nailed it Snowbank. I have a friend with a small e commerce biz that profits about $80k a year and he us number one in google for his keywords but, only a fraction of his traffic comes from google. His traffic mainly comes from various enthusiast sites where people have linked to him. Some even from industry websites when he's been mentioned in national publications. And guess what. No google update hits.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

It doesn't really seem like there's much of a struggle. It seems like you're just waiting. No one else can do it for you.(no one wants to hear it, but you've gotta just grind once in a while)

My choices seem to be:

a. hoping you'll join the next ipo? don't hope for things, make them happen.
b. it's not that you "can't" quit your job, it's that right now you're refusing to look for a way that you could, since it seems hard.
c. if you have a great business, you don't need to "figure out" much for how to raise money. just figure out a great business- the rest gets really easy after that. probably won't even need money anymore.

anthonycSPA

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Feb 8, 2013
UK
Great post snowbank.

I was wondering if you think it's ok for a start up on a low budget to try a couple if low cost ventures simultaneously to generate some funds so later you can concentrate on bigger projects.

All the best

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I was wondering if you think it's ok for a start up on a low budget to try a couple if low cost ventures simultaneously to generate some funds so later you can concentrate on bigger projects

Cash generating projects are different than starting/running a company. It's fine if it's a good use of your time. Cash is extremely helpful when starting up.

However, I don't know many people who start up a bunch of random things to generate cash, that they couldn't have done better generating cash by spending their time doing only what generates them the most cash.

~Phil

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 3, 2014
Philly Suburbs
I've posted about this a number of times here before. A lot of times I've gotten PMs asking to expand further. I haven't really been able to since it's not a subject I feel can be explained in a sentence or few. I wrote this blog post today that I feel like will help a lot of Fastlaners:

Entrepreneurial Diworsification | Forever Jobless

MJ lays out really clearly what a lot of people here need to be focused on. However, if you scan through the forums, you still see a lot of the same people posting their 'idea of the week/month'. Because of their lack of attention to their best idea, and people's misapplication of 'diversification', they are KILLING their chance at being successful.

If you're applying what MJ teaches in his book, but scattering it across 74 new ideas, your chance of real success goes pretty close to 0.

Hope this is helpful.

I realize this thread started some time ago but its timely for anyone who's spread themselves to thin.

Great stuff @snowbank ++

Willsonjohn90

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 15, 2015
Chandigarh, India
Great post snowbank.

I was wondering if you think it's OK for a start up on a low budget to try a couple if low cost ventures simultaneously to generate some funds so later you can concentrate on bigger projects.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
That's not me. I've stayed with the same business field for a while and I've kept my focus mainly on what I'm good at, outsourcing the other stuff. I also recently took some time to learn more about business strategy and created a new strategy which I'll be using from now on. Right now I'm striving to be the best I can be at my specialty and become one of the very top people in the world at it, maybe even the very best. You're right, jumping from one thing to another sucks and doesn't work, because the world doesn't reward you for mediocrity.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.