The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

OMFG This Hurt

A post of a ranting nature...

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
There is a difference between an Electronics Engineer and an Electronics Mechanic. Ask @JScott.
This is one of the things I respect the most about respect MJ.

He doesn't hard sell his philosophy. He shares his views as authentically and honestly as he can and lets "the chips fall where they may".

That's why I gravitated to this forum and bought his second book.

His approach reminds me of the quote: "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

He mentions in his interviews that he doesn't believe entrepreneurship is for everyone. I agree.

The problem I see in @jon.a 's story is if his shipmate's pursuit was predicated on the assumption that being promoted was the only way to increase income.

Why is that a problem? Like MJ has stated, planning your financial strategy around HOPE and TIME is very dangerous.

If the shipmate wished to become an Electronics Engineer for non-financial reasons such as a sense of purpose, mastery of his craft, status in the hierarchy, etc. I don't see any reason to pity him - he deserves congratulations.

I didn't shit on him to him, I let him be proud. I just quoted him here.
I respectfully disagree.

You're projecting your own perceptions of happiness and success onto people you don't know or haven't even met.

He's gonna regret it based on what evidence? Based on the fact that if you were in his position you'd regret it?

Everyone views the world in different ways.

Imagine someone coming up to you and saying being an entrepreneur is stupid, you need to grow up and get a job, you're gonna regret it ten years from now, etc. How would you feel?

Let other people live man lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

startinup

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Jul 8, 2016
It's not our job to wake everyone up...

It comes down to two different types of people with fundamentally different beliefs:

Gripers: These are people who believe that they're not responsible for their situation, society should change because the world is supposed to behave fairly, others should change the way they act to make them happy, they shouldn't have to grow to get better results, etc.

Growers: These are people who believe they're responsible for the problems in their life, they can't change society and must learn to operate within it, they can change their behavior so people respond differently, they must grow to attain better results, etc.

---

The people who are gripers may complain and be unhappy with their jobs, but even if we told them there was a better way, would they take the opportunity? After reading MJ's books would they think - "wow that's me, I need to make better choices" or "This MJ guy is a dick, I shouldn't have to change, society should make life fairer for everyone"?

Their beliefs stop them from even considering that they're responsible. Until they change those beliefs, they can't be woken up. So while they may hate their job or the bills piling up on their table, they won't change.

Growers that are unhappy with their jobs will try to find a better way.

---

Not saying that @jon.a's friend is a griper or a grower.

Jess Grey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
An old shipmate that used to work for me just posted this on FB...

"So, you know the old adage, "Good things come to those who wait"? Well, to that my Mother would tack on two words, "and PRAY".

So, we waited and prayed and today I found out that I got the promotion I worked so hard for.

I am officially an Electronics Mechanic.

Thank you to everyone that supported me and helped me along the way and prayed."

I almost cried.
I think it's great that he attained a goal he's been working towards for what sounds like a long time. There's not much I can add here that others haven't as I also believe that our goals and dreams for our futures can and will be very different from each other (see: slowlane/fastlane). I'm also a firm believer that celebrating milestones along the way is important and that's what he's doing. While he doesn't sound like the type to take this milestone and immediately look toward his next goal, he's proud of where he's gotten himself. Good on him.

jsk29

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
314%
Jul 30, 2014
US
There is a difference between an Electronics Engineer and an Electronics Mechanic. Ask @JScott.

Oops, my own projections are coming out!

That one word change really does make a big difference in perceived value :(

edit: actual value too..

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I don't know many people (including many entrepreneurs) who are so excited about what they do day-in and day-out that they wish for the opportunity to do it for 30 more years.

Perhaps you're just jealous? ;)

So jealous! lol. I actually remember the day where I got a huge cake and celebratory party for my 5 years of service at the company. The only people excited were the 40 who attended, I was in the most depressed state of my life that day. I earned 1 extra day of vacation per year, a free pin, and a $100 gift card also which can only be used at the companies stores (I threw it out). I quit 2 months later and started my consulting company. It was around the same time I read this book and frequented the forums a lot more and it was a huge game changer for me. #ibleedfastlane

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas

"So, you know the old adage, "Good things come to those who wait"? Well, to that my Mother would tack on two words, "and PRAY".

So, we waited and prayed and today I found out that I got the promotion I worked so hard for.

Thank you to everyone that supported me and helped me along the way and prayed."

I almost cried.
Some people are happy to be a cog on a wheel of a big machine (and thank God for them). I have been a cog in the wheel of big machine too but it was not for me. I understood that eventually the cog wears out or becomes outdated at which point it either gets replaced or removed all together. The machine requires the cogs but it's not emotionally attached to the cog. The cog is a commodity and replaceable. BTW I do not believe that having a corporate job is a bad thing if you are using it as a launch pad to fund your future prosperity. Stacking cash to invest to get you free.
If you don’t build your dream someone will hire you to help build theirs. I choose to build my dream not someone else's dream.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Hehe what I meant was, society is obviously not perfect and everyone has to find their place. So this "perfect world" is not coming anytime soon, so for now, like the guy who would use facts (there are people that would work for decades in a company) for profit, I just said that we work with facts instead of the usual run of the mill philosophy you heard from the neighborhood.

That, however borders on conflicted philosophies since entrepreneurs think differently from employees and the issue of helping another person to "switch" to unscripted philosophy (like what MJ is doing with his books) or not, is there.

My statement was meant to point out that, the fact we have people who are happy working for decades on end for an employer, is lucky for us, because without them, there would be no one left to hire.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
because without them, there would be no one left to hire.

The system already figured it out. We have empathy and compassion for the others because we know exactly how they feel. But we're not getting much favorable responses from them.

There's still hope. It looks like the battle for the crops has begun.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.3 KB · Views: 11

Ross Morgan

Fortch
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Dec 22, 2015
Valencia CA
I thought of this thread today when my boss said: "Money won't buy you happiness. You remember that."
I get the same feeling when my dad says: "You need to get an education so you can get some skills so you can get a good job. If you had gone to school you would have been graduating X years earlier. That's X years of good income you've wasted."
I know what I would like to say when I hear these statements but refuting the script can get old sometimes. Especially with severely scripted individuals who are incapable of thinking any differently.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I thought of this thread today when my boss said: "Money won't buy you happiness. You remember that."
I get the same feeling when my dad says: "You need to get an education so you can get some skills so you can get a good job. If you had gone to school you would have been graduating X years earlier. That's X years of good income you've wasted."
I know what I would like to say when I hear these statements but refuting the script can get old sometimes. Especially with severely scripted individuals who are incapable of thinking any differently.

Money buys me happiness.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
when my boss said: Money won't buy you happiness. You remember that."

And slaving for your boss Monday thru Friday for 50 years, will that buy happiness?

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Have you ever noticed that people who say,"Money won't buy you happiness." are usually poor and unhappy. Which instantly disqualifies them from dispensing the advice in my book. First get rich and then I will listen to what you have to say about money.

carlolacson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Mar 17, 2014
Quezon City, Philippines
I have an officemate who's really great in coding. And he rants too much about the company not giving him the promotion he deserves.

I asked him "why don't you start your own web dev agency or software company?"

he paused...Nah! that's too much work besides I will be promoted next month then I can finally brag to people that I'm in a senior level position"

Jamiethion

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jul 6, 2017
California
He even has to get up at 3 to be to work by 5.
Gross. I say that, to say this hopefully you buddy is stacking those coins and spending as much time with his family than he can stand. News like that is rewarding hell I'm waiting on interviews.

Last edited:

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA

I almost cried.

Everyone cannot have a fastlane mentality. In fact, the large majority of people cannot have the fastlane mentality. This is not the only path to happiness and fulfillment. If you're wired a certain way, then yeah, this is it. But everyone is wired differently. If he's really genuinely happy, then just be happy for him. It's somewhat arrogant to think that just because entrepreneurship and fastlane thinking is the way you or I are happy, that other's are happy from that too.

Yeah, there's tons of people who are slaves to their jobs and genuinely unhappy...but I've known just as many people who really like their work and their lives.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Everyone cannot have a fastlane mentality. In fact, the large majority of people cannot have the fastlane mentality. This is not the only path to happiness and fulfillment. If you're wired a certain way, then yeah, this is it. But everyone is wired differently. If he's really genuinely happy, then just be happy for him. It's somewhat arrogant to think that just because entrepreneurship and fastlane thinking is the way you or I are happy, that other's are happy from that too.

Yeah, there's tons of people who are slaves to their jobs and genuinely unhappy...but I've known just as many people who really like their work and their lives.

I don't think fastlane and living Unscripted are necessarily the same thing though.

The Script is a lie, regardless of whether people are happy living that lie or not.

Cows are happy following the cow Script and just eating grass all day out in the field too, ya know?

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
You may have a point.

In my experience, the majority of people have an innate desire to be led.

The script may be a lie to me or you... but someone with a different mindset, maybe it's not for them. If it's a script, we all play different roles, right?

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Let's just be honest with ourselves here.

Deep down, nobody wants to do redundant stuff all their lives. All of us want to experience life, buy what we want, provide for our family, and have fun. This is in fact the motivations many of us have.

Many of them are forced to. For the scripted, it's the only way. They don't know any better.

Just think of the side-effects of being deep in scripted mindset. The effects on physical health, emotional health, finances, relationships, and your personal aspirations. All the while thinking, no no you're fine. You're doing good.

They are literally rationalizing themselves into happiness. Or at least "twisting the truth" so it is more palatable.

There are many things out there being hidden under the rug. The context behind it is what's more important.

We're not supposed to live like that. Enslaved. Stressed out. Underpaid. Expendable. Subtly Inhibited from following our hearts.

There might be or might not be a conspiracy about this. It's just that the majority is often wrong. Why? Because they don't think for themselves.

Society is still relatively new. It evolved into "this" along with us. Those who take advantage of this system enjoy massive leverage, while those who blindly follow the crowd are left confused. They can do that because they are awake, self-aware. And they could not bear the pain of being a part of the "fearful, excuse-making" masses, while seeing clearly how it worked.

I can understand that situations vary. Some are not in it for the long run just like I was.

And think about those who were able to rise above it. What happened there? They were "wired" just the same. Different wiring? More like different way of saying "excuses".

I think it boils down to attitude. Either you take responsibility for your whole life or position yourself so that you can blame others (the corporation, the economy, your boss whatever) for what's happening to you. Either you face the truth that you are the cause of events, or cower and blame it on somebody else.

If that's the "wiring" that you people often talk about then that's wiring that can be helped with self-awareness, self-education and decision.

Instead of saying you're "wired differently" and simply accept that as your fate.

We all have tried making excuses when we were afraid. Some of us just choose to push through that fear.

What makes some of us choose differently? It's not wiring.

It's simply choice. Powered by a newfound or chosen purpose. This leads us to the conclusion that those who don't exercise their power of choice essentially are like drones and zombies. Which is not far from the truth.

Last edited:

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
It's time to celebrate!

I was listening to the radio and overheard this message:
A radiohost nonironically reported that, after months and months of hard discussions, the employees of a well known fast food franchise in Germany are getting a raise.
He congratulated them and said their hard work finally paid off.

Instead of earning the minimum wage of 8,84€/h, they are now earning 9€/h.

16 cent

That's 6,40€ per week.
360€ per year.

Sure, having an additional 360€ is great.
But hmm.. aren't there more efficient ways to earn 360€ than begging your employee for months?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.